Starting Dutasteride Today- Wish Me Luck.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is working, but I'm afraid of the chance that my hair loss can become agressive, just like my father.

Oral spironolactone so far greatly reduced hair loss and it lessened the so called "male pattern baldness itch", which never interfered with my hair loss.

Any side effects?

I'm about to make the change over to avodart very soon. 3 years on finasteride with brilliant results. over the last 6 months my temples have began to go.. again. i will also use oral minoxidil.. have you tried this?

Why oral? There's a good reason people use topicals...

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any side effects?

Why oral? There's a good reason people use topicals...

I personally don't get the same sides oral than i do topicals, with dermarolling and foam i was getting bloated face with minoxidil. I don't get that with 5mg of minoxidil taken at night. Maybe im just sleeping through bloated face i don't know, but so far it's promising.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, shedding has decreased a lot, before it was like 60-80 hairs every day, now around 20, maybe 30 max.

Maybe I'm just a late responder. It was certainly that way with Propecia as long as I remember.

I did not drop finasteride. Still taking it.

I will post pics after I get a haircut in a couple of weeks ( max ) to see my (lack of) progress. I've already posted pics of my hairline somewhere but I need to find it.

So 8 months in, shedding has significantly reduced. You're following the same pattern as you did with finasteride. You don't think there's some cause for optimism? 4 months can do alot, see where you stand at the 1 year mark. Just PLEASE don't disappear in the next 4 months.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally don't get the same sides oral than i do topicals, with dermarolling and foam i was getting bloated face with minoxidil. I don't get that with 5mg of minoxidil taken at night. Maybe im just sleeping through bloated face i don't know, but so far it's promising.

With dermarolling, do you keep going until you bleed? I dermarolled for the 1st time ever a couple of nights ago with a 1.5mm dermaroller, but didn't bleed. Just simple redness and stopped there. Am I supposed to make it bleed?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
With dermarolling, do you keep going until you bleed? I dermarolled for the 1st time ever a couple of nights ago with a 1.5mm dermaroller, but didn't bleed. Just simple redness and stopped there. Am I supposed to make it bleed?
Hey Kombo how is your hair doing on dutasteride? Seeing any improvement? I'm so tempted ( and scared ) to try it as my hairline has recently taken another hit.. Likely due to this sudden monster shed so I'm hoping those lost hairs grow back!

Rysteve93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Kombo how is your hair doing on dutasteride? Seeing any improvement? I'm so tempted ( and scared ) to try it as my hairline has recently taken another hit.. Likely due to this sudden monster shed so I'm hoping those lost hairs grow back![/QUOTE

Monster shed has happened to me over the last 5 months!! Hairline has be destroyed. This is my first major shed on finasteride (3 years) are these shed's common?.. in terms of duration.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

I only get little specks of blood and redness, no real bleeding. I think that is sufficient.

Shmerty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been a member for a while but I think this is my first post. I read through these posts last week, whilst deciding to start dutasteride or not, and it helped me decide to start taking Dutasteride, yesterday. I found it very difficult to find even one good testimony of someone who switched from finasteride to dutasteride, with photos. I found one example where the person kept on referring to "great results" but refused to post photos. So I've taken photos, and will continue to do so. Hopefully my hair improves on dutasteride, but if it doesn't, hopefully my post will save people searching for days to find a post about starting Dutasteride that can be trusted. I just need to photoshop my face out as this forum is viewable by the public.

However, I'm conscious about hijacking Kombo's post, so I'll start my own and call it "Switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride". I've been treating my hairloss for nearly a decade now, but finasteride must have gradually reduced in effectiveness and I didn't notice until recent holiday photos.

Anyway, thanks for your original post Kombo as it helped me make my decision.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been a member for a while but I think this is my first post. I read through these posts last week, whilst deciding to start dutasteride or not, and it helped me decide to start taking Dutasteride, yesterday. I found it very difficult to find even one good testimony of someone who switched from finasteride to dutasteride, with photos. I found one example where the person kept on referring to "great results" but refused to post photos. So I've taken photos, and will continue to do so. Hopefully my hair improves on dutasteride, but if it doesn't, hopefully my post will save people searching for days to find a post about starting Dutasteride that can be trusted. I just need to photoshop my face out as this forum is viewable by the public.

However, I'm conscious about hijacking Kombo's post, so I'll start my own and call it "Switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride". I've been treating my hairloss for nearly a decade now, but finasteride must have gradually reduced in effectiveness and I didn't notice until recent holiday photos.

Anyway, thanks for your original post Kombo as it helped me make my decision.

Here you have it:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...regrow-in-months-with-dutasteride-pics.94281/

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, shedding has decreased a lot, before it was like 60-80 hairs every day, now around 20, maybe 30 max.

Maybe I'm just a late responder. It was certainly that way with Propecia as long as I remember.

I did not drop finasteride. Still taking it.

I will post pics after I get a haircut in a couple of weeks ( max ) to see my (lack of) progress. I've already posted pics of my hairline somewhere but I need to find it.

Hey man, it's been 2 more months. Any updates? Any changes in hair?

Shmerty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Kombo. This morning was indeed the last pill from the 2nd box.

Has my hair improved? Not that I have noticed. I asked my partner the same question tonight and she doesn’t see any difference either. I was always planning on 3-month photo updates though, and will do this.

Strange things:
I do get sore heads though, but can’t find any evidence online that dutasteride could be causing this.

Another strange feeling is that my scalp feels greasier than it did when I took finasteride. I don’t quite understand this as dutasteride should prevent less DHT serum being created than finasteride (if I’ve understood all the DHT/serum chat I’ve read).

I also see no visible shedding but do feel hairs hit my face now and again. But even when I try and look for them, I can’t see them. Before people panic form this, my hair doesn’t look it has thinned any in the last 2-month, so I don’t know if this ticking sensation is all in my head...

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Real kombo, itsjustsimon & whoever wants to read

Is the dutasteride your taking 100% legit? By this I mean did you receive a script from a doctor? I ask because I think everyone should be cautious when it comes to ordering a drug online without a script. If the dutasteride isn't real then how do we know that actual dutasteride causes hairline problems? There are so many people that post about side effects from dutasteride yet I have read a ridiculous amount of studies at this point and don't believe there should be a reason for dutasteride to affect the hairline negatively and also the sexual complications seem just as likely to appear for those who take finasteride. In my opinion, regardless of where dutasteride comes from it probably wouldn't hurt to have a hormone panel done before taking it and again 1 or 2 months into treatment. If members like AnxiousAndy and Nostro100 are correct, that dutasteride increases testosterone 7% or for some reason increases DHT or maybe both then seeing an endocrinologist before and after could provide evidence to support their claims or suggestions. Do you guys think that topical finasteride in combination with oral finasteride would be a safer route than using dutasteride and RU? The effects of topical finasteride might not be as great as dutasteride, but if we know from already taking finasteride orally that it hasn't destroyed the hairline or shown sexual side effects then maybe topical finasteride and finasteride orally is a way to decrease risk and gain noticeable results for one's hair. By the way, I am also thinking about making the switch. I just had a **** ton of blood drawn the other day to check every hormone that exists in my body lol and run the results by an endocrinologist before I do it. If I can finally talk a dermatologist into prescribing me dutasteride, after about a month or two of use, I will have all the same hormones checked to see how it's working with my system or see how it isn't. Otherwise, I might try to shoot for a topical finasteride in combination with the finasteride I am currently taking orally, but my dang scalp can't handle the dryness of any alcohol. I might try to add something like aloe if anyone else has any idea's I would like to listen. Anyway, this thread is cool because I haven't been able to find a "switching from finasteride to dutasteride" thread that has lasted this long.

I bet most of you have already read on this and somewhere there is a better study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29601622

Derelict & iamgotham

So far how is everything going with dutasteride as far as shedding and sides? I saw that thread you started iamgotham, and I tried to start one of my own also with no luck.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really can't believe how there is still no cure for hair loss. I mean in this world, we have figured out interplanetary space travel, artificial intelligence, genetic engineering, cloning, nanotechnology, autonomous vehicles, and treatments for cancer, but still, we draw a blank when it comes to a simple hair. I mean really, who are these people???

Shmerty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the dutasteride your taking 100% legit? By this I mean did you receive a script from a doctor? I ask because I think everyone should be cautious when it comes to ordering a drug online without a script. If the dutasteride isn't real then how do we know that actual dutasteride causes hairline problems?

My dutasteride is legit. Didn’t I take a photo of the box with the Pharamacy label containing my details, in the original post?

I’ve not said anything about it attacking my hairline. I’ve explained what my current state of hairloss is, in my previous post.

I will pay a bit more and get branded instead of generic when I get a repeat prescription though, to see if that stops my sore heads.

I’ll provide photos in a month (the 3 month stage)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Real kombo, itsjustsimon & whoever wants to read

Is the dutasteride your taking 100% legit? By this I mean did you receive a script from a doctor? I ask because I think everyone should be cautious when it comes to ordering a drug online without a script. If the dutasteride isn't real then how do we know that actual dutasteride causes hairline problems? There are so many people that post about side effects from dutasteride yet I have read a ridiculous amount of studies at this point and don't believe there should be a reason for dutasteride to affect the hairline negatively and also the sexual complications seem just as likely to appear for those who take finasteride. In my opinion, regardless of where dutasteride comes from it probably wouldn't hurt to have a hormone panel done before taking it and again 1 or 2 months into treatment. If members like AnxiousAndy and Nostro100 are correct, that dutasteride increases testosterone 7% or for some reason increases DHT or maybe both then seeing an endocrinologist before and after could provide evidence to support their claims or suggestions. Do you guys think that topical finasteride in combination with oral finasteride would be a safer route than using dutasteride and RU? The effects of topical finasteride might not be as great as dutasteride, but if we know from already taking finasteride orally that it hasn't destroyed the hairline or shown sexual side effects then maybe topical finasteride and finasteride orally is a way to decrease risk and gain noticeable results for one's hair. By the way, I am also thinking about making the switch. I just had a **** ton of blood drawn the other day to check every hormone that exists in my body lol and run the results by an endocrinologist before I do it. If I can finally talk a dermatologist into prescribing me dutasteride, after about a month or two of use, I will have all the same hormones checked to see how it's working with my system or see how it isn't. Otherwise, I might try to shoot for a topical finasteride in combination with the finasteride I am currently taking orally, but my dang scalp can't handle the dryness of any alcohol. I might try to add something like aloe if anyone else has any idea's I would like to listen. Anyway, this thread is cool because I haven't been able to find a "switching from finasteride to dutasteride" thread that has lasted this long.

I bet most of you have already read on this and somewhere there is a better study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29601622

Derelict & iamgotham

So far how is everything going with dutasteride as far as shedding and sides? I saw that thread you started iamgotham, and I tried to start one of my own also with no luck.
I can't comment on dutasteride as I've never taken it, but I was on brand name Propecia for a year with terrible results. My temples were bald within 3 months and my hairline started thinning/receding. Previously thick hair turned so thin it was invisible literally overnight. It was very alarming and bizarre to have one half of a hair healthy and thick and the other being extremely thin. There was no gradual thinning of the strand it just came out of nowhere! Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone but I'm confident if I were to have taken dutasteride ( even brand name ) it would have done a lot worse.

Last edited:

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, it's been 2 more months. Any updates? Any changes in hair?

No man, same sh*t. It's even a little bit worse.

I'm adding dermaroller + minoxidil as soon as I get rogaine. I hate topicals and minoxidil, but f*** it.