Salon Tanning-- Safe? I have a buzzed head

johnrts

Reaction score
Anyone know if Salon Tanning is safe?

Will it damage my hair, roots or cause hair to fall out?

I have a really white scalp and if i were to get tanned i would look better.

So.. Anyone know if salon tanning is safe, my plan is to darken the scalp.

I have a buzzed head, numberer zero at the moment.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
UV light exposure causes premature aging. I think there is a relationship between aging and balding.

what about fake tan?

johnrts

Reaction score
Hmmm Fake Tan? Will that be safe to put in my hair?

How can i darken my scalp safely guys?

FTank

Reaction score
I've tried some fake tans to test them out. The results have not really been what I wanted. The best I found was going to a tanning both that sells mystic tan. But I still found that to be lacking. I found when I shave my face I shave a lot of the tan comes off. Also for some reason it looked the most fake on the scalp. I have no idea why.

It don't think tanning beds are safe. I wish we had a better option for safe tan but it's a hard problem to solve. I would be interested if anyone knows any good options.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
johnrts said:
Anyone know if Salon Tanning is safe?

Will it damage my hair, roots or cause hair to fall out?

I have a really white scalp and if i were to get tanned i would look better.

So.. Anyone know if salon tanning is safe, my plan is to darken the scalp.

I have a buzzed head, numberer zero at the moment.

Tanning beds are extremelly dangerous and have maybe 5 times the UV strength of the sun. Tanning beds have been linked to skin cancer, I dont consider it safe at all and many people have consequently died as a result. If you want some colour just lie out in the sun for 15 minutes a day. This is more than enough to excite the melotonan in your skin and give you a nice level of natural looking colour that is safe. The sun is a more natural way of getting a tan and its safe if you tan over a longer period with minimal exposure. 15 minutes a day maximum.

johnrts

Reaction score
So im guessing salon tanning is not safe for the hair follicles and roots.. well i cant tan outside because i live in a country with practically no sun for 9 months of the year.

And for fake tan, that sh*t could somehow damage the hair? Probably a pain in the *** to put on every morning like concealer and probably looks weird or fake on the scalp..

Unless anybody can come up with any suggestions i guess i will have to deal with a pale scalp..

Just a note: I saw a guy with a shaved head and diffuse thinning at the gym but had a very tanned scalp, it clearly mimimized how bad his hairloss looked and he actually looked stellar with a darkened scalp.

bleh, suggestions?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Well you can still use the salon, just minimize the exposure and dont stay under for as long. Just dont go for the quick tan by using maximum power. Tan gradually and slowly over a long time.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going tanning myself. I am also a skeptic about it. Have heard for years how unsafe it is and everything. But so many people do go to them. I mean pro wrestlers go to them all the time for decades and not any I can think of have died from skin problems.

I wouldn't want to be DARK DARK but definitely darker than I am now. The fake tan stuff comes off and fades quickly and doesn't get you much darker. The "dark" fake fan ends up looking very fake. Been using them for years.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Don't do it. Its not worth it. Just not worth the risk.

Are you saying that to me?

I mean sure I could not do it. Then I just won't ever work or go anywhere without my head covered. Better option?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am saying to everyone who is thinking about it as advice. The issues with balding won't be solved by a sun bed. Also, to keep the tan up you will have to continue this always.

Then what about your future, your skin on you hear will age super fast. There will be a huge increased chance of skin cancer.

My advice to you HatPrisoner91 is to help yourself in slow steps. Get a job where nobody knows you and you can wear a hat. Like someone said before, a truck driver. Your alone most of the time, free on the road, and you have an excuse to wear a hat.

Then maybe your next step is to afford a place with your girlfriend once you have a job.

Then your 3rd step is to show your girlfriend your hair once you feel the time is right.

While you’re doing this, you’re living your life again, getting away from your parents and saving for a hair transplant.

If this all fails, then try a sun bed.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hatprisoner, you've really got to change your ways. You're a bald man but you're one of millions, it happens to grown men.
I was a NW6 too, shaved it and absolutley detested the look but you've got to realise that you have no choice in this.

What are you going to do? :dunno:

Go into any big workplace and you'll see bald guys, yes they may be a small minority but they're still there doing the same thing as everyone else.
You will also see short arsed people, very fat people, very ugly people all of them may have issues but this is the workplace its not a singles bar or a beauty pagent.
What are you afraid of? People will look at you see you're bald and thats it. Its not like they have'nt seen a bald man before.
When you get served at the supermarket, when you get on a bus does it matter to you how the cashier or busdriver look? Does it matter if the postman delivering your mail has a nw1 or a nw7? Its only an issue if you make it one.

Yes it may be uncomfortable at first interviews, meeting new people ect but you've got to keep that hidden. There are plenty of bald guys out there who still have confidence, maybe they've just got used to it but you've got to imagine that you are one of them.
At the end of the day people are there to work and earn money they dont really care who's there with them.

Basicly you have to do this, you have to move forward. You cant stay in your current situation. You say you have a girlfriend well thats more than many people on here have. Although I cant understand what she gets out of this relationship. You owe it to her aswell as yourself to get your life back on track.
Just go to an employment agency and they'll find you a job no hassle. Probably just some factory or manual work but at least you'll be earning, there is no future in being on the dole.
Whatever happens it cant be worse than what you've got now can it?
If people have never seen you with hair then they have nothing to compare your look with.
Sitting at hope fretting about it is doing you no good, its just making things worse.

You have to say to yourself ok this is me, its not how I'd like to be but its what I've got. Get out there and get yourself a job, start earning some money and getting a sense of self worth.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with saf.

HatPrisoner91, you're thinking of doing this to look good right? it will make you look ugly.

get a little bit of sun every day, don't get burned though. it is much healthier. sunbeds = advanced aging accelerator.

there are plenty of other things that can make you look and feel better, like regular exericise, good diet and self confidence.

bald does not equal ugly. there are plenty of hot chicks that date ugly guys, whether they are bald or not. same goes with top paying jobs.
if you have to work harder, so be it.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
saf,

Why did you post that here and not in the main thread? This post is about tanning. And you made no mention of that.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To answer Bily and Optimus, to ME, bald equals ugly on some people and not on others. That feeling isn't going to ever change. So I'm trying to think of ways to work around it. I shave my head but I know my color doens't look so I am looking into tanning.

I mean I am already about 90 percent pro for giving it a try. I just wondered if others on here have gone that route.

Sure i'm sure there is a cancer risk. But there is in using cell phones too. Do you EVER use a cell phone without going hands free? Have you ever used a microwave? One could name a million things that have "cancer risks".

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Could be. But at this point, I think the reward outweighs the risk. I mean i won't just go out without covering my head and look like someone who is sick. If I have to do that, I would rather be dead.

s.a.f

Reaction score
HatPrisoner91 said:
saf,

Why did you post that here and not in the main thread? This post is about tanning. And you made no mention of that.

I'm following on in response to the comments made by optimus prime. Shall I move the post to the main thread?

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
HatPrisoner91 said:
saf,

I'm following on in response to the comments made by optimus prime. Shall I move the post to the main thread?

Yeah I know but it wasn't about the topic (which is tanning, you know?)