Saw Palmetto, A Weak Finasteride, Studies And My Experience.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done a decent amount of research on Saw Palmetto, I've concluded that it's a weak 5ar inhibitor about half as effective as finasteride for both reducing DHT and halting hair loss. It may be worthwhile for people who got sides from finasteride (like myself).

Although it should be noted that sides are also possible from SP although I'd reckon about half as likely and half as strong. (Complete guess but all studies so far have shown less sides than finasteride)

I take 320mg 90% fatty acids and sterols everyday for 3 months. So far I've noticed decreased shedding (could be completely minoxidil related started both at the same time) and an increased libido. I will post back at the year mark!

It was used as a treatment for BPH, which is what finasteride was developed for. There are studies in vitro and studies on people showing that it inhibits DHT and helps with BPH and male pattern baldness.

Two year study, oral SP compared with finasteride.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298508

>assessing usage of 320mg saw palmetto over the course of two years in otherwise healthy men with male pattern baldness noted that 38% of subjects treated with saw palmetto reported an increase in hair growth which performed less effectively than 1mg finasteride (66%);

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12006122

>The liposterolic extract of saw palmetto (200mg of 85-95% liposterolic content) paired with 50mg β-sitosterol and some B-vitamins (Biotin at 100mcg and niacin at 15mg) in 10 otherwise healthy men with androgenic alopecia over the course of 18-24.7 weeks found that 60% of the subjects had their hair improved (blinded investigator-assessed) compared to one subject in placebo

Very recent study (2016) backing up it's effectiveness for BPH

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27186566

Another recent study showing it effective for BPH

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26817302

Recent study showing it's topically effective for hair growth over 24 weeks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26010505

>The topical application of S. repens extract could be an alternative treatment in male pattern baldness in male patients who do not want or cannot tolerate the side-effects of standard medications, but the use of a concentrated S. repens product beyond 4 weeks may be necessary for sustained efficacy.

More

http://www.ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts/2004berlin/researchabstracts/P10-141-Fasulo.htm

>Conclusion: In accordance also with other authors, this study confirms the effectiveness of Serenoa repens extract on hair baldness such as androgenetic alopecia, especially when� connected with 5a reductase activity.

http://examine.com/supplements/saw+palmetto/

If you actually go through these you will conclude that saw palmetto works about half as well as finasteride for BPH and male pattern baldness and block about half as much DHT in vitro and prostatic tissue than finasteride.

If there are any opposing or supporting studies you know off I'd love to see them.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was early in my hair loss research, I went to Ashley and Martin to ask what their strategy was. They would charge ~$4400/year for a four-component hair loss treatment:
- Finasteride pills;
- A 7% minoxidil topical applied once a day which I think was enhanced with other stuff;
- A laser helmet kept at the clinic that you can come in and use;
- Saw palmetto tablets;
[I did not sign up.]

I asked the guy about the SP tablets, he said it would account for 5% of the effectiveness. Given that SP seemingly is a weak finasteride I'm not sure if 1+0.50 = 1.50, there's a lot of ways in which that might or might not be true.

In general this is a good example of the problem with herbal supplements: they might work, but the research is of sh*t quality. It would help if a single one of those studies measured DHT, T, and E after a long period. There are studies showing no change in DHT after 7 weeks, if those are true (likely so imo), it means that SP takes a long time to make changes.

Good detective research @SmoothSailing . As another application, I think this might be a good way for people to wean themselves off finasteride, they should go on 3 months of SP as a hormonal transition period.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think about K-Max tablets to reduce DHT.
This also contains saw Palmetto and others natural ingredients.
Is it convenient for both men and women ?

I would like to specify that I am a woman in menopause period and serious hairloss.
Sorry for my poor english but I am a French native woman.
Thanks a lot for your opinion.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think about K-Max tablets to reduce DHT.
This also contains saw Palmetto and others natural ingredients.
Is it convenient for both men and women ?

I would like to specify that I am a woman in menopause period and serious hairloss.
Sorry for my poor english but I am a French native woman.
Thanks a lot for your opinion.

The kmax tablets look good. They have beta sitosterol which is meant to help with saw palmetto and they also have nettle root which is apparently another DHT blocker.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for this reply SmoothSailing.
Do you know how long should we have to take this supplement to see good results and if so, do we have to take it constantly ?

Any other opinion for Kmax tablets ?

Many thanks

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for this reply SmoothSailing.
Do you know how long should we have to take this supplement to see good results and if so, do we have to take it constantly ?

Any other opinion for Kmax tablets ?

Many thanks

It likely takes about a month for the DHT to be blocked by the Saw Palmetto and a further 3 - 11 months to actually see improvement.

It has been shown that topical Saw Palmetto is also somewhat effective so I'd reccomend getting a conditioner/shampoo with saw palmetto as well as the tablets.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
THANK YOU for your reply Smoothsailing.

Could you recommend a shampoo containing saw palmetto.
It is a help for oily scalp ?

Many thanks

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
THANK YOU for your reply Smoothsailing.

Could you recommend a shampoo containing saw palmetto.
It is a help for oily scalp ?

Many thanks

I use OGX Niacin, Caffeine and Saw Palmetto conditioner. I leave it in for 3 minutes and my scalp feels tingly and nice afterwards. I use OGX Biotin Shampoo, but there's also a Saw Palmetto shampoo as well. I figure I'd mix and match.

You should also use Nizoral shampoo every 3 days if you don't already. It's an anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-dandruff shampoo that's proven to help with hairloss. It's also meant to be a weak DHT inhibitor.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
It likely takes about a month for the DHT to be blocked by the Saw Palmetto and a further 3 - 11 months to actually see improvement.

It has been shown that topical Saw Palmetto is also somewhat effective so I'd reccomend getting a conditioner/shampoo with saw palmetto as well as the tablets.

Hello Smooth Sailing,

I have received my K-max gellules and the recommendation is to take 2 to 4 caps a day. As I am a woman, what is the right dosage per day ?

Thanks a lot for your opinion
Have a nice day

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd likely take 3.

Does it say what percentage of the Saw Palmetto Extract is fatty acids and sterols?

A normal dosage is 320mg of SP extract with 80% - 90% fatty acids and sterols. If yours happens to be, for example, 40% fatty acids and sterols then you should aim to get about 640mg of the SP extract.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd likely take 3.

Does it say what percentage of the Saw Palmetto Extract is fatty acids and sterols?

A normal dosage is 320mg of SP extract with 80% - 90% fatty acids and sterols. If yours happens to be, for example, 40% fatty acids and sterols then you should aim to get about 640mg of the SP extract.

I've checked the composition and each cap contains :

extrait de Serenoa Repens : 160,1mg

extrait de Lignanes : 95,12mg,

Ortie dioïque : 59mg,

Zinc : 2,5mg

Bêta Sitosterol : 50mg,

Silicium organique : 5mg,

Cuivre : 0,25mg

Astaxantine : 1mg,

This means that 2 caps brings 320,2 mg a day. For the others ingrédients, do you think it is enough ?
Sorry to ask you these questions but I don't know this product and I have to well understand the recommendations.
As I am French women, it's not so easy for me.

Thank you so much.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about the other ingredients but I'm sure that the advised dosage is about right.

Overall I'd stick to the recommended dosage.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you already took K-max tablets, how long dit it take to see some benefits ?
I've started my treatment 3 wks ago and my hair loss is still, with oily scalp.
Thank you.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've also started taking Saw Palmetto (in addition to Minoxidil and Nizoral) i'm going to keep an eye on the effects over the next 5 months. I started off on a really low dose and have been gradually upping it. The whole blocking DHT thing scares me and i noticed immediate bad side effects on finasteride.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you already took K-max tablets, how long dit it take to see some benefits ?
I've started my treatment 3 wks ago and my hair loss is still, with oily scalp.
Thank you.

Probably about 3 - 6 months before you will notice any improvements. Firstly it takes a while for SP to start blocking DHT. And then it takes more time for the hair growth to improve. And then it takes a few months before the healthier hair becomes visible. Even on finasteride you are advised to wait a year before assessing it's effectiveness.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've also started taking Saw Palmetto (in addition to Minoxidil and Nizoral) i'm going to keep an eye on the effects over the next 5 months. I started off on a really low dose and have been gradually upping it. The whole blocking DHT thing scares me and i noticed immediate bad side effects on finasteride.

Just ensure you are using a good quality SP supplement as many of them don't have enough of the vital ingredients (the fatty acids and sterols).

The berry usually has less than the oil. The standard dose for hair loss is 320mg of SP with 80 - 90% fatty acids and sterols.

rosa11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any possible shedding when starting with K-max tablets since my hair is falling even more but I don't know
if there is a link with K-max.
Do you already experience such problem with K-max at the beginning ?
Thank you.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any possible shedding when starting with K-max tablets since my hair is falling even more but I don't know
if there is a link with K-max.
Do you already experience such problem with K-max at the beginning ?
Thank you.

It's possible that this shedding means there is thicker hair growing in place and the tablets are working.

Although it's alway possible the tablets are doing nothing and your hairloss has just increased. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do besides wait.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
So im currently experimenting with Saw palmetto myself..... not nearly as clinical and well documented as OP though. I started off at about 100mgs a day, slowly slowly increasing the dose. I am now on 250mg a day. Been on 250mgs for a week.

So far no positive notes, but i wasnt expecting any for at least 2-3 months. However... for the past month i've noticed thinning on the front line and my hairs starting to get wispy. I have been hopeful this was just natural progression and if the saw palmetto was going to help it would start to reverse that in the next 2-3 months.

But i just recently read an old forum posting about someone getting thinner hair AFTER being on saw palmetto for awhile and it now has me a bit worried. I wanted to try this before jumping on finasteride as i see it as a bit of a stepping stone that at the absolute worst wouldnt hurt my hair loss but wouldnt help it. But now im worried it might actually be hurting it.

Any opinions on this?

Also im almost out of my bottle of SP and i got a good deal on the Regenepure stuff... typically over priced but i got it for $18 a bottle. I'm wondering how much SP is in it (SP as listed as the first ingredient in its proprietary list)

https://www.amazon.com/Regenepure-Advanced-Strength-Supplement-Capsules/dp/B012Y1M758

Anyone know?