Today I Quit Rogaine. I Will Write About The Full Journey.

br1

Reaction score
I am following your story as I also jumped on Min (recovered my temples), but it was at the same time I got back to finasteride after my finasteride break. So I don't really know what regrowth is actually associated with Min. And, I also plan on quitting it.

I was using it twice a day, and I`m 2 weeks in once a day. It seems to have thinned a bit, but may very well be my impression only.

Anyways, you say that your hair has thinned overall, but you were using minoxidil on the temple are only! Besides, you are not o finasteride, so how can you tell that you thinning is not just f****r Androgenetic Alopecia progressing?

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It has been a long time since u posted. I am 5 months into fully quitting. My hair is not great. My temples and hair line have thinned. I have a big bald patch on my right temple with some fine hair over it. I can cover it with styling and Topic. It is very devistating. I don't know if I should wait it out for another 4 months to see if it improves, or go back on rogaine or try finasteride. Aldrich... how did you go?

Hang in there. Wait for the 9 month mark. From what I can find, the few people who have quit and waited and documented it, all seem to say the same thing: they don't see improvement until after AT LEAST 6-9 months depending on their individual hair. October is the end of the 5th month since the dread shed for me. My two goals are end of February, and then June for a full year.

My hair is recovering well, but I'm taking all sorts of 'natural' supplements as I'm waiting: saw palmetto, apple polyphenols, pumpkin seeds, and biotin. I don't know how much they're contributing to my recovery.

Whatever you do, don't go back on minoxidil. Wait another 4 complete months. At least then you'll know for sure and you'll have an argument to either go back on Min or not.

Dan87

Reaction score
Br1- suposidly it effects your whole hair. Not just where you use it. Also it could be male pattern baldness progressing but if so, it is been very rapid.

Aldrich- Are you also on finasteride? I feel like mine has just gotten worse. I am in panic mode. Did you hit this point? If so when?

9 months would be Feb too then I think May for the full year. It seems like we are about the same time. I have to use quite a bit of Toppix for it to look good.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It has been a long time since u posted. I am 5 months into fully quitting. My hair is not great. My temples and hair line have thinned. I have a big bald patch on my right temple with some fine hair over it. I can cover it with styling and Topic. It is very devistating. I don't know if I should wait it out for another 4 months to see if it improves, or go back on rogaine or try finasteride. Aldrich... how did you go?
your not on finasteride???? & you quit minoxidil??
THE F*CK were you thinking?:confused:

Dan87

Reaction score
your not on finasteride???? & you quit minoxidil??
THE F*CK were you thinking?:confused:
Well firstly... rude and completely unhelpful.

I quit because I could afford to. I still have an ok amount of hair. However I have two noticeable bald patches on my temples which are 100 percent caused my Rogaine, as they did not look like that before.

Anyways. Moving on from non-constructive posts, I have had some slight positives. My hairline is sprouting short back hairs. My temples are starting to do the same. Those ones are a lighter brown and thinner. Not sure if that's a good sign or not. But it's at least a bit of hope.

Also I've started to take saw parametto.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus christ, minoxidil wont make you bald. Its not work like this...

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dan87, it will be a good choice to consider getting on Finasteride. Saw Palmetto on the other hand has only somewhat of a mild anti DHT effect on the prostate, and that's about it. The evidence of showing that it helps with hair loss is extremely anecdotal.

I know the purpose of this thread is about sharing your experience after quitting Minoxidil. The thing is from what you described, the drug clearly helped treat your Androgenetic Alopecia hair. It's your choice to do what you want but I do recommend to get back on it. You can use it once a day or even every other day and still receive a lot of benefit, you don't have to stick with the strict twice daily application the manufacturers tell you to do.

Just goes to show the power that rogaine has on maintaining hair...

Absolutely, Minoxidil has that power. :cool:

Dan87

Reaction score
Jesus christ, minoxidil wont make you bald. Its not work like this...

It will when you quit. You fall below base level. Which is what I am talking about. Also it's been proven that some people shed without getting any gains. It only fully works on 25% of the population. So if you have had a good experience then great. But not everyone has.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you fall below base level cause your male pattern baldness is progressing. 25% of population - LOL. It will work on everyone who has low dht ratio to hair follicle androgens sensivity.

I prefer you to go for blood test.

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you fall below base level cause your male pattern baldness is progressing. 25% of population - LOL. It will work on everyone who has low dht ratio to hair follicle androgens sensivity.

No. It doesn't work for everyone. It worked on a certain % of the focus group. User testimonials outside of controlled testing don't count. Over time, minoxidil loses effectiveness, and after a certain amount of weeks, you will be close to baseline anyway. There is a graph of this, but I can't link it now. Some people just respond badly to the treatment, just like any other treatment. Do you think cancer treatments work a 100% of the time for all people? It doesn't.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Search minoxidil graph on google images and you will find it straight away.

Minoxidil doesn't lose it's effectiveness. If it works for you it will always give you that boost. But if it gives you +20% density and you were to lose 20% in the next year due to balding then after this year you will be at baseline despite minoxidil still working. I'm not sure why this is so hard for everyone to understand. It gives you whatever you would have had without minoxidil + a certain percentage depending on how well you respond.

Starting and quitting minoxidil causes a shed as your hair thickness and growth phases are affected by minoxidil. So if you quit you can expect not only to dip below where you were when you started but also where you would have been if you had never used minoxidil. Current evidences shows this is temporary and you will go back to where you would have been without minoxidil. But if you have aggressive hair loss this mightn't neccesarily be true.

Dan87

Reaction score
Hang in there. Wait for the 9 month mark. From what I can find, the few people who have quit and waited and documented it, all seem to say the same thing: they don't see improvement until after AT LEAST 6-9 months depending on their individual hair. October is the end of the 5th month since the dread shed for me. My two goals are end of February, and then June for a full year.

My hair is recovering well, but I'm taking all sorts of 'natural' supplements as I'm waiting: saw palmetto, apple polyphenols, pumpkin seeds, and biotin. I don't know how much they're contributing to my recovery.

Whatever you do, don't go back on minoxidil. Wait another 4 complete months. At least then you'll know for sure and you'll have an argument to either go back on Min or not.

Hey. How is it all going? Did you end up with a bald patch where there wants really one before my right temple is so thin. I think I see little fine hairs growing in the area now. But I worry that they are just peach fuzz. I am not sure.

Does finasteride grow back hair at all?

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey. How is it all going? Did you end up with a bald patch where there wants really one before my right temple is so thin. I think I see little fine hairs growing in the area now. But I worry that they are just peach fuzz. I am not sure.

Does finasteride grow back hair at all?

No big change at the moment. End of February is 9 months after dread shed. I'm determined to wait until then.

I don't know anything about finasteride.

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I'm quitting 5% Miloxodil. I have read so much negative stuff about quitting. However Miloxodil makes me breakout in rashes and hives all over my body. I can not handle it anymore and the results I have gained are not THAT great.

I find every time I read about someone quitting they either:

A) get back on Miloxodil
OR
B) never update to say what happened post their initial shed.

I am obviously terrified about what will happen, but I figure I can always get a buzz cut for the initial shed stage.

A bit of background. I am a 29 year old male. I started using 5% Regaine in August 2015 as I noticed my right temple thinning slightly. Up until December 2015 I used it once a day a little bit on both my temple region.

My first shed was awful. A huge bald patch at the front. That seemed to have gotten slightly better but is still very thin. Overall I think my hair is thinner from using it. I also started to notice hives and rashes.

In January 2016 I started to use it twice a day.
Hives and rashes got much worse. Intact I have a flare up as a write this.

I have read a few thing here and there saying people had a good reaction when quitting. As I have had an allergic reaction this is what I am hoping for. Fingers crossed I suppose.

People have not really posted much on threads I have created, and I have not felt overly supported on here, but I hope this thread will help other and make them feel supported.

I used 2-3 years minoxidil Foam and Liquid and quitted, nothing happened (no shedding), therefore quitting minoxidil doesnt automatically mean shedding.

Dan87

Reaction score
I know no one probably cares. But I am going to post this part as I feel like it is a part of the journey. I am severerely depressed due to the hair loss I have experienced after quitting. I feel like Miloxodil ruined my hair. My middle part is balding. My right temple hair is gone. It all looks like it's just melted away. My hair loss was minimal at best before starting Miloxodil. The derm actually said it was very minimal and said if I was REALLY concerned I could try miloxodil. Worst decision I have ever made. I now look like I am at leads in my 50s. I'm not even 30 yet. I'm in a pretty bad way.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know no one probably cares. But I am going to post this part as I feel like it is a part of the journey. I am severerely depressed due to the hair loss I have experienced after quitting. I feel like Miloxodil ruined my hair. My middle part is balding. My right temple hair is gone. It all looks like it's just melted away. My hair loss was minimal at best before starting Miloxodil. The derm actually said it was very minimal and said if I was REALLY concerned I could try miloxodil. Worst decision I have ever made. I now look like I am at leads in my 50s. I'm not even 30 yet. I'm in a pretty bad way.

How long did you use it for? When did it ruin your hair, while you were on it or when you stopped?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

i just started minoxidil about 7 weeks ago--so far really good results for early use.

Can you explain or give me a link to the DHT to hair follicle ratio?..I'm just curious.

Dan87

Reaction score
How long did you use it for? When did it ruin your hair, while you were on it or when you stopped?

I stopped using on one side for a month or so. Then I went down to one day just on once side for a few weeks. Then quit. So I have completely quit for 6 months.

The hair loss was bad when I was on it. I was on for 8 months, no major regrowth, lots of shedding. It's the worst it has been.

I won't go back on because my hair can not handles anymore shedding. I am booking in to see a tricologist about the hailoss and a doctor about the depression.

My head is currently itching as are my legs hands and feet, which is weirdly what happens to me when I'm shedding. So I am gearing up to lose even more :(