Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I have strong allergies to molds and fungi and i read an article how allergies can cause hair loss and that the allergens that caused hair loss the most were molds and fungi. I have a prescription to zyrtec and cut up my pills in 1/4s so each is 2.5 mg each. My question is, is why not just microdose zyrtec instead of apply topically? It sounds like you guys are applying a huge amount of the drug to your scalp and seeing that most people get some side effects from it means it is becoming systemic. Wouldn't a microdose of cetirizine help just the same? I never really kept up on taking the pills because I never heard any truth to it and just came to my own assumption it may work after reading the article, but after seeing this I am really interested in seeing its results. Gonna start micro dosing it now and see if it helps. Let me know your opinions.

I think the thought is that oral dose won't get CET to the scalp effectively...has to go through the liver and every cell that feeds from the bloodstream directly would take away from the concentration...

...I think it is widely believed that topical solution is the only way we'll ever really grow back any substantial hair....

bjk1903

Reaction score
I want to start this treatment soon but really don't have time to look through previous posts to see how people apply. Can someone give me a description on how the solution is prepared and applied? Thank you all kindly!

ohmanohno

Established Member
Reaction score
Dissolve zyrtec pills (roughly 65) in water and apply to your scalp twice daily as you would minoxidil. I use an old rogaine container.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think if this actually works which I still have my doubts, a company will turn this into a commercial treatment especially if it gets strong regrowth which is really what every man is looking for. Preventing hair loss is not as obvious as major regrowth so I think the money is in regrowing hair if we can find it.
Maybe I should just come back in 6 months to see if this stuff actually worked long term or not. Its easy to imagine things for hair loss and its really hard long term to judge something that happens so slowly which helps all those snake oil salesmen.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should just come back in 6 months to see if this stuff actually worked long term or not. Its easy to imagine things for hair loss and its really hard long term to judge something that happens so slowly which helps all those snake oil salesmen.

Yes, I suggest you take a break and check back in about 6 months or a year.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
If this is still going by then, of course. I've only been on hair loss forums a year, and it's depressing how many user experiments fizzle out. :(

david_12

Reaction score
Cetirizine - Oral Vs. Topical

Dear All,

I am a new poster on here although I have been an avid lurker over the last two years.

I am interested in the current developments with Cet. However, due to my lack of knowledge etc, I dont fully understand why everyone is suggesting the topical option is better than the oral route. I have checked Cet pharmacology details on the web and the drug has a half life of at least 8 hours? It is well absorbed and most of it is excreted from the body unchanged. However it does display a high proportion of protein binding, in which case the active form may be in the body but will display inactive properties due to binding with a protein. I dont know if this is also the case if applied topically.

Now, has anyone got any data which compares the two methods? Or are we not even at that stage yet? I have seen so many posts on here and other websites which do not give a justifiable answer for ' the only way is topical '. I have read somewhere topical is favourable to prevent side-effects.

Many thanks

Dave

Avacfc

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions. Been on cet with water 2 months today. I started with a pretty bad shed but since then i have noticed some vellus hairs all around the hairline and im am loosing virtually no hairs at all.

Progress seems to have slowed down a little bit or it maybe that i am being a bit to keen. But i was wondering whether we are 100% sure that the white sticky stuff left over at the bottom when mixing the cet is only tablet coating. I say this because when i start getting to the bottom of my batch and my cet gets stickier my hair seems to feel a lot better in condition. Could it be that this is cetirizine that has not disolved and we need to shake everytime before applying?

Also from my understanding we all seem to be using a 1% solution (60ml of water with 60 tablets of cetirizine). Has anyone been brave enough to try a 2% solution as of yet?

I have to say i think cet is deffo doing something upstairs but i think we just need to find the optimum dose/way of applying it.

Reaction score
Do you think there is a relationship between our bald area on our head and our sleep position?
Maybe it sounds absurd, but you know when we are sleeping we touch our head on the back and two flanks with the pillow all the night, but never the frontal and vertex. In contrast our bald area prone to be the frontal area and vertex, do you think this is just a coincidence? Maybe it is not.
Does anyone ever think about it, or any research on it?
Any answer and communication is appreciated.

cuprous

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions. Been on cet with water 2 months today. I started with a pretty bad shed but since then i have noticed some vellus hairs all around the hairline and im am loosing virtually no hairs at all.

Progress seems to have slowed down a little bit or it maybe that i am being a bit to keen. But i was wondering whether we are 100% sure that the white sticky stuff left over at the bottom when mixing the cet is only tablet coating. I say this because when i start getting to the bottom of my batch and my cet gets stickier my hair seems to feel a lot better in condition. Could it be that this is cetirizine that has not disolved and we need to shake everytime before applying?

Also from my understanding we all seem to be using a 1% solution (60ml of water with 60 tablets of cetirizine). Has anyone been brave enough to try a 2% solution as of yet?

I have to say i think cet is deffo doing something upstairs but i think we just need to find the optimum dose/way of applying it.

Yes, I think it a good idea to shake the solution before every use. I have found three different stats as to cets water solubility - they vary tremendously. Better to just give the stuff a shake.

I don't think anyone has tried 2% yet. I find the 1 pill to 1mil water is barely enough h2O to dissolve the stuff.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Yes, I think it a good idea to shake the solution before every use. I have found three different stats as to cets water solubility - they vary tremendously. Better to just give the stuff a shake.

I don't think anyone has tried 2% yet. I find the 1 pill to 1mil water is barely enough h2O to dissolve the stuff.

I would tend to agree with you...lots of crappy settles at the bottom as well...

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I shake as well before use. The powder is bitter in taste so I would think some of the cet doesn't get dissolved.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No sorry. The vellus hairs are still there but they don't seem to have gotten longer or changed in color.

I've got other issues I am dealing with as well :(

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...dness-and-spot-loss-possible-at-the-same-time

I will continue to use Cet on my temples for now, not ready to jump on it over my entire scalp especially why I have those 4 spot losses.

fastinjun

Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive been trying this mix for about 2 months now. At the 3-4 week stage I noticed a dramatic decrease in hair fallout. I just checked tonight with some better lighting and could see tiny hairs sprouting up in an area that hasnt seen hair in years. These hairs are dark and standing straight up. Im pretty happy with this so far and like I said, there were no hairs in this area for a very long time. I switched to the Cet and water mix at the 4 week mark.
So far so good. I hope it keeps getting better...