Skin Needling

aussiedavid

Reaction score
I bought it from this company:

http://www.clearskincare.com.au/hair_restoration.html

I live near their Bondi Junction store so I actually went and checked it out first. I didn't get the 96 needle one (they didn't have one in stock that day), but a slightly narrower one. I only want to do the temporal region and it seems fine for this area. The needle length is 0.75mm. It is definitely a bit painful, but manageable.

Here is the link to the one I bought. I will probably get the 96 needle one next time, simply so I can get the job done quicker.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hair-loss-re...31413QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Here's a link to the 96 needle one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hair-loss-re...31413QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on this please as far as results go. If you can, document pictures of your progress and everything.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this one?

I've had to cut back the needling I was doing because I simply don't have access to anything decent to needle with. I'd been using common drawing pins shoved into a strong eraser but it feels more like I'm stabbing my head rather than 'needling'. Once I get home in a few weeks I'll buy myself one o' them fancy novaderm rollers from clearskin.

I have a lot of hope for this one, but I don't want to risk doing any damage to my head sticking blunt drawing pins into my head. I'll look more into the topical concoction Joseph had created when I have access to a mailbox again too.

Will keep ya's posted.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
You know, I wouldn't buy one of those dermarollers, and I haven't heard any real success stories from needling. I don't know who this Joseph guy was, but he was most likely full of sh*t. I'd seriously wait until Follica releases the results of their clinical trials before you attempt to waste money.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
masculineyourheart said:
...I've had to cut back the needling I was doing because I simply don't have access to anything decent to needle with. . .. .

Well it's not a substitute for needling - but you can massage your scalp w/ your fingernails while shampooing. That's what I do. I wouldn't go as hard as to draw blood though.

Back in the day I'd read that using your fingerails on your scalp while shampooing was bad - now according to a person in the know at another forum - it's highly recommended.

Hasn't hurt me none.

aussiedavid

Reaction score
symbolx said:
You know, I wouldn't buy one of those dermarollers, and I haven't heard any real success stories from needling. I don't know who this Joseph guy was, but he was most likely full of s***. I'd seriously wait until Follica releases the results of their clinical trials before you attempt to waste money.

Symbolx is right. Waiting for Follica or some other company that has conducted clinical trials is the only way you are going to get a product known to work. In the meantime, I'm happy to mess around with the needling and tricomin and minoxidil. It probably won't work, but it makes me feel better at least having a go. I've been trying Xandrox 15% on my hairline for the past 4-5 months and it hasn't done a dam thing....I'm starting to wonder if the ingredients are really as they say they are. If anything, my hair has fallen out more since I stopped my pharmacists 8% solution and started the 15% solution.....but that's another topic completely.

aussiedavid

Reaction score
masculineyourheart said:
Have you had a go with the needling yet, aussiedavid? How'd it go?

I only started it a few weeks ago, so way too early to have any results. It does sting a bit, but it is bearable. From what I have read on here it will take a few months at least to know if it's working. I'll update in a couple of months.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I received a few PMs about this thread, mostly good. :whistle: Sorry for being so slow respond, but I rarely visit here anymore. I'll continue with updates as long as possible though.

Still doing great with needling. Added vitamin B12 and lithium orotate to my regimen. Three months ago I had a tiny setback at the vertex, probably just a little winter shedding. Otherwise my hairline, temples, and crown are better than ever. I rarely reach for a hat anymore, probably just out of habit now. I also notice any hair that is shed has an increasingly larger bulb. Although, I also admit to being tired of needling (the slight annoyance + pain) and might give it a break. I want to see just how potent lithium orotate and retin-a are in absence of needling.

BTW, the reason I had stopped taking pictures of my hair is because it almost ruined my camera. The topicals were eating away at the lens coating. I didn't realize it had reached the lens after a few closeups, until almost too late. This is for anyone thinking it was a conspiracy. I also HATE looking at pictures of myself, and rarely even look in a mirror. Guess I'm the opposite of a narcissist. Don't know what more to say.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
You're a weight lifter, how can you not look at yourself in the mirror?

A few other questions joseph, for when you're next around...
Are you still throwing everything into your minoxidil? You never did mention how you work out the dosages on those.
What form of SOD are you using? From what I've read, it's very unstable. You mentioned you prepare your concoction once every few months, isn't this too long for the superoxide dismutase to be chilling out with the rest of the ingredients in the topical?

I'm back home now albeit penniless until work starts, however, I've robbed a few banks and am about to order a roller from Clear Skincare. It's $100 for .75mm x .25mm needles. I'll get started once it arrives.

This fad seems to be dying off somewhat in spite of good results from joseph, dietcola and kuma.

Interesting side note: the first two needling studies joseph provided were from the follica research team prior to unleashing their recent patent. In the studies, they would needle and then introduce wnts or other proteins into the needled areas to take advantage of embryonic genes that had been activated as a result of wounding the areas. In doing this they could encourage the wound to regenerate in a way to encourage scar healing and hair growth. This seems at odds to the recent patent where, from my understanding, they wound and then try to prevent wnt signalling in such a way as to prevent skin healing and force hair growth in its place.

I'm not well-versed on the follica patent however, so I'm probably way off.

powersam

Reaction score
well i've put my money where my mouth is and bought a clearskin roller. the .75mm one. will report back in a month or so. am rolling then applying minoxidil nightly. once a day applications of my minoxidil + green tea mix

aussiedavid

Reaction score
jcn50 said:
aussiedavid said:
I started needling 2 months ago....nothing, nil, zip.....I'll keep trying.
Do you put some Minoxidil before or after?...

Immediately after needling I put Tricomin on. Once that is dry, I put 15% minoxidil on the front and 5% minoxidil on the rest.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
masculineyourheart said:
Interesting side note: the first two needling studies joseph provided were from the follica research team prior to unleashing their recent patent. In the studies, they would needle and then introduce wnts or other proteins into the needled areas to take advantage of embryonic genes that had been activated as a result of wounding the areas. In doing this they could encourage the wound to regenerate in a way to encourage scar healing and hair growth. This seems at odds to the recent patent where, from my understanding, they wound and then try to prevent wnt signalling in such a way as to prevent skin healing and force hair growth in its place.

I'm not well-versed on the follica patent however, so I'm probably way off.

The new patent does not in any way promote the inhibition of wnt signalling. In fact the same data that shows increased hair formation with increased wnt signalling is at the back of it. What it does do is emphasise the inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptors during the healing process and mostly ignores the wnt pathway.
hh

Nostromos

Reaction score
Is there anyplace in the states that sells/ships this? I just see places in Australia and Phillipines?

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, harold. I'm relieved what they have now is carrying on from their needling studies. It seems they were growing hair with needling and wnts but now they're trying to refine the process to ensure maximum hair growth and have more control over the whole process. It all seems very promising.

My clearskin roller arrived the other day and I eagerly had a go at it. The damn thing hurts like a fiend and has left my head itching the last two days. I don't think .75mm is long enough anyway. Certainly not long enough to get the 'pop' sound I was getting when using thumb-tacks. I'm considering ordering the Dr Roller now which has 1mm needles and seems decent quality. If it's still short though, I will have wasted $250 all up on these rollers. I'd buy lancets but they don't have them sitting around in Aussie chemists like they seem to in the states, you bunch of junkies. ;)

Nostromos said:
Is there anyplace in the states that sells/ships this? I just see places in Australia and Phillipines?
Check out the Dr Roller on eBay.

aussiedave said:
I started needling 2 months ago....nothing, nil, zip.....I'll keep trying.
What size needles are you using?

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know... .75mm should go all the way through the epidermis to touch the dermis. Any deeper and you're seriously digging into your dermis.