Show me proof dutasteride is better than finasteride

Jls008

Reaction score
I am 45 and have been fighting hairloss for 15 years with finasteride and minoxidil. I have read dozens of posts over the years from members complaining that the finasteride is not effective and deciding to implement dutasteride. Other than one or two posts over the years, I have never seen a post with pictures where someone failing on finasteride meaningfully improved with dutasteride. I want to end this discussion/debate now. Can anyone show a picture of results on finasteride and better results after adding or replacing it with dutasteride? Anyone? If not, then it is time to accept that despite the one study people keep pointing to, in the real world, dutasteride adds nothing.

Jls008

Reaction score
I have seen that study. Means nothing. Studies are out there that show every element, shampoo, herb etc. grows hair--all of which we know do not work. Again, if dutasteride is the best of what is out there, it should be easy for 3 members to show pictures of improvement when finasteride failed. Over 10 years, 3 forums, I have seen 2 such pictures. I have seen more picture of results on viviscal and revivogen, which we know do not work.

Jls008

Reaction score
Wrong. Look at page 2. He was never on finasteride. Went right to dutasteride. This should be easy for forum members if it is so successful....

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride at 0.5mg taken daily removes 98-99% of DHT from 5ar-2 and about 50% of DHT from 5ar-1.
Finasteride at 5mg taken daily removes 85-90% of DHT from 5ar-2 and about 1% of DHT from 5ar-1.
Therefore, Dutasteride is logically the more effective of the two as a treatment for male pattern baldness, as has been demonstrated in every male pattern baldness study that has compared the efficacy of the two 5-ar inhibitors.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There have been enough scientific studies done that shows dutasteride is more effective than finasteride. These studies do not have photos so what you ask is not out there. That doesn't mean it isn't true. If someone is on finasteride and it doesn't work then dutasteride may not work either. That doesn't prove it is the case with everyone. This is why a scientific study with hundred of patients is done to get an overall percentage of who benefits.

There is a large difference between finasteride and placebo, and a smaller difference between dutasteride and finasteride. However dutasteride shows more hair growth than finasteride.

If finasteride is not working then dutasteride may work, and if it doesn't you may need a higher dose than normally prescribed. It is all in the studies.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I no longer believe dutasteride is better than finasteride as a whole. Sure, for those not responding on finasteride, it may be more effective at maintaining hair. But for the majority responding on finasteride, I haven't seen dutasteride give a cosmetic benefit over the finasteride.

Also at 6 months dutasteride grew more hair than finasteride but it was an insignificant amount. By 12 months the gap was narrowing. I reckon dutasteride gives faster results but over time they both level out in terms of regrowth.

dutasteride is a possible better maintainer for those not responding on finasteride. If you are responding on finasteride and your DHT is kept below the "genetic threshold" of miniaturisation, you probably won't get benefit on dutasteride.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I no longer believe dutasteride is better than finasteride as a whole. Sure, for those not responding on finasteride, it may be more effective at maintaining hair. But for the majority responding on finasteride, I haven't seen dutasteride give a cosmetic benefit over the finasteride.

Also at 6 months dutasteride grew more hair than finasteride but it was an insignificant amount. By 12 months the gap was narrowing. I reckon dutasteride gives faster results but over time they both level out in terms of regrowth.

dutasteride is a possible better maintainer for those not responding on finasteride. If you are responding on finasteride and your DHT is kept below the "genetic threshold" of miniaturisation, you probably won't get benefit on dutasteride.
I agree. I added dutasteride along with finasteride and it did not help much so I stopped it. I did get more sides when on it. I saw a thread on here where it actually made a guy's hair worse at the front. And besides neither of them are considered growth stimulants like Minoxidil.

Jls008

Reaction score
I agree. I added dutasteride along with finasteride and it did not help much so I stopped it. I did get more sides when on it. I saw a thread on here where it actually made a guy's hair worse at the front. And besides neither of them are considered growth stimulants like Minoxidil.

Thank you for everyone's comments. The point of this thread is to try to impart some more reality into the issue of what works and what does not. No one over many years has been able to present a picture of dutasteride helping when finasteride did not. If it did, the forum would be flooded with such success stories. It is a shame because, in theory, it should help. I think we should assume that while dutasteride may provide better initial results, once finasteride stops working, dutasteride is not going to be a savior.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Ahh., nothing like waking up to the smell of rotting reality in the morning.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we should assume that while dutasteride may provide better initial results, once finasteride stops working, dutasteride is not going to be a savior.

You can assume that but I won't. One guy says he went on dutasteride and had higher side effects, maybe that shows it works better and is stronger?

A guy switches from finasteride to dutasteride and sees his hair get worse? What does this prove? Maybe the dutasteride caused a new shed of weak hair that would have grown back stronger had he stayed on it, but no it was assumed dutasteride made his hair worse. I thought finasteride made hair worse too before it gets better, guess nobody should go on finasteride then either.

This is why they do controlled studies on these drugs. Had this guy been in a study he would not have known what he was taking so couldn't have assumed anything. BTW why do people think while on finasteride if they add dutasteride the finasteride still matters?

Anyway sorry for the rant, that is all, haha.

In theory in a perfect world these drugs should place the male and female at the same level as hair loss goes. females still have hair loss so males would too. Anyone expecting to never have hair loss again on dutasteride or finasteride long-long-term are dreaming.