The Relationship Between Caffeine Growth And Cox Inhibition

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
First post here so hey everyone.

So we have evidence that caffeine can stimulate hair follicle growth as we have that study that shows it's efficacy in 0.2% topical (I know it's funded by Wolff, but is it really sane to say the results are faked?). However, I was doing some extra reading about caffeine and it seems that we also know more or less for certain (?) that it is a PGD2 blocker. That would also be a good thing of course, but after further reading I found out that it seems to be the case because it's a COX inhibitor. Obviously COX inhibition is a bad thing because you cut off the pathway for PGE2 (that said, I did find one study of it increasing PGE2 in a Guinea pig uterus lol).

Considering that, do you know how we can square the regrowth that's possible from caffeine with the fact that it's a COX inhibitor?

It also seems that caffeine is an adenosine inhibitor or something along those lines which would also be bad for your hair of course.

Another technical question actually: To what extent would be expect caffeine taken orally to effect COX/adenosine in the scalp? I hear it's very unlikely. However, apparently castor oil taken orally can have an effect, so what is the reason for difference between the two?

Last edited:

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would avoid caffeine or at least limit it. It affects too many different things. like cortisol and metabolism, etc.

caffeine decreases vitamin D receptor activity at least in osteoblast cells. which may also be bad for hair as Vdr has been shown to be important in anagen initiation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17223552

it also may upregulates Camp which could lead to increased testosterone.
https://www.anabolicmen.com/caffeine-testosterone/

caffeine is one of the best ergogenic agents, basically it makes it easier to do intense exercise, and testosterone release scales with exercise intensity in males.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply.

I have read though that the amount of caffeine you'd need to take orally (e.g. drinking coffee) in order for it to be present in the scalp to any significant extent would be either incredibly difficult to do within a day or basically lethal (or both I suppose). Do you know anything of this?

Obviously it's different in the case of topicals/shampoos... I still don't understand its success in that study then, given its apparently negative effect on hair. That said, the study only showed an increase in hairs in anagen and nothing about overall hair health.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply.

I have read though that the amount of caffeine you'd need to take orally (e.g. drinking coffee) in order for it to be present in the scalp to any significant extent would be either incredibly difficult to do within a day or basically lethal (or both I suppose). Do you know anything of this?

Obviously it's different in the case of topicals/shampoos... I still don't understand its success in that study then, given its apparently negative effect on hair. That said, the study only showed an increase in hairs in anagen and nothing about overall hair health.
you'd have to drink a riddiculus amount of coffee to have the same amount as used in the study, lol.
I think forcing hair into anagen doesn't neccessarily stop the balding process. Caffeine was shown topically to inhibit testosterone induced Tgfb. which is a good thing.

minix also inhibits the affect of tgfb by the way.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
you'd have to drink a riddiculus amount of coffee to have the same amount as used in the study, lol.
I think forcing hair into anagen doesn't neccessarily stop the balding process. Caffeine was shown topically to inhibit testosterone induced Tgfb. which is a good thing.

minix also inhibits the affect of tgfb by the way.
Right, so my point was is drinking coffee or soda for example at all going to affect the things you linked, COX inhibition in the scalp, etc. Sorry it's just you said "avoid caffeine or at least limit it" so I'm not sure what you meant entirely.

What is tgfb and how does it related to hair loss?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, so my point was is drinking coffee or soda for example at all going to affect the things you linked, COX inhibition in the scalp, etc. Sorry it's just you said "avoid caffeine or at least limit it" so I'm not sure what you meant entirely.

What is tgfb and how does it related to hair loss?
yes it affects it, caffeine is a drug. It could affect your sex hormone levels, which in turn affects Pgd2/pge2 ratio in the scalp. since the temple regions in particular are extremely sensitive to the negative affects of androgens. Tgfb is a negative growth factor, it puts hair into the catagen phase. it makes sense that inhibiting it would increase the number of hairs in anagen at least temporarily until other negative factors "catch up".

Male hormones cause a multitude of negative factors/ downstream effects which are bad for hair like Pgd2, tgfb, dkk-1, fibrosis, etc.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes it affects it, caffeine is a drug. It could affect your sex hormone levels, which in turn affects Pgd2/pge2 ratio in the scalp. since the temple regions in particular are extremely sensitive to the negative affects of androgens. Tgfb is a negative growth factor, it puts hair into the catagen phase. it makes sense that inhibiting it would increase the number of hairs in anagen at least temporarily until other negative factors "catch up".

Male hormones cause a multitude of negative factors/ downstream effects which are bad for hair like Pgd2, tgfb, dkk-1, fibrosis, etc.
Ah I see, so the systemic effect on T would necessarily result in changes at the scalp also. Why do you mention the temples and their sensitivty to androgens in particular though? Although I suppose if you're on finasteride/dutasteride then increase of T levels from something like caffeine wouldn't really matter?

Was looking up tgfb and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033821/
It says that loss of tgfb2 delays anagen initiation. Shouldn't this be the reverse if inhibiting tgfb is a good thing? Just curious/confused haha

Totally makes sense with the improved number of hairs in anagen phase before negative factors catch up thing as well by the way, especially since the study only monitored for I think 6 months.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally makes sense with the improved number of hairs in anagen phase before negative factors catch up thing as well by the way, especially since the study only monitored for I think 6 months.
thats basically what usually happens when minoxidil is used alone.
stooping-hair-loss-with-minoxidil.jpg
Ah I see, so the systemic effect on T would necessarily result in changes at the scalp also. Why do you mention the temples and their sensitivty to androgens in particular though? Although I suppose if you're on finasteride/dutasteride then increase of T levels from something like caffeine wouldn't really matter?
it matters to me cause although Dht is at least 10x stronger and much worse, T also has affinity for the androgen receptor. thats why finasteride and dutasteride might stop hairloss and thicken existing hair but it usually doesn't cause regrowth on the temples.
Was looking up tgfb and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033821/
It says that loss of tgfb2 delays anagen initiation. Shouldn't this be the reverse if inhibiting tgfb is a good thing? Just curious/confused haha
well sh*t. :/ i dont know man, literally everything else ive ever read about hair says that its tgfb2 is negative. Ill have to have a closer look at that later.
wait a minute are you sure its not talking about mice?

"In addition, soluble Fgfr3/4 extracellular domain fragments promote hair growth in mice upon local and systemic delivery"

"In mice, the refractory-to-competent transition occurs after about 1 month in telogen and is accompanied by a precipitous drop in the expression of Bmp2/4 ligands"

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
thats basically what usually happens when minoxidil is used alone.
View attachment 76348

I've seen that about minoxidil, but isn't that because of increased androgen miniaturization over time and not negative effects of minoxidil? I was (and I thought you were) talking about negative effects of caffeine catching up.

it matters to me cause although Dht is at least 10x stronger and much worse, T also has affinity for the androgen receptor. thats why finasteride and dutasteride might stop hairloss and thicken existing hair but it usually doesn't cause regrowth on the temples.

Wait really? I've literally never heard that T itself was also involved in the Androgenetic Alopecia process... I thought increased T was mainly an issue because DHT will also remain proportional. I also thought DHT affected follicles specifically because it was autocrine and localised to just 5ar type II zones. So basically free testosterone in the scalp also causes androgen miniaturization? TIL. Have you got a place I can read more on that?

well sh*t. :/ i dont know man, literally everything else ive ever read about hair says that its tgfb2 is negative. Ill have to have a closer look at that later.
wait a minute are you sure its not talking about mice?

"In addition, soluble Fgfr3/4 extracellular domain fragments promote hair growth in mice upon local and systemic delivery"

"In mice, the refractory-to-competent transition occurs after about 1 month in telogen and is accompanied by a precipitous drop in the expression of Bmp2/4 ligands"

Ah, yeah you're right it seems. Sorry haha, I was kinda just skim-reading a lot of stuff. You think it could just work in the reverse for mice for some reason then?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
but isn't that because of increased androgen miniaturization over time and not negative effects of minoxidil?
exactly
Wait really? I've literally never heard that T itself was also involved in the Androgenetic Alopecia process... I thought increased T was mainly an issue because DHT will also remain proportional. I also thought DHT affected follicles specifically because it was autocrine and localised to just 5ar type II zones. So basically free testosterone in the scalp also causes androgen miniaturization? TIL. Have you got a place I can read more on that?
this has been discussed alot on these forumns. If you are sensitive enough then even T can affect it. Women have low of levels of T for example and even lower amounts of Dht but some still experience hairloss. Dutasteride also lowers serum Dht by more than 90% yet its not really close to being considered a cure. There are guys on here that lose ground while on finasteride and dutasteride and then regrow lots of hair after adding in an androgen receptor blocker, like spironolactone and cyproterone. check out the success story called "you might be interested in reading this" . hormones excert thier pathway signals after activating the proper receptors, thats why blocking too many receptors can cause demasculizing effects.
T however can indirectly help scalp hair if it gets aromatised to estrogen. Women usually have more aromatase in the temple region of their scalp compared to the rest of their scalp. http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hair-loss-biology/hair-loss-aromatase.shtml thats why it is more common for women if they have hairloss to experience overall thinning and less male pattern frontal loss than men. however androgens are what cause androgenic alopecia in both men and women.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly

this has been discussed alot on these forumns. If you are sensitive enough then even T can affect it. Women have low of levels of T for example and even lower amounts of Dht but some still experience hairloss. Dutasteride also lowers serum Dht by more than 90% yet its not really close to being considered a cure. There are guys on here that lose ground while on finasteride and dutasteride and then regrow lots of hair after adding in an androgen receptor blocker, like spironolactone and cyproterone. check out the success story called "you might be interested in reading this" . hormones excert thier pathway signals after activating the proper receptors, thats why blocking too many receptors can cause demasculizing effects.
T however can indirectly help scalp hair if it gets aromatised to estrogen. Women usually have more aromatase in the temple region of their scalp compared to the rest of their scalp. http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hair-loss-biology/hair-loss-aromatase.shtml thats why it is more common for women if they have hairloss to experience overall thinning and less male pattern frontal loss than men. however androgens are what cause androgenic alopecia in both men and women.

This is all really fascinating. Thank you so much for the insight.

Would you not say that another reason for difficulty in getting regrowth from just androgen/androgen receptor blockers is also that your body needs encouragement to begin supplying nutrients+stem cell/beginning stem cell activation again though (e.g. through wounding)? Or do you think it would be an inevitability that your body reactivate dormant follicles if you (theoretically) removed all androgens from the scalp?

Another query... Does T also cause hair loss down the same pathway as DHT? That is, would seti/fevi be a bypass for the problem of androgen miniaturization from T by blocking PGD2 instead?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you not say that another reason for difficulty in getting regrowth from just androgen/androgen receptor blockers is also that your body needs encouragement to begin supplying nutrients+stem cell/beginning stem cell activation again though (e.g. through wounding)? Or do you think it would be an inevitability that your body reactivate dormant follicles if you (theoretically) removed all androgens from the scalp?
Im drunk right now but ill try to answer lol.

castration is known to stop hairloss most of the time amd maybe regrow recently lost hair too. but it doesnt reverse balding just stops it progressing. but the combination of reducing or blocking androgens to stop further loss and then adding additional stimulants can give regrowth. thats why finasteride and min combo is synergestic and known part of "the big 3". hostorically eunuchs castrated before puberty are known to not have male pattern baldness, it was observed by Aristotle. but when you give testosterone injections to eunuchs they experience hairloss. they did this in the 1950's, you can search for the "hamilton studies if you want learn more, its interesting.

but chemical castration is actual considered to be more effective than physical. thats because while women and eunuchs have low levels of androgens they dont have blocked receptors. if you cut off your balls there is still small amounts of T production from your adrenal glands. Something like cyproterone for exampke reduces T And blocks the receptor so even the low amoubts of T in the system can not make much effect. and some regrowth is possible with antiandrogens alone even without minoxidil becaise of the low levels of estrogen become more powerful without any androgenic activity to antagonize its effects. although many people would not be so lucky and still require to add a stimulant or more estrogen to achieve reversal there are some who regrow with just antiandrogens.
However with an antiandrogeb although E is technically reduced because T is reduced and E is actually made from T. the Overall androgen to Estrogen ratio becomes more to the estrogenic side. this is evident in the fact that some estrogenic side effects such as mild gyno are common.

also something like minoxidil can continue to keep working as long as theres no androgens to antagonize it.
ib my oponion the best recipe for regrowth is
a powerful antiandrogen+ estrogen+ dutasteride+ minoxidil

all of these things work in a different way and benefit hair synergestically

of course most men are not trying to feminize themselves. and so prostaglandin based protocols are tempting

personally i have tried before; castor oil oral and topical mixed with Dmso, dermarolling , lithium chloride, stemoxydine, sulfasalazine, sunlight exposure, miconazle nitrate,
and I didnt see results.
when i switched to hardcore anti androgen approach thats when i began to see results.

Westconli has a thread on here and he has been taking high doses of oral seti and only minor success. from what ive seen basically just maintaince or maybe slightly above baseline.
he is not on finasteride or dutasteride or minoxidil though and PGD2 is not the only negative growth factor in hairloss.

lets keep in mind here, Swiss Temples was actually taking dutasteride at the same time as the prostaglandin protocol. and possibly this led to a greater synergistic effect.

also, @HairCook has an interesting theory that Swiss's success was also because of the previous "skin eating chemicals" he experimented with before switching to prostaglandin protocol. necause this broke up some of the fibrotic tissue first. one of the documented differences between bald and hairy scalp is that there ismuch more fibrotic elastic fibers in bald scalp.

now what ive never seen anyine do yet is to try dutasteride+prostaglandin protocol+ minoxidil
possibly this could yield more results at a multiangular approach. Im going go ahead and warn though that apparantly Prostaglandins, including Pge2 are shitty for your skin... https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh*t.109593/

Does T also cause hair loss down the same pathway as DHT?
i believe so, they are both responsible for the development of masculine traits. and male pattern baldness is a male trait. but Dht is stronger. Think of it like this, T can make a smooth face grow peach fuzz but Dht will make it grow a full beard. Dht activates the androgen receptor approximately 2 to 3 times stronger than T and stays attached to the receptor 5 times as long.
Ask yourself, would you rather go 1 day without food or 10days!? your hair is much more likely to be able to survive T than Dht but of course depends on genetic and indicidual sensitivity. Like skinny people with a high metabolism might have a more difficult time going 10 days without food compared to average people!

the only key differences as far as I'm aware besides the strength between the 2 is that Dht cannot be converted to estrogen and that Testosterone is actually better for muscle development because an enzyme in our muscles deactivates Dht.
i have also read that Dht actually does not cause negative feedback on the HPG axis unlike estrogen and testosterone. this is because its actually Estrogen which causes the negative feedback but the brain has a bunch of aromatase in it, so whenever T or E reaches the brain it readjusts gonadal hormone production based on the levels sensed.

Last edited:

Beatlejim

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not just fill a spray bottle with strong black coffee and spray a little on your scalp each day without rinsing it out?

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride has any effect on pgd2?

Yes, a bit. Not enough for regrowth though.

You could basically regrow going full in with crth2 inhibitor+ wounding etc with the pg-protocoll and then maintain with anti-androgen.
Those are still important btw, cause DHT upregulates also DKK1 and probably other stuff we dont know much about(AhR, CXXX5?).
If you dont wanna finasteride, you might consider Vit C topically cause it downregulates Dkk1, Nrf2 and at the same time deal with oxidative stress. I think ppl should try more vit c serums. I would use one, but I saw some anecdotal that vitE (also a lot of types of types of toco seem to affect cox) can shoot hair just as well, so I am worried about those commercial serums.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would use one, but I saw some anecdotal that vitE (also a lot of types of types of toco seem to affect cox) can shoot hair just as well, so I am worried about those commercial serums.
well there was that one study saying Vit E succinate increses pge2 and decreases Pgd2, at least in vitro

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well there was that one study saying Vit E succinate increses pge2 and decreases Pgd2, at least in vitro

There was a lot of testing, for most ppl it did nothing. Thats also only one form of vit E. One guy even tried oral vitE succinate and his hair got sh*t (he could pull it out super easily). The one study we got does not even imply how strong it affects them.

If you want a prostaglandin modulator take Sulfasalazine or even better, test its active form mesalamine which can also be used topically unlike sulf (which makes your head yellow lol). I tried ordering powder cause it was listed online prescription free, sadly they didnt wanna sell it to me... It is supposed to have also less sides than sulf.

ElTioLaBota

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, a bit. Not enough for regrowth though.

You could basically regrow going full in with crth2 inhibitor+ wounding etc with the pg-protocoll and then maintain with anti-androgen.
Those are still important btw, cause DHT upregulates also DKK1 and probably other stuff we dont know much about(AhR, CXXX5?).
If you dont wanna finasteride, you might consider Vit C topically cause it downregulates Dkk1, Nrf2 and at the same time deal with oxidative stress. I think ppl should try more vit c serums. I would use one, but I saw some anecdotal that vitE (also a lot of types of types of toco seem to affect cox) can shoot hair just as well, so I am worried about those commercial serums.
I can keep on finasteride, i've on it 3months no sides to far, so im just looking for things toa dd into my regimen.
Any specifict type of vitC? Or with any serum i'll be fine?
What do you think about applying voltaren on the hairline vellus hairs and slick bald temples? I heard ot decreases COX but at the same time a guy on this forum had success with it.
Im just hoping fevi gets released now...