Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The white powder that is left is bitter in taste, what cet should be.

I have nfi why I am having no luck filtering it out. I've wasted almost an entire bottle experimenting.

Just put it in a two oz shot glass and let it settle to the bottom, and then just draw off the top..don't over analyze this

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
What about mixing that white powder directly with the content of a minoxidil bottle? Why not doing this since most people trying Cet are also using minoxidil?

tedlin01

Established Member
Reaction score
What about mixing that white powder directly with the content of a minoxidil bottle? Why not doing this since most people trying Cet are also using minoxidil?

I have been asking that as well and apparently those who have tried pg/ethanol solutions have reported less success compared to those who have been mixing in water.

jimjams

Reaction score
I have been doing this for a week now and my god am I tired! This stuff is not doing you any good in my opinion, my eyes have been blood shot, people commented at work, and in addition I feel pretty groggy! There is no doubt though my hair quality has improved and so much less is falling out... just not sure I can endure the sides! I wonder if your body gets used to them?? Also, noticed a lump at the back of my right ear, hairline round the back of my head is also swollen... could be totally unrelated, off to the doctors to get checked out next week. Shall keep it going for another week to see what happens.

nograde

Reaction score
Ooops, saw this too late. Please read my posting in the thread "Degradation of Cetirizine in alcohol vehicles" ... Maybe this is the reason?

I have been asking that as well and apparently those who have tried pg/ethanol solutions have reported less success compared to those who have been mixing in water.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, is the paper really at the exact same place ?

yes, the yellow paper is in the same place - photos were taken within about 30 seconds of each other.

@tedlin01 - your process looks exactly like mine (same end product and stuff caught in filter)

@casperz - thanks, it will be interesting if CET can get vellus hairs to go terminal there

@Jimjams - humans usually build tolerance (and sometimes dependance i think) to anti-histamines. that is - the effect of CET is normally much greater on your first does when compared to your 30th dose, if u use it on consecutive days.
it take me 2 weeks to build tolerance to anti-histamines if i take them orally for sleep - i always dread that first day i not use an anti-histamine (after using them) because i won't be able to sleep, but i return to normal after that.

trixkit

Reaction score
Antman - couple of questions.

Do you have any pics from before you started the CET treatment? The pics you posted are only 30 seconds apart, so not before an after pictures. Guess I'm not sure what I'm looking at without seeing the before pics.

How long have you been using CET and what else are you taking?

Thanks

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
@ Jimmy360 - i don't have any cosmetic improvement from CET, so far it has just increased the length of my vellus hairs greatly which i highlighted with black stuff.

Started - Cetirizine: 11 Nov 2012

other treatments -
Topical minoxidil: 01 Feb 2012
oral Finasteride: 01 Jan 2012 to 01 Aug 2012
oral Dutasteride: 01 Aug 2012
various oils: 01 Jan 2012 around 3 times a week - Emu/coconut/olive eta

I don’t very good photos to compare. I’m not sure if these will be helpful comparisons.

http://i.imgur.com/8Vaup.jpg - (31 Oct 2012) this captures the small vellus hairs that I have in the temple region (different angle)

http://i.imgur.com/ojMyi.jpg - (10 Nov 2012) same angle but different lighting.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
I've hit the 5 week mark today. My shedding has now ceased, thank god. I'm not noticing any new vellus hairs on my temples which have been bald for some time now. There are some existing vellus hairs on my right temple that are about 1 cm below hairline that are definitely more prominent now then they were before. It doesn't make any cosmetic difference to speak of but, there's been some change there. My existing hair doesn't seem as bad as it was, but, that's always a tough judgement call to make when you see it everyday. I'm going to keep on with it and see what happens.

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on for about 4 weeks and my god has it destroyed my hairline. Areas that HAD hair are now slick bald and my hair is for the first time in my life, see through from the front and sides. Absolutely devastating and disheartening to say the least. Sure some tiny 2mm hairs on my forehead are pigmented, but it seems I've burnt the forest to grow few shrubs.

Reaction score
I have been on for about 4 weeks and my god has it destroyed my hairline. Areas that HAD hair are now slick bald and my hair is for the first time in my life, see through from the front and sides. Absolutely devastating and disheartening to say the least. Sure some tiny 2mm hairs on my forehead are pigmented, but it seems I've burnt the forest to grow few shrubs.

Calm down, those shed hairs will be replaced by stronger ones.

Sparky4444

Reaction score

That doesn't matter...those hairs were going to be gone within the next 2 or 3 months anyways....absolutely...you either buck up and go for it, or wait for the inevitable...

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would love someone to post a before and after shed photo to see how bad it becomes.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would love someone to post a before and after shed photo to see how bad it becomes.

I'd post some but my hair was bad before. I could tell I was shedding from the sink but looking at me you really could not tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Shedding like this are always hairs that were close to falling out anyway, hopefully they are coming back thicker and stronger with
Cet. It sucks but the shedding does stop cold at some point, at least it did for me.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone experience bad scalp itch before using cet?? Has your scalp itch gotten better?

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
cazpers.. i wanted to ask about your shedding? how was the shedding when u started this? was the shedding severe or was it moderate? and how is the shedding now? is it minimal to nothing or is it moderate? im asking because i took a little break from the cet treatment...
and antman i really dont understand you ... you have small hairs growing those tiny blond hairs are the start, are you blind or something? that is a improvement...thats how it started with me and it becomes darker and darker. haven't you seen kids? they're hairs grow like that.

the topic i use is with proplene glycol and i havent been expiriencing the side effects u guys talk about.

Reaction score
Headaches?

I'm getting headaches, two weeks into topical CET (water only). I'm not certain it's the CET, so just curious if anyone else experienced the same.

form

Reaction score
Did anyone experience bad scalp itch before using cet?? Has your scalp itch gotten better?

The itch I experienced before starting cet was from the PG in liquid minoxidil. Cet may have made it slightly less itchy, but not by much. Cet has NOT made it any itchier.

I'm getting headaches, two weeks into topical CET (water only). I'm not certain it's the CET, so just curious if anyone else experienced the same.

No. I have not experienced any brain fog, tiredness, or headaches from cet... just more hairloss.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'm starting the use of a cet/water mixture today. I'd like to note a couple observations I've made.

On Friday, I mixed two test tubes of 10ml distilled water / 10 tablets cet and let them sit until today (Sunday). The mixture above the "filler" substance is much clearer than mixtures of ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. However, it also appears that less "filler" has settled to the bottom of the tube. Hmm, that's strange. Not sure if it's a good or bad indication. I'll post a picture next time I make a batch and you can compare it to the previous ones I've posted of the other mixtures.

After drawing the clear liquid from the top of each tube, I placed it into an old minoxidil bottle and shook it up. I drew ~1.5 ml and spread it around the top of my head. After drying, it seems this mixture is much more "stickier". My hair seems to clump together and has a much rougher feeling than what the other mixtures caused. I don't really care about this, but I just wanted to let you guys know that there are differences between these mixtures that are absolutely noticeable (i.e. I believe all of these differences could actually be measured and I have no doubt about my claims).

Thanks to nograde for bringing that paper about detrimental effect of alcohols on cet to our attention. That was the final straw for me to switch to water. I'm wondering if that is the cause for all the differences I've noticed between the mixtures ... not sure.

If anyone has any feedback, by all means let me know. Like I said, I'll post a similar picture of the next batch I make.