The First Few Days - Be Warned - Long Read

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

First time poster here, although it must be said I’m just about the lurkiest lurker that ever lurked! Before I get going, I just wanted to say how amazing it is that particular posters on here give so much of their time to patiently answer all questions and concerns that folks have, and do so with compassion and kind words. So many internet forums make a huge deal over repeated questions, but for hair loss, and the process of dealing with it, so many people need to have their fears and anxieties addressed before they can move forward.

So, my story. I have been mulling over the idea of getting a hair system for three years. I have been to many salons for initial discussions, and recently decided that Mens Hair 2 Go in London was my ideal place. The pictures in their gallery looked good, and not to unrealistic (I’m assuming the guys with walls of hair for hairlines asked for that!). I had my initial measure up done in October, but waited until July (I’m a teacher, so the summer holidays were ideal) to have it fitted.

Before I went in, I was super nervous. I couldn’t get my head around the fact that I was going to go and get a wig stuck to my head. But I swallowed my fears and went for it. The atmosphere was very friendly, and my stylist, Salvo was enthusiastic about getting me the best results, so I came to feel at ease. Even during the process, when my head was shaved down, revealing the horseshoe and dome that I had spent most of my adult life trying to avoid, I felt comfortable and ready for my system. I must say, I put this down to the fact that I had done so much research on what was going to happen. Nothing came as a surprise to me at all, so there were no nasty shocks. I even took a few silly selfies while I was left to my own devices in the salon!

What followed was, despite all the research and knowledge, quite scary. The piece was glued on and Salvo went to work. After a while, I was left with the most enormous dead animal sitting on top of my head, apparently in the style that I had asked for! Salvo noticed the look on my face, and asked if it was too long or too dense. I nodded, so he went to town again, trying to shape the dead animal into something more fashionable.

In the end, he stopped, and although the beast was tamed slightly, I still felt quite sick. It was heavy and bulky, and so dense I felt like I was wearing one of those helmets that the queen’s guard wear. I walked out of the salon with an awful sense that I had messed up big time. I had told myself that today was the day that I would make a big change – I would either become a card-carrying wig-wearer, or I would out myself as balding after so many years of concealers. At that stage, I was certain it would be the latter.

I was quite smart about this process though, and had booked myself a nice holiday all on my own to Scotland, where I knew I could get used to the system before revealing it to the world. At least there I would be able to give the thing a trial run before making a decision. I had even brought my suitcase along to the salon! I had a hotel booked in London for the first night, simply so I did not have to face my housemates. Off I went, and checked in, and spent the next hour or so gazing in the mirror.

It just felt so wrong. The back, especially, felt like I was wearing a cap, and the front was already lifting (I knew I needed the stronger glue! I sweat like a mother-). So on the first night, I had to glue down the hairline. This was incredibly difficult, and the glue they gave me was really stringy, so I got a lot in the front hair. I managed to get it down, just, and continued to analyse. Gradually, I grew more used to how it looked, and even took a couple of selfies that were fairly flattering. Salvo had, in fact, done an excellent job of recreating the style that I had asked for. It’s just that it was perhaps not the style that I should have requested for what was supposed to be my ‘transitional’ piece.

The next day I whacked a hat on (the one I had told Salvo I wouldn’t be needing!) and got on a coach to Edinburgh. It was an overnight coach, and I couldn’t sleep in the hat I had brought, so I had to expose my hair to the world. Everywhere I went, I thought people were laughing at me. I felt for all the world as though I was wearing the most obvious wig, and that I had, overnight, become a laughing stock. I managed to get some sleep on the coach, but at one point fell asleep with my head resting against the seat in front. Big mistake! I woke up in the cold light of day with the system peeled right back and sticking upwards! Major embarrassment!!!!

The next few days were spent camping in the wilderness. It was a tricky way to do it, but I don’t regret it, as I had all the space and time to sort myself out when I needed to, and a hat for emergencies. On the second night, after another dodgy glue session, I ventured out in public again. Once again, I felt like all eyes were on me. The barmaid and barman were laughing all night, no doubt at something else, but I was convinced it was me they were joking about. Still, I stuck it out and had something to eat and a drink. It was uncomfortable, but a necessary step in my life as a hair wearer.

Over the course of the trip, my anxiety died down. I made a point of being in public with no hat on, and I gradually came to realise just how little people were taking note. Part of me wonders if perhaps there were people that noticed on that first night, but that they noticed because I was acting like there was something to notice. As I relaxed, I began to enjoy life under my new hair.

The holiday finished and I made my way back to London, hatless but full of anxiety over my friends and family seeing me. The first obstacle would be my former workmates. I had agreed to go for drinks with them as soon as I was back in London. Fortunately, they hadn’t seen me for a few weeks, so this would be an easier transition that some. I circled the bar several times, waiting to pluck up the courage to go inside. When I finally did, I ensured that I looked happy and enthusiastic to be there. There were a couple of double takes, but generally it was a normal greeting. A very good friend of mine seemed slightly more fixated than others, and when we were at the bar, he said “Your hair man! I’ve never seen it like this! It looks really good!”

We chatted for a while, and I played down the new style as the effects of camping and not washing (it was shaggy and unkempt, not in the style that Salvo had managed!). When I got back to the table, another of my friends approached me.

“Your hair looks much better longer!” he said, reaching out to touch. I flinched slightly, but allowed him to run his fingers through it. “Makes you look much younger, we’ve all been saying how good it looks while you were at the bar!”

This made me feel great, and certainly allayed a lot of my fears. That said, the guy whose leaving drinks it was did a double take and said nothing. He’s a fellow hairloss sufferer, and I think he’s used concealers a lot in the past, so I wonder if he knew. I do think that if you’re going to be sniffed out, it’s bound to be on a ‘takes one to know one’ basis. If he did notice, I frankly didn’t mind. That’s a key point of all of this really. The only people who will ever tell it’s a system are people who know what systems are. And to know what a system is, you have to have researched them. Who knows? Maybe he’ll consider getting his own after seeing mine.

So at the end of the evening, I skipped merrily (I’d had a few jars!) home, fortunately before my housemate got in from his night shift. I’d had enough for one day, and preferred to save the big reveal to him until the morning. I went straight to bed so I would be asleep when he got home.

The next morning I was racked with nerves. Revealing my system to a few mates who I hadn’t seen in a while was one thing, but this guy knows me well and sees me every day. He also doesn’t mince his words, so any suspicion he had would surely lead to challenging questions. I ‘slept in’ until almost 1pm as I didn’t want to see him. In the end, I ventured downstairs, and he was there making tea.

And there it was. The strangest thing. He said nothing. He took no second glances. The man I have lived with for three years, through the absolute arse-end of my hairloss struggle, and he didn’t even look twice. We chatted for an hour about my holiday. I told him I’d lost weight with all the walking to attempt to extract some sort of comment about the change in my appearance. Nothing.

And that’s where I am now. Challenges ahead:

My family – they will surely tell, and I don’t really mind, but I’m going to see their reaction first. I’m certain they won’t know it’s a wig, but I’m strangely curious about what sorts of questions they will ask.

My friends – some I’ve known for years, and who will certainly see a change. What will they think? Will they suspect?

Work – I’m back to work in September, and I’m avoiding social meetups with colleagues at all costs (some are getting rather annoyed at my reluctance to meet!). There is the added issue of the children too! I teach in a Primary School, and I am so curious to see what they have to say! They will certainly see a difference in my appearance, but are they clued up enough to notice it’s my hair? Interestingly, working with kids was probably the reason I did this. Adults find a means of not staring at barely concealed baldness, but a kid will just gawp at you! One girl, when standing behind me while I was sitting (with a fantastic view of the back of my head!) told me it was time to shave my hair!

So, how am I feeling? Well all in all I’m pretty happy. The argument over whether the system stays or goes is over and I’m keeping it. I can’t get the hairline right yet, and I’m still at the beginning of the learning curve, but if I feel ok now, then things can surely only get better! I am still sad for the dead animal though, it didn’t have much chance to live before being strapped to my head.

Things I learnt:

- Glue! If you have the wrong one, it will not stick!!!!!! Buy lots of different ones, and don’t fall for the salon’s line that one will fit all.

- Knowledge is power! The thought of going through this process without the body of knowledge that I have behind me is utterly terrifying. I was able to answer my own questions as I went along, and that alleviated almost all of my anxieties.

- If you have an itch and you scratch the system, hair will fall out! And yes, it does itch under the system!!! Perhaps this goes away in time, but be prepared for it!

- If you put glue directly on the system (as the salon told me to do!) it will go through the lace and onto the hair – be warned!!!!!!

- Thin-skin does not feel thin when it’s glued to your head. I’m getting full lace next time. It is also detectable around the edge, which means you have to be very careful before going out to ensure your hair is covering it.

- Getting away from friends and family for the initial part of the process was the best thing I did. That space and time to get to grips with the system was just what I needed.

Things I need to know:

- I have no idea how to get my hairline right. A step-by-step would be greatly appreciated

- Any tips on playing sport and exercise would also be hugely appreciated

- I’m also an avid scuba diver. I have found little advice on this, but would be devastated if I couldn’t dive with the system, and I’m talking week-long live-aboard holidays. Please, if you have done anything like this, let me know how it went and what you did. This is the only major sticking point for me so above all else I would hugely appreciate any input.

Anyways, long post! I will keep you updated on the family and friend meetings. If you’ve read this far, well done!!! P

pferr

Reaction score
I've just had my hair fitted with Mens Hair2Go on Thursday and have been absolutely thrilled with the result. I have spent the last few days down the south of England visiting friends and family and everyone has said it looks natural and great.

I haven't wet it yet as the water over here is harsh and will do so this afternoon when back in Cardiff (softer water) but have been using a leave in conditioner so it has a bit of a gleen to it which I keep getting paranoid of it looking greasy but my friends confirm it just looks like product. Can't wait to give it a bit of a rinse tonight though.

I've also had a bit of lift with the hairline but nothing major and have a wear down style anyway so the hairline isn't exposed. If you're worried about the hairline MH2GO are supportive in that you can call or email and also go for a course on how they show you to remove and reattach the system? You might benefit from thst? To minimise the unit moving whilst sleeping maybe look at investing in a silk nightcap or pillow case?

As you say, not all glues will react well to everyone's skin condition so you'll just have to shop around a bit until you find one that agrees with you.

Naturally any sort of water sport will put more strain on the system which will shorten its lifespan so if you're adament about water sport then you may just need to invest in a system more often. A skin system too is not as durable as lace.

Just my thoughts.

:)

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jim - utterly fantastic account; that is so valuable to anyone considering this route. Although my route into hair replacement was different, I can identify completely with the challenges you faced and the insights you got. This should be compulsory reading.

I will come back to you on your questions shortly.

Noah

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great insight pferr, and yes, just to be clear, MH2GO seem to be an excellent outfit. Salvo really did do an astonishing job. I feel for the stylists in these places - when you have a new client, they will never truly appreciate what a good job they have done there and then. They must send loads of people away looking, like me, very bemused.

I have had a few issues with the back lifting, and I spoke to Jay (the main man) who has reassured me that they can fix it, so I'm going for a free touch up in a few days.

With regards to the scuba diving, I really don't mind the long term toll it will take on the system (I will probably time it to fit with the natural end of a system, or even wear an old one), but my concern is with the pesky thing doing some diving of its own. I've got horrible images in my head of having to ask a dive master to pop down to the bottom of the ocean to rescue my wig!

Noah, I'm glad you found the account valuable. I intend to keep posting to this thread as things develop. Looking forward to your insight :)

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello from a fellow UK wearer.

I actually have lace but poly back/sides (so there's strip around the perimeter- just not at the front). And I'm likely to go for full skin soon because I want easier clean ups when I do it myself (I figure I can do it myself from time to time - to be self reliant and somewhat cost).

Do let us know how scuba goes. myhairexperience (youtube channel) had something along those lines recently during his holiday. He even has an early video about swimming with it.

My back lifts more often but it's sort of not much of an issue - wearing is actually a lot more forgiving to little issues than you'd think.

The hairline is also really easy to re-do yourself. It takes me maybe 30 mins to remove the front, clean it and re-bond it. It's then better than from the salon.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi again Jim; coming back to you on your questions.

Hairline - assuming you have the whole system off, the secret I find is to get the system anchored in the perfect location first, so that you can concentrate on applying the lace perfectly without having to worry about location. I put tape on the back and sides of the unit, but leave the backing paper on the tape, and just turn over one corner on each piece. Then I put two little bits of additional tape (a square centimetre each) on the piece, about the mid-point (over the top of my ears) about a centimetre in from the edge, one on each side. I do take the backing paper off those. Then I give my scalp and the two small pieces of tape a light spritz of alcohol, and put the piece on. Because of the alcohol and the small size of the bare pieces of tape, I am able to move the piece around until it is in the perfect position.

I have a distinct tan line which shows me where my system should sit (most long-term wearers get one). You won't have that yet, so you may have to experiment with the piece before you start the application process, and then mark the front with a dot from a make-up pencil.

Once I have my system in the perfect location, I can press down on the two pieces of tape, and they stick, anchoring the whole system. Then I remove the backing paper off the tape at the sides and back of the piece in stages - sides first, then back. The secret of avoiding wrinkles I find is to get exactly the right amount of tension in the base as you stick it down - it has to be taut, but not under tension, if that makes sense.

When the back is down I mark where the hairline falls with my thumbnail, then flip up and clip up the front of the piece and apply the glue. Then, when it is dry, I unclip the front of the piece and lay it down, sides first, and lastly the very front. Again, the degree of tension is the crucial thing.

Scuba - I've done scuba diving 3 times wearing my system, and snorkelling dozens of times. Actually there's not much to say - it's really problem free. I would use 3-mil tape for the front hairline, and an extra line of strong tape immediately behind the 3-mil - Walkers No-Shine is the one I use. But actually if you are wearing a lace base scuba and snorkelling doesn't put any unusual strain on the hairpiece - the water just washes in and out through the mesh and there is no resistance. The only thing to remember is that you need to get the hairpiece on 24 hours before you are going in the water, so that the adhesive has plenty of time to cure.

When you come out of the water, be careful taking your mask off - stretch the rubber band out at the back and slip your hand underneath, so that you are pulling the rubber up over your hand, and not over the hairpiece. Your hair at the front will be hanging down over the hairline, and it's best to leave it there until you have a chance to have a shower and check the hairline. Don't be tempted to slick the hair back, just in case a bit of lace has come loose. It probably isn't going to happen, but better safe than sorry. And obviously wash the salt out of your piece as soon as you can.

Hope this is useful.

Noah

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Noah, thank you so much for the incredible advice. The walkthrough is perfect, and the scuba stuff has really put my mind at ease!

:)

Noah

Reaction score
Glad it was helpful, Jim. I sent you a PM too - the envelope in the top righthand corner.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For scuba and snorkeling, I have used a bathing cap, similar to those warned by Olympic swimmers. And for whomever questioned my usage of this, simply answered that I wanted to protect my hair from salt water...if you go that route careful when removing the snug cap as it may pull hair. Stretch it out as you remove it

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

So what do you do about motorcycle helmets?

I have a kid who needs a system and rides a motorcycle with a full helmet, he's worried about taking it on and off all the time.

S.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

So what do you do about motorcycle helmets?

I have a kid who needs a system and rides a motorcycle with a full helmet, he's worried about taking it on and off all the time.

S.

I've often thought about this 'cos I used to ride a bike and would love to at some point in the future. I reckon I'd have to go for a short hair cut on top and a 'flat' style so that the bike helmet literally just plonks down on it and doesn't mess with the style too much. Some kind of brushed forward crop style.

I'd also think fully bonded (I wear UTS) would be better as it is more secure.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick update: Played football for the first time in my hair system yesterday. Again, none of my team really noticed or mentioned anything, including my oldest and best mate. One guy did make a point of saying it had grown, and then proceeded to try and run his hands through it, starting from the hairline. I wondered if maybe from touching it, he had twigged, but he tried again after the game and I don't think he would have put me in that situation if he suspected. He also referred to me as Samson after I'd scored my third goal, suggesting that my longer locks might well be the key to my powers! Funny thing is, I don't think he's far wrong! The benefits of feeling confident in my looks are so far reaching. I played last night with real confidence and freedom; something that I could never have done with a dodgy combover and concealer in my roots!

I'm really growing to love my system!

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've often thought about this 'cos I used to ride a bike and would love to at some point in the future. I reckon I'd have to go for a short hair cut on top and a 'flat' style so that the bike helmet literally just plonks down on it and doesn't mess with the style too much. Some kind of brushed forward crop style.

I'd also think fully bonded (I wear UTS) would be better as it is more secure.

I wear helmet for motorcycle , cycling, snowboarding .... for hours with hair system on. Yes, it will make the hair flat after the helmet is removed. I spray water and use a hair pick or wide tooth comb to comb the hair. If I forget to bring my water spray bottle , just rub my fingers through the scalp and it works fine too. Once I create lift on the wet hair , it can easily re-style the hair back in shape. Basically its same as dealing with my old bio hair.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
My other housemate just got back from holiday. I've known him for 12 years. He hasn't blinked, not once. No eyes jumping up to my hair. No double takes. Nothing.

It's actually making me paranoid!!! Maybe one person has twigged and has told everyone so that they're prepared for the first sighting. Maybe there's a whatsapp dedicated to my wig!!!!!!

Unlikely though. I genuinely think it's undetectable. The only thing that is concerning me slightly is the skin base is definitely noticeable in a certain light, and the system therefore needs to be brushed in the right way. To clarify though, when I say noticeable, I mean noticeable to ME when I shine a light on it and look in the mirror. It's still worth thinking about, as it will only take one person one second to spot it and the game is up. I'm getting full lace base next time. The combination of the system being breathable and less detectable to the touch, as well as the obvious sweat issues really leads to me to wonder why anyone gets a skin base at all! Of course, I welcome anyone's opinions/experiences on this. :)

Just on my way to the acid test - my mother! I'm really nervous. I don't care about her knowing at all, and if she doesn't notice I will probably tell her anyway. All I know is that she will either confirm my paranoia or expose it as just that, paranoia! If I've been walking around with a dead animal stuck to me head, obviously acting as a wig in the place of my real hair, to the extent that people have had to be very polite and consciously not stare, then she will tell me that! This is the moment where I find out if my confidence in the system is well-placed or delusional!

Wish me luck!

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My other housemate just got back from holiday. I've known him for 12 years. He hasn't blinked, not once. No eyes jumping up to my hair. No double takes. Nothing.

It's actually making me paranoid!!! Maybe one person has twigged and has told everyone so that they're prepared for the first sighting. Maybe there's a whatsapp dedicated to my wig!!!!!!

Unlikely though. I genuinely think it's undetectable. The only thing that is concerning me slightly is the skin base is definitely noticeable in a certain light, and the system therefore needs to be brushed in the right way. To clarify though, when I say noticeable, I mean noticeable to ME when I shine a light on it and look in the mirror. It's still worth thinking about, as it will only take one person one second to spot it and the game is up. I'm getting full lace base next time. The combination of the system being breathable and less detectable to the touch, as well as the obvious sweat issues really leads to me to wonder why anyone gets a skin base at all! Of course, I welcome anyone's opinions/experiences on this. :)

Just on my way to the acid test - my mother! I'm really nervous. I don't care about her knowing at all, and if she doesn't notice I will probably tell her anyway. All I know is that she will either confirm my paranoia or expose it as just that, paranoia! If I've been walking around with a dead animal stuck to me head, obviously acting as a wig in the place of my real hair, to the extent that people have had to be very polite and consciously not stare, then she will tell me that! This is the moment where I find out if my confidence in the system is well-placed or delusional!

Wish me luck!
Photos of two systems comparison:

Attachments

• aviary-image-1565982117115.jpeg
    aviary-image-1565982117115.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 319
  • aviary-image-1565981968386.jpeg
    aviary-image-1565981968386.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 296

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair newbie, what are your views on the two base materials. Both pics look seamless.

Unbelievably, my mum hasn’t twigged! She could see a difference instantly, but she asked if I had dyed my hair!! She said that it definitely looks darker, but I’m putting that down to her interpretation of density rather than a bad colour match.

I’m sure there will be further inspections from her, no doubt as surreptitiously as she can manage, but today has really put my mind at ease. It’s unbelievable to think that only 2 weeks ago I was sitting in a hotel room coming to terms with the idea of everyone knowing I’m a wig wearer! Today, even my own mother isn’t questioning the idea that it’s my own hair.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair newbie, what are your views on the two base materials. Both pics look seamless.

I started wearing the skin base about 9 months ago after wearing Full French Lace (my first system) for about a month. I like both systems and it's been said many times from my old posts. I preferred UTS because clean up and re-attach only takes a few minutes. They both (Skin or Lace) look identical to me and it's super comfortable. The comparison between Lace and Skin is different for each person. Someone might find lace more comforting another might find more irritating.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HN, I have the same views about UTS. It's so quick and easy to clean and attach. None of these problems about getting glue in the hairline etc. And it doesn't itch.

Only downside (for me) is in hot weather but fortunately the weather here is usually quite cold!

theonlyway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a teacher too and have been considering this for a while but the response of the kids and staff have been a major concern. I'd really appreciate it if you provided an update on their reactions when your return to work to help inform my own decision.

Thanks