Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally... someone on this forum that does the exactly same thing i do, The shedding you have now after many weeks, is it less than time period you didnt use finasterid? i expirienced the same when i used it orally.. lost of shedding and i tried that for some weeks. it really fukked up my sleep. After using the topical my shedding has grown lesser and lesser, and i have lots new hairs growing near my temples. Which i havent seen for some years. So your only using water and cetirizine? thats it? how much ml do you apply to your scalp daily?

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I'm 5 weeks in and I'm fairly optimistic cetirizin is doing something. I've completely stopped shedding as a start and all the vellus hairs in the frontal hairline are looking much thicker and longer. There are at least 5 or 6 vellus hairs that have turned dark in areas that have been bald for years.

It's impossible to get any kind of picture of these vellus hairs at this point but they are definitely changing. I'll report more as things develop.

Few hairs dosent mean ****

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finally... someone on this forum that does the exactly same thing i do, The shedding you have now after many weeks, is it less than time period you didnt use finasterid? i expirienced the same when i used it orally.. lost of shedding and i tried that for some weeks. it really fukked up my sleep. After using the topical my shedding has grown lesser and lesser, and i have lots new hairs growing near my temples. Which i havent seen for some years. So your only using water and cetirizine? thats it? how much ml do you apply to your scalp daily?

My hair was pretty stable before starting Cet, no significant shedding since getting off finasteride in Feb, I shed for at least a couple of months then. Water and cetirizine only for the mix but I have some PG that I'm going to use next batch. I apply 1ml pm and 1ml am and I've been on minoxidil continually since 2007ish but everything else was stopped around Feb of this year. I really don't think minoxidil is doing much anymore because it's being used by itself. I got the best results when I was using several different things at once but it was just too much to do daily. I'm hoping Cet can replace KSR and I can get back to where I was in 2009.

- - - Updated - - -

Few hairs dosent mean ****

I disagree. Any new terminal hairs in 5 weeks in totally bald areas is HUGE. The 5 or 6 I mentioned are the ones I can see looking in the mirror before I took the pictures. Now I can see I have many many of these new hairs. If they survive and continue to grow this could be a cure.

- - - Updated - - -

are the 5 terminal hairs new?

Yes, take a look at the pics I posted yesterday. The small hairs are all new since I started Cet.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was able to come up with a good shot of my frontal hairline. These baby hairs are a mix of dark and vellus hairs
that cannot be seen in pictures from above due to the lighting. None of these hairs were there before
cetirizine. Since many of the vellus hairs are already darkening and turning terminal I'm hopeful that more and
more will the longer I'm using Cet.

Attachments

• example14-20121015.jpg
    example14-20121015.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 656
  • example15-20121015.jpg
    example15-20121015.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 633
  • example16-20121015.jpg
    example16-20121015.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 580
  • example17-20121015.jpg
    example17-20121015.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 604

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I was able to come up with a good shot of my frontal hairline. These baby hairs are a mix of dark and vellus hairs
that cannot be seen in pictures from above due to the lighting. None of these hairs were there before
cetirizine. Since many of the vellus hairs are already darkening and turning terminal I'm hopeful that more and
more will the longer I'm using Cet.

This is a MAJOR precedent being set here...awesome job casperz...Others as well are chiming in on results using Cet...Get ready, get CET,, go! ha, sorry had to do it

What is your application style?? I crushed CET tablets into my tricomin and it is bleach white...I just spray on until good and wet scalp..I am also derma-rollering to get it in there better...those dermarollers DO help getting better absorption, for sure

baldnesssadness

Established Member
Reaction score
great job cazpers... my growin hairs from cet topic is getting more and more visible, i havent expirienced any side effects.. how about u?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is a MAJOR precedent being set here...awesome job casperz...Others as well are chiming in on results using Cet...Get ready, get CET,, go! ha, sorry had to do it

What is your application style?? I crushed CET tablets into my tricomin and it is bleach white...I just spray on until good and wet scalp..I am also derma-rollering to get it in there better...those dermarollers DO help getting better absorption, for sure

Thanks, I wish I could take credit but obviously I'm just going by what others have tried. It's still real early in the process and we don't know if all or even more of the vellus hairs will darken but at 5 weeks this is amazing regrowth in areas that have been bald for 15 years or more. I'm trying to keep a wait and see attitude and not get too excited but things are looking really good.

Same here, I crush the Cet and add to 60ml of water in an old minoxidil bottle. I just draw off the top and leave all the sediment at the bottom. I've got some Propylene Gylcol that I'm going to use next batch and I may try to deal with the sediment.

- - - Updated - - -

great job cazpers... my growin hairs from cet topic is getting more and more visible, i havent expirienced any side effects.. how about u?

I've been sleeping like crap, not sure if it's related. The shedding at the start I guess was a side effect. I also had some eye dryness the first couple of weeks. Nothing major as far as sides. It's amazing that something this cheap could be a cure.

- - - Updated - - -

If the results casperz is having with cetirizine continue and are sustainable, that is very positive for what could be achievable with topical applications of the more heavy-duty 'PGD2 blockers', namely CTHR2 antagonists.

That's the really exciting part, plus having the proper dosing, etc. It could be that the right mix of Cet could grow twice as much hair or
using a better carrier could have a huge impact. I'm thinking this could be really really good for us in a short period of time. If more people
can try out different regimes/dosages we could have an answer in short order.

- - - Updated - - -

are the 5 terminal hairs new?

Yes, they are all new, you can see where the vellus hairs are darkening. They start out fine and light and get thick and dark at the base.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nightmares is a common side effect according to wiki might explain your crap sleep.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Nightmares is a common side effect according to wiki might explain your crap sleep.

I'm not having nightmares, but wacky dreams...I've only been applying once at night for the past 4 days though....I have been waking up early and my eyes are a bit dried out...but screw it, I am sticking with this...and the Prostizone for DHT blocking

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on day 4 and have had some weird dreams too. The cet seems to have taken care of my oily face... face is nice and matte all day now instead of shiny/oily. Oh and no more shedding.... a little weirded out by this dream thing though.... why is it doing that?

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im tempted to try this on my temples with emu oil as a vehicle.

I would have to order the cet from overseas as it's too expensive here.

Can you dump the caps straight into distilled water or you need to crush them up first?

Sparky4444

Reaction score

Really?? It's just common anti-histamine...it can't be more than here in Canada...60 tablets for about $30 or so, generic brand

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on day 4 and have had some weird dreams too. The cet seems to have taken care of my oily face... face is nice and matte all day now instead of shiny/oily. Oh and no more shedding.... a little weirded out by this dream thing though.... why is it doing that?

Stop shedding this soon, after 4 days??...for me, my scalp has become more sensitive

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A$15 for 30 vs A$30 + shipping for 365 ... I think i rather buy overseas.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
Casperz - thanks for posting all the information. Do you have any idea what mechanism cetirizine is working through? Is it inhibiting the enzyme PTGDS that converts PGH2 to PGD2? or is it competing at the receptor CRTH2?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Casperz - thanks for posting all the information. Do you have any idea what mechanism cetirizine is working through? Is it inhibiting the enzyme PTGDS that converts PGH2 to PGD2? or is it competing at the receptor CRTH2?

Glad to do it, I just hope it works in the long run and we can all forget about baldness.

I'm not the best person to ask how it works, I just follow this board and others and I have zero medical expertize. I believe
that the thinking of those in the know is that it reduces PGD2 and the minix boosts PGE2. The ratio of PGD2 to PGE2 seems
to be important in hair growth. Cetirizine is also assumed to be a weak suppressor of PGD2 so some of the better drugs might even
be able to bring more regrowth. All I know is that I've not seen this type of regrowth in bald areas before and I've tried a lot
of things and I've had some remarkable success in the past. I went from a slick bald crown to pretty decent coverage as you can
see here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics/page7 but it was way too much
work. I know I can grow hair but I want an easy method and I hope cetirizine is it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you dump the caps straight into distilled water or you need to crush them up first?

I would expect they would dissolve in water but I did crush them up. A lot of the guys on the German forum
were talking about how they extracted all the sediment from the liquid, I just left it all in there and draw off the
top of the container. Seems to work ok.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you still using minoxidil and\or finasteride?

How much do you make at a time and how long does it last for? Are you only applying it to bald area's or over the entire scalp?

form

Reaction score
casperz, glad you brought this experiment to this forum's attention.

I ordered my own supplies and am going to give it a shot. I'm going to see if the tablets work better in a couple different vehicles. I was also thinking of only applying this to part of my scalp to aid in the determination of whether it's actually working. I will let you guys know how it goes.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you still using minoxidil and\or finasteride?

How much do you make at a time and how long does it last for? Are you only applying it to bald area's or over the entire scalp?

Yes, I've been on minoxidil since 2007 and I stopped finasteride in Feb of this year.

I mix 600mg of cetirizine in 60ml of water in an old minoxidil bottle. I use the same dosage as minoxidil(dropper full to the line) which I think is 1ml and I do that morning and night. So a bottle lasts 30 days or a little less.

I ordered my own supplies and am going to give it a shot. I'm going to see if the tablets work better in a couple different vehicles. I was also thinking of only applying this to part of my scalp to aid in the determination of whether it's actually working. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Great! The more people that do this the better so we can see what works.

Here is a pic I took that shows the vellus hairs turning dark. If you look closely you can see where the end of the hair is very
light and thin and then it gets dark and thicker. Amazing stuff.

Attachments

• example18-20121015.jpg
    example18-20121015.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 564

what

Established Member
Reaction score
Glad to do it, I just hope it works in the long run and we can all forget about baldness.

I'm not the best person to ask how it works, I just follow this board and others and I have zero medical expertize. I believe
that the thinking of those in the know is that it reduces PGD2 and the minix boosts PGE2. The ratio of PGD2 to PGE2 seems
to be important in hair growth. Cetirizine is also assumed to be a weak suppressor of PGD2 so some of the better drugs might even
be able to bring more regrowth. All I know is that I've not seen this type of regrowth in bald areas before and I've tried a lot
of things and I've had some remarkable success in the past. I went from a slick bald crown to pretty decent coverage as you can
see here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/35120-Success-on-KSR-with-pics/page7 but it was way too much
work. I know I can grow hair but I want an easy method and I hope cetirizine is it.

Ok, thanks anyway. I'm gonna give this a shot. I ordered propylene glycol and cetirizine, should have them in a couple days. My buddy is trying it as well. Gonna try to get some good baseline photos.

Probably go with 600mg/60mL concentration.

I would really like to develop a cream or lotion as i think there is less waste and better penetration than a liquid can provide. Do you know of anybody taking that approach?