Steady diet of fish and fruits has worked somewhat

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just finished the workout program p90x and dropped a good 35 lbs along with getting in good shape. I'm not plugging that here but I thought I would mention that my main diet over the three months was fish, fruit, vegetables and eggs. I didn't drink any soda, with the exception of some mixed drinks on Halloween.

At the end of month three I noticed my hair at the crown looked a bit thicker. Now I haven't noticed any significant hair growth but my hair does seem healthier. I wouldn't count on this diet to grow all of my hair back but it seems to have slowed the process down a bit.

I was just wondering if such a diet has been mentioned as working for thicker hair. Pardon my ignorance if this has been mentioned a lot before, as you can see I am new here. I'm doing p90x next year again and was going to up my protein intake for more muscle gain but I have heard this increases hair loss.

Thom

Hoppi

Reaction score
Personally I say if it's working stick to it! I am veering towards the view that male pattern baldness in most is caused by insufficient removal of androgens by the liver, and the liver likes exercise, light foods, and lots of fresh water so that it can detox :)

Don't overdo fat, carbs or even protein too heavily IMO! But it's up to you :)

Also, if you wanna help things further start drinking hot lemon (made with water and freshly squeezed lemons) and (separately ofc!) diluted apple cider vinegar!

Hoppi!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment! I didn't initially start the diet to preserve my hair, I did it for the maximum benefits of the weight loss program but preserving a little was a plus! When I get some more time I would like to look into certain cultures that don't bald as much and what their diets are like...perhaps a connection?

Upon my reviewing of this site I have ordered some Nizoral and a three-month supply of Rogaine and will get the Propecia when I can get to a doctor for the subscription.

have you seen some pretty good results from the hot lemon and diluted apple cider vinegar concoctions? I am open to anything and absolutely determined to get my long mane back that I used to have haha

I am open to anything! (cept piss in my hair haha)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Well, to be honest my problem is that the same drive that made me do all this research into my health, made me work and work and pick apart the health events that led to my hair loss is the same thing that makes me too damn scared to stick to a regimen lol, or at least a regimen that is a bit.. "out there". I am confident in it, and I think I've made so much progress, I just.. I guess I love my hair so much (the core drive behind this) that I get scared every time I see a strand fall, and of course no matter what regimen or approach I choose it's not going to work overnight!

Chances are I'm going to get attacked for this post, as most people on here don't agree with me and will voice that very, very readily, but none of this means I'm necessarily wrong or wrong in my attitude/approach, it just means I'm not perfect, you know?

Sorry for the life story :) Just wanted to be honest!

I also want to get to the bottom of this because, let's say it's correct that liver toxicity is crucial in regulating androgens and keeping one's hair... imagine how many people could benefit from that information? ^^ It makes sense in my situation and if it's true... there could be lots of very hairy, happy people! lol

I'm only about 4 or 5 days into exploring this treatment (so far it's been like putting together a jigsaw puzzle) so I really hope it works!

By the way, what kinds of exercises did/do you do daily?

Sorry again for the in-depth post!

Hoppi :)

Oh in addition, if you believe that this approach is thickening your hair, why not wait a little longer before using the meds/treatments, and see if this continues? Do you have reason to think it won't?

Mjotter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer of lifestyle choices having an effect on hairloss. Having two older brothers and a father with better hairlines than me makes me wonder. I'm also doing my own researches on hair loss and there are many theories that I come up with but it's tough to experiment with them all. I'm surprised a cure for baldness hasn't been discovered yet, I'm certain there will be a fix sometime in our lifetimes(or my lifetime), but for now I need to maintain what I have since I'm still very young.

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting theory on the liver breaking down androgens, and diet, exercise and lifestyle affecting hair. My hair loss coincided with starting a stressful office job and drinking lots of tea - used to have a more active job and drink 1.5litres of water a day before that.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do the same exact thing Hoppi so don't worry haha. I will have a period where I will hardly see any strands of hair in my comb so I will analyze everything I did that month and try to live the same way but then I will have shedding periods as well. The workout program consisted of 3 muscle resistance workouts (such as one dvd would be push-ups/pull ups, one would be weightlifting, other would focus on legs) and the other 3 were cardio based workouts and each on is done on a different day of the week along with ab exercises. Then on the last week of every block is a lower resistance week. This is called muscle confusion and you avoid the plateau affect and get some amazing results in only 3 months. If you're looking to get into better shape I would definitely look into p90x!

As far as sticking to the regimen. I don't think it has gained any new hairs but my crown looks a bit thicker than it did this time last year so I think individual hairs thickened up. However I do notice now in certain mirrors and lighting (such as at my Dad's house) that, when it is wet, my hair is thinning in the front and I don't really know at what point this year that started happening so I can't really judge whether it improved or not. I attribute the thickening of my crown to eating fish and cutting out all soda and snacks and such. Of course I do enjoy myself occasionally haha. I'm just not willing to risk anymore and have seen on here that people saw great results with using the big three, plus my scalp itch never went away when I got healthier so I definitely want that nizoral lol. Like you said, I love my hair! I miss having it long, it used my thing so when I had to cut it short it was sort of depressing.

I am going to integrate the hot lemon/diluted apple cider vinegar as well now. Thanks for the advice! Oh and my Grandfather is a chiropractor and nutritionist (somewhat) he gets caught up in some silly health fads but he sent me an e-mail a couple months about the benefits of eating fruit but the e-mail claimed we don't always see those benefits because we don't eat fruit the right way. The e-mail claims that fruit is meant to be ingested on an empty stomach and can help with a list of things such as hair loss or impotence. I'm not sure of the validity of all of this and haven't tried it yet but I can post it on here if anyone is interested!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Yeah erm, I think I've heard of this about the fruit, I was watching this video just yesterday:

[youtube:1mktxwz3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsSlMYtncg[/youtube:1mktxwz3]

Also, I plan upon the advice of the Curezone Liver Flush forum to do one of these tomorrow:

http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp

followed by fortnightly thereafter until hopefully my egg intolerance and things have gone. As well as some other less dramatic and less essential bits n bobs :)

This whole thing for me has been a mystery to try to work out what caused my original problem that led to both skin and hair problems (the huge digestive reactions to mayonnaise I was having - even fainting, etc). As I say, if this DOES work... then I think it may strongly indicate the role of the liver in male pattern baldness. I mean the liver is already indicated, as a lack of bile causes an egg intolerance specifically, but imagine if this liver model could be extended to everyone with male pattern baldness over say 22?

By the way sorry for talking about this so much here as I know it isn't my thread!! But ofc it could explain what you experienced also... I hope so!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video! That really backs up the e-mail my Grandpa sent me and seeing this guy explain it makes it seem even more reasonable. I would start eating fruit like this if I weren't leaving this week for the holidays but I'm going to attempt it when I come back.

I'd say that liver cleanse is definitely worth a try. I don't have those problems mentioned and I eat eggs like crazy or might consider it myself. I have had other problems since I was little that I haven't talked much of and I don't want to gross people out with too much information but I am beginning to wonder if there's a correlation between those problems and hair loss.

I don't mind you talking about it at all, I find it very fascinating because, like you said, the liver problems could have something to do with baldness and skin problems. I am just trying to figure out what cultures have the best hair and what they eat. I have a few friends from the Mediterranean areas such as Morocco and they keep a pretty steady diet of fish, salads, grains, and the like but a couple of them are balding as well so I am stumped. Oh well, we always have to be open to anything and I'm not giving up anytime soon.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Well, I believe the connection of eggs is it may indicate a disrupted flow of bile, which is the main way the liver detoxes. Of course, there are other ways to make the liver toxic such as alcohol or environmental toxins, but a blocked (or sluggish) bile duct for example would do the job fast and very quickly result in a rapid increase in liver toxicity. That's what I'm suspecting for myself, I just hope I'm right!

Additionally, pretty much all the things I've heard associated with balding affect liver health. When my friend who lives in a particularly polluted city said tons of guys there were losing hair I was like whaaa? But this model of the liver just makes sense of everything! *crosses fingers!!*

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
There's definitely a bunch of talk in previous threads on this forum related to dietary practices and hair quality as well as how insulin functioning in particular fits into that. P90x is a pretty effective little workout system for people who aren't used to going to the gym yet and makes for a nice way to get your body in shape for both real workouts and for a boost in self esteem.

I'm personally not a fan of fruit, free fructose is harmful to your body in the end no matter what packaging it comes in (soft drinks/apples), if taken in large enough amounts. Additionally large consumption of any type of sugar does make your body more susceptible to yeast infections as is mentioned earlier. The video linked above is somewhat bullshit. You don't need to eat anything else with fruit to turn fructose into glucose, that conversion is a simple natural process of fructose ingestion done by your liver and part of the reason for fructose's effect on fatty liver disease. However, reducing carbohydrate load of any type at the times that you are consuming fats and proteins does have a favorable effect on proper bile production for much of the same mechanisms that it favorably reduces acid reflux!

One of the great part of most web forums is that there's a decent amount of anonymity afforded by them allowing you to talk about things which you normally wouldn't want your friends and neighbor's knowing about you. You mention additional health issues, few parts of the body work in isolation from the rest of your system and often times it's those "to much information" issues that play a large hand in the more simplistic outward symptoms that are more noticeable. I doubt you'd offend anyone too much by mentioning these additional problems (especially not someone like myself who had numerous related issues as a result of Celiac disease) and it might also help shine a light on how these different things are connected.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That definitely is making sense to me Hoppi, I am wondering about the correlation of the liver and hair loss now so let us know what you find!

Brains- Yeah p90x is best for those (like myself) who don't know the best ways to work out for good benefits. It got me in my best shape since high school. As for the fruit subject, I'll be the first to say I don't know much about nutrition and what does what to your body so I go by experience. I still don't eat too much fruit, maybe one a day. Fruit causes little irritating bumps in my mouth so I may be slightly allergic. I do know that it gives me more energy than any nasty energy drink could though.

As far as my "problem" goes it's really not too embarrassing I suppose. It's that ever since I was a little kid I only have bowel movements about once a week. Most people I know go every day but as far back as I remember it's only been once a week for me. I don't know if there's any correlation between that and hairloss...maybe an autoimmune problem? Also, about the time I was 19 (well close to 20) I started having problems with...well I just don't produce semen like I did in high school so I have a low libido. It took and embarrassing moment with a past girlfriend to find that out haha. It was soon after that started that my hair started thinning so I don't know.

I'm a pretty healthy guy for the most part and don't get sick that often so I still don't know what the reasons for those two problems might be.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thom said:
That definitely is making sense to me Hoppi, I am wondering about the correlation of the liver and hair loss now so let us know what you find!

Brains- Yeah p90x is best for those (like myself) who don't know the best ways to work out for good benefits. It got me in my best shape since high school. As for the fruit subject, I'll be the first to say I don't know much about nutrition and what does what to your body so I go by experience. I still don't eat too much fruit, maybe one a day. Fruit causes little irritating bumps in my mouth so I may be slightly allergic. I do know that it gives me more energy than any nasty energy drink could though.

As far as my "problem" goes it's really not too embarrassing I suppose. It's that ever since I was a little kid I only have bowel movements about once a week. Most people I know go every day but as far back as I remember it's only been once a week for me. I don't know if there's any correlation between that and hairloss...maybe an autoimmune problem? Also, about the time I was 19 (well close to 20) I started having problems with...well I just don't produce semen like I did in high school so I have a low libido. It took and embarrassing moment with a past girlfriend to find that out haha. It was soon after that started that my hair started thinning so I don't know.

I'm a pretty healthy guy for the most part and don't get sick that often so I still don't know what the reasons for those two problems might be.

I'd do cleanses if I were you :) Liver cleanse (Hulda Clark cleanse on Curezone - she was a nutjob lol, but I think that cleanse seems fantastic - I'm going to do about 3-6 in total I think, going fortnightly), Oxy-Powder, and a good probiotic (maybe Latero-flora or a good Acidophilus mix). Along with the regular ACV and maybe something like garlic, that should sort out your digestion quite nicely!

I don't think I'll ever be able to stick to a strict diet tbh - I love food and also eating out too much (typical Italian!) but I'm going to be much more canny and responsible with what I eat once this ordeal is hopefully over. More veg and fruit, less fat, and less dependence on gluten and carbs. In the long run bi-annual liver cleanses and Oxy, regular ACV, etc etc! Health begins in the colon, as Dr Group says! hehe, and whether he's wrong about other things or not, I totally agree with him on that :)

EDIT -- haha this is correct I just know it! A quick Google for the role of the liver in (sex) hormone removal and hormonal disorder or dysfunction practically floods the screen! Just TRY to tell me male pattern baldness is somehow magically different to the rest! hehe :) A bunch of us are doing this on another forum, so let's see how the next month or two pans out :) If my shedding does stop, I'll take pics as it regrows and stuff :)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I sure want to try it out. I am not sure where to buy those components for a good liver cleanse. I imagine even if it didn't have the desired results it would make you feel really good afterward.

Haha I understand not being able to stick to a diet. My solution to this was that I ate healthy throughout the week and Sundays were my eat-whatever-I-want day. I found that I enjoyed the food a lot better this way! My family eats lots of meat products and sausages as influenced by my Great-Grandfather who was German so it's hard for me to eat the better stuff! I have had to cut out almost all alcohol but I feel a lot better for doing so.

So are you saying erectile dysfunction or low libido has been linked with liver damage? That sounds fascinating and makes me all the more interested in pursuing this liver cleanse option.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oh, no I meant hormonal "dysfunction" :)

Libido you can treat too, but I would get your digestion tip-top first! Healing should come from the digestive tract! ^^

and just copied this from another forum where I just posted it:

"oooo I'm so nervous I'm about to do my first flush tonight! The Epsom salt goes down in an hour then the olive oil and grapefruit goes down in erm... more like 3!

I'm doing a bit of a wimp's cleanse tbh lol - reduced Epsom salts to the smaller dose (but still enough to open the ducts) and reduced EVOO/grapefruit, just to be cautious and see how my body responds! I'll do a full one next time hopefully as well as an intestinal cleanse, parasite cleanse etc! God I'm hungry though but I can't eat atm!

I really hope I get some stones and sludge out, and just give my liver a spring clean and a push, basically. Done fortnightly or three weekly for a bit, this should do the trick :) "

hehe - the clock's ticking and I have everything ready!!!! O.O

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oh, no I meant hormonal "dysfunction" :)

Libido you can treat too, but I would get your digestion tip-top first! Healing should come from the digestive tract! ^^

and just copied this from another forum where I just posted it:

"oooo I'm so nervous I'm about to do my first flush tonight! The Epsom salt goes down in an hour then the olive oil and grapefruit goes down in erm... more like 3!

I'm doing a bit of a wimp's cleanse tbh lol - reduced Epsom salts to the smaller dose (but still enough to open the ducts) and reduced EVOO/grapefruit, just to be cautious and see how my body responds! I'll do a full one next time hopefully as well as an intestinal cleanse, parasite cleanse etc! God I'm hungry though but I can't eat atm!

I really hope I get some stones and sludge out, and just give my liver a spring clean and a push, basically. Done fortnightly or three weekly for a bit, this should do the trick :) "

hehe - the clock's ticking and I have everything ready!!!! O.O

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont belive in a healthy diet... its all in the DNA, so eating fruits/salads and getting the right amount of sleep or not having sex too much, none of that matters because you have this bloke here

epknrk.jpg

But if somethings working for you stick with it ;)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have a very valid point there RP3X haha. That is irritating to see some useless guy like that who probably spends his days playing World of Warcraft and thriving on a diet of hot pockets having a healthy head of hair. Fate is cruel

I am going to work on this digestion problem. I have tried everything from eating more fiber to drinking tons of water. It helps a bit but doesn't completely get it on track. Keep us updated on your progress, if anything it's a good thing to do for your body whether or not it affects the hair!

This is my last post for a couple weeks. I'm going to visit my Dad for the holidays and he doesn't have internet. When I come back I have to get to a doctor for a propecia prescription and then I'll start the big 3!

Hoppi

Reaction score
See you then Thom! Give my regards to the rest of Radiohead (KNEW your name reminded me of someone! hehe).

Hoppi!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey! I've been gone quite awhile! So how has the cleanse been going Hoppi? Good results?

Haha yeah the ID was influenced by Radiohead and my middle name (Thomas). Good call!

Well I've been on the minoxidil about a month now and I've included a bunch of vitamins with my regimen now. I'm taking fish oils, biotin, zinc, and the Hair Essentials vitamins which has Saw Palmetto in it. I'm growing my hair out long like I used to have it so hopefully it will good! (crossing fingers)