Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably not

@Edit: Sorry, it is not from letter.

"...Currently, Stemson’s research and development efforts are focused on developing an optimized solution for human skin structure environment in larger animal models..." (https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ecures-15M-Series-A-Funding-to-Cure-Hair-Loss)

So, they are developing. It does not imply in testing, I think
Why are you splitting hairs (hah)? They are working on growing hair on pigs, it doesn't matter which part of the process they are on. It's all pre-clinical research until they deem it to be completed and get approval to move to humans.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you splitting hairs (hah)? They are working on growing hair on pigs, it doesn't matter which part of the process they are on. It's all pre-clinical research until they deem it to be completed and get approval to move to humans.
Better let them refine the technologies well, I like the robot solution very much, they are moving forward and that's the most important thing

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha, everyone who has hair loss genes are afraid to go bald to the point that the only possible solution is hair cloning.
I'm still young, current at NW3 and stabelized. But I (and I think many other users) really want hair clone to be available in the case that the actual market solutions are not enough to hold a good hair in the future.

Then any less-than-optimistic post from one of the biggest players is worrisome.

And yes, all are at the pre-clinical stage until it comes to humans. But release of the result of tests with pigs soon will be more interesting than others pre-clinical results. Since their skin is more similar to humans than rats.

Last edited:

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha, everyone who has hair loss genes are afraid to go bald to the point that the only possible solution is hair cloning.
I'm still young, current at NW3 and stabelized. But I (and I think many other users) really want hair clone to be available in the case that the actual market solutions are not enough to hold a good hair in the future.

Then any less-than-optimistic post from one of the biggest players is worrisome.

And yes, all are at the pre-clinical stage until it comes to humans. But release of the result of tests with pigs soon will be more interesting than others pre-clinical results. Since their skin is more similar to humans than rats.
somehow I do not see the results from the pig trials this year, they have delays, they developed a skin model and it is not clear whether they have already used it or not, never mind that they have money is developing, it all looks better than Tsuji and organ technologies

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score

The only possible solution is not cloning. Your follicles don't die, they can be brought back even if fully miniaturized so long as it hasn't been a decade or two since they went fully silent and fibrosis hasn't start to set in. A good example of this is MtF trans who get semi-full recoveries.

Cloning should be a back up to be honest, because I think the pathways required to restore a lot of our hair will be trialed quicker then the 5-8 years we're looking at here. Good example of that is BAY (other thread here). BAY could be released in 3-4 years and bring back significant hair to the point where you'd only need cloning to probably reshape that perfect hairline. In the monkeys they trialed it on, it brought back fully "bald" areas to 50-70% of normal density in just 6 months. It's possible it could have gone to 100% but they only did the 6 months of dosing.

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only possible solution is not cloning. Your follicles don't die, they can be brought back even if fully miniaturized so long as it hasn't been a decade or two since they went fully silent and fibrosis hasn't start to set in. A good example of this is MtF trans who get semi-full recoveries.

Cloning should be a back up to be honest, because I think the pathways required to restore a lot of our hair will be trialed quicker then the 5-8 years we're looking at here. Good example of that is BAY (other thread here). BAY could be released in 3-4 years and bring back significant hair to the point where you'd only need cloning to probably reshape that perfect hairline. In the monkeys they trialed it on, it brought back fully "bald" areas to 50-70% of normal density in just 6 months. It's possible it could have gone to 100% but they only did the 6 months of dosing.

Thanks. I'll read the thread later to know what is it.

I typically don't read threads not related to hair clone or Ant DHTs + AR degraders/blockers haha

Shush

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then what would you need cloning for? Get your 2k grafts from your dono and god bless

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
“We don’t know when exactly we’ll get into human clinical trials, but we’ve got a couple of years in front of us to really try to complete the R&D to the point where we have confidence and we’ll just have to see how we progress along that timeline,” Hamilton said. The preclinical work is currently being done in animal models that “can very closely approximate the human skin structure and environment,” the CEO said.”
Where is that quote from? I couldn't find it in their two recent updates.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's an interview with a biotech publication on google. Just check the most recent news tab.

I still think they start human trials in 2022.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's an interview with a biotech publication on google. Just check the most recent news tab.

I still think they start human trials in 2022.
Doesn't his statement kind of imply that they're quite a bit further from human trials than one year?

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't his statement kind of imply that they're quite a bit further from human trials than one year?
I think his statement is a little ambiguous. "to complete the R&D". What do you mean with R&D? If it just refers to pre-clinicals, so yes, we are f***** and human trials won't start next year. (Unfortunately, I think this is the most possible thing he means. Because he said "We don’t know when exactly we’ll get into human clinical trials". I understanded it same as you).

But if "R&D" means to all research stages before the commercialization (including human trials, of course), then is possible to start human trials next year (but again, I think this is not the case).

H

Reaction score
I think his statement is a little ambiguous. "to complete the R&D". What do you mean with R&D? If it just refers to pre-clinicals, so yes, we are f***** and human trials won't start next year. (Unfortunately, I think this is the most possible thing he means. Because he said "We don’t know when exactly we’ll get into human clinical trials". I understanded it same as you).

But if "R&D" means to all research stages before the commercialization (including human trials, of course), then is possible to start human trials next year (but again, I think this is not the case).
Always expect delays...

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It definitely does not sound like human trials are right around the corner like they had implied last year, however to me when he says "a couple of years" it just implies the next year or two (2021/2022) to get themselves positioned for human trials. It sounds to me like they have had setbacks with the quality or longevity of the follicles with pig skin.

I'm not going to try and over analyze and condemn a company for taking the right approach to development of a medical process this complicated. Look at how many companies/people like Tsuji, Histogen or Samumed promise something magical only to fall silent and produce nothing at all of value. I'd rather have a company with prominent and respectable financial backers who allow them to just do their work based on it's merit rather then the need for flashy hype to raise capital.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It definitely does not sound like human trials are right around the corner like they had implied last year, however to me when he says "a couple of years" it just implies the next year or two (2021/2022) to get themselves positioned for human trials. It sounds to me like they have had setbacks with the quality or longevity of the follicles with pig skin.

I'm not going to try and over analyze and condemn a company for taking the right approach to development of a medical process this complicated. Look at how many companies/people like Tsuji, Histogen or Samumed promise something magical only to fall silent and produce nothing at all of value. I'd rather have a company with prominent and respectable financial backers who allow them to just do their work based on it's merit rather then the need for flashy hype to raise capital.
Right, respect to Geoff for being transparent about that. My confidence that they'll deliver a cure is higher than it ever was before even if the timeline has been delayed.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, respect to Geoff for being transparent about that. My confidence that they'll deliver a cure is higher than it ever was before even if the timeline has been delayed.
let them show the results of pre-clinical tests on pigs at the beginning, then they will get some credit of trust, so far they have shown nothing but hairy mouse

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Setback or delay? They sound more like they've realized that it maybe won't be possible at all and could take years instead of starting trials soon.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Setback or delay? They sound more like they've realized that it maybe won't be possible at all and could take years instead of starting trials soon.
And how do you think they got investors ?
from “no progress”?they just carefull

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
here we go:D more information will be in 2022, earlier I would not expect an update from them

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And how do you think they got investors ?
from “no progress”?they just carefull
correct me if I am wrong, but did the previous saviors of the bald people not get money for research and provided us absolutely nothing.....