something new ?

T

TravisB

Right now Aderans, Histogen and Replicel are our closest hopes for a cure/better treatment.

It's only about a month until Replicel release their initial results. God, I can't wait, let's hope we'll be positively surprised!

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Great find! PGD2 is found in mast cells, they are involved in wound healing and vasolidation. Thanks for sharing.

abcdefg

Reaction score
There are different paths for male pattern baldness. A lot of guys have plenty of hair still and just need a way to keep hair and prevent hair loss with no major risks to their health. Propecia is something, but another treatment like ascj-9 or this might help make this a reality. Keeping hair will always be a much easier and cheaper option, but the problem is this option barely exists right now.
Regrowing hair is a different ball game and yes hair multiplication might be the best hope there, but you never know. Something could pop out of nowhere and regrow huge amounts of hair that they did not expect.
I have seen this story today on google news and its on numerous sites so its a credible new discovery I think. They also said some treatments using this are already in progress like for asthma.

T

TravisB

There were some important discoveries in the last several years, maybe we'll finally be able to see the cure for baldness in our lifetime?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what about the people who are doing the astresstin-b testing ? apparently they are also in the game...

weepysad

Reaction score
Aspirin supresses the production of prostaglandins. Is Aspirin going to be the next male pattern baldness treatment? :whistle:

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think there are lots of different kinds of these - prostaglandins so I mean does aspirin even target the right ones? It seems pretty unlikely but you can try I guess.

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Aspirin affects COX-1, we need COX-2 if I remember correctly.

According to the patent,

PGD2 synthase was detected as 17 pg/mg of tissue in haired scalp and 75.5 pg/mg in bald scalp, representing a 4.4 fold increase in bald tissue. PGD2A was also higher in bald scalp. PGE2 showed the opposite, levels were higher in hairy scalp than in bald scalp.

GPR49 (LGF5, HG38), another leucine rich repeat-containing protein, is found in hairy scalp. L-Leucine anyone?

Loomis

Reaction score
shivers20 said:
Merk has a drug called Laropiprant, it inhibits PGD2, reducing the amount flushing that occurs when taking niacin. In one study, the flavanoid quercetin was also used to reduce PGD2 levels in niacin flush.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831918

I posted this in the other thread because I didn't know this was the same subject, I'll pot it here as well.

Someone on another forum posted this about this new research,

There are two types of PGD2 receptors, DP1 and DP2 (DP2 is also known as 'GPR44' and 'CRTH2'). Laropiprant (Merck's drug) selectively blocks the PD1 receptor - Cotsarelis showed that the PD2 receptor (and not PD1) is involved in hair growth downregulation. BTW, niacin produces flushing via the PD1 receptor - the PD2 receptor is not involved in the flushing at all.

and then this

Setipiprant by Actelion blocks the right PGD2 receptor implicated in male pattern baldness (PD2). Right now, setipiprant is in phase 2/3 testing.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I suggest reading a few different stories about this and not just one. It really highlights how the media way over hypes stories when they have little real information.
I read a few articles where they flat out claimed this discovery was a cure for male pattern baldness. It clearly is nowhere near that this is the more realistic result that they found a new receptor and no one knows what the results will really be.

Whether blocking the GPR44 receptor would allow the regrowth of hair after balding -- or just prevent balding in the first place -- remains an open question. It also remains to be seen whether inhibiting the receptor would have any effect in humans.

dam

Reaction score
Niacin produces pgd2, so would products like revivigen that contain niacin as a active ingredient cause hairloss? also would coffee and energy drinks wich are high in niacin cause hairloss? Been looking for this answer for some time now i just got revivogen and dont want to use it because of the niacin in it, i do get a slight burning sensation after application, i figure it is the niacin. any help would be appreciated.