Skin molecules that cause baldness identified.

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
It turns out that when it comes to growing hair that’s stopped growing, and stopping hair from growing where people don’t want it, the same molecules in the human body are at play, according to a new study from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
Researchers writing in the journal Cell Stem Cell this month say that balding is caused by the protein inhibitor Dkk1, which stops the intracellular Wnt/β-catenin pathway from functioning properly. They further found that stem cells for dormant hair follicles are still maintained after balding begins. When Dkk1 is removed, the Wnt/β-catenin pathway resumes normal function, stem cells were activated, and hair growth is restored.
Another important point in the study was when researchers unexpectedly discovered that the hair-creating cell pathway is also normally active in non-hairy regions, such as on the palms of hands, soles of feet and the tongue, as well as between hair follicles on the surface of the skin. This finding is consistent with previous results showing that removing β-catenin can prevent the growth of skin tumours.
“While more research is needed to improve our understanding of this pathway, our results suggest that therapeutics capable of decreasing levels of Wnt/β-catenin signalling in the skin could potentially be used to block growth of unwanted hair, and/or to treat certain skin tumours,” said senior author Sarah Millar, PhD, professor in the departments of Dermatology and of Cell and Developmental Biology. “Conversely, if delivered in a limited, safe and controlled way, agents that activate Wnt signalling might be used to promote hair growth in dormant hair follicles in conditions such as male pattern baldness.” http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/1...hers-discover-ways-to-disrupt-both-processes/

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wonder what is the relation between Dkk1, prostaglandin (e.g PGD2), and DHT. Aren't they supposed to discuss that?
Also I wouldn't put hope on this line of research, given the propensity of Wnt to lead to tumours I don't think the FDA will approve anything of that sort without a long term safety study (you would think).

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder what is the relation between Dkk1, prostaglandin (e.g PGD2), and DHT. Aren't they supposed to discuss that?
Also I wouldn't put hope on this line of research, given the propensity of Wnt to lead to tumours I don't think the FDA will approve anything of that sort without a long term safety study (you would think).
that's what I want to know. And when is this going to be a cure or a better treatment.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
It turns out that when it comes to growing hair that’s stopped growing, and stopping hair from growing where people don’t want it, the same molecules in the human body are at play, according to a new study from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
Researchers writing in the journal Cell Stem Cell this month say that balding is caused by the protein inhibitor Dkk1, which stops the intracellular Wnt/β-catenin pathway from functioning properly. They further found that stem cells for dormant hair follicles are still maintained after balding begins. When Dkk1 is removed, the Wnt/β-catenin pathway resumes normal function, stem cells were activated, and hair growth is restored.
Another important point in the study was when researchers unexpectedly discovered that the hair-creating cell pathway is also normally active in non-hairy regions, such as on the palms of hands, soles of feet and the tongue, as well as between hair follicles on the surface of the skin. This finding is consistent with previous results showing that removing β-catenin can prevent the growth of skin tumours.
“While more research is needed to improve our understanding of this pathway, our results suggest that therapeutics capable of decreasing levels of Wnt/β-catenin signalling in the skin could potentially be used to block growth of unwanted hair, and/or to treat certain skin tumours,” said senior author Sarah Millar, PhD, professor in the departments of Dermatology and of Cell and Developmental Biology. “Conversely, if delivered in a limited, safe and controlled way, agents that activate Wnt signalling might be used to promote hair growth in dormant hair follicles in conditions such as male pattern baldness.” http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/1...hers-discover-ways-to-disrupt-both-processes/

it fits in my theory, no sebum no growth of hairs...., in sole of feet and palms of hands don't exist sebaceous glands, then no sebum.... and no hair despite the appropiate biochemical system in this zone.

K

karankaran

"DKK1 is one of the most upregulated genes in androgen-potentiated balding, with DKK-1messenger RNA upregulated a few hours after DHT treatment of hair follicles at the dermal papilla in vitro. Neutralizing body against DKK-1 reversed DHT effects on outer root sheath keratinocytes.DKK-1 expression is attenuated by L-threonate in vitro, with the latter a metabolite of ascorbate."

Homie

Reaction score
Thanks DesperateOne. This falls into that category of expensive crap I might have tried years ago. But now? No way. Not until the cost is right. :p

Thanks!

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Back DesperateOne.. How's things?
Not good, but I had been analyzing why I lost so much when I was seeing so much improvement and I think the answer was Cet. I was seeing some great results and got greedy and started to add Cet but only used it like 3 times. I think that's why my hair went to ****. I did the same mistake before and it did grow back but I don't know about this time.

Have been keeping track on site now and then hoping to see a breakthrough.

theRA

Established Member
Reaction score
Not good, but I had been analyzing why I lost so much when I was seeing so much improvement and I think the answer was Cet. I was seeing some great results and got greedy and started to add Cet but only used it like 3 times. I think that's why my hair went to ****. I did the same mistake before and it did grow back but I don't know about this time.

so you wouldnt recommend topical cet? :)

ganonford

Established Member
Reaction score

I think last year some guys on cet reported brutal sheds during the first weeks (but they all recovered)... But just after using it for three times?... and I'm just thinking about adding it to my regimen...

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
I think last year some guys on cet reported brutal sheds during the first weeks (but they all recovered)... But just after using it for three times?... and I'm just thinking about adding it to my regimen...

Well it was about 3-5 times, can't remember exactly. I think I mixed it incorctly or applied way too much at first but if any of you starts using Cet I advice to stay on it or don't use it at all. It maybe something else but I think that was the reason for me.

I have been also using topical calcipotriol found here
http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-1004-daivonex-ointment-50mcg-30g.aspx
For about 1 1/2 months, hoping to see some results soon.

Homie

Reaction score
DesperateOne, what is cet, and what is the theory behind it working? Same latter question for calcipotriol.

Thanks!

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
DesperateOne, what is cet, and what is the theory behind it working? Same latter question for calcipotriol.

Thanks!

CET is Cetirizine, supposedly a PGD2 inhibitor that can be found in items like Claritin. PGD2 news was huge last year when Dr. Cotsarelis said it played a major factor in hair loss and gave his regular bullsh*t response of a 2 year timeline for a product that would tackle the PGD2 issue. It's not the first time he said something like that either, back in late 2010 he mentioned 'within a few years' for another treatment (video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLaMBHIdBs). Well, its been more than a few years and we got jacksh*t.

Don't bet on CET. If the stuff worked as well as it was hyped up, we'd have some solid success stories in the past year. We have none.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
CET will maintain and grow fuzzies...but it doesn't tackle the root of the problem, just some of the symptoms...

...when hair grows, it grows aggressively....my bet is that when THE trigger is found, hair will start to regrow fast...that's why all these solutions that take time just aren't getting to the root of the problem and we never get thick regrowth