Success!! 2 years on Finpecia

spatone33

Reaction score
I've been on Finpecia for coming up 2 years. I started in Nov 2010, after a good friend of mine (who had a great head of hair at 40) recomended I try taking finasteride. He explained the whole concept of Propecia and how it works to me. I was very sceptical, I'd pretty worn hats for the last 3 years. I think he could see it was a sensitive subject and was telling me how over the last 4 years his hair had totally come back thanks to finasteride. I must add he said he was never 'bald' he had fairly good hair, but was receeding quite badly and had the beginnings of a bald patch. Pretty much what I had. Just basically thinning hair. I'd started loosing it around 21 (i'm 27 now). Everyone keeps telling me how much healthier my hair looks and I have started going to the hair dressers and styling it again... vs wearing a cap or just shaving it all off at home. It really feels great, I don't think I'm 100% there yet, it really feels like I'm only just starting to notice a change and receiving compliments. I just hope it keeps on improving. UNfortuantely I don't have loads of before pictures as I would never allow anyone (including myself) to photograph me without a hat on. But I've found a few photos that somewhat show my progress up till the modern day. And any improvement when you're going bald is a big thing! I recently in the last few months have added MSM to my regime... whilst I don't think it cures baldness, I think it speeds up hair growth and strenghtens hair and nails. Which when new hair is coming through, definitely helps. I've holding off posting for a long time, as I've been so embarrassed about admitting loosing my hair in the first place, but I just want to encourage others to start early and as soon as you can, and it does work. When googling hairless so much bullish*t comes up, and it was only thanks to a close friend who I trusted that I did anything!

Photos...Before on the left - 2008, 2nd one in Sep/ Oct 2011

The two on the right - After 2 years on Propecia.

All the photos are unedited. (sorry I know they are not the greatest pics!)

As you can see, I still did have a reasonable amount hair it just was thinning at a rapid rate. I wish I had some more photos of the top of my head as it was really bad just before I started, and maybe for the first year of so of using Propecia. Hair density is so much better now, thicker, fuller and just generally feels/ looks better! Let me know what you guys think.
:salut:

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8,438
  • before22008.jpg
    before22008.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 7,184
  • afterOct2012.jpg
    afterOct2012.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 7,555
  • afterSep2012.jpg
    afterSep2012.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 8,090
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6,828

heyyou

Reaction score
Nice progress mate! congratulations. Just a few questions, how much of finasteride are you taking daily and did you go through a noticeable shed in the first couple of months on finasteride? :)

Thanks and good luck!

spatone33

Reaction score
Hi mate, 1mg a day ordered from propeciapharmacy.com . Yeah I think it definitely got a little worse before it got better. I shaved my head not long after taking it, so it was hard to say if there was a shed or not. I just got fed up with worrying about it. I was lucky to have a friend to mentor me through and assured me that part of the process is shedding, loosing the old crappy thin hair, to make way for the new stuff! But patience is key. Only getting on to 2 years have I started seeing results. Some people it's quicker for. Like with my friend he noticed a difference after 6 months or so. Also the key is to take it religiously every day. Not like on and off and don't stop once you've started. It's a very gradual change... not overnight!

What are you taking?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try and dig out some more photos. I do feel I have a little way to go. Still a slight thinning patch. I can honestly say I feel so much more confident though within the last couple of months actually going out without a hat on!

heyyou

Reaction score
I got a prescription from my dermatologist for 1mg of Propecia which i'm starting to take in a couple of days. I still have a good head of hair but you know, there's thinning in there so I hope I will get it filled up while on propecia. Still worrying a little about the shed so I hope it wont make things even worse. The genuine propecia (merck) from local pharmacy will also cost a lot do you think if using this propecia for let's say a year and then shifting to another brand (e.g. ordered from the page above) can make things worse? have you ever tried different brands?

spatone33

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't tried anything else. I used this one because it was the exact same one a friend recomended and also seems fairly cheap. Believe me though I was hugely sceptical at first. I'm sure changing brand wouldn't change anything, as I believe a drug is a drug if it's the same dosage it should be fine. But I would probably rather stay on one thing. If it works! Stay on it I say.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a photo of where you are at?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I didn't feel I had the confidence to go to a doctor. So sort of self prescribed myself the medication. I actually have never even told anyone I'm on it, apart from my friend. Starting to become hard when someone say... have you done something to your hair, it looks thicker... My reply is normally no I just got a different hair cut.

heyyou

Reaction score
Yeah it's just that the genuine propecia is like 80$ while finpecia is like $20 for the exact same dosage and pills. weird. if i will go through a financial problem, i might try to order from the page you told me about (plus they ship to my country, Czech Republic) not many online pharmacies do.

Unfortunately I do not have any picture. My hair looks good when washed and styled, but there's receeding hairline and kind of less hair on the back and on the left side of my head plus i have male pattern baldness in my family. So i'm trying to start on it as soon as possible to gain back what I lost. I hope it'll work.

Could you tell me if your hair is less greasy while on finasteride? I have to wash it everyday and am wondering if while on finasteride it makes to produce less sebum. Thanks.

P.S. I know that hat-thing. I also started wearing hat a lot so when it is windy outside noone can talk about my hairline lol.

spatone33

Reaction score
Hair just feels healthier and thicker, yeah definitely less greasy. And my scalp feels healthier too, used to have bad dandruff and itchiness before finasteride. Yeah the worse thing for me, was if someone brought up my hair. I would change the subject instantly. Yes my dad was pretty bald, his Dad. My i know friends who are bald are no one else in there family is! ha. I guess it's in most peoples families somewhere or another and just comes out randomly! Bloomin annoying!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate. I'd say the earliest I noticed a difference was at 18 months, but I did have very short hair for quite a while. It's definitely a gradual thing!

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
looks like amazing progress spatone33, congrats. i know what you mean about going to doctors - some doctors are very on-board with stuff like Propecia and others react as if you are completely insane. In the end i just got my mum write my first prescription for Propecia.

edit: mum = AUS and mom = USA

spatone33

Reaction score
after4.jpg
Another recent back of the head shot. Could maybe still thicken up a little, but it's definitely getting better, compared to the similar before photo in my first post, which was back in 2008, bear in mind I didn't start finasteride till Nov 2010 as well. So was a lot worse than that when I actually started!

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers man, I'm still a bit in shock... I've been so use to having crap hair for such a long time and been way to sensitive to talk about it. I just hope it keeps improving and getting better. Does anyone know if it works well on older people? i'm thinking of recomending it to my step dad.

According to the study it worked best on younger people (higher success rate), but does work on older folks. It all depends on many factors, including level of baldness etc. You were pretty minimal (believe it or not).