Stock Levels...and Custom Orders... Check With Your Vendor!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am paying £30 more per piece compared to previously with a 10-week wait.

Its only probably going to rise (in terms of price and wait) now production has moved back to China

Many suppliers are quoting 3 to 5 months or no production so shop around.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do we expect prices to fall eventually?

Also grincher, can you please pm me your supplier? 10 week wait is fine for me.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do we expect prices to fall eventually?

Also grincher, can you please pm me your supplier? 10 week wait is fine for me.

Since the knotting was done in N. Korea, and there is no indication of the border opening up anytime in the near future, the answer is no.

Given the inability of the Chinese to work in anything that remotely resembles an Agile environment, I expect the prices to keep on rising. I am thinking that maybe, some of the other companies that operate in other countries in Asia will start to expand production. They are also affected by COVID-19, as well.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes sense. The company that I ordered a hair system from told me that they are opening a new factory and recruiting workers to begin filling up their backlog of orders. The prices advertised on their websites have rose approximately 20-30$. My new limit for purchasing hair systems is now around 300$ as opposed to being 200$ prior. No choice but to go fully DIY cause salon prices might as well be exorbitant.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been keeping track of this topic, and have been asking my salon if we're good on getting my custom systems - and I get the company online. Well it came home to roost this week. They 'upgraded' me to a system they think I would like better. This was code for we don't have what we said we have. So lesson here guys, if you are using a salon, make sure they have them. If they don't find out what the secondary choice is, or be prepared to reuse your spare system.

I now have a UTS unit (my first), and I am not terribly satisfied with it. But a quick re-reading of this string brings me back to reality - and I just have to have patience and accept the current climate. I'm between jobs at the moment - and maybe it's time to rethink coming off a system till the market is less volatile.

Even though I am not getting my custom unit - I still have options - I just have to decide what I am at peace with.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been keeping track of this topic, and have been asking my salon if we're good on getting my custom systems - and I get the company online. Well it came home to roost this week. They 'upgraded' me to a system they think I would like better. This was code for we don't have what we said we have. So lesson here guys, if you are using a salon, make sure they have them. If they don't find out what the secondary choice is, or be prepared to reuse your spare system.

I now have a UTS unit (my first), and I am not terribly satisfied with it. But a quick re-reading of this string brings me back to reality - and I just have to have patience and accept the current climate. I'm between jobs at the moment - and maybe it's time to rethink coming off a system till the market is less volatile.

Even though I am not getting my custom unit - I still have options - I just have to decide what I am at peace with.

I'm more than happy with purchasing stock units, it's just that I can't seem to find any companies that have my color (Jet black-natural black). I've been doing everything DIY so I don't have to rely on the bargaining nature of saloons. Do you think stocks will get resupplied by January? I'd like to have a new look for 2021 at least.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm more than happy with purchasing stock units, it's just that I can't seem to find any companies that have my color (Jet black-natural black). I've been doing everything DIY so I don't have to rely on the bargaining nature of saloons. Do you think stocks will get resupplied by January? I'd like to have a new look for 2021 at least.

Is your color #1A or #1B?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been having problems with the UK company I purchase my hair systems from. Previously, things were going fine but I was supposed to get my first custom system from them in August, then every 4 months after that. I have not received the custom system yet, and was told in August that there would be delays. I emailed them this week to find out an update, but I have heard nothing back.

I've had my current stock system for 3 months now, but thanks to me looking after it, using spray in conditioner/UV protector as well as Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner, it is still almost as good as new and I expect to get at least another 3 months out of it.

Still, I am going to have to schedule a phone call with the hair system company in the near future to find out what's happening, as I pay them a monthly fee for my systems (simply so I can spread the cost - it doesn't actually cost me any extra).

I went to their website just now and saw the following message:

COVID-19: Due to the pandemic, regretfully our supply chain has been disrupted, so many of our stock systems are currently unavailable. We do have some stock, but numbers are limited. Therefore, please do get in touch prior to ordering and we will check availability for you. If your chosen product is not available, we may be able to recommend a substitution. If this is not an option, our custom-made production team are still fully operational, so we can make you a bespoke order for the same price as a stock. With our rush service, we can guarantee delivery of a custom order within 3-4 weeks. Please contact us for further details.

It is interesting to note that they say they can make a custom system within 3 - 4 weeks, for the same price as their stock units. That is some good news, if they can do what they claim. The quality of their systems is excellent, and the price is very reasonable, but their customer service has been terrible recently.

But in summary, we all need to prepare for this and try and get a couple of backup systems asap if you don't have any already. Needless to say, we should all look after our systems as much as possible too. There would be nothing worse than not having a hair system and not being able to get hold of one!!

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is your color #1A or #1B?

1B 100% does not work for me. It's too brown. Jet black is slightly dark for me, so I have to wash it multiple times and expose it to the sun before it gets to a good shade that I can wear. I've seen some companies advertise 1C as natural black.

So far, I'm just waiting for 1 Jet Black to show up in stock.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1B 100% does not work for me. It's too brown. Jet black is slightly dark for me, so I have to wash it multiple times and expose it to the sun before it gets to a good shade that I can wear. I've seen some companies advertise 1C as natural black.

So far, I'm just waiting for 1 Jet Black to show up in stock.

Hi Johnston, not sure if you are familiar with 11b natural black, but this supplier has it, on top of 1 and 1b
https://www.superhairpieces.com/

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been having problems with the UK company I purchase my hair systems from. Previously, things were going fine but I was supposed to get my first custom system from them in August, then every 4 months after that. I have not received the custom system yet, and was told in August that there would be delays. I emailed them this week to find out an update, but I have heard nothing back.

I've had my current stock system for 3 months now, but thanks to me looking after it, using spray in conditioner/UV protector as well as Back2Natural colour depositing conditioner, it is still almost as good as new and I expect to get at least another 3 months out of it.

Still, I am going to have to schedule a phone call with the hair system company in the near future to find out what's happening, as I pay them a monthly fee for my systems (simply so I can spread the cost - it doesn't actually cost me any extra).

I went to their website just now and saw the following message:

COVID-19: Due to the pandemic, regretfully our supply chain has been disrupted, so many of our stock systems are currently unavailable. We do have some stock, but numbers are limited. Therefore, please do get in touch prior to ordering and we will check availability for you. If your chosen product is not available, we may be able to recommend a substitution. If this is not an option, our custom-made production team are still fully operational, so we can make you a bespoke order for the same price as a stock. With our rush service, we can guarantee delivery of a custom order within 3-4 weeks. Please contact us for further details.

It is interesting to note that they say they can make a custom system within 3 - 4 weeks, for the same price as their stock units. That is some good news, if they can do what they claim. The quality of their systems is excellent, and the price is very reasonable, but their customer service has been terrible recently.

But in summary, we all need to prepare for this and try and get a couple of backup systems asap if you don't have any already. Needless to say, we should all look after our systems as much as possible too. There would be nothing worse than not having a hair system and not being able to get hold of one!!

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about counting on a 3-4 week delivery time on custom systems. In pre-Covid times, my quickest factory would do it in 4-6, and that does NOT include time to recieve template!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
3-4 weeks for a custom system sounds like a RTW piece they have altered and palmed off as "custom".

Proper custom/bespoke is made from scratch on your template/measurements and pre covid that was 6-8 weeks. In today's world that is unlikely to be under 10-weeks.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I've worn 2 identical systems now from July. I have a maximum of 9 months left, probably less before going bald again. I can feel the old familiar anxiety of losing my hair again :(. My company is telling me 4 months production time. I hope they are not lying.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it does seem a bit suspicious that they claim they can make a custom within 3 - 4 weeks. If it's a RTW piece, then they're likely using existing stock systems and modifying them to make them 'custom'. However, I ordered 10 inch hair for my custom so they would not be able to use a modified stock system since these generally have a maximum length of 6 inches.

Anyway I received a reply from the company saying they are experiencing delays and that my custom has been moved to a new production team and will now be delivered at the end of October:

'So sorry for the late reply on your message below. Yes, it has been a little challenging over the last few months and our supply chain has been cut off, so we’ve been busy setting up a new production team, to ensure continuity of service. Your custom order has been moved over to this new team and it should be ready at the end of Oct. Would that be ok for you? So sorry for the delay.

Once we deliver this order, we will immediately start on your next order, ensuring that we catch up on the schedule'

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Johnston, not sure if you are familiar with 11b natural black, but this supplier has it, on top of 1 and 1b
https://www.superhairpieces.com/

Hey man, thanks for this website. I've been looking everywhere for a color that isn't as dark as 1 and isn't as brown as 1b. I think I may have found it. Can you comment of the quality and longevity of hair pieces from this company, and how long have you been a customer?

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've got no idea what to do now. I need to arrange a new system or two. Not because of a a desperate need but before desperation sets in.

If I got delivery by June I'd be happy.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does all human hair for systems come from North Korea, then, and is that the full source of the problem? I know hair systems are made in China, but I also thought the hair came from there too.

From what I'm reading in the news, China has Coronavirus under control, there haven't been that many new cases compared to other countries, and life is getting back to normal there. So if most hair system factories are based in China, you'd logically think manufacturing would be running smoothly too. The pandemic was worse there a few months back, yet these companies were still able to fulfil orders then.

But like you say, if it's an issue importing human hair, then I see the problem. Are they now sourcing it from elsewhere or just getting limited amounts from North Korea?

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does all human hair for systems come from North Korea, then, and is that the full source of the problem? I know hair systems are made in China, but I also thought the hair came from there too.

From what I'm reading in the news, China has Coronavirus under control, there haven't been that many new cases compared to other countries, and life is getting back to normal there. So if most hair system factories are based in China, you'd logically think manufacturing would be running smoothly too. The pandemic was worse there a few months back, yet these companies were still able to fulfil orders then.

But like you say, if it's an issue importing human hair, then I see the problem. Are they now sourcing it from elsewhere or just getting limited amounts from North Korea?

From my understanding, most of the hair knotting was done in NK due to cheap labor. Now that their border is closed, China has to rehire and train new works for knotting. I think they have plenty of hair (some coming from not so humane places), but that's not the discussion for now.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just like as with many countries, if you can lower costs of production (and labour being a high amount of overall costs) the Chinese moved knotting to North Korea.

Supposedly Indian and European hair is imported and they may face restrictions; they certainly face additional taxes.

At the end of the day, you are trusting the Chinese to use the hair they are saying they are using.

Lets not get into plughole, comb or animal hair at this stage