Study: Ketoconazole is a STIMULANT.........

michael barry

Reaction score
Nizoral 1 or 2% makes my hair so dry and fluffy. I have curly hair and I have been trying to wash it once a week with Nizoral 2% but how the hair looks for a few days after is a joke

A conditioner might help? Proctor sells a NANO conditioner that would throw some peptides onto the mix.....

I use Nizoral two to three times a week. No more than every third day. I LEAVE IT IN for a COUPLE of minutes though. The 2% version has instructions to leave in for several minutes just like T-sal and T-gel do. I think it says five minutes, but I'd have to recheck. I use the 1% version myself. Thats probably where so many guys go wrong with Nizoral and dont get much benefit...............they wash it out too soon. NANO shampoo has instructions to leave in for 1-2 minutes.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
harold said:
I wish they went into more detail about their methodology and I would love to see someone attempt to measure serum levels after use as shampoo but oh well.

That's already been done. Someone on HLH posted what was apparently an early study of Nizoral, showing that serum levels of keto were virtually undetectable even with heavy use.

This I would love to see. I havent been able to find anything on shampoo, in particular and only a few very old abstracts on topical keto. I will have a look for it but if you have the link...
hh

EDIT in fact one of the reasons I ask is that there was a guy on this site who had bloodwork done and one of the things that came back apparently was ketoconazole. It does strike me as unexpected that it would come back with nobody looking for it particularly but I have no reason to think he made it up either.

powersam

Reaction score
harold said:
EDIT in fact one of the reasons I ask is that there was a guy on this site who had bloodwork done and one of the things that came back apparently was ketoconazole. It does strike me as unexpected that it would come back with nobody looking for it particularly but I have no reason to think he made it up either.

The pathologist can't really find things he is not testing for can he? Not by my understanding of pathology anyway. Especially something like ketoconazole.

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I read the Japanese PDF that was posted briefly the guys in the test were they ONLY using nizoral and not propecia?

ALSO

Can the same effects be obtained with use of nizoral 2% every day for 10mins on scalp or Do we HAVE to use the lotion?

I don't mind having to combine the two those results in the PDF are damn amazing!

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Jake_89 said:
Hi guys I read the Japanese PDF that was posted briefly the guys in the test were they ONLY using nizoral and not propecia?

Yes only nizoral.

ALSO

Can the same effects be obtained with use of nizoral 2% every day for 10mins on scalp or Do we HAVE to use the lotion?

I don't mind having to combine the two those results in the PDF are damn amazing!

I suspect you could get similar results from the shampoo. Since the article was Japanese originally some finer details may have been lost in translation. Eg from memory it says the participants used the lotion once daily during or after regular shampoo IIRC. So it is not clear to me whether they are just washing it off or leaving it on the skin all day. I am not even sure if it would make that much difference as things can be absorbed very quickly through hair follicles and I think shampoo on hydrated skin is a very good delivery system from some stuff i have seen.
hh

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Harold

I may even buy the lotion and apply it a few hours before bed...

ChrisJ

Reaction score
tgates209 said:
I also found this.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum ... nswer.html

Seems to me that these products tend to work better for those who start earlier (younger).

"Your implication that the shampoo works better because of absorbing into a wet scalp, although on its face it may appear valid, does not hold true, since the study subjects all applied the cream immediately after shampooing, thus onto a WET SCALP,"

"The subjects applied topical 2% KCZ lotion (Nizoral®) almost every day during or immediately after hair washing with their own unmedicated shampoos."

So is it better to use Nizoral cream 2% instead of the shampoo??

Jake_89

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to use 2% Shampoo with the lotion my skull has proved enough that it can handle 10 minute applications of nizoral each night without a single problem. Lotion I will start with 3x a week and see how practical it is and the effects.

Anyone know where to get good generic nizoral and nizoral lotion online, my local pharma is killing me haha

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
can someone show me this socalled nizoral "lotion" that they used in the study?

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
chrome said:
From the official Nizoral website, at the bottom of the page in fine print (courtesy of "benji"):

http://www.nizoral.com/story/index.jhtml

Following a single application of ketoconazole shampoo, ketoconazole persists at therapeutic concentrations for 7 days in the epidermal layers. In addition, substantial pityrosporal inhibitory doses of ketoconazole were detected on the hair for several days after use of the shampoo, the mean level at 72 h was 11.6 µ mg.

Yes, but Ketoconazole has hair growing properties outside of its antifungal properties, which is the whole point of this thread...

The real question is: Are the therapeutic concentrations required for its stimulant effects detectable after 7 days??

I use the 2% every 3 days just to be safe.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
I think higher concentrations are needed than the amount that remains in your scalp for 7 days, otherwise we would see alot more people getting results like this, for a topical that is not minoxidil these are amazing results.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
can someone show me this socalled nizoral "lotion" that they used in the study?

Not sure it's the same as the study by I order 2% nizoral cream from
unitedpharm.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not to be a killjoy but note also in that study three of the men i.e. the other 50% of those tested showed no change whatsoever..

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Nashville Hairline said:
Not to be a killjoy but note also in that study three of the men i.e. the other 50% of those tested showed no change whatsoever..

But did the others maintain the hair they had? How far progressed was their hair loss?

Great regrowth on 2/5 and maintaining the remaining 3 would be damn impressive.

tricospanish

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first message. I first want to say that my English is not very good, so I apologize if I make any impropriety.

I use to participate actively in a Spanish forum and there we talk about topical ketoconazole.

We have a doubt on the study of the Japanese. We understand that in this study they used topical ketoconazole but not certainly know whether it was a cream or lotion or other alcoholic product containing ketoconazole. Because I think that "Nizoral" only sells two products for topical application. One is cream and the other shampoo.

For us the term "lotion" means a liquid that is applied to the scalp and is not equivalent to a cream. Is the same for you a lotion and a cream?

Do you know if the Japanese study used "nizoral cream" or a lotion of ketoconazole?

Thank you very much

abcdefg

Reaction score
Does this mean you need to use nizoral 2% for this benefit instead of 1% or did they not bother studying that amount? I do not have a prescription for 2% even though its funny a shampoo needs a prescription.

tricospanish

Reaction score
Here they sell shampoo with ketoconazol 2% without prescription

My question is that if you know if in the Japanese study they used "nizoral cream" or a lotion of ketoconazole