rogaine contraindicated

Axon

Reaction score
rill said:
The POINT is, when you STOP using minoxidil, there is a possibility that you will loose even moore hair than you would wihout minoxidil in the first place.
This is ofcourse uncertain.

I follow, and I still disagree with it's other point that Minoxidil should be avoided.

G

Here's a little something from a veteran minoxidil user. I took this from Rage's story section. This poster is commenting on Rage's update. He added that minoxidil worked for SEVEN years. Take a look at it.

fallout said:
I see some improvement. Stay on the minoxidil and milk it for all its got. I was on it for 7 years before it los its effectiveness.

I believe fallout was on minoxidil only. No propecia or anything else.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
When I started minoxidil my hairline was pretty good, just some small temple recession, after 2-3 years when I stopped minoxidil then things got worse and Ive receeded a bit plus some small loss in the back (you cant tell visually).
As long as you use it u are propably fine even if it will not do the same job
afrer a couple of years.
My experience is that when you quit you loose abit, regardless if you are
using finasteride and copper Peptides (folligen,trico).
Im not saying "dont get on it" just saying if you do you better be sure that you wont quit in the future!!

Axon

Reaction score
I understand your point Rill, and I believe you more than I believe this "study."

G

Guys no panic. It is true that minoxidil loses its effectiveness after a period. THE QUESTION IS WHY? NITRATE TOLERANCE! :freaked2:
The good news is that this can be reversed :D How you ask?

1)always use folic acid. THis will reverse nitrate tolerance and because of
this minoxidil will be effective again.
2) When minoxidil stops working, don't use it for like 2 weeks

Oxhide provided huge info on this topic, but it has been removed. HairLossTalk.com could you please put it back in the discussion forum? It gives great info!

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil works, Period!

It has worked great for me and millions of others. I'd be screwed without minoxidil since I dont use propecia.

Sure, minoxidil may stop growing hair after a certain point, but you can be sure that you'll have more hair than if you didnt use it.

Personally, I just feel that your follicles are only going to respond to ANY treatment up to a point, then the best you can hope for is maintenance. This is success IMHO. If you are looking to have your 15 year old hairline back, then you need to get a transplant or wear a toupee.

peace.

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
im pretty confused about this and wondering if i should start on rogaine around my hairline and temples, can you actually regrow hair for like 12-18 months, but then maintain it for a few more years still using minoxidil

Cassin

Reaction score
jdizzle said:
im pretty confused about this and wondering if i should start on rogaine around my hairline and temples, can you actually regrow hair for like 12-18 months, but then maintain it for a few more years still using minoxidil

Yes!

More than likely longer than 12-18 months. So in claiming it ceases being "effective" he is using a vague term in stating "regrowth" only as it's effectiveness in terms. Besides, you throw in finasteride to the mix, and all studies go out the window. More than likely we are massively extending our time with these treatments. Dr Lee and Dr Proctor are using some scare tactics to sell a little more of their treatments by giving us their male pattern baldness solutions and pointing out the weaknesses and problems of other products. Hey it's their job, you can't blame them for messing with us a bit for profit.

ColtsFan

Established Member
Reaction score
All iknow is that I went on Dr Lee's 15 % and have lost a ton of hair in about 4 months. I was doing so well on the 12.5% and I should have stayed on it. Now I find out that all the precipitate in the bottle of 15% is the minoxidil that should be on my follicles... I am going back the regimine that got me a great head of hair:

PM.
Xand. 12.5%
spironolactone 5%
Emu oil (applied last)

Am.
1/4 proscar w/ g-fruit juice and l-lysine)
tricomin
spironolactone 5%

I was looking at pictures from 9/28 and damn my hair looked a lot better the crown was thicker and hairline was stronger. I went on15% in late November. I talked to a pharmacist who left a bottle of 15% sit around for a month and at the end of the month it full of chunks of minoxidil....

Cassin

Reaction score
I wonder in liquid form what the highest level of concentrations is stable for minoxidil. I have seen 7% thrown around here a few times. Obviously 15% isn't even close. Why would Dr Lee sell this is it was so unstable? Coltsfan isn't the first to report these "chunks" of minoxidil after a given time.

G

WHy wouldn't Dr. Lee make the 15% a lotion also. Since minoxidil is hard to stablize as a liquid, it only makes sense to make a 15% a lotion. The 15% liquid seems like a waste if the minoxidil is just going to precipitate into chunks and never do jack for your hair. And if he could make a 15% liquid, why didn't he make 12.5% a liquid. sh*t, he should just make a 10% liquid, so we have gradual steps into higher concentration of minoxidil. This minoxidil talk makes me seem like our follicles are like dope fiends. The dope being the minoxidil. THey need more and more like a fuckin addicition.

I'd feel a whole lot better if Rogaine came out with a 7% or 8% solution in the future, then we could buy some generic 7%/8% solution. That would be nice.

Also, it makes me wonder if it would be possible to make a switch from minoxidil to a new growth stimulater in the future. Say OSH101 comes out and is good as it is suppose to be, i wonder if it would be possible to compltely drop minoxidil and get onto the new treatment. But until then, i think minoxidil is fuckin great. It works.

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
are you saying that the lotion is easier/better. im really looking into starting minoxidil, and the lotion seems so easy especialy just along the hairline and temps

G

jdizzle said:
are you saying that the lotion is easier/better. im really looking into starting minoxidil, and the lotion seems so easy especialy just along the hairline and temps

I'm using the 5% minoxidil once a day my temples, and i'm already starting to notice results. You should start off with the standard 5% liquid minoxidil, get some generic brand to save $ and the higher concentrations for later. Then later in, maybe 5 years from now, you may want to kick up the dose and maybe by then a 7% minoxidil solution will be readily available, if not just get that 12.5% lotion from Dr. Lee. If the 12.5% craps out there is the shady 15%. By the time you think the 12.5% is crapping out it will be many many years in the future. Anyways, by in a few years time i'm thinking there will be better minoxidil solutions like a 7% and 10% available. Don't worry yourself about way into the future. Remember there are always higher concentrations of minoxidil and each one should give you a good run. Start on minoxidil, you'll be fine.

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
if i do minoxidil to just in front of the hairline and temples were there basically is no hair, will i still shed from other places, and make healthy hair minoxidil dependent

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see an article like this (i realise the guy is selling his own stuff, but he's not lying) it adds to my 'all treatments are currently sh*t' belief. :/

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil since 1985 (2% prescription then) and have been using pretty much since then (about 15-20 years) of use. Used 5% when offered non-prescript and have since (can't remember when). My hairloss definately has slowed down but has not completely halted by any means.

Started propecia immediately when approved for the public (I believe 1999) and again hairloss has slowed somewhat but not halted.

I have pretty severe diffuse thinning all over with crown very thin area. Now frontal is receding. Luckly I can hide well with Couvre.

At this point I am kind of sick of minoxidil as it is tough to manage Couvre in the morning with it so I am going to just go to once a day at night. At this point just hope to maintain what I have. I wish I could thicken the hair I have. I doubt I can grow any new hairs now.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh for chrissake. WHY do people keep bringing up this same crap over and over and over again? :) Here's my own point of view, and it's based on reading a ton of minoxidil and other hairloss studies (the statements are based on the AVERAGE population.... individual anecdotes and experiences may vary somewhat):

1) As far as I know, topical minoxidil does not lose its effectiveness over time. It continues to provide an offset of extra growth over and above what you would have if you DON'T use it.

2) Haircounts while using topical minoxidil do start to decline on average after the peak of regrowth which generally occurs around the 1-year point, but that's not the fault of the minoxidil per se. It's the fault of the BALDING PROCESS ITSELF, which continues at its normal pace, despite the use of the minoxidil.

3) Quitting topical minoxidil in the future will obviously result in the loss of that extra offset of regrowth (the same as with any other treatment). Furthermore, there's a bit of a "rebound" effect which will also cause a few more hairs to be lost besides just the minoxidil-stimulated ones, but those will grow back over a period of about ~6 months or so. Don't worry about it.

Bryan

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Oh for chrissake. WHY do people keep bringing up this same crap over and over and over again?
Because they listen to self appointed scientists on hair loss forums and pay entirely too much attention to people's uneducated opinions, and have little or no experience reading the actual clinical data and/or said clinical data doesn't mean anything to them.

We're working on changing that, but as a hair loss site, we're all alone in this endeavour, so it's an uphill battle.

HairLossTalk.com