So What Are The Options If You Don't Want To Go Bald But Get Bad Sides On finasteride?

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you experience side effects at the normal finasteride dosage but want to try it again, the focus should not be on 'will it work for my hair?' but 'how much finasteride can my body tolerate?'. Therefore, you should start as low as you can and very very slowly increase it from there. Better to have delayed/suboptimal results from finasteride than having to quit completely for good (for your hair that is).

thanks man, might try this method for a few months and see if i can increase

INT

Reaction score
thanks man, might try this method for a few months and see if i can increase

Try to go 0.1 mg 3 days a week for a month.
Then 0.2 mg 3 days a week for a month
Then 0.25 mg 3 days a week for a month
etc.

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try to go 0.1 mg 3 days a week for a month.
Then 0.2 mg 3 days a week for a month
Then 0.25 mg 3 days a week for a month
etc.

Do you know if finasteride permanently effects erection fullness (whilst on thedrug)

just feel like my erection is never really "full" like buldging pulsating kind of when im not on it

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As mentioned, finasteride inhibits virtually the same amount of DHT for all doses of around 0.2mg upwards. And if you were to keep reducing your dosage until you eventually find a dose that minimizes your side-effects, in all likelihood this dose will not be doing much for your hair loss.

The equation works like this: reduce your dosage = less DHT being inhibited = less side-effects = less hair gains. This is how it works, and there isn't any way around this unfortunately.

If you got bad sides from finasteride, which does occasionally happen, you're fighting an uphill battle unfortunately. No other treatments that we have available are anything like as effective as finasteride/dutasteride. Your best option is probably to give RU plus CB a try, and maybe also start taking a low dose of oral minoxidil.

wait so if 0.25mg works the same as 1mg, then why the recommended dosage on the drug is 1mg every day and not 0.25? why not everyone just take 0.25mg?
The reason for this is that a very small number of people are outliers, who need a higher dose than usual in order to potently inhibit their DHT. In order to take account of these outliers, Merck decided upon a dose of 1mg for hair loss. For the vast majority of people however, there would be essentially no difference between a dose of 0.25mg and a dose of 1mg.

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
As mentioned, finasteride inhibits virtually the same amount of DHT for all doses of around 0.2mg upwards. And if you were to keep reducing your dosage until you eventually find a dose that minimizes your side-effects, in all likelihood this dose will not be doing much for your hair loss.

The equation works like this: reduce your dosage = less DHT being inhibited = less side-effects = less hair gains. This is how it works, and there isn't any way around this unfortunately.

If you got bad sides from finasteride, which does occasionally happen, you're fighting an uphill battle unfortunately. No other treatments that we have available are anything like as effective as finasteride/dutasteride. Your best option is probably to give RU plus CB a try, and maybe also start taking a low dose of oral minoxidil.

The reason for this is that a very small number of people are outliers, who need a higher dose than usual in order to potently inhibit their DHT. In order to take account of these outliers, Merck decided upon a dose of 1mg for hair loss. For the vast majority of people however, there would be essentially no difference between a dose of 0.25mg and a dose of 1mg.

What are your thoughts on taking 0.25mg twice a week?

Also, if you have slow recession/balding having a low dose of finasteride may be enough to keep your hair/hair gains logically speaking no?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know if finasteride permanently effects erection fullness (whilst on thedrug)

just feel like my erection is never really "full" like buldging pulsating kind of when im not on it

try l-citrulline for stronger erections if they are weak on finasteride.

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
try l-citrulline for stronger erections if they are weak on finasteride.

thans

update

- so mad, took 0.25mg earlier this morning , balls feel on fire and dink feels lifeless sick of this sh*t ugh.
at least it doesn't feel as bad as when i took 0.5mg

INT

Reaction score
thans

update

- so mad, took 0.25mg earlier this morning , balls feel on fire and dink feels lifeless sick of this sh*t ugh.
at least it doesn't feel as bad as when i took 0.5mg

How much time was there between taking the pill and getting these symptoms?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on taking 0.25mg twice a week?

Also, if you have slow recession/balding having a low dose of finasteride may be enough to keep your hair/hair gains logically speaking no?
0.25mg twice a week will most likely result in substantially less DHT inhibition than a standard dose, and it will lessen side-effects as a result, but at the same time, it will be less effective for hair growth. It is not possible to know whether or not it would be able to stop hair loss in any specific case. You'll just have to give it a try and wait and see. If you are going to experiment with microdosing, it would actually be better to take 0.05mg or 0.1mg every day than 0.25mg twice a week, because it is best to have constant hormone levels rather than your hormone levels constantly fluctuating. Having fluctuating hormone levels is likely to cause side-effects itself. So in other words, it is better to take a lower dose more frequently rather than a higher dose less frequently. It might be difficult to split the tablet so small, so maybe dissolve it in an appropriate liquid and measure the correct dose. Just my two cents.

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
0.25mg twice a week will most likely result in substantially less DHT inhibition than a standard dose, and it will lessen side-effects as a result, but at the same time, it will be less effective for hair growth. It is not possible to know whether or not it would be able to stop hair loss in any specific case. You'll just have to give it a try and wait and see. If you are going to experiment with microdosing, it would actually be better to take 0.05mg or 0.1mg every day than 0.25mg twice a week, because it is best to have constant hormone levels rather than your hormone levels constantly fluctuating. Having fluctuating hormone levels is likely to cause side-effects itself. So in other words, it is better to take a lower dose more frequently rather than a higher dose less frequently. It might be difficult to split the tablet so small, so maybe dissolve it in an appropriate liquid and measure the correct dose. Just my two cents.

Hmmm, i disagree though, the DR's say use 1mg 3x a week also, in that study it shows that DHT starts climbing 3 days after being supressed so hence why twice a week may work?

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt maintaining had much of anything to do with that. That's equivalent to around .05mg/day which was shown to be no better than placebo in reducing DHT. You need to use at least .25mg eod to have any effect. The ball ache goes away for most people.

Dam so should i try 0.25mg EOD will that be enough?

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a feeling i could properly tolerate taking finasteride 3x a week 1mg if the gym was open and i was training/sleeping/eating well

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm, i disagree though, the DR's say use 1mg 3x a week also, in that study it shows that DHT starts climbing 3 days after being supressed so hence why twice a week may work?
Looking at the chart below, it appears that three days after a single dose of finasteride, your DHT levels will be noticeably higher than on the day you took it. And after four days, the difference is greater still. The difference isn't all that large though, so you might still be alright taking 0.25mg finasteride twice a week. But it might still be better to be on the safe side and perhaps take 0.125mg every other day instead, to have more constant DHT levels with less fluctuation. Although I realize it would be hard to split a tablet that small.
5faea4ccfd5a26c8d11ffdcd09cd5b1246a8db1d.gif

Last edited:

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at the chart below, it appears that three days after a single dose of finasteride, your DHT levels will be noticeably higher than on the day you took it. And after four days, the difference is greater still. The difference isn't all that large though, so you might still be alright taking 0.25mg finasteride twice a week. But it might still be better to be on the safe side and perhaps take 0.125mg every other day instead, to have more constant DHT levels with less fluctuation. Although I realize it would be hard to split a tablet that small.
View attachment 141947

thanks for the discussion man, i think for now i might go with 0.25mg EOD for a while see how i go then go to 0.25mg ED

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just absolutely rape your donor and get the top done right, enjoy your best years.. it will last you a very long time. Then by that time there’ll be a cure..or just get SMP, prob have 3D ink before a cure.