*Success* on finasteride and Nizoral 2% **NEW PICS**

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not an overly active member on this board as I am on hairlosshelp but I felt that I should post my success story here to help "balance" all the negativity that always haunts these message forums.

I'm 26yrs old and started to noticed an unusual shed Jan. 2002. Of course I was in complete denial and just wrote it off as "stress" and bad living.

By Dec of 2003 I could no longer deny I was loosing my hair. It was hard for me to accept because I always had super thick hair just like my dad who is 52yrs. Everyone always told me I would never go bald with all the hair I had.

Anyhow, I wasnt receding just diffused thinning. More specifically, my hair all over my head was getting thinner and thinner... Even though there was no "bald" areas I went from no scalp showing in direct sunlight even if my hair was wet and combed back to scalp showing in direct sunlight when hair was dry and combed forward.

I jumped on Finasteride (Propecia at the time later switching to Proscar for money) and used it for the last 10months.

Like most men on Finasteride I got no side effects nor did I get a shed. Quite the opposite in fact! My shed rate decreased by half.

I was still loosing ground though (albeit much slower). So I added Zix w/ Azelaic acid and Nizoral 2% shampoo. Within a month my shed stopped 100% and within 2months my hair was looking thick and strong.

I have been able to maintain my results now using 1/4th a tablet of Proscar, Nizoral every third day, and zix once a day to every other day.

This routine has been so effective for me I'm going to grow my hair long and wear it back again.

The reason I am making this post is because I want others to know that treatments **DO** work. So many people here whine and cry about everything under the sun it makes me nausious. A drug that is safe and effective is made to seem as if it will cause you to turn into a sterile, limp dick, mutant with no mind. That is just outrageous!

I am not a unique individual. Granted my end results are also largely due to the fact that I caught my male pattern baldness early and didnt dick around with "natural" remedies and "magic" potions.. However, the fact remains that it was an effective treatment that can give benefit to 80%+ of men. It has an excellent safety profile and side effects are RARE.

Here is my webpage as hosted on hairlosshelp:

Sock's Webpage

**EDIT**

NEW PICS as of 10/15/04

socks_5.jpg

misterium

Reaction score
what is Zix ?

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont see a difference. Which one is the before and after because I don't see a difference from the 3 photos.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
heh p.s. there is no visual difference at all.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
None of the pics are when my hairloss was at its worse.

The first pic on top is me now. The bottom pic with my daughter is when my hairloss first started to become noticable to me (not others).

I do not have any pics in between as they were lost when I reformatted my HD (I x-fered my data to a slave drive but for some reason the data became corrupted. I was able to retrieve the daughter pic since that one was posted on my main webpage).

I can only describe in words the progression of hairloss... The hair diameter through out my head kept getting smaller and smaller so that even though I had as many hairs, the hairs no longer provided dense coverage over my scalp. The result was my scalp showing in direct light which has NEVER been normal for me.

As you can see in the pics that is no longer the case. My purpose of my post though is to let other guys know that treatments do work. That there is a lot of unwarranted negativity on these message boards that should be carefully scrutinized.

The sooner a guy gets on proven treatments the better the end result. I acted within 1 1/2yrs and my results have been terrific... The longer you wait the less "amazing" the end result will be... Though, no matter what, getting on treatments, in all likelihood, will result in a better long-term prognosis then not getting on treatments.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Socks - I agree!

More people need to show results, even if its just maintenance. As for products like Zix - Guys here typically just dont jump on bandwagon treatments because they dont see a lot of science backing them. Thats all. They're probably helping though, and thats good!

HairLossTalk.com

Whammy

Reaction score
I think you're the only person on here I've read who claims actual good results from Zix. Considering you're on finasteride, I just can't believe that the Zix was that effective. It could simply be a coincidence you had the results when you started the Zix, it seems going through stages where your hair really improves on finasteride is quite common. Another thing is, I don't see any science on how long zix lasts, how effective it is, or even if it's medically healthy.(the website i read warns about this)

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk

Socks - I agree!

More people need to show results, even if its just maintenance. As for products like Zix - Guys here typically just dont jump on bandwagon treatments because they dont see a lot of science backing them. Thats all. They're probably helping though, and thats good!

Thank you HairlossTalk :)

I would love to see more guys who experience any level of success both show results via photos and through their own personal experiences! While we all had the misfortune of inheriting the AA gene we all have the great fortune of living in an age and time when there is something we can do about it!

I am very grateful to the good men and women who hosts Hairloss message boards such as hairlosstalk that provide men and women with not only a wealth of information on various hairloss issues but also provide a forum in which we can communicate with one another.

For that my hats go off to you guys and I stand humbled by your commitment to this issue that can cause a great deal of turmoil in men and women's lives.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whammy Writes:

I think you're the only person on here I've read who claims actual good results from Zix. Considering you're on finasteride, I just can't believe that the Zix was that effective. It could simply be a coincidence you had the results when you started the Zix, it seems going through stages where your hair really improves on finasteride is quite common. Another thing is, I don't see any science on how long zix lasts, how effective it is, or even if it's medically healthy.(the website i read warns about this)

Whammy,

I wouldnt advocate zix w/azelaic acid as a substitute for Finasteride. I do feel that it is a good addition to a routine that consists of Finasteride 1x daily and Nizoral 2% every other day or every third day.

There are studies that show that Zinc Sulfate and B6 P-5-P, in sufficient doses, can inhibit 5ar by 90%-100% in-vitro. There was a study that showed that when Azelaic acid was added the amount of Zinc and B6 needed to reduce 5ar by 90%-95% dropped considerably. However, again the study was done in-vitro.

My personal feeling is that Zix with or without Azelaic acid isnt going to reduce the 5ar enzyme by 90%-95% in-vivo. If it did then Zix with or without Azelaic acid would provide better results then Finasteride. I dont feel this to be the case.

However, I would take an educated guess that there is likely some inhibition of the 5ar enzyme that may provide a complementary benefit to a treatment like Finasteride and Nizroal 2%.

I can tell you that my hairloss stopped within two weeks of starting Zix /w azelaic acid and Nizoral 2%. I recently (few weeks ago) became lazy with my zix use and stopped for a while... I noticed a slight increase in the amount of hair lost for a few days until I added zix back into my routine (1x daily though instead of 2x daily).

It is possible it is a coincidence but it is enough to convince me to keep using it :)

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sock, How long do you keep it on yourself? I been leaving it on for about 15 to 20 minutes is that ok. Also, do you put on any shampoo after washing Nizoral because I do.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ACT10Npack,

15-20mins should be fine. I sometimes leave it on for that long too.

My routine with Nizoral 2% is:

I wash my head in the sink before my shower every 2nd or 3rd day. I first wash with a mild shampoo and leave it on for 1min to make sure all the oil and dirt is loosened up and then rinse. Then I apply the Nizoral 2%. I then brush my teeth, shave, and take a shower. At the end of the shower I rinse my hair. All in all the Nizoral is on my head for 10-20mins.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
emmm, i wouldnt recommend that...on the nizoral bottle is says in big bold letters, and in several places on the leaflet, do not leave on for longer than 3-5 minutes. thats all the time it needs to be effective.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk

emmm, i wouldnt recommend that...on the nizoral bottle is says in big bold letters, and in several places on the leaflet, do not leave on for longer than 3-5 minutes. thats all the time it needs to be effective.

I have been leaving it on for 10-25mins for the last 2 months or so now and I have experienced zero negative side-effects.

I would recommend only using it for 3-5mins when you first start Nizoral to make sure you dont have any negative side-effect, that the increased duration of the medication on your scalp may, intensify.

Saltwater77

Reaction score
does it matter what type of zinc compound you use in zix? the formula calls for zinc sulphate, which has 50 mg of elemental zinc, but there are others like zinc citrate and zinc gluconate which also contain 50mg of elemental zinc but are much easier to find.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
does it matter what type of zinc compound you use in zix?

Zinc is zinc :)

The difference between zinc sulfate and other forms of zinc is that zinc sulfate is suppose to dissolve better in water then other forms of it.