Some Unusual male pattern baldness + Area Thinning, And Minoxidil Problems

Vastatio

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, here's my case. Would love some feedback if anyone has had a similar experience.

I'm 29, family history of male pattern baldness with both grandfathers, although my father didn't start losing his hair until his 40s. I started to notice some thinning around age 24, and started taking Finasteride at that time. I didn't notice much of a difference between age 24 and 27, which I guess means the Finasteride was doing its job--basically, nobody ever told me I looked like I was going bald, although I had a couple friends say my hair was generally looking thin. It was pretty much limited to thinning at the crown at that time.

Maybe a year or so ago, I noticed that it was looking a bit worse than usual, thinner all over. Most of the time, I'd just use a thickening shampoo and sort of brush my hair back, because the frontal hairline was solid, and that would cover anything up, but I had to start working harder to do that, if it worked at all. My partner said my hair was looking thinner, especially at the crown. At the same time, I started to very rapidly lose hair on the right side of my head, just above my ear, in a circle about 6 or 7 cm in diameter. That part didn't look like male pattern baldness at all. I can't trace this change to anything in particular; I moved to a different country, but had no major stress, didn't change my diet, etc.

About six months ago, I started taking Minoxidil 5%, applied all over my head. Since then, my hair has gotten dramatically thinner everywhere (generalized thinning, but also specific areas), including on the right side, and for the first time my frontal hairline is starting to thin out a bit as well. Is this the normal Minoxidil shedding, and should I just ride it out? Am I in the percentage of people whose hair seems to react very badly to Minoxidil? And what's going on with the side thinning?

If you guys have any feedback, that would be great, as I'm pretty confused here, and a little concerned about whatever's going on with the side of my head. Thanks ---

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pics bro nobody can help you without them.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey, here's my case. Would love some feedback if anyone has had a similar experience.

I'm 29, family history of male pattern baldness with both grandfathers, although my father didn't start losing his hair until his 40s. I started to notice some thinning around age 24, and started taking Finasteride at that time. I didn't notice much of a difference between age 24 and 27, which I guess means the Finasteride was doing its job--basically, nobody ever told me I looked like I was going bald, although I had a couple friends say my hair was generally looking thin. It was pretty much limited to thinning at the crown at that time.

Maybe a year or so ago, I noticed that it was looking a bit worse than usual, thinner all over. Most of the time, I'd just use a thickening shampoo and sort of brush my hair back, because the frontal hairline was solid, and that would cover anything up, but I had to start working harder to do that, if it worked at all. My partner said my hair was looking thinner, especially at the crown. At the same time, I started to very rapidly lose hair on the right side of my head, just above my ear, in a circle about 6 or 7 cm in diameter. That part didn't look like male pattern baldness at all. I can't trace this change to anything in particular; I moved to a different country, but had no major stress, didn't change my diet, etc.

About six months ago, I started taking Minoxidil 5%, applied all over my head. Since then, my hair has gotten dramatically thinner everywhere (generalized thinning, but also specific areas), including on the right side, and for the first time my frontal hairline is starting to thin out a bit as well. Is this the normal Minoxidil shedding, and should I just ride it out? Am I in the percentage of people whose hair seems to react very badly to Minoxidil? And what's going on with the side thinning?

If you guys have any feedback, that would be great, as I'm pretty confused here, and a little concerned about whatever's going on with the side of my head. Thanks ---
Minoxidil will mess up your normal shedding pattern. It sometimes gets alot worse before it gets better. Or sometime it puts you in a state of chronic telogen effluvium.