The result of MSM.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed with the consensus here. I might actually give this a try.

I'm curious if most people think it actually makes your hair thicker as well as growing faster. Opinion?

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone get tingly sensations from taking MSM supps? I just started today and getting pins and needles like sensations.

omgwtfbbq

Reaction score
I just ran out of MSM - I was taking 2 dual MSM / Glucosamine pills (750mg each) every morning....

If nothing else, it helped a lot with joint / back pain. I'm gonna get more... just not sure where this time. Anyone have any good suggestions?

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 7 month of taking it, my hair still grows very fast, an inch a month.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair does grow fast with this stuff. The powder is heinous to take w/ water though.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you DON"T want to be a cheap bastard like me and try the powder - I won't ever do that again. The capsules/tablets are relatively cheap anyway.

BTW, does anyone know which is better for you - the capsules or the tablets?

bald30

Reaction score
How does msm increase hair or speeds up hair growth? This the only info that i found how msm helps you.

Effects on health
The effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane in biology and medicine are poorly understood. Several researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects (Morton et al. 1986; Childs, 1994; Murav'ev et al., 1991). Any health effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM (Williams et al, 1966; Kocsis et al, 1975). Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., of the Oregon Health and Science University, claims to have used MSM to treat over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments (Jacob & Appleton, 2003).

There is also criticism about the efficacy of MSM. MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulfur by the supplement and health food industry, a substance they claim may be deficient. However, humans obtain adequate amounts of sulfur from the amino acids methionine, cysteine, and cystine.

Clinical evidence for the usefulness of MSM is limited to animal studies and four published clinical studies in humans. These pilot studies of MSM have suggested some benefits, particularly for treatment of osteoarthritis. Further studies would be needed to test the usefulness of the chemical as a medical therapy.

[edit] Evidence from clinical trials
Osteoarthritis: After several reports that MSM helped arthritis in animal models, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study suggested that 1500 mg per day MSM (alone or in combination with glucosamine sulfate) was helpful in relieving symptoms of knee osteoarthritis (Usha and Naidu 2004). Kim et al. then conducted a double-blind clinical trial of MSM for treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Twenty-five patients took 6 g/day MSM and 25 patients took a placebo for 12 weeks. Ten patients did not complete the study, and intent-to-treat analysis was performed. Patients who took MSM had significantly reduced pain and improved physical functioning, without major adverse events (Kim et al). No evidence of a more general anti-inflammatory effect was found, as there were no significant changes in two measures of systemic inflammation: C-reactive protein level and erythrocyte sedimentation rate. The authors cautioned that this short pilot study did not address the long-term safety and usefulness of MSM, but suggested that physicians should consider its use for certain osteoarthritis patients, and that long-term studies should be conducted (Kim et al. 2006).
Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: Barrager et al. evaluated the efficacy of MSM for hayfever (Barrager et al, 2002). Twenty-five subjects consumed 2,600 mg of MSM per day for 30 days, and a significant improvement in symptoms was observed compared to those taking a placebo. However, the study was not blinded. Also, no significant changes were observed in two indicators of inflammation (C-reactive protein and immunoglobulin E levels). The authors suggest that MSM is safe for short-term use and recommend that a larger, double-blind study be performed to establish its usefulness in treating symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis.
Interstitial cystitis: In 1978, the FDA approved dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) for instillation into the bladder as a treatment for interstitial cystitis. Since DMSO is metabolized to MSM by the body, it is possible that MSM is the active ingredient in DMSO treatments (Childs 1994).
Snoring: Blum & Blum conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial of an MSM-containing throat spray for snoring (Blum & Blum, 2004).

[edit] Pharmacology and toxicity
The LD50 (dose at which 50% of test subjects are killed) of MSM is greater than 17.5 grams per kilogram of body weight. In rats, no adverse events were observed after daily doses of 2 g MSM per kg of body weight. In a 90-day follow-up study rats received daily MSM doses of 1.5 g/kg, and no changes were observed in terms of symptoms, blood chemistry, or gross pathology (Horvath et al., 2002).

Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) studies have demonstrated that oral doses of MSM are absorbed into the blood and cross the blood-brain barrier (Rose et al., 2000; Lin et al., 2001). An NMR study has also found detectable levels of MSM normally present in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid, suggesting that it derives from dietary sources, intestinal bacterial metabolism, and the body's endogenous methanethiol metabolism (Engelke et al., 2005).

The published clinical trials of MSM did not observe any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans.

livng2tell

Reaction score
I have been taking MSM for a little over a month and I have seen no results. No faster hair growth, no thicker hair, no thicker eyelashes or brows, no less joint pains or cracking bones. Maybe I'm not taking enough dosage? I don't know (see my regime). I have yet to see a difference. I also do not have that "atomic" piss that everyone talks about.

I'll keep up with it though for at least 3 months.

I think for some folks on here, it is in their mind that it is actually working and for a very few that it actually works.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah give it four months, seems like most of changes are noticeable after 2 months.

zzabc2334

Reaction score
have been on about a month. Have not noticed any faster hair growth, BUT I have definitely noticed my nails growing crazy fast. I am also looking for some good results on less joint pain from running/working out- nothing yet really.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a male pattern baldness since 2005, very slow and gradual MBP

I have been taking MSM for past 3-4 months...

3 months - 1500 MG + GLA caps (240MG)

New regime
4TH MONTH - MSM FLAKES 3g + FLAXSEED with LIGNAN CAPS 500mg

All 1x a day intake.

during the first 3 months i noticed a better quality of hair and a slight regrowth in crown compared to before . Hair has become blacker in colour and texture also is better Scalp oil / itch also reduced significantly as compared to before ( perceived dryness?). Probably the GLA is also doing something as well

I will say MSM does something as u can see the changes in your nails too. Skin also feels smoother and tighter . As all these also depend on the same mechanisms as hair, i will say MSM has some use. But how u respond to it depends on the individual body makeup.

Side effects noted:

Better able to wake up in morning and fall asleep at night

increased erection and frequent need to masturbate ( probably caused by flaxeed). I am not sure what this means as someone care to explain whether its some hormonal thing or just increased blood flow?

I do not really feel a sexual drive form within but rather from the genitals

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been taking MSM for a little over a month and I have seen no results. No faster hair growth, no thicker hair, no thicker eyelashes or brows, no less joint pains or cracking bones. Maybe I'm not taking enough dosage? I don't know (see my regime). I have yet to see a difference. I also do not have that "atomic" piss that everyone talks about.

I'll keep up with it though for at least 3 months.

I think for some folks on here, it is in their mind that it is actually working and for a very few that it actually works.

Oh yeah i noticed a change in colour in my piss as well. Less yellow, mainly colourless. Someone explain?

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I might start taking 6000 mg a day of it, so two 1500 mg capsules in the morning and two at night. Thoughts?

I came across a research stating that there is no significant increase in effect past 3 grams of MSM

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's great for joints and your basic aches and pains. I started taking it intially for hair health - but then about 2 months after starting MSM, this really bad rotator cuff pain that I'd had for years simply disappeared.

After that, I was an MSM convert / believer.

To the previous poster who asked about scalp itch - there was a recent report from someone writing in from 1 of the forums who claimed that ater starting MSM their scalp itch disappeared. I wouldn't count on it though - as I don't recall seeing too many of those claims - and there's a lot of MSM users out there.

My scalp its also significantly not found now after taking MSM.. And also u can see if the scarring caused by DHT or dandruff ect has reduced. Mine has reduced to some level.

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
MSM did help me to thicken my hair which I grew by dermarolling/minoxidil. Although, It took my two months to notice the difference.