Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've browsed this forum for years and had an account awhile ago, and it always amazes me how people think companies should just announce any and all progress they make. They don't owe us anything if they're not selling a product yet. All announcements like this do is cause people to go into a frenzy and harass them...and for startups, risks people trying to steal IP. Uber, DoorDash etc didn't go around announcing everything they were going to do - they developed, got funding in private, and moved forward. Stemson is already raising a lot of money so they don't need press for that at the moment.

It'll be years before Stemson shows us anything we should get really excited about - there's absolutely no reason for them to hide progress, but there's also no reason to do it years early when all people will do is want to know when treatments will be available. They want to launch a service and make plenty of money and I'm sure they'll announce things when it makes sense.
I agree. Stemson can say whatever they want to say, whenever they want to say it. I'm cool with that. But one thing I'm confused about is why Stemson is trying to make entire follicles to implant them into bald scalps instead of just injecting cells into bald scalps.

Last edited:

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Paul Laikind, PhD, Joins Stemson Therapeutics Board of Directors​

Seasoned biotech entrepreneur and CEO will support Stemson’s efforts to develop the first iPSC-derived cell therapy to treat hair loss
April 18, 2022 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Stemson TherapeuticsCorp., a private biotechnology company developing an iPSC-derived autologous cell therapy to regenerate healthy hair follicles, announced today that Paul Laikind, serial entrepreneur and former CEO of cell therapy company ViaCyte, has joined the Stemson Board of Directors. Paul brings significant company building and therapeutics development experience to the Stemson Board.

“We welcome Paul as an important addition to our board of directors,” said Matt Posard, Stemson’s executive chairman of the board. “With more than 35 years of experience founding and leading therapeutics development companies from preclinical to clinical stage development and from start-up through IPO, Paul will provide valuable guidance to accelerate Stemson’s progress.”
“I am delighted and honored to join Stemson’s Board of Directors,” said Paul. “Stemson’s unique combination of novel technologies to bioengineer hair follicles not only has the potential to help millions of people suffering from hair loss, but can more broadly advance the capabilities for cell therapy development across the industry. I look forward to working with the team and supporting their journey.”
Paul Laikind, PhD, was CEO of ViaCyte from 2012 until 2020, where he lead the development of the first stem cell-derived cell therapies designed to replace pancreatic beta cells for the treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. Paul led the company from the preclinical stage through the introduction of two product candidates into clinical trials before retiring at the end of 2020. A third product that Viacyte developed in collaboration with CRISPR Tx recently also entered clinical development.
Dr. Laikind served as Chief Business Officer and Senior Vice President of the Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute from 2009 – 2011, focusing on enhancing the translational capabilities of the institute. From 1999 - 2009, Paul was cofounder and CEO of Metabasis Therapeutics, which concentrated on therapeutics development for metabolic and liver diseases. He took Metabasis from founding through IPO, and from preclinical to clinical stage development, with five products in the clinic. From 1986 – 1999, Paul cofounded and served as Vice President of Corporate Development at Gensia Pharmaceuticals where they developed small molecule therapies for the treatment of cardiovascular, neurological and inflammatory diseases. During that time, he cofounded and served as an advisor to Viagene from 1988 – 1994, the first commercially focused gene therapy company developing proprietary gene delivery technology to treat HIV, cancer and inherited disorders. Gensia, Viagene and Metabasis each completed successful initial public offerings and were eventually acquired for combined proceeds of over $3.5 billion.
Throughout his career, Dr. Laikind has played a leadership role in the evolving biotechnology industry. He serves or has served on the board of industry organizations including BIO, BIOCOM, CONNECT, and Alliance for Regenerative Medicine.
Paul earned his PhD in Biochemistry from the University of California, San Diego, and is a veteran of the US Navy.
“We are very lucky to have Paul join us. The next stage of Stemson’s development is to advance our first product toward human clinical trials,” stated Geoff Hamilton, cofounder and CEO of Stemson Therapeutics. “Paul’s tremendous business leadership experience and industry relationships, as well as his involvement developing similar technologies to Stemson’s while at ViaCyte, will help us guide the company toward that goal.

the truth is as you described, we mark sh*t as individuals for anyone
Turns out after speaking to my dad yesterday that he owns a lot of stock in Abbvie, one of the companies that is funding Stemson. If I make mention of this maybe I could get somewhere in the way of finding answers? I know Geoff will talk with important individuals but no doubt there is confidential information they don't want out there about things they're doing. Spencer Kobren (The Bald Truth) makes mention of it not to spill the beans about things Geoff told him in confidence.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Turns out after speaking to my dad yesterday that he owns a lot of stock in Abbvie, one of the companies that is funding Stemson. If I make mention of this maybe I could get somewhere in the way of finding answers? I know Geoff will talk with important individuals but no doubt there is confidential information they don't want out there about things they're doing. Spencer Kobren (The Bald Truth) makes mention of it not to spill the beans about things Geoff told him in confidence.

You'd rather see a counselor mate

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You'd rather see a counselor mate
Posters think they're clever & original when they attack the mental health of another poster BUT the sh!t happens in literally every thread sooner or later when one poster disagrees with another poster. It's the most unoriginal & dullard insult to be found at virtually every website where people are allowed to post. It's THE boring go-to default insult when someone can't think of a smart insult. It's also got bigotry built into it because the person using this kind of insult is insulting people with mental health problems and implying that people with psychological problems never have anything significant to add to a discussion and they should be ignored 100% of the time. And the person using the mental health insult is often gaslighting the poster he's insulting because the person he's insulting often has a valid point.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Posters think they're clever & original when they attack the mental health of another poster BUT the sh!t happens in literally every thread sooner or later if one poster disagrees with another poster. It's the most unoriginal & dullard insult to be found at virtually every website where people are allowed to post. It's THE boring go-to default insult when someone can't think of a smart insult. It's also got bigotry built into it because the person using this kind of insult is insulting people with mental health problems and implying that people with psychological problems never have anything significant to add to a discussion and they should be ignored 100% of the time. And the person using the mental health insult is often gaslighting the poster he's insulting because the person he's insulting often has a valid point.
Bro you were literally calling people subhuman in the other thread. Spare us the novel.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Posters think they're clever & original when they attack the mental health of another poster BUT the sh!t happens in literally every thread sooner or later if one poster disagrees with another poster. It's the most unoriginal & dullard insult to be found at virtually every website where people are allowed to post. It's THE boring go-to default insult when someone can't think of a smart insult. It's also got bigotry built into it because the person using this kind of insult is insulting people with mental health problems and implying that people with psychological problems never have anything significant to add to a discussion and they should be ignored 100% of the time. And the person using the mental health insult is often gaslighting the poster he's insulting because the person he's insulting often has a valid point.
Well put. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Gump

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. Stemson can say whatever they want to say, whenever they want to say it, I'm cool with that. But one thing I'm confused about is why Stemson is trying to make entire follicles to implant them into bald scalps instead of just injecting cells into bald scalps.
Last I read/heard in an interview, it had to do with the direction hairs grow. They'll likely implant a scaffold of some sort (like a filament or something) to help direct the hair to grow in a certain direction. Apparently that can be difficult if they just implant the follicle or cells by itself. But I'd bet the follicles aren't fully developed when implanted, which might mean they can pack them closer together? who knows

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last I read/heard in an interview, it had to do with the direction hairs grow. They'll likely implant a scaffold of some sort (like a filament or something) to help direct the hair to grow in a certain direction. Apparently that can be difficult if they just implant the follicle or cells by itself. But I'd bet the follicles aren't fully developed when implanted, which might mean they can pack them closer together? who knows
Yes, this is another important aspect of the solution that I want, that the follicles be packed closely together and survive. The thing is the vascular blood supply needs to be able to support all these newly implanted hairs. This could be a problem for some people where that or the skin has issues being too thick or thin due to the changes from scarring. Some scarring though the scalp looks healthy and pretty normal, such as a lot who have pseudopelade of brocq. The skin seems normal, just depleted of follicles. I thought my condition was this but the professionals told me all it is not. Just androgenetic alopecia with some stress related telogen effluvium.

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro you were literally calling people subhuman in the other thread. Spare us the novel.

You're comparing apples and oranges because you really are subhuman so calling you subhuman is a truthful insult whereas the way everybody calls everybody else crazy is actually gaslighting most of the time and it's such a common insult that it's become boring.

Last edited:

R_gesus

Reaction score
You're comparing apples and oranges because you really are subhuman so calling you subhuman is a truthful insult whereas the way everybody calls each everybody else crazy is actually gaslighting most of the time and it's such a common insult that it's become boring.
Damn bro, you really are mentally ill

R_gesus

Reaction score
Wow! You are mentally ill.
What makes you say that? Am I derailing multiple threads whining about people calling me names, all the while doing the same thing myself? Did I make six off topic posts in a row on a thread displaying unhinged behavior because I got call mentally ill? No. The funny part is you seem to think you got called mentally ill because people disagreed with you, when in fact it was all about the incessant off topic posts, and baseless claim that you ‘know a researcher’ and they told you some stuff. While we are on the topic, why does it bother you so much to be called that. Does it hit a little too close to home?

JohnDoe5

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What makes you say that? Am I derailing multiple threads whining about people calling me names, all the while doing the same thing myself? Did I make six off topic posts in a row on a thread displaying unhinged behavior because I got call mentally ill? No. The funny part is you seem to think you got called mentally ill because people disagreed with you, when in fact it was all about the incessant off topic posts, and baseless claim that you ‘know a researcher’ and they told you some stuff. While we are on the topic, why does it bother you so much to be called that. Does it hit a little too close to home?
Mr. 42 messages, I called you mentally ill because it was senseless (and hostile) for you to knowingly interject yourself into a pointless confrontation that was subsiding. And to that reason, I will now add that you're whining about me making off-topic posts even as you started your argument with me by making an off-topic post, AND now you continue to post off-topic to me. You got upset/triggered when I called you mentally ill and you're trying to continue a senseless/pointless off-topic argument with me because you're triggered. TrialAcc derailed this thread by transferring an argument from a different thread to this thread, but you think I did, which means you can't track obvious basic things going on right in front of you. Lastly, you called me mentally ill for derailing this thread, and yet your very act of starting and continuing this off-topic confrontation with me is what's keeping this thread derailed. So since you're now derailing this thread that means by YOUR OWN MEASURE you're mentally ill.

And now rather than allowing you to further derail this thread, I'm putting you on ignore.

Last edited:

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have very bad news regarding Stemson’s pig trials. I will share it when I will have free time next week.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I have very bad news regarding Stemson’s pig trials. I will share it when I will have free time next week.
Hmm, well, need to ask, how did you get privy to this? Assuming what you're getting at is the case then my suspicions were on the mark.

Whenever I ask nicely to Stemson and get no answers this most likely cannot translate into good news. Realistically, why would they want to hold back on good news? That makes no sense to me. I am unconventional in my way of opinions but I do exercise good logic. I guess my instincts guided me to the proper conclusion. So if the pig trials failed then they could just say so and I would accept that as an answer. To be ignored by everyone at the company, that seems like an agreement was made to keep silent on the matter of bad news. Anyway, Joxy, whenever you have the time to tell us what you found out it will be appreciated. Thank you.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Joxy, why would Stemson release private pig trial info to a guy on the internet before releasing it to anyone else? There's no new info at their site about the pig trials. And if you really had some big news wouldn't you just post it right away, instead of waiting a week to post it? I'm sure you could sum it up in a few minutes and everyone has a few minutes they could use to post a summary of new information, if they really have new information. For example, if the pig trials didn't work then you could have posted that with fewer words than you used to post the above sentence that you did post. And since you're in Europe, why would a guy in Europe get new Stemson pig trial information before anyone else?

Does anyone know if Joxy has any credibility or is he another troll?
It shows Joxy has been here since November, 2014. I think that is a sign of someone who has the right intentions.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys, relax little bit.

I was just relaxing little bit and showing how childish behavior some of you has.

To answer your question. I don’t have neither bad, neither good news from Stemson, neither I know any more info than their official infos on their website.

Stop going off-topic whole the time. If you have any relevant information about Stemson, then share it. If not, then stop going off-topic. Thanks.