To all people that work out: Advice needed.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Whey protein? Or is that the same as "meat protein"?

XL

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate is the best form of protein it is absorbed faster within the system and is easier to digest.
Theres plenty on this, read up but as a supplement dont waste your time with other protein forms.

G

George Costanza said:
I would totally disagree with the use of soy protein. Can you suggest why you recommend this inferior form of protein for anything but feeding the female cats??

I've read somewhere that soy protein is the best kind of protein for the hair. I've also used it and found that it really helped me as far as weight lifting. I've also tried egg protein as well as meat protein shakes and they tasted like ***. The soy protein shakes at least taste better IMO. I'm not going to argue that they benefit the muscles anymore than any other kind, but I feel I had good luck with it.

I believe that that studies on this are clear. Whey protein usually is assessed as best while soy is considered a junk protein by most researchers. Moreover, it is filled with phytoestrogens, a no-no for males in the opinion of many serious researchers.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
The skinny on the soy........................many believe that because of the estrogen "like" properties of some of its chemical components it would be good for the hair. I personally don't think it would effect aggressive hair loss.

As for the other protiens..............mix 'em up.......a general rule of thumb.....quick absorbing Whey immediatly after your work out..............slower absorbing (ie. Caseinate) at night to battle the catabolic fast that occurs while you sleep.

Steroids...............playin' Russian Roullette with the precious "still functioning" follicles, but I must admit I have given into temptation before, and they are effective, even for beginers. I think the quick results build quick enthusiasm and confidence and can keep one in the boring weight lifting game longer, as they see visible, quick results. Not all steroid gained muscle is lost, but it is discouraging on "non gear" months to see 50% of your "hard earned :lol: " muscle disappear. But you have to remember you still got (ball park) 25-30% more muscle than you would have with out the "stuff".

G

There have been meta studies that suggest that the traditionally observed small stature and lack of muscle mass of Asians is tied to the high consumption of soy vs other protein sources and their low overall calorie consumption.

Second and third generation Asians on a US diet are larger and more muscular. Esp the men.

On balance, I see no reason to use soy protein save that it is cheap.