Study: Ketoconazole is a STIMULANT.........

michael barry

Reaction score
Topical application of ketoconazole stimulates hair growth in C3H/HeN mice.Jiang J, Tsuboi R, Kojima Y, Ogawa H.
Department of Dermatology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan.

Ketoconazole (KCZ) is an imidazole anti-fungal agent that is also effective in topical applications for treating seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. Recently, topical use of 2% KCZ shampoo has been reported to have had a clinically therapeutic effect on androgenetic alopecia. The present study was conducted with the purpose of quantitatively examining the stimulatory effect of KCZ on hair growth in a mouse model. Coat hairs on the dorsal skin of seven week-old male C3H/HeN mice were gently clipped, and either 2% KCZ solution in 95% ethanol or a vehicle solution was topically applied once daily for three weeks. The clipped area was photographed, and the ratio of re-grown coat area was then calculated. The results demonstrated that 2% KCZ had a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect compared with the vehicle group (p<0.01, n=10). Repeated experiments showed similar effects, confirming the efficacy of KCZ as a hair growth stimulant. Although the therapeutic mechanism of topical KCZ for hair growth is unclear, our results suggest that topical applications of the substance are useful for treating seborrheic dermatitis accompanied by hair regression or male pattern hair loss.

I washed a wrist about every third day with nizoral a year or so ago, and left the suds in for a couple of minutes. At three months the hair on that wrist was longer and darker than the other wrist. It stimulated growth there, much to my suprise. We know that sebaceous glands get smaller (about 20%) with nizoral usage via another study and that sebum secretions decline, but this drug does something else that acts as a stimulant. It affects certain prostaglandins, inhibits malezzia fufur, and who knows what else. Nizoral is something that anybody can add to their "regimine".

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to think that Nizoral is underestimated. It should be in everyones regime and i could say it is almost as important as finas and minoxidil!

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would say nizoral is overrated. Lots of studies have found things to be beneficial. Saw palmetto, green tea, and numerous other things have studies pointing both ways but the jury is out on the final verdict. Nizoral is a little thing to add that could help not a big gun that actually does the real work.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Go Nizo!

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
I would say nizoral is overrated. Lots of studies have found things to be beneficial. Saw palmetto, green tea, and numerous other things have studies pointing both ways but the jury is out on the final verdict. Nizoral is a little thing to add that could help not a big gun that actually does the real work.

Disagree. Lots of studies have shown that things might be beneficial in theory ie . this is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, this is a weak antiandrogen, this stimulates hair growth in mice/in vitro etc. Ketoconazole has studies that show it is effective at stopping hair loss in use a few times a week as a shampoo in balding men. While I always appreciate hearing about something that might work for us that is a big difference at the end of the day and there are very few products that have been shown to be significantly helpful in balding male scalp. And then there is that Japanese study where it was used daily with some quite impressive regrowth captured in the pictures. Its cheap, easily available and it helps.
hh

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Topical application of ketoconazole stimulates hair growth in C3H/HeN mice.Jiang J, Tsuboi R, Kojima Y, Ogawa H.
Department of Dermatology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan.

Ketoconazole (KCZ) is an imidazole anti-fungal agent that is also effective in topical applications for treating seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. Recently, topical use of 2% KCZ shampoo has been reported to have had a clinically therapeutic effect on androgenetic alopecia. The present study was conducted with the purpose of quantitatively examining the stimulatory effect of KCZ on hair growth in a mouse model. Coat hairs on the dorsal skin of seven week-old male C3H/HeN mice were gently clipped, and either 2% KCZ solution in 95% ethanol or a vehicle solution was topically applied once daily for three weeks. The clipped area was photographed, and the ratio of re-grown coat area was then calculated. The results demonstrated that 2% KCZ had a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect compared with the vehicle group (p<0.01, n=10). Repeated experiments showed similar effects, confirming the efficacy of KCZ as a hair growth stimulant. Although the therapeutic mechanism of topical KCZ for hair growth is unclear, our results suggest that topical applications of the substance are useful for treating seborrheic dermatitis accompanied by hair regression or male pattern hair loss.

I washed a wrist about every third day with nizoral a year or so ago, and left the suds in for a couple of minutes. At three months the hair on that wrist was longer and darker than the other wrist. It stimulated growth there, much to my suprise. We know that sebaceous glands get smaller (about 20%) with nizoral usage via another study and that sebum secretions decline, but this drug does something else that acts as a stimulant. It affects certain prostaglandins, inhibits malezzia fufur, and who knows what else. Nizoral is something that anybody can add to their "regimine".

michael barry, I love you man :sobbing:

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
tgates209 said:

Yep thats the Japanese study. Its a bit of a mystery exactly why keto shampoo works: ketoconazole inhibits the formation of testosterone, was found to be an antiandrogen of some degree in that Japanese study and as MB points out has been found in at least one study to be a hair growth stimulant (would love to read the full version of that study but I do not have access to that journal). In trials it has been shown to reduce sebum output, shrink sebaceous glands, increase both the diameter and the proportion of hairs in anagen and decrease hair shedding. Interestingly at least one study showed that keto shampoo did not increase diameter or proportion of hairs in anagen for those who were not suffering from androgenetic alopecia.

Strangely piroctine olamine (despite having no antiandrogenic properties that I know of) shampoos have been shown to have some of the same attributes though they have not been specifically tested in men with androgenetic alopecia. Given what we know it seems, as the Japanese researchers note, that ketoconazole works both through androgen dependent and androgen independent means.

Seems to me that these products tend to work better for those who start earlier (younger).

That seems to be the case for every hair loss treatment. Its too difficult to know whether it is age per se or the amount of time between commencement of hairloss and treatment that is the important factor. It could well be the latter - there is a study that looked at a pair of identical twins who were using minoxidil and finasteride with the same results. One took a break for 6/12 months while the other did not. When the other one started again he never caught up to the twin even after a long period of time. Thats not really definitive or anything (actually the more I thinkabout it it is almost irrelevant to this particular point though it is interesting :)) but it seems that male pattern baldness involves "damage" to follicles and whether it is the regenerative capabilities of youth or the resilience of follcles that have not been "damaged" for as long as others I suspect it is the latter.
hh

chrome

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the PDF of the Japanese ketoconazole 2% lotion study (dated May 06) that got everyone excited .

It includes a few before/after pics.

PIIS0923181106002490.gr1.lrg.jpg

A 23-year-old Japanese man who used 2% ketoconazole (KCZ) lotion during shampooing everyday. Six months
later, hair regrowth was attained (b) in comparison with the pre-treatment condition (a). Suspension of use for 3 months,
however, caused recurrent hair loss (c). Renewed use of KCZ induced renewed growth of vertex hair (d).

A 25-year-old Japanese man with Androgenetic Alopecia (e) applied 2% KCZ lotion immediately after shampooing everyday. Ten months later, hair regrowth was apparent (f).
A 41-year-old male showed a slight increase in vertex hair growth after 1 year.
Other three of the men, 31, 38 and 51 years old did not show significant improvement

The PDF is here:

Reversal of androgenetic alopecia by topical ketoconzole: Relevance of antiandrogenic activity
Japan, 24 May 2006

http://home.arcor.de/gekkehenk/HW/K...e - Relevance of anti-androgenic activity.pdf

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
well.... i use it every other day and i let it soak in sometimes for up to 1 hour before washing it out....

best shampoo ive ever used!!!

gazza2208

Reaction score
That Ketoconazole is a stimulant isn´t new news. There was a study long long ago that compared its stimulant strength to that of Minoxidil 2%.

stub here:

Ketoconazole shampoo: effect of long-term use in androgenic alopecia.

Pierard-Franchimont C, De Doncker P, Cauwenbergh G, Pierard GE.

Department of Dermatopathology, University of Liege, Belgium.

BACKGROUND: The pathogenesis of androgenic alopecia is not fully understood. A microbial-driven inflammatory reaction abutting on the hair follicles might participate in the hair status anomaly. OBJECTIVE: The aim of our study was to determine if ketoconazole (KCZ) which is active against the scalp microflora and shows some intrinsic anti-inflammatory activity might improve alopecia. METHOD: The effect of 2% KCZ shampoo was compared to that of an unmedicated shampoo used in combination with or without 2% minoxidil therapy. RESULTS: Hair density and size and proportion of anagen follicles were improved almost similarly by both KCZ and minoxidil regimens. The sebum casual level appeared to be decreased by KCZ. CONCLUSION: Comparative data suggest that there may be a significant action of KCZ upon the course of androgenic alopecia and that Malassezia spp. may play a role in the inflammatory reaction. The clinical significance of the results awaits further controlled study in a larger group of subjects.

powersam

Reaction score
well i've been using the 2% 'lotion' for quite a while now and i'm doing ok. i wash my hair once a week first using t-gel plus and then a 2% Ketoconazole shampoo.

chrome

Established Member
Reaction score
From the official Nizoral website, at the bottom of the page in fine print (courtesy of "benji"):

http://www.nizoral.com/story/index.jhtml

Following a single application of ketoconazole shampoo, ketoconazole persists at therapeutic concentrations for 7 days in the epidermal layers. In addition, substantial pityrosporal inhibitory doses of ketoconazole were detected on the hair for several days after use of the shampoo, the mean level at 72 h was 11.6 µ mg.

Reference: Pierard GE, Arrese JE, Pierard-Franchimont C, et al: Prolonged effects of antidandruff shampoos-time to recurrence of Malassezia ovalis colonization of skin. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 1997;19:111-117.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
hmmm i only use nizoral every 3 days or so... does this mean I should use it everyday?

i take finasteride once a day & use minoxidil twice a day.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
That Ketoconazole is a stimulant isn´t new news. There was a study long long ago that compared its stimulant strength to that of Minoxidil 2%.

While we knew it helped prevent hair loss we didn't know how and we didn't know that it seems to have some hair stimulating properties seemingly unrelated to any antiandrogenic mechanism. You wouldn't say that finasteride is a stimulant for example (though you would say that minoxidil is a stimulant). That study that mb posted was the first suggestion that keto might work in a manner analogous to minoxidil and not just at a similar level of efficacy.

chrome said:
From the official Nizoral website, at the bottom of the page in fine print (courtesy of "benji"):

http://www.nizoral.com/story/index.jhtml

Following a single application of ketoconazole shampoo, ketoconazole persists at therapeutic concentrations for 7 days in the epidermal layers. In addition, substantial pityrosporal inhibitory doses of ketoconazole were detected on the hair for several days after use of the shampoo, the mean level at 72 h was 11.6 µ mg.

Reference: Pierard GE, Arrese JE, Pierard-Franchimont C, et al: Prolonged effects of antidandruff shampoos-time to recurrence of Malassezia ovalis colonization of skin. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 1997;19:111-117.

OK that was interesting - never seen that before (btw benji at hairsite is of course our own michael barry).
I wish they went into more detail about their methodology and I would love to see someone attempt to measure serum levels after use as shampoo but oh well.

read the post above yours

Of course its not that simple however when you are talking about hairloss. Just as while some evidence suggests that 0.2mg of finasteride every second day is as effective as 5mg every day isnt gonna stop most people from taking 1-1.25mg every day we dont know enough about whether nizoral every day is more effective than every few days but it almost certainly is.
hh

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
harold said:
I wish they went into more detail about their methodology and I would love to see someone attempt to measure serum levels after use as shampoo but oh well.

That's already been done. Someone on HLH posted what was apparently an early study of Nizoral, showing that serum levels of keto were virtually undetectable even with heavy use.

harold said:
Just as while some evidence suggests that 0.2mg of finasteride every second day is as effective as 5mg every day isnt gonna stop most people from taking 1-1.25mg every day...

There is no evidence suggesting that it's AS effective, just that it's NEARLY as effective. To avoid confusion, I think we should always speak with precision when discussing these issues.

messm0rph

Reaction score
Bryan/Others please help me out

Nizoral 1 or 2% makes my hair so dry and fluffy. I have curly hair and I have been trying to wash it once a week with Nizoral 2% but how the hair looks for a few days after is a joke.

two questions guys

1. Is it ok to apply just once a week. I am reading mixed reports or should it be applied more often.

2. Is there away to get it in a fluid form so I can apply it like minoxidil directly to the scalp and miss the hair then wash of?