Skin Needling

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, my Novaderm Scalp and Skin Roller got here a few days ago. I have used it one time per day for the last 3 days. Holy crap Batman, it hurts like hell! No way I can do 3 minutes of rolling like they suggested. By the time I've spent 30 seconds rolling my thinning areas, it hurts so bad that I have to stop.

Today I applied Folligen after rolling and yeah, that burned like crazy! I'm going to roll every day though. I believe starting tomorrow, I'm going to roll and apply minoxidil foam afterward at night.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the benefit of collagen is to hair loss, but I started using topical ascorbic acid today because people are talking about it. Do they think collagen might help just because retin-A works?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to picking up my minoxidil foam from the post office yesterday. I rolled this morning and applied foam right after...Then rolled again. Reason is, the directions with the Scalp/Skin Roller say to roll before minoxidil. But the Dermaroller says to roll after minoxidil application. So I did both just to cover all bases.

I've got to say, minoxidil foam is great. Applied it and it smelled good, wasn't greasy and was dry in about 30 seconds. It makes it much easier to apply Hydrocortisone and Emu oil when the minoxidil is actually dry.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why are you applying hydrocortisone?
If you are how long do you plan to do so?

Are you aware that long term use can retard growth?

It should really be use for inflammatory purposes not suspected inflammatory purposes. Ie: hairloss is an infammatory process etc.
For instance my Doctor prescribed it for 10 days post op in my donor area to reduce the swelling that resulted from the surgery.

How come you dont have saw palmetto 600mg +/day to your arsenal?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
why are you applying hydrocortisone?
If you are how long do you plan to do so?

Are you aware that long term use can retard growth?

It should really be use for inflammatory purposes not suspected inflammatory purposes. Ie: hairloss is an infammatory process etc.
For instance my Doctor prescribed it for 10 days post op in my donor area to reduce the swelling that resulted from the surgery.

How come you dont have saw palmetto 600mg +/day to your arsenal?

Why should I add Saw P when I'm on dutasteride?

I've been applying HydroC for about 2 months off and on now. I apply it because I believe that micro inflammation is part of the balding process. Once it's gone, I'm going to try Clobetasol Propionate for a few weeks.

Long term use of HydroC can retard the growth of what? So long as I don't have any sides from it, I'm going to keep on using it...Besides, it's not anymore dangerous than anything else I use.

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
i just took an eraser, cut a bunch of thumb tack things for the needles, and hammerd them into the eraser, thanks for the idea!

used it, the needles go in like the first layer of skin, makes a little poping sound, kinda painfull at first, but i get used to it.

gona use this daily,

THFC

Reaction score
ok...well i do not believe it is actually helping with the absorbtion...i say this because i have been needling for about 9 months now..without any topicals..and i have had decent regrowth...i think it may be more to do with either more oxgen to the site..or break up of fibrosis...or the collagen factor...and yes it can be paniful...but u do get used to it..and once u start seeing results..its very hard to give it up!..anyway good luck to anyone trying it

IBM

Reaction score
THFC said:
ok...well i do not believe it is actually helping with the absorbtion...i say this because i have been needling for about 9 months now..without any topicals..and i have had decent regrowth...i think it may be more to do with either more oxgen to the site..or break up of fibrosis...or the collagen factor...and yes it can be paniful...but u do get used to it..and once u start seeing results..its very hard to give it up!..anyway good luck to anyone trying it

Do you have pics of your regrowth. And how much do you needle?

THFC

Reaction score
no sorry...i dnt have any pics. To be honest the needling is kinda inconsistant now...i do it when i rememebr to do it!...sometimes il forget and wont do it for a coulpe of weeks,other times i will do it 3/4 times a week. Il be honest..you have to be patient..very patient...and u really need to get up close to the mirror to see any signs of vellus growth...if you are going to do this..then you really really need to be patient..u cannot do it for a few weeks,n think..right nothing has happened this is crap..it will take months for you to see anything.

I dnt use a dermroller..i use just a normal needle..which i disinfect before i use it

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What kind of needle are you using?

And how deep are you going in?

THFC

Reaction score
no...i stopped fluridil ages ago...an expensive mistake!....would not go back there!. Appart from the needling...i take 3000g of fish oil,and 1000g of borage oil daily along with a multi vit...i also eat less then 20gof sugar a day (which is difficult to maintain!)...and just healthy food beside them..wholemeal instead of white bread, dnt drink carbonated drinks..n so on (which was very difficult too!)...and i also do not smoke or drink. I found the fish oils to give my hair a shine...reflectsalot of light..so is harder for pople to notice thinning, then if hair was dull.....i did use MSM years ago..and it really sped up the growth of my hair..i have re-ordered it..as im hoping it will speed up the growth of the vellus hairs,and those hairs just turning into 'normal' hairs...as like i have said..you really really need to be patient....oooh and as for shampoo i use ginger shampoo from bodyshop...had a veryitchy scap..nizoral..and t-gel..and all them other known brands of shampoo didnt help at all...with the ginger root shampoo...it gets rid of my itch..andi use it everyday without myhair drying out...which was a big problem with other shampoo's...especially nizoral!

The needle i use is just your normal small needle...i dnt know how else to descrube it...its about an inch long..and il be honest...when i do it..i just needle what i think i need to needle...i draw a little blood...it doesnt go down too deap..but deep enough to draw a little blood....i always use a disinfectant on the needle, and on the skin that im going to needle before,and then after needle....basically the skin is much more tender then it used to be in these area's aswell.

I dnt know if i would call this a miracle way of getting regrowth...but to be honest..this and a bit of hydrocortisone cream are the only things that have worked for me..and ive been on rogain,propecia, Saw plamento...blah blah..fluridil...u name it..ive tried it...ooh thats not to forget my laser brush! lol.....

anyway...so yes thats that...remember it will hurt a fair bit the first few times..and you wil think...s**t i cnt keep doing this..its too much pain...but u do get used to it..and if you stick it out...i really honestly do believeyou will see results..and again remember...it will take take..you have to be verypatient with this thing....perhaps if you are already on MSMit will speed up the whole process for you..i do not know.

But if your going to give this a go...then goodluck :)

avi21

Established Member
Reaction score
sounds very intersting can someone post a pic of the eraser with the needles

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
This makes sense.. wounding causes new hair growth... some people were trying this here I think and disappeared!

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
nobody around here is trying this? Does it mean it was only a fad or did it actually work well enough that people doing it became all hairy and forgot about this site? :lol:

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
nobody around here is trying this? Does it mean it was only a fad or did it actually work well enough that people doing it became all hairy and forgot about this site? :lol:

I would comment at great length, but it probably would just be a waste of my time. I've pretty much given up on this place, WAY too much chaff and not enough wheat. Though ask me if needling still works for me, and my answer would be in earnest an unequivocal YES. It worked so well, in fact, in combination with a few other things, to the point where I no longer even think about hairloss daily.

avi21

Established Member
Reaction score
i took a two 1 mm needels and i tapping the temples for 1 minute and apply foam right after

i hope it's will work...

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
mulder said:

I would comment at great length, but it probably would just be a waste of my time. I've pretty much given up on this place, WAY too much chaff and not enough wheat. Though ask me if needling still works for me, and my answer would be in earnest an unequivocal YES. It worked so well, in fact, in combination with a few other things, to the point where I no longer even think about hairloss daily.

Hey Joe,

Can you describe your needling approach in more detail? I'm quite curious about this and really want to give it a try- a seen quite a number of people claiming some very dramatic success with this approach and it makes some sense that it would be effective in stimulating hair growth for some. Did you just use this approach on your bald or hair line areas, or did you get success in thickening up diffuse thinning as well? How often do you think you need to do it? How deep do you go? Do you think the novaderm roller would be as effective as just needling?
Sorry about asking so many questions just would like to get as much info about this as possible and give it a go.