Stock Levels...and Custom Orders... Check With Your Vendor!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I just want to update you all on what I am seeing in the market.

Stock systems, especially in certain colors (#1B) are either very low, or out completely at MOST major suppliers.

I suggest that if you have the opportunity to get a backup unit or two from your supplier... DO IT NOW!!!

If you normally use custom systems, and your supplier is still able to order, DO IT NOW!

The manufacturers who can do custom are way way way backed up with orders.

Delivery times are now double, triple or longer.

Why is this?

1. The border with N. Korea has opened up, and anything that was in process has already been released. The issue is that the N. Korean government has not allowed the import of human hair.

2. The manufacturers in China are desperately trying to hire back the knotters that they have let go in the past, and also find new ones.

Price! You should expect a significant increase in price as the labor costs to make a system will go up as their labor costs are going up.

Manufacturers outside of China are also feeling the pressure, my delivery times have now doubled on systems from Vietnam.

Don't get caught without hair!!! Some companies are showing 0 stock in certain colors. Some companies are putting "contact us" before placing an order.

Just because a company's website shows a color in stock doesn't mean it is indeed in stock.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Who at the moment is able to do custom units? Noone? I've been using Northwestlace and would really like to continue with them.

I'm really worried about moving from custom to stock. Should I use my old system as a template and cut the stock system?

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who at the moment is able to do custom units? Noone? I've been using Northwestlace and would really like to continue with them.

I'm really worried about moving from custom to stock. Should I use my old system as a template and cut the stock system?

Some companies are doing custom, with delays, we are. You are looking at 12-14 weeks right now.

It all depends on why you ordered custom in the first place? In your case it's not color, it's probably shape.

You may not get the fit you need from a stock unit. Remember it's not just the size, it's the shape.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My current vendor, a UK based company, is still doing custom and stock systems. Obviously their factory is in China, so that's going to be a factor in turnaround times for custom systems. My first custom order was due for July, but now looks like it will arrive later than expected.

As for stock systems, I had to go one step lighter with my current stock system as the company didn't have the #5 colour in stock, so they sent me a #6 instead. I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest, and in some ways I slightly prefer the new colour. However it may be more of an issue for other wearers, so yes this post is quite true.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Some companies are doing custom, with delays, we are. You are looking at 12-14 weeks right now.

It all depends on why you ordered custom in the first place? In your case it's not color, it's probably shape.

You may not get the fit you need from a stock unit. Remember it's not just the size, it's the shape.
That's not too bad. I could easily manage that. If I send you the same specs I have sent to Eric of Northwestlace, can you make me duplicate systems?

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder when we will be able to actually get this part back to normal.

It looks like my salon is reopening, so I have to go and get a haircut and maybe cut in a spare unit.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My supplier is based in the USA, but he gets them from China. I have pieces I ordered in Jan. that are not here yet, nor do I expect them to be here any time soon. I did receive a piece back I sent to have hair added, but it was horribly done. Must have been someone new maybe? The density was about double and the hair was straight and much darker than normal.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I decided to get 2 new systems a month ago for this reason. My other ones are still in great shape, but I like to always be prepared.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My supplier has returned to full domestic production and is taking new orders
They are quoting 8 weeks, but expect that to get extended if demand surges.

As Bald Bearded says, prices have risen for the higher labour costs and I am paying more per piece
However, that ok as I'm ordering 3 new pieces for insurance against future problems.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My supplier has returned to full domestic production and is taking new orders
They are quoting 8 weeks, but expect that to get extended if demand surges.

As Bald Bearded says, prices have risen for the higher labour costs and I am paying more per piece
However, that ok as I'm ordering 3 new pieces for insurance against future problems.

Not happy with the way the factories are handling this. They screw up by not having a good (or any) back-up plan, and then wait until there is no inventory, and then jacking up the prices.

We are eating some of the difference... and not passing it all on to our customers.

BTW where was the discount when they moved knotting to N. Korea?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was told that the Chinese factories were not honest regarding any problem until mid May when March units were due to be returned. Until then they were actively encouraging new orders.

The Chinese factories have been less than open and now they will be rewarded on top of the annual price increases. A point Bald Beard makes. I am coughing up an extra charge.

It does leave a sour taste, but is there a decent supplier/factory that isn't connected to China - that's the question.

I recall a few years ago, a chap on a different forum that had some success making his own. Its something I have considered, which is only practical for wearers not suppliers.

Last edited:

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was told that the Chinese factories were not honest regarding any problem until mid May when March units were due to be returned. Until then they were actively encouraging new orders.

The Chinese factories have been less than open and now they will be rewarded on top of the annual price increases. That much I agree with. I am coughing up an extra charge.

It does leave a sour taste, but is there a decent supplier/factory that isn't connected to China - that's the question.

I recall a few years ago, a chap on a different forum that had some success making his own. Its something I have considered, which is only practical for wearers not suppliers.
I thought I had read, on here actually, that many companies are not even using China anymore. I forget where they are being made now. My supplier also gets all units from China. I just received word that some units I ordered in Feb will be here in 4-6 weeks. I am glad I have some put away; I always had more on hand than needed. I did not see any reason not too, especially when my supplier gives 20 percent off 1 month a year, usually in January.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Reactions: TEG

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought I had read, on here actually, that many companies are not even using China anymore. I forget where they are being made now. My supplier also gets all units from China. I just received word that some units I ordered in Feb will be here in 4-6 weeks. I am glad I have some put away; I always had more on hand than needed. I did not see any reason not too, especially when my supplier gives 20 percent off 1 month a year, usually in January.

North Korea, all of the large suppliers in China switched to North Korea for knotting. Even if they say it was "from China", it was still being knotted in N. Korea.

Now... they are being knotted in China, again.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I go through one system every 8 or 9 months and have a supply into 2022.

I am starting to think a return of covid a good reason to top up on a few more, while the ethics of Chinese production are making me question where and how my pieces are produced

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/china-hair-uyghur-cpb-trnd/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/01/china-muslim-labor-camps-uighur-hair-products

Don't assume the N.Korean knotted pieces were done under much better conditions.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
checked with my vendor yesterday they raised the price by 50$ a piece for stock units 65$ for custom...that's insane

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
checked with my vendor yesterday they raised the price by 50$ a piece for stock units 65$ for custom...that's insane

1. It is happening across the board, and $65 additional for custom is cheap.. I am paying more.

2. The companies are having to re-tool, and re-hire Chinese workers at a much higher rate.

At least it's not just your vendor. It's everyone.

Considering it' a worldwide pandemic... at last we can get systems.

adambr99

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi all, im new here and finally was able to join.

just curious, has there been any changes sine baldbearded's last update?

i really appreciate baldbearded's updates, hes sharing some of the most comprehensive updates i have seen from anyone/manufacturers.

like are things starting to come back online and product being shipped or is it all still turmoils?

thanks for your time everyone.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Adam,

Stock supplies are beginning to ramp up, but prices are skyrocketing. My cost for most stock French Lace has doubled in some cases.

The consumer is going to start to feel it.

No choice.