The Truth About Follica, Need Help Please

Jason Canning

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few people on this site say Follica is just minoxidil and dermarolling. Is there much truth to this claim please?

H

Reaction score
If any of us knew exactly what these companies methods were I don't believe wed be speculating literally 24/7 man.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few people on this site say Follica is just minoxidil and dermarolling. Is there much truth to this claim please?

Those are likely the two things most responsible for regrowth. Whether or not anything else is involved or has any impact, who knows. It will be some type of skin disruption, but not necessarily dermarolling. I think the at home device will be something like a dermapen.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Even if it isn't I wouldn't put my hopes too much on it as the 100 hairs per cm2 they are boasting is for both terminal and vellus hairs with the terminal count being 1/4 of that number i.e 25 terminal hairs per cm2 which at best will make you look like a diffuse thinner.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

No and this is why I'm super f*****g against people that spread stuff like this.

It is based on a concept that can be observed with dermarolling and minoxidil.

The patents, as I recall, indicate the device used to cause the wounds will be laser-based and also administer some kind of ion gel. There are also a mixture of compounds, one of which likely is minoxidil.

Also, I find it rather humorous that people are always like "just" dermarolling and minoxidil.

As if that hasn't been demonstrated to be the best way to get substantial regrowth without undergoing the process of becoming a woman.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follica is getting way too many hairs for it to be only wounding + minoxidil. Period.

Wounding and minoxidil have both been around, and used by a number of people in the hair loss community, for decades. Nobody else has gotten anything near Follica's results from it. Ever.

Royaume

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
latest comment on HLC 2020:

"Good news it looks like Follica might have entered phase 3 trials. A link was posted over at HairLossTalk.com. Pure Tech updated their site with phase 3 for follica. I hope this comes out by Xmas"

Do you know something about this statement? I didn't find it on their website...

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I find it rather humorous that people are always like "just" dermarolling and minoxidil.

As if that hasn't been demonstrated to be the best way to get substantial regrowth without undergoing the process of becoming a woman.
Except that is extremely worrisome for some of us. Many of us don't respond to minoxidil/dermarolling whatsoever, so if it is JUST dermarolling and minoxidil with some other random fluff, then yes it would be extremely disappointing.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if it isn't I wouldn't put my hopes too much on it as the 100 hairs per cm2 they are boasting is for both terminal and vellus hairs with the terminal count being 1/4 of that number i.e 25 terminal hairs per cm2 which at best will make you look like a diffuse thinner.

Why does it matter if they're terminal or vellus? Gail made it clear histogen could turn vellus hairs terminal, and it's likely that's the hope of what replicel's treatment helps with as well... any regrowth in my eyes is fantastic, and I'm sure right around the time this is released there will be other treatments that can accommodate you in turning vellus hairs terminal. I think we've gotten picky as to what is to be expected of a company that releases a treatment despite what our current options are.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Follica is getting way too many hairs for it to be only wounding + minoxidil. Period.

Wounding and minoxidil have both been around, and used by a number of people in the hair loss community, for decades. Nobody else has gotten anything near Follica's results from it. Ever.

I agree, but it is strange that nothing has been mentioned regarding if they've been trailing anything like fgf9 since 2012. I know they mentioned cost potentially prohibiting them from that, but like you said it's tough to imagine that it's just minoxidil and wounding.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why does it matter if they're terminal or vellus? Gail made it clear histogen could turn vellus hairs terminal, and it's likely that's the hope of what replicel's treatment helps with as well... any regrowth in my eyes is fantastic, and I'm sure right around the time this is released there will be other treatments that can accommodate you in turning vellus hairs terminal. I think we've gotten picky as to what is to be expected of a company that releases a treatment despite what our current options are.

It matters a lot. If they were all terminal then we wouldn't have to wait and have Histogen or Replicel done too. Since that's not the case, we have to plan for what you are talking about. Hopefully it works.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
It matters a lot. If they were all terminal then we wouldn't have to wait and have Histogen or Replicel done too. Since that's not the case, we have to plan for what you are talking about. Hopefully it works.

Well no joke man, but are you honestly not going to use the treatment because it creates vellus hairs along with terminal? I mean in a perfect world I'd prefer tsuji's treatment not only work, but be out. I've decided instead to be excited about the good rather than find anything to complain about.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well no joke man, but are you honestly not going to use the treatment because it creates vellus hairs along with terminal? I mean in a perfect world I'd prefer tsuji's treatment not only work, but be out. I've decided instead to be excited about the good rather than find anything to complain about.

Yeah, of course it's not something to complain about. Vellus hairs are better than no hairs, but there's a big difference between terminal and vellus. Regardless, there's no one here who won't be doing it.

H

Reaction score
Yeah, of course it's not something to complain about. Vellus hairs are better than no hairs, but there's a big difference between terminal and vellus. Regardless, there's no one here who won't be doing it.
If it's only 25 terminal hairs that's still pretty sparse density so I'd rather save my money for a more complete treatment no reason for holding onto severely diffused hair.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah I feel you bro for sure there's a difference, but I'm with you I'll for sure being doing it, and I'm not sweating the vellus, because it seems like every treatment on the horizon aims to revive vellus hairs. Obviously tsuji and others like it are aiming to inject cells to create follicles, but treatments like replicel, histogen, and even brotzu hope to revive those vellus hairs along with regrowth.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's only 25 terminal hairs that's still pretty sparse density so I'd rather save my money for a more complete treatment no reason for holding onto severely diffused hair.

Seriously? If you have 50 hairs now, add 25 to it and your hair loss is barely noticeable.

H

Reaction score
I get what what your saying I'm diffuse so it actually might work assuming I have around half of my hair still but that's really the only people those 25 hairs would work for if you want to reverse Norwoods your s%&$ out of luck. Some of the guys on here want just that so I don't think it's viable for everyone on here. @pegasus2 I meant to quote but forgot.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
so if it is JUST dermarolling and minoxidil

Except we know it isn't.

Statements like this are interesting

Because over in the RepliCel thread, where Occulus said that maintenance wouldn't be enough to justify a treatment coming to market since most guys choose to do nothing if it doesn't provide much regrowth, he was met with widespread disagreement.

In threads like this, where we are dealing with something that (considering past experiments relevance) can grow cosmetically significant amounts of hair, we have people saying they wouldn't bother with it. Lastly, no one really knows what the actual number of hairs it can grow is and are failing to consider any potential repeatedly of the treatment.

and yet we have people getting excited over Samumed's dismal results.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Except we know it isn't.

Statements like this are interesting

Because over in the RepliCel thread, where Occulus said that maintenance wouldn't be enough to justify a treatment coming to market since most guys choose to do nothing if it doesn't provide much regrowth, he was met with widespread disagreement.

In threads like this, where we are dealing with something that (considering past experiments relevance) can grow cosmetically significant amounts of hair, we have people saying they wouldn't bother with it. Lastly, no one really knows what the actual number of hairs it can grow is and are failing to consider any potential repeatedly of the treatment.

and yet we have people getting excited over Samumed's dismal results.

Yep those results were from one treatment, so we don't know if we keep cycling through the treatment what is possible... a lot of questions still left to be answered, but I stand by my original thought, and that is that any growth is great news!