Topical cetrizine 1% in Treatment of Male Androgentic alopecia

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Therapeutic Implications of topical cetrizine 1% in Treatment of Male Androgentic alopecia: A case-controlled study

Abstract​

Background: Androgentic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common form of alopecia in men. Cetrizine, a second generation H1 blocker is known for its anti-inflammatory properties as well as its ability to decrease prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) production. Aim To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of topical cetirizine in male patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.
Methods: Two groups of 30 patients each (healthy males aged between 22 and 55 years) with different grades of Androgenetic Alopecia classified according to Hamilton Norwood classification were recruited for this study. Group A subjects applied 1 ml of 1% topical cetirizine daily while group B subjects served as controls and were instructed to apply 1 ml of a placebo solution for 6 months.
Results: Dermoscopic assessment revealed significantly higher hair regrowth among the cetirizine-treated group (P<0.001). The patients' satisfaction was significantly higher among the cetirizine-treated group (p < 0.001).
Conclusion: The current study highlights a potential role cetirizine might have in treating Androgenetic Alopecia. It should be noted that studies are lacking in this regard and more randomized and controlled trials are warranted in order to confirm or refute such early findings.
Keywords: Androgenetic alopecia; Cetrizine; Prostaglandin.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anyone with access to the PDF? I think trichometry measurements should be a required part of the report/abstract. "significant growth" does not mean much on its own. minoxidil increases hair density between 18-30 hairs/cm2, and we need something to compare with.

Last edited:

inmyhead

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to make topical cetrizine now.. Few studies claiming results

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of the 30 people in the group treated with Cetirizine:
56.7% (17) reported no improvement.
33.3% (10) reported mild improvement.
6.7% (2) reported good improvement.

Seems effective enough on it's own, especially when considering affordability and side effect risk. Hopeful that when stacked with a PGE2 agonist it will provide substantial results.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks @TheBlackSuit !

If I am reading this right this paper is terrible.:

Dermoscopic evaluation was carried out by a blinded dermatologist at baseline and by the end of the 6 months. The number of re growing hairs per cm2 was reported.

And those numbers range from 0 to 3/cm2 !! There is no way this can make any cosmetic difference. A non-balding scalp has 124 to 200hairs/cm2.

minoxidil 5% grows in mid 20hairs/cm2.

Tell me if I wrong. If I am not, I would rather drop ceterezine.

Notice that the pre-photo is taken closer up than post, and the pre-tricho photo is further out than post, compared to after...Perfect.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
whats the final consensus on cetirizine lowering pge2 being a cox2 inhibitor? some studies says it might increase pge2 but i don't know what's the final take

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @TheBlackSuit !

If I am reading this right this paper is terrible.:

Dermoscopic evaluation was carried out by a blinded dermatologist at baseline and by the end of the 6 months. The number of re growing hairs per cm2 was reported.

And those numbers range from 0 to 3/cm2 !! There is no way this can make any cosmetic difference. A non-balding scalp has 124 to 200hairs/cm2.

minoxidil 5% grows in mid 20hairs/cm2.

Tell me if I wrong. If I am not, I would rather drop ceterezine.

Notice that the pre-photo is taken closer up than post, and the pre-tricho photo is further out than post, compared to after...Perfect.

Well, I wouldn't expect any kind of huge regrowth from PGD2 inhibition. Even if cetirizine can increase PGE2, it is only marginally so...
Remember, this is just one downstream effect of AR overactivation, you shouldn't expect results in tier with androgen receptor antagonists / estrogen combo... Or even minoxidil since it hits more important pathways for growth stimulation (temporary).

But PGD2 inhibition may provide long term maintenance if done properly, I would consider that a valuable potential option.
Where to get cetirizine and what is an appropriate vehicle?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
whats the final consensus on cetirizine lowering pge2 being a cox2 inhibitor? some studies says it might increase pge2 but i don't know what's the final take
You want to inhibits cox2

You don't want to inhibits cox1

Normal skin only expressed cox1.
Remember, Cox-2 is almost not expressed in normal skin, but it's overexpressed in bald and balding scalp.

We don't need it. Don't be afraid of cox2 inibitors, but be afraid of cox1 inibitors

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A guy from Reddit stop the scalp Itchy and shedding with cetirizine topical

I am going to do topical ceti + topical etoricoxib (selective Cox-2 inibitors)

Very promising combo i think

I am also using 5% caffeine cream on my patchy beard to see if it's really a growth stimulant and if it's able to grow hair. If i notice results on my beard, i will add it to my hair protocol

Last edited:

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to do topical ceti + topical etoricoxib (selective Cox-2 inibitors)

Very promising combo i think

I am also using 5% caffeine cream on my patchy beard to see if it's really a growth stimulant and if it's able to grow hair. If i notice results on my beard, i will add it to my hair protocol
I know it's not been long but anything positive? Reduced hair shedding?

What is a good concentration for topical application?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How does Loratadine work (vs cetrizine) when it comes to cox-2 inhibition?

I take loratadine daily as I have lots of allergies. But does it work the same way as cetrizine?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know it's not been long but anything positive? Reduced hair shedding?

What is a good concentration for topical application?

I just started the protocol few days ago. Too soon to tell.
How does Loratadine work (vs cetrizine) when it comes to cox-2 inhibition?

I take loratadine daily as I have lots of allergies. But does it work the same way as cetrizine?

Loradatine decreases cox 2 too, but you will not have results with oral, tou need to use it topically

But in my opinion anti histamine are too weak on cox 2 inhibition, you need something stronger

Reactions: mj9

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started the protocol few days ago. Too soon to tell.

Loradatine decreases cox 2 too, but you will not have results with oral, tou need to use it topically

But in my opinion anti histamine are too weak on cox 2 inhibition, you need something stronger
I think Loratadine inhibits cox-1 as well so maybe not a good idea.

I've just started cetrizine 1% topical today. Apparently, it's stable in water for up to 10 days. It's also super cheap so it's a no brained to just try it.

likelycorrect

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Loratadine inhibits cox-1 as well so maybe not a good idea.

I've just started cetrizine 1% topical today. Apparently, it's stable in water for up to 10 days. It's also super cheap so it's a no brained to just try it.
Hey it's been a while by now - any updates for us?

Reactions: mj9

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey it's been a while by now - any updates for us?
My hair are looking great - almost undetectable hairloss when my hair are dry. I think cetrizine has helped but I think it is the overall combination that makes the difference.