Testosterone In Scalp Increases 104%(!) For 0,5 Mg Dutasteride

INT

Reaction score
"Testosterone increased 4.4% for Finasteride, 6.4% for 0.05mg Dutasteride, 16% for 0.1mg Dutasteride, and 27% for 0.5mg and 2.5mg Dutasteride. Although the rise in Testosterone may seem high, the Testosterone levels were almost always within normal range according to Roger S. Rittmaster, MD.

Scalp DHT measurements were also assessed for both DHT and Testosterone. Scalp DHT was decreased 27% for 0.05mg Dutasteride, similarly for Finasteride (38%) and Dutasteride 0.1mg (37%), 54% for 0.5mg, and 82% for 2.5mg Dutasteride. Rittmaster concluded that these results show that most of the DHT in the scalp comes from type 1 5-alpha reductase.

Scalp Testosterone rose 24% for Finasteride, 46% for 0.05mg Dutasteride, 44% for 0.1mg Dutasteride, 104% for 0.5mg Dutasteride, and 154% for 2.5mg Dutasteride."

https://newhair.com/baldingblog/higher-scalp-t-levels-with-avodart/

Unfortunately, I see no paper but still...

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not saying to do this at all. But if testosterone is a concern, wouldn't something along the lines of spironolactone or cypro lower it?

Hswb

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's why you need a topical AntiAndrogen with the Duta, like Ru58841, Ru58841 competes well against test but not as well against DHT so it's a perfect combo

I am a long time duta user. Never heard/read this one before, but sounds very interesting! I’m slowly losing ground again, so adding RU might at least halt the loss like duta did before? The two work synergetic?

I am not afraid of side effects, but is there any risk (like feminization) by battling this increased T with RU? I am sorry, I am not very well educated on the subject

Hswb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't speak in certainties as I am not your body but generally I have not seen anyone get lowered serum test due to RU topically. I use 85 mg ru daily as we speak and I get my blood work done many times a year for various reasons, ultra sensitive assay for accuracy, and RU has never negatively impacted my blood work.

I understand, that’s good to hear. I never had any side effects on finasteride, duta or minoxidil, so I hope this sets a good marker for my body’s respons to RU. I will start some research on it and will most likely add it to my regimen.

Last 2 questions for now:
- is 85 mg the daily recommended dose?
- For how many days do you prepare your batches? I seem to remember it can lose effectiveness pretty quickly.

Tnx!

Hswb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could adding topical RU to the regimen to reduce scalp T caused by duta, potentially hinder the growth of facial hair? By that I mean hinder it more than duta does on its own?

At this moment I am on a (successful) journey for growing a decent beard, as well as I am fighting hair loss. The duta alone does slow down the beard progress, but it’s still manageable.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
So your serum T levels are sh*t, but who knows how much your scalp is getting affected, if at all.

True but even on dutasteride i was still getting a slightly itchy scalp around my crown area where my hair loss is bad, that is gone on spironolactone, but you are right, hard to be able to tell how much scalp T has been reduced if at all, but im comfortable enough to take it but each person is different.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh nooo. I’m about to start topical Dutas. Is there anything that can be added to stop test?
I was taking 2mg oral duta and using topical dutasteride for over a year now, hair is still very much thinning. I believe I may have caused a huge spike in testosterone on my scalp and possibly hormonal imbalance from dumping big doses of topical dutasteride a few times a week, so im quitting topical and just going to take what has been proven effective for male pattern baldness which is simply 0.5mg oral daily.

Last edited:

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was taking 2mg oral duta and using topical dutasteride for over a year now, hair is still very much thinning. I believe I may have caused a huge spike in testosterone on my scalp, so im quitting topical and just going to take what has been proven effective for male pattern baldness which is simply 0.5mg oral daily.
For this, solely reason (scalp testosterone), if I want to start Dutasteride, I will only add it once a week into my Finasteride regimen, and I will constantly reassess every week. Topical Dutasteride seems not effective for me.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
For this, solely reason (scalp testosterone), if I want to start Dutasteride, I will only add it once a week into my Finasteride regimen, and I will constantly reassess every week. Topical Dutasteride seems not effective for me.
from all the reading I have done the guys that had results from dutasteride has been taking the recommended daily oral dose of 0.5mg. not many take over 0.5mg that is uncharted waters is what many say. and it also spikes scalp T even more, and adding topical duta to it spikes T even further. I believe BALANCE is key to hairloss. why do some guys get crazy results from just taking oral finasteride at 1mg? it dont even block much scalp DHT yet stops hairloss in many, nuking all serum DHT and scalp DHT dont seem to be the cure, even mustang claimed he was thinning on oral and topical duta despite having zero dht in serum and no scalp dht. and he now only use topical duta once weekly and it worked for him, balance is key I believe. too much of one thing isnt good I think. btw I recently read about a guy using oral finasteride daily and he added oral duta only once weekly and he got thickening. so yeah try that. I recently started taking like 9mg oral minoxidill daily I hope it gives me results in a year.

Last edited:

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
from all the reading I have done the guys that had results from dutasteride has been taking the recommended daily oral dose of 0.5mg. not many take over 0.5mg that is uncharted waters is what many say. and it also spikes scalp T even more, and adding topical duta to it spikes T even further. I believe BALANCE is key to hairloss. why do some guys get crazy results from just taking oral finasteride at 1mg? it dont even block much scalp DHT yet stops hairloss in many, nuking all serum DHT and scalp DHT dont seem to be the cure, even mustang claimed he was thinning on oral and topical duta despite having zero dht in serum and no scalp dht. and he now only use topical duta once weekly, balance is key I believe. too much of one thing isnt good I think. btw I recently read about a guy using oral finasteride daily and he added oral duta only once weekly and he got thickening. so yeah try that. I recently started taking like 9mg oral minoxidill daily I hope it gives me results in a year.
It really is important because throwing the kitchen sink at things can cause AR upregulation. One step at a time.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im on oral, topical spironolactone is useless.
did you try putting spironolactone 2% in liquid form on scalp twice daily? like putting 100mg topically all over the scalp twice daily? I got a 2% spironolactone in alcohol. if I put 5ML on scalp thats 100mg isnt it? as 2% is 20mg per ML?

KHURMA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical Spironolactone (30 pills) + Diane-35 (21pills) + Sandalore 1ml in Stemoxydine 100ml - this is what I do now for about a month plus topical dutasteride, finasteride 1.25mg every day and topical minoxidil. Hopefully, it helps with testosterone in the scalp.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
this could mean very little, say if 5AR acticity is very high most testosterone gets converted to dht so there is little T left. 100% of little is still little. the percentage does not mean much because all it says is that tissue T has doubled, what if 99% where converted to dht? normally dht is about 10% of total T but in some tissue like scalp and prostate where 5AR activity is very high only a very small percentage may in fact NOT get converted to dht. so of course you see this raise but it should not mean that it is bead for hair