Today I Quit Rogaine. I Will Write About The Full Journey.

Dan87

Reaction score
Today I'm quitting 5% Miloxodil. I have read so much negative stuff about quitting. However Miloxodil makes me breakout in rashes and hives all over my body. I can not handle it anymore and the results I have gained are not THAT great.

I find every time I read about someone quitting they either:

A) get back on Miloxodil
OR
B) never update to say what happened post their initial shed.

I am obviously terrified about what will happen, but I figure I can always get a buzz cut for the initial shed stage.

A bit of background. I am a 29 year old male. I started using 5% Regaine in August 2015 as I noticed my right temple thinning slightly. Up until December 2015 I used it once a day a little bit on both my temple region.

My first shed was awful. A huge bald patch at the front. That seemed to have gotten slightly better but is still very thin. Overall I think my hair is thinner from using it. I also started to notice hives and rashes.

In January 2016 I started to use it twice a day.
Hives and rashes got much worse. Intact I have a flare up as a write this.

I have read a few thing here and there saying people had a good reaction when quitting. As I have had an allergic reaction this is what I am hoping for. Fingers crossed I suppose.

People have not really posted much on threads I have created, and I have not felt overly supported on here, but I hope this thread will help other and make them feel supported.

The-Johnny

Reaction score
Will follow your journey! I have been using minoxidil 2% since the beginning of 2012. I am still thinning, but not in a fast pace, and would not consider myself to be bald yet, but it's obvious that I have thin hair on top (see pictures in my two other threads). I have no idea if minoxidil have ever helped me. I had very thick hair as young, but a few years in university, one of my friends started saying that my hair was thinning a bit. I thought that he was crazy and blind, because every time I looked in the mirror, I saw a full head of hair. Few months later, I decided to shave my head completely, and it was then I noticed that my hair on the sides had a little bit higher density than the hair on top, and it was then I started to use minoxidil 2%. Been on it approx 4 years now. My hair has been thinning since then, and I have no idea if minoxidil has helped in slowing the hair loss progress or increased it...

To be noted, my mothers side of the family - EVERYONE has epic hairline, and I really mean EPIC. Even my grandfather has a complete head of hair at 65 years, with no recession in the hair line what so ever. My uncles on my mothers side are 45+ and veryyy few gray hairs, and no recession, complete thick Elvis like hair.

On my fathers side, it's 50/50... I only wish I had my mothers hair genes...

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i quit minoxidil a month ago cause it gave me seb derm and an intense itch 24/7. i was on minoxidil for about 9 months really didnt see any improvement whatsoever. since then i used a topical steroid for two weeks straight and then stopped as directed by my derm, now i have absolutely no itch on my scalp and no dandruff anymore although i am still thinning pretty rapidly. actually started noticing some shedding today might be day one of my post minoxidil shed, who knows. all i know is minoxidil really irritated my scalp so i had to stop

Dan87

Reaction score
Hey all, quick update.
So I buzzed my hair short and still have good coverage that is quite even. The temple area is a little thinner where I apply Miloxodil.

I had a freak out and decided to ween off. I took a week off and am now using 5% Rogain (and less of it) on the temples. (Literally a dab). I just want to see what happens.

Has anyone else gone from twice a day to once a day? If so what happened?

Dan87

Reaction score
Soooo...approaching 2 months. I have cut the dosage down to half the applications (once a day) and half the amount (half a pea size).

Shedding does not seem excessive. Temples still quite thin. Some gaps throughout the hair. I can cover this easily with Topix.

I'm breaking out in rashes less which makes me pretty sure Miloxodil was the culprit.

How is everyone else going?

Dan87

Reaction score
It has just occurred to me. In the 8 months that I have been using Miloxodil I have only gone through one and a half 60g bottles.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this will effect my quitting?

Dan87

Reaction score
I have completely stopped.

My hair has thinned all over and is quite thin at temples. I am worried as I know it's only meant to get worse. And it's already started to show.

I am at a point where I am ok with it and can cover it.

did you completely stop using minoxidil or are you still using it once a day?

Dan87

Reaction score
2 months 7 days in. Major thinning all over. Bald patches starting to develope all around the top of my head. Hair is very thin.

I am not noticing an increase in the shed, but must be happening when I'm asleep or something.

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thats as far as i last without minoxidil 2 months then i jumped back on been on for about 1.5 months still have not recovered from quitting :(. are you on any other treatments?

Dan87

Reaction score
thats as far as i last without minoxidil 2 months then i jumped back on been on for about 1.5 months still have not recovered from quitting :(. are you on any other treatments?
Nope. I don't want to go on finasteride considering Miloxodil was such a disaster. I'm going to try and ride this out.

Thing is I never really needed rogaine in hind site. I am hoping my hair will bounce back.

What happened to your hair? Did it get that bad?

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im only using like maybe a pea sized amount directly on temples once a day and i wish i never started... Does anyone ever have anything positive to say about minoxidil? It seems its horror story after horror story. Is this because all these said people are only using minoxidil and not finasteride and minoxidil?

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope. I don't want to go on finasteride considering Miloxodil was such a disaster. I'm going to try and ride this out.

Thing is I never really needed rogaine in hind site. I am hoping my hair will bounce back.

What happened to your hair? Did it get that bad?

yeah man my hair lost alot of density and my hairline has receded after two months of no use. right now my only option is to keep a buzz cut #1 guard and hope for recovery. im also on finasteride and ru though. so your not using anything and never plan on any other treatments ? you must not be in a severe case of male pattern baldness then if your ok with not using anything at all?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im only using like maybe a pea sized amount directly on temples once a day and i wish i never started... Does anyone ever have anything positive to say about minoxidil? It seems its horror story after horror story. Is this because all these said people are only using minoxidil and not finasteride and minoxidil?

It's not horror story after horror story. Lots of people post about positive experiences with minoxidil... and they dont sell it in every pharmacy everywhere because it sucks! I've been using it since last October with success, I have a bit more hair than when I started. I dont use finasteride, special shampoos or any other products for hair loss, just the minoxidil. (rogaine 5% liquid)

Dan87

Reaction score
I only had very minimal thinning at my temples when I got on Miloxodil. It is much worse since using it. My hair is much thinner all over and my temples are even thinner. Coming up to 3 months in a week and a bit. I'm hoping it will get better.

My head is per inanely itchy!

Sorry to hear quitting didn't work out man.

yeah man my hair lost alot of density and my hairline has receded after two months of no use. right now my only option is to keep a buzz cut #1 guard and hope for recovery. im also on finasteride and ru though. so your not using anything and never plan on any other treatments ? you must not be in a severe case of male pattern baldness then if your ok with not using anything at all?
only

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 3-4 years. I had decent results, but they weren't good enough/hardly noticeable compared to my original hair. Then there is the constant shedding with minoxidil, ups and downs with density, few weeks of nice looking hair/few more weeks of panic, etc. It's just a hassle and nobody knows exactly how it works, anyway. It's like a stranger approaching you on the street saying "hey, take this pill."

Anyway, I quit in the beginning of May this year, so I'm in the third month of post-minoxidil. I've had the 'dread shed'. It happened in the beginning of the second month. At this time, a month and a half later, the shedding has slowed down dramatically. Most of the hair that I shed are 'club hairs'. They have a tiny bulb at the end of them. This means that new hairs have pushed them out. I can already see new hairs growing where I've shedded. But, they're in the telogen/resting stage, and will be there for a while.

You need to give yourself 6-9 months before you can determine your recovery. Ride it out. Be patient. Buzz it or buy a ton of toppik/whatever. When it's been a year after you quit minoxidil, then you'll know where your own hair is at. Then you can determine whether or not to get back on minoxidil/add finasteride/add whatever/do nothing.

laungai1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for 46 months, quitted it 10 weeks ago. I do not think i have shed many hairs,maybe 20+ hairs when i wash my hair every 3 days. now i am on dutasteride. 0.5mg every 3 days,cyproterone acetate 25mg a day,premarin 1.25mg a day. But i do not know what will happen as time goes by.

Dan87

Reaction score
It has been a long time since u posted. I am 5 months into fully quitting. My hair is not great. My temples and hair line have thinned. I have a big bald patch on my right temple with some fine hair over it. I can cover it with styling and Topic. It is very devistating. I don't know if I should wait it out for another 4 months to see if it improves, or go back on rogaine or try finasteride. Aldrich... how did you go?