Thanks HairLossTalk.com! My Results after Three Months! -UPDATE 4/21/09

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a member since probably in September or August sometime. It took me a while to get a grip and start treating my hair. I'm now 21 and have had slow hairloss since probably 17. I had two unsuccessful runs with Rogaine before, 2 years ago and 3 years ago. Both times I quit because shedding freaked me out. I didn't even learn about finasteride until I read this board last summer :shock: . After the rogaine attempts, I waddled around waiting for god knows what, denying the hairloss and dodging comments made about my hair from other people as long as I could. But, I finally talked to my doctor and asked about Propecia in October.

Unfortunately, I experienced a handful of what I thought were sides with Propecia and got off of it after a week of taking it. I had testicular ache and I thought I experienced ED (looking back on it, that might have been in my head). A month later I talked to another doctor about my hairloss and my experience with Propecia and he told me that I would have to really choose soon if I wanted to try to fight my hairloss or just let myself go bald because my hairloss was considerably "advanced." After researching some of the posts here I decided to give finasteride another shot with the 23 pills I had left. I decided to start again on Thanksgiving- 11/20/08. This time I started off on a very low dose- .25 mg (cutting the finasteride with a razor into quarters and putting them into a pill case). To my surprise I did not notice many side effects! I increase my dosage again to .5 mg on 12/20/09. Again, minor sides but no ED or ball ache. I increased to .75 on 01/20/09 and added Nizoral (twice a week) and Rogaine foam (to my crown and temples only). Then I went to the full 1 mg on 02/20/09 and also started applying rogaine foam across my scalp and taking Nizoral three times a week.

I took tons of pictures, but these are the most revealing. My crown is the most stubborn part, but it looks like it might be filling in, and looking back at SE Freak's success thread, his crown took a while to catch up, and I do have follicles there so I'm hopeful. My temples actually have come in a little bit! In the pictures thats probably not so clear, and I did not take any up close pics of my temples unfortunately like some guys here do. Overall, I think I've made great strides and I'm so glad I started. I do want to switch to Proscar (in fifths) eventually, but I have to find a doctor willing to reason with me. All of the pics are taken with flash since the ones with no flash look like s. Anyway, here are my results:

Baseline: Thanksgiving Day (11/20/08)

-Granted, my hair here is very greasy, but this is probably the worst I have ever had it. Honestly, I didn't wash my hair as often, probably because I did not want to touch my head! I usually would sport a slight comb over, but that was getting harder and harder to pull off. I know my hair looks gross and some would have advised me to just shave it or shoot myself, but I usually wore a hat these days.

Front
09.jpg

Overhead
09-1.jpg

Crown
09-2.jpg

Month 1: (12/20/08), Propecia .25 mg

-These pics might be more fair to compare with the others. This is just after a shower and washing my hair.

Front
09.jpg

Overhead
08.jpg

Crown
08-1.jpg

Month 2: (01/20/09), Propecia .5 mg

Front
09.jpg

Overhead
09-1.jpg

Crown
09-2.jpg

Month 2: Haircut (01/27/09), Propecia .75 mg, Rogaine foam (to crown and temples),
-I got a haircut and decided to take pics to better compare with the months afterwards.

Front
09.jpg

Overhead
09-1.jpg

Crown
09-2.jpg

Month 3: (03/04/09)
-ARGH! I lost my camera charger, so I had to buy one off of ebay. That's my excuse for these pics not being on Feb 20th. But this is definitely the best I've seen my hair in a while.

Front
09.jpg

Overhead
09-1.jpg

Crown
09-2.jpg

*UPDATE*-04/28/09

Month 4: (03/24/09)
Propecia 1 mg then back to .75 mg in March, Rogain foam (across scalp), Nizoral 3X/week (starting 02/20/09).
-I went to 1 mg, then I experience constipation sides. I couldn't poop!! I went to the doctor and they noted I might have overdone it with the laxatives which might have actually clogged me up even more, but propecia definitely makes me constipated whenever I increase the dose, except this time it didn't go away. Still hoping I can make it up to 1 mg so I can one day switch to Proscar. I experienced a little bit of a shed (I guess), and these pics aren't much better then the month b4 this.

Front
09front.jpg

Overhead
09front.jpg

Crown
09crown.jpg

Month 5: (04/21/09)
Propecia .75 mg, Rogain foam (across scalp), Nizoral 3X/week.
-Looking like an improvement!! Still haven't tried to switch onto Proscar. Propecia cost me $82 at Walgreens this month (WTF!!). I'm going through Rogaine like crazy trying to cover my head. I need a haircut, it will save me big time on Rogaine.

Front
09front.jpg

Overhead
09overhead.jpg

Crown
09crown.jpg

-And, since people asked, here a pic of my temples. I think I've seen my hairline and temples improve. I'm never expected them to look like Andrew Napolitano's temples, but I think they've improved.

Right temple
09righttemple.jpg

Left temple
09lefttemple.jpg

---
Again, thanks to those veterans and users who responded to me and gave advice. Maybe it hasn't been the biggest turnaround, but I think I've had good results thus far. I'll try to keep you guys updated!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Thanks HairLossTalk.com! My Results after Three Months!

looks like your improving

your double crown looks like a Wu-tang

awesome!

keep it up!

dman23

Reaction score

yeah man its looks better for sure and i think it will look better later on.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score

Excellent results, congratulations! (And it will get even better)

CBF

Established Member
Reaction score

:woot: :woot: , excellent, have you any shed now?

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score

congratulations, there is an undeniable improvement. The hairline seems to be lower and the rest of the hair looks thicker as well as more healthy.

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I haven't had a big shed yet. After reading this board so long, I think I will be ready for it. I will just have to stick to my guns and continue on forward through it and (hopefully) come out better on the other end. I could be crazy, but I think the Nizoral might reduce shedding by a lot. Perhaps before my scalp was getting very irritated, and using Nizoral helps? Who knows. All I could say is to guys my age with thinning hair is to suck it up, admit you're balding, and go to the doctor and get a prescription to finasteride. If you are scared, try starting off low like I did. I wish I did this years ago, before even trying Rogaine by itself.

Reading other peoples success threads really helped encourage me through this. Taking pictures is key, and looking at other people's pics is also key.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score

Your hair literally looks EXACTLY like mine in the first set of photos. I also have diffuse thinning over the entire top of scalp in a norwood 5a pattern. and the double swirl/crown as well. Same color as well. Uncanny!

Looks like your already seeing results! Keep it up.

Petchsky

Reaction score

Hair looking fuller and healthier and still early days! :)

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Rogaine Foam kicks ***, don't be afraid to use more than they prescribe as you can't cover your head from hairline to crown with 1/2 capfullI personally use 2 cans of foam a month and have had growth from hairline to crown and everything in between!!

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc340/mikeb5555/

Da Bears

Reaction score

Nice results! I can definitely see improvement! You are a diffuse thinner like me so you should continue to thicken up nicely over then next few months. Remember to stay consistent. :bravo:

Nighthair

Established Member
Reaction score

huge improvements there. Congrats bro!

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score

Very, very good for just three months!

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey nice regrowth, keep it up! Were you thinning from the temples as well or were you primarily a diffuse thinner? It's somewhat hard to tell from your pictures: have you noticed any considerable temple regrowth or thickening?

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score

Gene_Fighter said:
Hey nice regrowth, keep it up! Were you thinning from the temples as well or were you primarily a diffuse thinner? It's somewhat hard to tell from your pictures: have you noticed any considerable temple regrowth or thickening?

My temples have receded quite a bit since the glory days. But I have seen a little improvement in my temples. If I pull my hair up I'll see small hairs lining my hairline that weren't there before and they seem to have gotten thicker and thicker.

I'm going to try to post pics soon seeing as month 5 is coming up. Month 4 didn't really look much different 1) because i think I went through a "shed" (as small as it was) and 2) my pics for month three were taken so late that it didn't look much different then month 3.

I did go back down to .75 mg with finasteride. I had constipation problems and it was getting out of control. I think I might have overdone it with the laxative/metamucil I was taking, which might have clogged me up even more! I did get a thyroid/liver blood test because some dude on this board insisted it could be fatal liver/thyriod problem and I turned out to be alright, and everything cleared up after I stopped the lax and dropped to .75 mg. This sucks though now because a couple weeks ago when I bought my Propecia it cost me $82!!! OUT OF ****ING CONTROL!!! I really wanted to move to Proscar but I just dont know if that's possible if I'm taking such a weird dosage to try to split 5 mg's into and I def dont want to shed. I guess there's the alcohol thing, anyone have any advice on that? Or maybe I could go to ~.62 mg (split Proscar into 1/8ths). Is that possible? How big is proscar and how impossible is it to split? It's a pain enough to split Propecia as it is. Anyway I guess the real problem is actually getting Proscar as I don't think any doctor is going to prescribe it to me, and I'm not sure about online sites.

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm on Proscar right now, I split them into fourths for the 1.25 mg of finasteride--and I can tell you that you won't be able to split them into eighths, at least not if you are taking the standard size pills, which are wicked small (and I'm not sure if they sell in a larger pill form). Are you sure your body couldn't handle the 1.25 mg of finasteride? Have you tried a higher dosage before?

Also: Did you use the rogaine on your hairline, or just on the top of your head? The reason I ask is because I just got my rogaine foam today and on the packaging they specifically warn against using it on the hairline, and I am primarily a receder....

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Well, this gives hope to all those young guys who can't use Finasteride due to the sides. Well done man, your hair is getting better.

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score

Gene, I started using Rogaine on just my crown, but for a couple months now I have been using it on my entire scalp. Let me tell u something, I go through Rogaine like a mofo, but I guess it's worth it.

decro, I was hoping I could overcome my symptoms I get when I go up to a full single dosage. Propecia is giving me a beating financially, and I really have to find an alternative. As I said, maybe dissolving the 5 mg pill or a quarter of the 5 mg pill into alcohol then measuring/taking it with an oral syringe.

hhj1247

Established Member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*-04/28/09

Posted this on the first post, but thought I might as well do it here as well so to bump my thread :hump: :punk:

Month 4: (03/24/09)
Propecia 1 mg then back to .75 mg in March, Rogain foam (across scalp), Nizoral 3X/week (starting 02/20/09).
-I went to 1 mg, then I experience constipation sides. I couldn't poop!! I went to the doctor and they noted I might have overdone it with the laxatives which might have actually clogged me up even more, but propecia definitely makes me constipated whenever I increase the dose, except this time it didn't go away. Still hoping I can make it up to 1 mg so I can one day switch to Proscar. I experienced a little bit of a shed (I guess), and these pics aren't much better then the month b4 this.

Front
09front.jpg

Overhead
09front.jpg

Crown
09crown.jpg

Month 5: (04/21/09)
Propecia .75 mg, Rogain foam (across scalp), Nizoral 3X/week.
-Looking like an improvement!! Still haven't tried to switch onto Proscar. Propecia cost me $82 at Walgreens this month (WTF!!). I'm going through Rogaine like crazy trying to cover my head. I need a haircut, it will save me big time on Rogaine.

Front
09front.jpg

Overhead
09overhead.jpg

Crown
09crown.jpg

-And, since people asked, here a pic of my temples. I think I've seen my hairline and temples improve. I'm never expected them to look like Andrew Napolitano's temples, but I think they've improved.

Right temple
09righttemple.jpg

Left temple
09lefttemple.jpg