Saw Palmetto, and other vitamins

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
THis is exactly what I'm talking about. Most of those who claim they've seen results are taking other products as well. That's not good enough.
Those threads are lame at best.
There's NO hard evidence that SP works so why waste time with the chance that it most likely will not work.
Time wasted=More hair lost forever.

Snipes

Reaction score
Saw Palmetto is the best thing that i have used for hairloss...I went through a very bad shed for six weeks when I started but now 6 months down the track my hair has thickened up nicely. I started taking finasteride also but have just dropped it as my temples started heading north real quick. I would say saw palmetto is the backbone of my regimen and i cant wait for the next six months to see some serious regrowth

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
again several other items are being used
saw p
nettles
pygeum
finasteride
b12
b6
l-lysine
msm
nizoral
jason t2t

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
he's not using finasteride .. the results could have been from the rest. So BHD are you saying that things like nettles or pygeum are contributing to his maintance/regrowth?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride was working for him in the beginning, because he went through a shed, and that's the first stage of regrowth. Now he's probably regrowing what he shed, which is normal, with or without sp.

Snipes

Reaction score
Thats true BHD but I wasnt using anything else but saw Palmetto for the first 2 months and after my shed of six weeks my hairloss stopped almost completely, from seeing 20-30 hairs on my pillow in the morning to about 2-5.

Im sure the pygeum and nettles increase the efficacy of the Saw p, plus the other minerals and vitamins have helped as well.

Certain people react differently to different treatments...I'm obviously a good responder to saw p.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
We anxiously await photographs showing your results from Saw Palmetto.

And I agree with what the person above said. Dropping finasteride because of a shed was most illogical, especially considering you stuck with Saw Palmetto through a shed.

Interesting thought process...

And yes, hair still grows and sheds in cycles, even when on Saw Palmetto, so the true test will be how you're doing after 1 to 2 years... not how you're doing in 6 months, a typical Hair Cycle timeframe.

Snipes said:
Im sure the pygeum and nettles increase the efficacy of the Saw p, plus the other minerals and vitamins have helped as well
It's called Andro Genetic Alopecia, not Vito Nutrio Alopecia.

In any case, consider how groundbreaking this could be. You would be the first person on the planet to actually provide photographic evidence of Saw Palmetto and Vitamin Cocktail efficacy for hair loss, proving researchers and scientists wrong worldwide.

Surely you have photos?

HairLossTalk.com

Snipes

Reaction score
Ok, Im not sure why I am getting attacked like this. Im not posting on here to try and prove anything, all I can offer is my experience and thats what I'm doing. If you dont want to believe me thats fine with me, but to all those users who have an open mind about treating their hairloss, saw palmetto has worked for me. I saw my mother the other day for the first time in a while and the first thing she said was, hey whats going on, its looks like you have more hair on your head. As long I keep getting comments like that and I feel good about my hair I dont really care what the "scientists" have to say about saw Palmetto. If I had had a bad experience with the stuff I would tell you. But the fact is, its working, and if my hair turns to sh*t in the next 6-12 months I will make sure you hear about. But as I said all I can offer is my experience so far.

I dont have photos unfortunately but I'm telling the truth, Im not into giving false hope and I certainly have no financial gain to make out this.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're not getting attacked. You stated a view, and others are showing why that view has little or no credibility. If you're going to state a view with absolutely no evidence to support it, others should and will question it, if for no reason other than so that you don't lead other people astray. If you can't defend a view, don't state it.

You are using a whole bunch of stuff, yet you attribute your results to sp alone. Why?

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Could try it topically... (oh and I added emphasis to "may" at the bottom just to pre-empt any cheeky replies)

"A study was conducted using 48 men and women with age-related baldness. Half of the subjects received a lotion containing saw palmetto while the other half of the group received a lotion without the herb (control group). Subjects were instructed to apply the lotion to their scalp two times a day for 50 weeks. Hair density was measured using a standardized instrument at the beginning of the study and after the 50-week period".

"After 50 weeks, subjects using the lotion with saw palmetto had an average 27% increase in hair density in comparison to their density at the beginning of the study. The subjects in the control group showed only a 13% increase in hair density. The researchers concluded that based on the results saw palmetto may be helpful in the treatment of age-related hair loss.
"
http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/a ... 7&code=AOL

Saw Palmetto is also used topically in Revivogen, Folligen and Crinagen so it must be of some use, no? If not, whats it doing in these topical solutions at all?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Id like to see the whole study, like who conducted it. Were the subjects using any other products. Was it a double blind study.
All those products you mentioned that have SP in it are NOT FDA approved to regrow hair either.
HairLossTalk.com emailed Revivogen about the SP in their product and they replied that it's only in there for marketing purposes.
Honestly dude...Id love to believe that SP works for hair loss but I still haven't read or seen anything that leads me to believe it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
Saw Palmetto is also used topically in Revivogen, Folligen and Crinagen so it must be of some use, no? If not, whats it doing in these topical solutions at all?
Because some people believe it works, it doesn't hurt, and that belief generates higher sales while not comprosing the effectiveness, safety or cost of the product.

Busines 101.

That being said, even if sp works topically, there is no evidence that it works taken orally. I took it for years, still do for prostate reasons; my hair loss continued at exactly the same pace as it when I was not taking it. I got on minoxidil, Nizoral, dutasteride and Tricomin, and within six weeks my rate of hair loss has dropped dramatically. Now at eight weeks, I have somewhat better scalp coverage (due to thicker hair, I believe, not regrowth yet) and vellus hairs on my hairline and temples.

Snipes

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
You're not getting attacked. You stated a view, and others are showing why that view has little or no credibility. If you're going to state a view with absolutely no evidence to support it, others should and will question it, if for no reason other than so that you don't lead other people astray. If you can't defend a view, don't state it.

You are using a whole bunch of stuff, yet you attribute your results to sp alone. Why?

So does that mean whenever I post my results and experience with treatments on here I have to back it up with a thousand double blind studies and an album full of photos so you guys will believe me? I think not. After all, isnt this the UNPROVEN and EXPERIMENTAL treatment forum. Therefore I imagine most people reading here are looking for alternative methods and are willing to take treatments that are not always scientifically proven.

I mentioned before that I believe the other stuff I'm taking besides Saw Palmetto, is helping too. But the subject of this thread is Saw Palmetto and since I believe it to be the greatest asset in my regimen I have only talked it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How about backing it up with one study? That would be good enough. I don't care what forum this is, if you're going to make claims, back them up. If you're going to make crazy assertions, such as one part of your regimen is responsible for regrowth when you're taking several things, then expect skepticism. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that your'e so defensive is telling in itself.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
How about just two pictures. One before and one after?

HairLossTalk.com

Snipes

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
How about backing it up with one study? That would be good enough. I don't care what forum this is, if you're going to make claims, back them up. If you're going to make crazy assertions, such as one part of your regimen is responsible for regrowth when you're taking several things, then expect skepticism. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that your'e so defensive is telling in itself.

I'm not going to search all over the internet to try and find a study that supports my results to just to satisfy a minority, I have better things to do. I've already done my due diligence on saw palmetto and was willing to take a risk, and that risk happened to pay off for me. I think the little blue writing at the bottom of every post on this forum sums it up beautifully. Anyway, I see the proof everytime I look in the mirror, and if you dont want to believe my honest results thats cool with me.

You might think I'm being defensive but in reality Im just very perplexed at your attempts to discredit my results and your demands for proof. I've posted my results on the general discussion section on other forums, only to receive replies of encouragement and constructive questions regarding my regimen. It just seems odd to me that I have to reference and prove my results, especially on an unproven and experimental forum.

Wish I did take photos HairLossTalk.com, I just didnt realise I would have to prove my experience to the rest of the world.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not denying your results. I'm denying your explanation for them. You're asserting that A caused B, when there were a whole host of prior events (all the things you were taking) that logically could have caused B. You're simply making a logical error, and that's the part I'm calling into question. The particular logical fallacy that you're committing is debunked in pretty much all introductory logic classes. It goes by the latin name post hoc ergo prompter hoc.

You can look that up on the internet if you wish.

Snipes

Reaction score
Well I'm not interested in learning latin so I think I'll leave it here. We could go on rebutting each other forever and never get anywhere, so I'll save myself the time and effort.

I wish you all the best in your fight against hairloss

Kind regards

Snipes