So I shaved my head... pictures attached

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm facing hair loss problems since 2019 after an allergic reaction. 2020 brought me nothing but happiness when I was noticing my hair growing again, but it wouldn't last that longer. In December 2020, for some reason, my scalp started itching again. The same itch, pain, shedding and stinginess that I had back in 2019. Previously in the same year I went to the derm and she said it was a telogen effluvium, and regrowth was sprouting (she showed me on the thricothing). This filled me up with hope, but why did it happen again? No one in my family has had problems with hair. Grandpas (both sides), father, mother, grandmother, brother, whatever. Why? I'm only 20...

This infamous itch followed me for months until March, where I decided to wash my hair everyday (I used to stretch washes to every other day). I also started using, again, ketoconazole 2%. This alleviated a bit but I was still getting pimples/acne on scalp, especially on the sides and on the top-left. Yesterday after a lot of thoughts I decided to buzz my head. I never did this before. I kept my long hair for years, ever since I was 14, and it was the root of my self-steem. I used to be bullied a lot so changing my visuals really gave me a different perspective of myself that I hadn't seen before. It turns out I am not that unhappy with the results, but I still prefer the longer hair.

It is easier to notice how inflammed some areas are. I'm pretty sure the infamous shedding I experienced was due to this inflammation. Honestly, I pretty much tried everything: keto, salicylic acid, zinc pyrothione (sorry if I'm spelling wrong) and nothing ever worked, just temporarily. I know that, even though the pimples/acne aren't present now, they will soon appear. It can be tomorrow, next week or next month. I, sincerely, am tired of trying. The derm I went to this year said I was balding and said she wouldn't prescribe me finasteride and just told me to accept. These different opinions from derms and people in general really put me in a maze. Well, I'm going to ask your opinions one more time. Here are some pictures of different angles of my hair now, and some pictures of before. The shorter hair was last week, the longer last year in December.

I appreciate all your answers and really would like an input of what to do regards to my acne on scalp. It really hurts.

Attachments

• 20210430_201226.jpg
    20210430_201226.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 511
  • 20210504_183636.jpg
    20210504_183636.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 20210505_194444.jpg
    20210505_194444.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 442
  • 20210505_194448.jpg
    20210505_194448.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 20210505_194536.jpg
    20210505_194536.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 20210505_194909.jpg
    20210505_194909.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 20210505_194925.jpg
    20210505_194925.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 20210505_194939.jpg
    20210505_194939.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm facing hair loss problems since 2019 after an allergic reaction. 2020 brought me nothing but happiness when I was noticing my hair growing again, but it wouldn't last that longer. In December 2020, for some reason, my scalp started itching again. The same itch, pain, shedding and stinginess that I had back in 2019. Previously in the same year I went to the derm and she said it was a telogen effluvium, and regrowth was sprouting (she showed me on the thricothing). This filled me up with hope, but why did it happen again? No one in my family has had problems with hair. Grandpas (both sides), father, mother, grandmother, brother, whatever. Why? I'm only 20...

This infamous itch followed me for months until March, where I decided to wash my hair everyday (I used to stretch washes to every other day). I also started using, again, ketoconazole 2%. This alleviated a bit but I was still getting pimples/acne on scalp, especially on the sides and on the top-left. Yesterday after a lot of thoughts I decided to buzz my head. I never did this before. I kept my long hair for years, ever since I was 14, and it was the root of my self-steem. I used to be bullied a lot so changing my visuals really gave me a different perspective of myself that I hadn't seen before. It turns out I am not that unhappy with the results, but I still prefer the longer hair.

It is easier to notice how inflammed some areas are. I'm pretty sure the infamous shedding I experienced was due to this inflammation. Honestly, I pretty much tried everything: keto, salicylic acid, zinc pyrothione (sorry if I'm spelling wrong) and nothing ever worked, just temporarily. I know that, even though the pimples/acne aren't present now, they will soon appear. It can be tomorrow, next week or next month. I, sincerely, am tired of trying. The derm I went to this year said I was balding and said she wouldn't prescribe me finasteride and just told me to accept. These different opinions from derms and people in general really put me in a maze. Well, I'm going to ask your opinions one more time. Here are some pictures of different angles of my hair now, and some pictures of before. The shorter hair was last week, the longer last year in December.

I appreciate all your answers and really would like an input of what to do regards to my acne on scalp. It really hurts.
Your hair looks fine in pic 2. Your dermatologist sounds like someone from 1979. That's just pathetic advice. Can you say your name and what you might like to use. You write lots, like me.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t see any thinning personally. When you use the keto shampoo, how long do leave it on during the shower?

Have you tried taking an anti histamine?

Besides inflammation from a scalp condition, it can be the dht itch if you feel like you really are losing hair. But since your family history says that’s unlikely coupled with lack of thinning in those pictures I don’t think it’s that.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My name is Pedro. I honestly have no idea what to use anymore. As I said, tried everything that could help my situation but they haven't worked, only reduced a bit the pain and the itchiness. I can't afford a new derm any time soon so I'm quite lost.
I would try Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders medicated in addition to Keto. Selsun Blue is good for dermatitis, dandruff, acne and inflammation. Minoxidil is OTC and you could try two percent. When you are 18, you could try finasteride or dutasteride. Acne, dermatitis, bacterial infections, dandruff and baldness are all DHT artifacts and indicative that your face and scalp are producing too much sebum. Polysorbate 80 is cheap on Amazon and it might dissolve sebum deposits that have built up and reduce inflammation.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t see any thinning personally. When you use the keto shampoo, how long do leave it on during the shower?

Have you tried taking an anti histamine?

Besides inflammation from a scalp condition, it can be the dht itch if you feel like you really are losing hair. But since your family history says that’s unlikely coupled with lack of thinning in those pictures I don’t think it’s that.
No I haven't. Gonna look forward into that.

I leave it for 3 minutes, twice a week.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would try Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders medicated in addition to Keto. Selsun Blue is good for dermatitis, dandruff, acne and inflammation. Minoxidil is OTC and you could try two percent. When you are 18, you could try finasteride or dutasteride. Acne, dermatitis, bacterial infections, dandruff and baldness are all DHT artifacts and indicative that your face and scalp are producing too much sebum. Polysorbate 80 is cheap on Amazon and it might dissolve sebum deposits that have built up and reduce inflammation.
H&S didn't help me at all. It seemed to make my problem worse. Selsun blue... I guess they don't sell in my country. I'm currently using a salicylic acid shampoo since it's my only option as for now.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
H&S didn't help me at all. It seemed to make my problem worse. Selsun blue... I guess they don't sell in my country. I'm currently using a salicylic acid shampoo since it's my only option as for now.
It is a sulfur and selenium dandruff shampoo. Did you try H&S medicated or regular? They have different base minerals.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
close up.

insanely inflammed. what the hell

Attachments

• 20210506_161209.jpg
    20210506_161209.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 253

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should see a dermatologist. They can give you a couple of different meds that might work.
Can't afford so soon. I will stick with the keto, at least it gives me relief whenever I'm using. And maybe it's too early to say whether it's working or not.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should see a dermatologist. They can give you a couple of different meds that might work.
Would you say this redness/browness around the follicles is enough to cause permanent hair loss? This insane itchiness/pain isn't that frequent. It comes and goes, so I have no clue when I'll get better or when it'll kick in. I don't scratch, just massage it during showers.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you say this redness/browness around the follicles is enough to cause permanent hair loss? This insane itchiness/pain isn't that frequent. It comes and goes, so I have no clue when I'll get better or when it'll kick in. I don't scratch, just massage it during showers.
I had it for years and a combination of beard removal where it seemed to originate and HRT finally gave me peace. I would at times have oozing sores and scabs in fringe areas but not on top for some reason. I had something called Nystatin cream but it wasn't very effective for me. I think we also tried a steroid remedy that didn't work well either.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Who and the hell said you are balding and why are you on this forum? Jesus
Isn't T.E a form of hair loss? If I indeed have it, that is.

My hair was falling in alarming amounts when I first signed up here, and it was depressing. I thought that knowing people who suffer from any kinds of hair loss would make me feel less anxious. That's why I joined.

In any case, I understand why you're saying that I'm not balding, since I'm not virtually receding. However, I will stay here until I find out what my scalp problem really is.

jazz1

Reaction score
Your hair in general is awesome, have you considered adding hairloss oils? Check out Divine herbal oils might help. A better Ketaconazole shampoo I would recommend is Regenepure DR.