ROGAINE Foam is EXCELLENT!

rick055

Reaction score
I have been using the Rogaine foam for two weeks and can tell you it is excellent.

It is easy to apply, doubles as a great styling aid (making a.m. routine WAY easier), leaves hair thicker (as in a hair thickening mousse) and smells great.

It does NOT leave your hair greasy (a la propylene glycol).

I am SOLD.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
rick055 wrote:
It is easy to apply, doubles as a great styling aid (making a.m. routine WAY easier), leaves hair thicker (as in a hair thickening mousse) and smells great.

And if that wasn't enough: it also grows hair!

rick055

Reaction score
Strat54 said:
rick055 wrote:

And if that wasn't enough: it also grows hair!

And apparently even better than the 5% minoxidil solution. I wonder if this is due to increased absorption, the foam is WAY easier to apply.

I am also getting ready to add propecia (probably 1.25 mg/day generic proscar). I then wonder about adding spironolactone. One thing at a time.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
rick055 wrote:
And apparently even better than the 5% minoxidil solution. I wonder if this is due to increased absorption, the foam is WAY easier to apply.

It could be because of the increased absorption or, someone said, and wisely too, that the higher percentage (I believe it was 85%), was a result of the foam being easier and faster to apply than the greasy solution.

rick055

Reaction score
Strat54 said:
rick055 wrote:

It could be because of the increased absorption or, someone said, and wisely too, that the higher percentage (I believe it was 85%), was a result of the foam being easier and faster to apply than the greasy solution.

I believe better compliance could be a factor, BUT (and this is solely conjecture) there's something about it that makes me feel that it's absorbing better. I don't get that "greasy run-off" that I did with the solution - I always felt like the solution sat on my head. The foam is gone immediately AND, it appears to absorb faster (according to Rogaine, you can style your hair with product 15 minutes later).

My completely speculative hunch is that better absorption accounts for (much of) the difference; I can't imagine that that great a difference is simply caused by compliance, as the original studies were (allegedly) controlled, meaning that they should have had near enough perfect compliance that any increase in compliance from the foam could not account for such a significant difference. IMO.

rick055

Reaction score
JayMan said:
rick, at what length do you keep your hair?

About 2 - 3" long on top, razor (#2 or #3) on the sides, which makes the above, IMO, especially important. Even with longer hair, I still feel I am getting it to the scalp (my crown is thinning and I have some diffuse loss on either side of my still fairly strong forelock).

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you can’t baby-sit 300 people 24/7. I’m sure that many got lazy, and others didn’t like going out in the morning with a greasy hair.

This forum is a good example. You see some people using minoxidil solution only once a day and others complaining about itch, rash, irritation, etc. Many people can’t take it and stop, or look for an alternative.

The foam has fixed all those problems.

I’m not saying it doesn’t absorb better, we just don’t know yet.

Maybe it’s a little bit of both.

rick055

Reaction score
Strat54 said:
Yes, but you can’t baby-sit 300 people 24/7. I’m sure that many got lazy, and others didn’t like going out in the morning with a greasy hair.

This forum is a good example. You see some people using minoxidil solution only once a day and others complaining about itch, rash, irritation, etc. Many people can’t take it and stop, or look for an alternative.

The foam has fixed all those problems.

I’m not saying it doesn’t absorb better, we just don’t know yet.

Maybe it’s a little bit of both.

I agree with the disparity you mention "in the real world", but (and again, this is my hypothesis) I don't think there's enough disparity between the two clinical trials (if they are even considered that) to totally account for the difference.

Another possibility, I think, is the fact that there is no propylene glycol in the foam - no rash, no irritation = healthier scalp = better absorption?

You know what, ROGAINE foam has an 800#...I'm going to ask them what they think the difference is. I'll be back.

jcinzano

Reaction score
i asked, they said they're "about the same" in terms of effectiveness and said there's only one ingredient different. i forget what it was, but it sounded sort of common ... or the foam had one ingredient less ...

is there anybody who has actually switched from 5% rogaine to the foam and seen a difference? (the moderator made a switch from dr. lee's formula, but that brand name rogaine would work better than dr. lee's could simply say more about dr. lee's stuff than the foam)

Mo Protein

Reaction score
rick055 said:
I have been using the Rogaine foam for two weeks and can tell you it is excellent.

It does NOT leave your hair greasy (a la propylene glycol).

I am SOLD.

I agree with everything you said except the "smells great" part. It stinks. Strong chemical smell. I wish they would come up with a version with no smell or a better fragrance.

Reaction score
I just got my first package and I have never used it before.
When is the best time to use it considering I pretty much work whole day and I am not sure I have time to apply it at work. How long it takes for quality application.

G

losinghairsuddenly said:
When is the best time to use it considering I pretty much work whole day and I am not sure I have time to apply it at work. How long it takes for quality application.

apply before and after work. people on here seem to say it only takes 15 minutes to dry.

shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to apply.

Xerhid

Reaction score
The foam is great! I used it for the first time before work this morning. I HATED using the liquid, because it was a nightmare to style my crown. I eventually gave up and only used it at night. However, my crown looked great today when using the foam.

A little tip: the foam seems to be a lot more expensive than the liquid. If cost is an issue, it makes sense to use the foam in the morning, when you hair has to look decent before work, and to use the liquid at night or whenever it doesn't matter.

jcinzano

Reaction score
yeah, i'm seeing a pattern here. everybody loves the foam at first because its easy to apply, then they start shedding like crazy.

see the feedback on this on another forum, got people who switched from the liquid 1, 2, 3 months in, and so far, lots of shedding, little to no growth

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=64026

now, i really hope this stuff works. i've been on the 5% liquid for years and i switched partly to the foam-- using it once a day and the liquid once a day. but i'm pretty skeptical that this stuff evaporates faster, is easier and less messy, AND gives better result. seems a tad too good to be true in a field where disappointment is the norm

Reaction score
JayMan said:
losinghairsuddenly said:

apply before and after work. people on here seem to say it only takes 15 minutes to dry.

shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to apply.

Question regardin how much to put on, because it disappears very quickly into the scalp. I am not sure.....

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
jcinzano said:
i asked, they said they're "about the same" in terms of effectiveness and said there's only one ingredient different. i forget what it was, but it sounded sort of common ... or the foam had one ingredient less ...

is there anybody who has actually switched from 5% rogaine to the foam and seen a difference? (the moderator made a switch from dr. lee's formula, but that brand name rogaine would work better than dr. lee's could simply say more about dr. lee's stuff than the foam)

dont know why they told that when 85% response rate is a significant improvement. somebody is lying or misinformed, i'm willing to bet it was whomever you talked to

vartex

Reaction score
I've been using the foam for 2 weeks now myself and I just love it!

I only lose about 5-8 hairs when applying it and I've noticed less hair on my pillow and in the shower. Now I just want it to grow some real hair!

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a little too early to be judging success. To my understanding of the Minoxidil regrowth progress, it shouldn't halt any bit of shedding that will take place due to the normal male pattern baldness process. It simply adds a little growth that cosmetically offsets what's being lost.

The increased shedding could be the result of increased potency or, almost more likely, considerably less minoxidil absorption which is leading to the shed of the hairs gained by minoxidil with prior use of the normal solution.