Salon Tanning-- Safe? I have a buzzed head

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You know what irritates me and I expected it to be different on this website is people grouping "bald men" together. Like everyone has the same degree of hair loss, at the same age range, and look the same.

yes in terms of men balding there are many of them. Men in their 20's who lose it all, not quite as many right?

Even better is when people post link to Vin Diesel, or that guy from Crank, or Agassi and say "hey see it doesn't look bad to be bald" as if everyone look the same. Tom Selleck looked good withhis bushy mustache. Does this mean everyone who grows one like him will look as good as him? Of course not. Is Jason Alexander an attractive man?

pmill

Reaction score
i dont think tanning outside or tanning beds have anything to do with hair loss,.,,thats ridiculous..

s.a.f

Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
You know what irritates me and I expected it to be different on this website is people grouping "bald men" together. Like everyone has the same degree of hair loss, at the same age range, and look the same.

yes in terms of men balding there are many of them. Men in their 20's who lose it all, not quite as many right?

Even better is when people post link to Vin Diesel, or that guy from Crank, or Agassi and say "hey see it doesn't look bad to be bald" as if everyone look the same. Tom Selleck looked good withhis bushy mustache. Does this mean everyone who grows one like him will look as good as him? Of course not. Is Jason Alexander an attractive man?

Totally agree with this, especially the last bit. Maybe we should all put our age and Norwood level as a signature.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Totally agree with this, especially the last bit. Maybe we should all put our age and Norwood level as a signature.

Won't make a difference. People just lump "bald" together. I'm sorry but a guy who is a Norwood 3 is not the same as a Norwood 6. A guy's age also makes a difference. A guy who loses hair in his 20's is not the same as normal balding in his 50's and so forth. Some looks go better with certain people I think.

For every Vin Diesel, there is a Jason Alexander, a Ron Howard, a Clint Howard. Ron Howard is like one of the top directors and he is almost ALWAYS wearing a baseball cap. Bruce Willis wore a hairpiece until he is in his 50's. Burt Reynolds is another.

Heck Hulk Hogan is in his 50's. RIch, famous, huge muscles but he always has that bandanna on.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Yeah ive noticed Ron Howard constantly wears a baseball cap. He must be very self concious. But i guess rich or famous, we all have our insecurities.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Yeah ive noticed Ron Howard constantly wears a baseball cap. He must be very self concious. But i guess rich or famous, we all have our insecurities.

Hulk Hogan too. It just proves that there are many factors with being completely bald. How you look with it is a key one. People bring up Vin Diesel and the Crank guy but we all can't carry that look. Just like some people purposely go with a shaved or bald head look and they have NO balding whatsoever. It really works well with some people. I find that those who grow their hair long usually are ones who don't look good with short/bald hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ron Howard looks abit stupid like he's trying to pass himself off as a youngster and Hulk Hogan? Lucky he's a wrestler and lives in Florida otherwise if he was an average guy dressing like that people would think he was a dick.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Ron Howard looks abit stupid like he's trying to pass himself off as a youngster and Hulk Hogan? Lucky he's a wrestler and lives in Florida otherwise if he was an average guy dressing like that people would think he was a dick.

Only proves how much baldness (they are bald not going throu hairloss like most people) bothers them. I mean everyone knows what they look like bald but they still cover up. And they are rich, famous and have great lives. But they still are THAT bothered by it. Hell, Bruce Willis didn't show his baldness until he was an old man.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
metalheaddude said:

Hulk Hogan too. It just proves that there are many factors with being completely bald. How you look with it is a key one. People bring up Vin Diesel and the Crank guy but we all can't carry that look. Just like some people purposely go with a shaved or bald head look and they have NO balding whatsoever. It really works well with some people. I find that those who grow their hair long usually are ones who don't look good with short/bald hair.

Yeah so true. I certainly cant pull off the "bald look" like Stratham or Vin Diesel. I litterally go from being a model with hair to looking like a freak without hair, thats how vital hair is to my look. I honestly would not bother with this forum if it wasnt that important to my look, but me without hair is like a man without a penis. I just feel naked.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Yeah so true. I certainly cant pull off the "bald look" like Stratham or Vin Diesel. I litterally go from being a model with hair to looking like a freak without hair, thats how vital hair is to my look. I honestly would not bother with this forum if it wasnt that important to my look, but me without hair is like a man without a penis. I just feel naked.

Did you post photos? If yes, link me so I can see.

I am a full blown NW6 and people kept telling me to shave it, so I did. Years later, I still feel ugly and people expect me to feel ok because Statham looks good? As if that look works for everyone. Unreal!!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I have not posted pics as of yet. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing that now as everyone on this forum pretty much hates me and is looking to grill me any chance they get (not that it bothers me, its like water off a ducks back) however I may well post them another time under another alias to get some opinions.

Im far from a NW6 I will be honest. My primary problem is the hairline (I have a thin crown to but im not that concerned about that) but I have quite strong temple recession, but this in combination with a larger than normal forehead, extremelly pale skin and unruley hair makes me look like an alien. I pretty much wear a baseball cap 24/7 as styling my hair is near impossible. My only saving grace is pushing it all forward (which looks extremelly odd to say the least). You dont have to be a NW6 to be devastated by hairloss :nono:

But having said that I have seen your photos and situation and i really feel for you man. Must be tough. All I can say is the future is looking very good with some great new potential technology to crack this hairloss problem once and for all. I predict within the next 10 years you will get all your hair back and more. You just gotta stay positive :)

Sounds weird but I even thought about studying the deep inner workings of hairloss for myself and even attempt to come up with a cure. Maybe you could do the same, beats staying idle! This is a disease and diseases needs cures! We should get off our asses and do something about it :nono:

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree. Hairloss affects different people differently and I totally understand that and would never put someone down for it. BUT, nothing compares with being a NW5, NW6 or NW7 especially at a young age. You have the "comb forward" option. When you get to this level, what can you do with it? Nothing especially get a tattoo on your head.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Hatprisoner you need a avatar (display picture) dude! It becomes your trade mark after a while and also makes it easier to see whos writing.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
freightning but yes a lot better.... you now have an identity on the board :devil:

G

I got the same hairline that makes me look alienish but i wear the buzzcut concealer a couple of threads down.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair? said:
I got the same hairline that makes me look alienish but i wear the buzzcut concealer a couple of threads down.

Looks good but you have to have some hair on top to do that and I don't.

G

actually, look at my temples, to the naked eye, it looks like no hair. thats how good this stuff is. it makes the very fine peachfuzz into thick looking hair. the secret is to shave your sides even shorter. theres a brown coming out to. but shave the sides very short and match that length everywhere else on top till you have a hairline.you look like the kind of person that wants to shave their hair for looks, not to hide a receded hairline. you brush it on very carefully not touching the scalp, it is actually just on the hair strands that are so thin they seem transparent. i can box my face in great. even up close it looks like hair because it is actually your hair thats coated. it's not colorong your scalp. and its cheap!

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I looked at your hair, you have hair up there but thin. Look at my hair photos in the "tell your story" thread. I have absolutely none. I mean in the crown there isn't even those one hair things. Believe me I would love to be at the point where I had enough hair to use this stuff. As a matter of fact, years ago before it went NW6 on me like this, I had the thin stuff for a few months and I did use concealer to get by.