Six's Story - (Age 17, balding like crazy. pics.)

Six

Reaction score
TheLastHairbender said:
man, you're all good! in the direct light pic you have a great looking head.

Hair loss or not, you have a solid dome. You've got the perfect cut for it, you're not thinning in any one place or in a well-defined pattern, you look totally fine and you should enjoy the hell out of that last year of high school. Don't even think about it one bit. I'm sure I overlook guys hair loss like yours all the time...kept buzzed like that you really can't tell unless you have fuzz only in the horseshoe pattern which you don't, and other people really aren't as alert to male pattern baldness in high school as they are in their late 20's and on. To me, you would pass under the radar 100% unless I was really examining your head. (Not saying it's not male pattern baldness, you should definitely stick with a treatment plan and talk to your Doctor about finasteride and/or topical spironolactone use, but definitely don't let it affect how much fun you're having this year - you only live once, male pattern baldness or not!)
thanks man, that's good to hear

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Don't expect immediate results, you haven't been on finasteride too long. Give it a few more months before you can really tell if it is going to work or not.

You definitely don't look terrible with thinning hair. Some people look awful, you pull it off pretty well. That's a plus if finasteride\minoxidil doesn't work well for you (but hope it does!!)

It really sucks to have to go through this at such a young age. I'm in my early 20s and it still seems too early to have to go through it. Makes you feel kinda envious of those people who don't start balding til their 30s or later.

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
The bright side is that the young body is much more likely to regrow hair than one in its mid-30s, so get on the right treatment plan now and you could actually be in much better position in your mid-30s than those who are just starting to show balding. I'm just realizing this now as finasteride is making my hair grow like a chia pet at 26 (well, relative to my own expectations at least).

Six

Reaction score
Well school started and I'm getting sh*t from some people but it's my last year and I'll be out of here in nine months. I'll be joining the Airforce, and with my sign-on bonus, which should be around $20,000 - $40,000 (the job that I'm looking at is pretty huge) I've decided to start looking at getting a transplant. It's only an idea. I know the treatment I'm on now shouldn't be kicking in yet, but there's no way I'm going to be buying this medicine for the rest of my life.

I'll keep you guys updated in case I notice any changes.

Six

Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
SIX

A hair transplant is a last resort. Even in the future you decide too have one, you would still have to take finasteride and MINOXIDIL to maintain your existing hair and your new hair. It sucks does'nt it!
I didn't know that. That's pretty discouraging.
Captain Combover said:
MINOXIDIL is a pain in the butt to have to apply twice per day, but if you wear your hair short like you do, then it's no different too shampooing everyday.
Just my observation, if you grew your hair 30mm-50mm long, i doubt anyone at school would know you are balding, only someone who is suffering from male pattern baldness (with a carefully trained eye would know).
It's not about having to apply it, though it is very inconvenient. It's mainly the cost, and the fact that it's pissing off my parents. They think I'm wasting my money and now that I have another case of minoxidil on the way, I don't know how they're going to react.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about your parents, they rarely understand.

I'm in my mid twenties (so really down to me what I do with my hair right!) yet my parents totally freaked out and were really unsupportive when I shaved my head even though it was bleedingly obvious I did it because of my hairloss (and jesus it actually suited me really well!)

If I told them about my treatments I know they wouldn't approve. (Luckily I don't live with them so I don't have to).

It's your head, you get to choose what to do about it. Just try to avoid conflict wherever possible, the quiet life is always better :)

Six

Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
but bear in mind they might think that all hair loss treatments are hocus pocus and don't wont u wasting your money on them.
Yeah that's what they said. I've started shedding a bit. Hopefully this means it's working but damn this sucks.

Six

Reaction score
Well it's been about six months. I haven't been updating because I haven't noticed any improvements. In fact, it seems to have only gotten worse. I have some pics here.

img20120129135911.jpg

img20120207080940.jpg

img20120207194325.jpg

img20120129135858.jpg

img20120207194311.jpg

img20120129135929.jpg

img20120129135851.jpg

The diffusion all over my scalp has gotten worse, that's for sure. I'm thinking I'll just buy one more bottle of minoxidil and if I don't see any changes, I'm done. I feel like I've wasted my money. Could you guys recommend me anything else or am I screwed?

pets93

Reaction score
Based upon those last pictures I have to say it looks very good. To me it doesn't look like you are thinning. There's nothing wrong with your hairline niether.

I think you should continue with your treatments if you're not having any side-effects.

Six

Reaction score
pets93 said:
Based upon those last pictures I have to say it looks very good. To me it doesn't look like you are thinning. There's nothing wrong with your hairline niether.

I think you should continue with your treatments if you're not having any side-effects.

I think I just need a better camera than this 3.2MP camera phone. People are always pointing it out to me that I'm "going bald" or "gonna be bald soon."

magid

Reaction score
im in the same situation as u, almost identical. same age, same treatment, same result.

trust me on this, get hair fibers, and stop shaving your head.

u can scrap the minoxidil and put the money towards the fixers. if your keeping your hair shorter just get toppik, if youre growing it longer (which i suggest) get some dermmatch as well and slightly touch up the hairline at temple area and apply toppik as needed.

trust me, you'll love the results, and no more need to shave ur head

Six

Reaction score
magid said:
im in the same situation as u, almost identical. same age, same treatment, same result.

trust me on this, get hair fibers, and stop shaving your head.

u can scrap the minoxidil and put the money towards the fixers. if your keeping your hair shorter just get toppik, if youre growing it longer (which i suggest) get some dermmatch as well and slightly touch up the hairline at temple area and apply toppik as needed.

trust me, you'll love the results, and no more need to shave ur head

I never really considered hair fibers. Do they really work well? I'll look into them.

Captain Combover said:
SIX

Its difficult to say whether your hair looks worse now than what it did 6mths ago. As your hair is completely buzzed at the moment.
If you grew your hair to the length you had it in your original PICS, im pretty sure it will look like you have had some modest gains. Remember maintaining is a success.
One interesting factor is your head in the front 2/3rds looks very solid.
If you could take some PICS in the same position as when you took your original ones it will allow for better judgement.

Haha I don't really want to grow my hair out anymore than it is now. High school kids can be pretty cruel so I try to keep it as unnoticeable as possible. I'm pretty sure that if i had any gains at all I would have noticed it but it really just looks worse. I'll get some more pics real quick.

Six

Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
SIX

Its difficult to say whether your hair looks worse now than what it did 6mths ago. As your hair is completely buzzed at the moment.
If you grew your hair to the length you had it in your original PICS, im pretty sure it will look like you have had some modest gains. Remember maintaining is a success.
One interesting factor is your head in the front 2/3rds looks very solid.
If you could take some PICS in the same position as when you took your original ones it will allow for better judgement.

Unfortunately it's way too dim in here and my head is freshly buzzed so I can't get a good picture at the moment.

Six

Reaction score
Here are some better pictures, hopefully. I let my hair grow out a little.
img20120214220434.jpg

img20120214220439.jpg

img20120214220509.jpg

img20120214220613.jpg

img20120214220636.jpg

And this is buzzed down all the way.

img20120217193643.jpg

My main problem is the contrast between the hair on my vertex and the hair on the back and sides of my head.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
To me it looks like male pattern baldness has progressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
diffused thinning is not part of male pattern baldness... it is usually a response from a hormonal imbalance. finasteride might have messed up your hormones

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Geez, I started losing at 14 and although my recession is worse than yours I've not faced any thinning yet. I really don't want to be worrying about hairloss at my age so I'm getting MHT as soon as I have the cash. I've always hated my hair anyway so the shaved option is great for me (not with this hairline though.)

Six

Reaction score
2020 said:
diffused thinning is not part of male pattern baldness... it is usually a response from a hormonal imbalance. finasteride might have messed up your hormones

that's just terrific. Great.

stableforehead said:
Geez, I started losing at 14 and although my recession is worse than yours I've not faced any thinning yet. I really don't want to be worrying about hairloss at my age so I'm getting MHT as soon as I have the cash. I've always hated my hair anyway so the shaved option is great for me (not with this hairline though.)

I guess I've got a plan now too. I'll get on toppik for now, then when my hairline gets too far back I'll get myself a MHT. I see no other option. This sucks.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Six said:
I guess I've got a plan now too. I'll get on toppik for now, then when my hairline gets too far back I'll get myself a MHT. I see no other option. This sucks.

Although it was a last resort for me at first, as we have limited options at our age, I'm actually excited about MHT now; I've done photoshop mockups and really think I suit a shaved head with a decent hairline. HIS provide some amazing results:

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Six said:
2020 said:

that's just terrific. Great.

huh?? What I said is true: diffuse thinning is not part of male pattern baldness