Saw Palmetto, and other vitamins

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The fallacy means that just because B follows A chronologically, the assumption (without proof) is that A causes B. That's the fallacy, and that's what the latin (roughly) means. Sound familiar?

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about biotin as a hair loss supplement?

On the one hand there is this study (albeit old one) confirming a beneficial effect on hair

Authors: Floersheim GL.

Institution: Dermatologie FMH, Rennweg 15,CH-4052 Basel; Switzerland.

Title: An examination of the effect of biotin on alopecia and hair quality.
Source: Zeitschrift fur Hautkrankheiten. Vol 67(3) (pp 246-252+255), 1992.

"Abstract: The effect of a daily oral dose of 2,5 mg biotin was studied in 93 patients with the symptoms hair-loss (mostly androgenetic alopecia) and reduced hair quality. The mean duration of treatment was 7,9 +/- 2,8 months. An obvious improvement of hair-loss was reported in 64%, and a slight improvement in 9%. Hair quality was clearly improved in 70% and slightly in 12%...The study suggest biotin as an effective and well tolerated therapy in cases of alopecia and decreased hair quality."

On the other hand Dr.Sawaya concludes that biotin "...may not hurt you, but I doubt it will really help you".

I am thinking about starting 2.5mg biotin and 100mg B6 (in vitro study found that B6 decreased the responsiveness of cells to various steroids, including androgens).

haymes

Reaction score
Actually a good point is being raised here. Why would someone have to prove SP to work to use it? If he or she believes it is working, and has had good results, then why now. Remember, it is being added, especially to topicals. I am using Revivogen and SP interntally as well as minoxidil and biotin. At the very least, I am helping my prostate health, and that is proven.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
B Complex vitamins. They're at your local grocery store. They help, but don't take too many, especially with red bull.

haymes

Reaction score
2 pills standardized saw palmetto, twice per day, Minoxidil twice a day topically of course, rub it into needy areas especially, 2000mcg Biotin, multivitamin, 1000mg Ester C, and drink plent of red wine, or make sure you take grapeseed extract twice per day. Revivogen before bed. Additional supplements for overall health, fish oil 3 times a day, glucosamine twice per day or equivalent. After 7 months, I am very very suprised at my wonderful results, especially in the frontal area.