RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

SAMY

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you find this way of presenting a scientific novelty to be professional on Twiter instead of first being published in a publication then your speculation will be logical.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
No way, 2350 is already booked as "cancer year", then in 2400 we have neurodegenerative diseases, so i think hair loss cure will have its time to shine around 2500.

Joke aside, it's really funny how many people don't understand predictions are dumb in any case, either pessimistic or naive.
I know you're joking, but I would legitimately be shocked/surprised if many cancers/neurodegenerative diseases were not cured (fully preventable) by 2050, neverminded 2100+. People don't really have a good grasp of how quickly medical innovation is about to sped up by technology. Google's alpha fold is a perfect example of this.

Predictions based on nothing are dumb, sure, but making predictions based on the current pace of research or existing pipelines is reasonable. When I can point to a dozen or more companies making large progress in each new age treatment areas like cloning, gene therapy or small molecule drugs, as well as the cumulative investment of billions of dollars into research, I feel like people are allowed to make predictions on where we are headed.

Last edited:

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
it will be a new disappointment, hair follicle regeneration well be fake
we will always stay bald, may by 2080 or 2100 we fund the ""cure ""
Wow, you got so many dislikes for trying to save people to not be dissapointed...
People should realize that being optimistic all-time is not really benefical. We should be ready for anything on wednesday.

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isnt Zarev already "the cure"? 10k grafts for 40k€ should be cheaper than Tsuji.
Still I am hyped for Wednesday!

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, you got so many dislikes for trying to save people to not be dissapointed...
People should realize that being optimistic all-time is not really benefical. We should be ready for anything on wednesday.
We already know their preclinical trials were successful, the picture is on their Twitter account. We may not find out the date they will begin human trials, but we will get the paper detailing their successful method. If we don't get the date Wednesday then we'll get it soon after from the media, and the trial will take mere months to complete. We are so close now you have to be a pessimist not to be excited.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
This all feels like a leak of a game, and we all wait for the announcement if its real or not and if its good lol

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps, but your natural hairs will still be subject to androgen damage. If you don't want those to fall out you will still need an anti-androgen. Either that or pay for the procedure again after so many years, which is going to be expensive. I would think almost everyone would opt to continue taking finasteride.
Natural hair needs androgens, without DHT sebaceous gland don´t operate and then the hair will be without
luster, shine, unmanageable, a type mummy hair

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

We already know their preclinical trials were successful, the picture is on their Twitter account. We may not find out the date they will begin human trials, but we will get the paper detailing their successful method. If we don't get the date Wednesday then we'll get it soon after from the media, and the trial will take mere months to complete. We are so close now you have to be a pessimist not to be excited.
By preclinical trials do you mean their growing of hair on mice? That's been achieved by many companies already so it doesn't really amount to much with respect to what they're trying to accomplish.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, may I ask if this would work like a transplant, being permanent, but giving you unlimited supply of follicles -> natural density/hairline?
Would love to hear some comments of knowledged people, as I am not well informed of all this stuff.
That's the idea yeah, they showed that they could plant hair follicle germs at close to natural density and they should be able to create tens of thousands of hair follicle germs from iPSCs and a small sample from the donor area.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the idea yeah, they showed that they could plant hair follicle germs at close to natural density and they should be able to create tens of thousands of hair follicle germs from iPSCs and a small sample from the donor area.
Thats great to hear! I wonder if those new bioengineered follicles will be 4real insensitive to androgens, like the donor hair... hm

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"We already know their preclinical trials were successful"

No. They announced the beginning of pre clinical studies in 2018 and then went silent about the subject for years and in 2020 Organ closed shop.

Let keep it real, this is the exactly opposite of you would expect would happen if they were successful. Chances are they failed and rebooted the research with a new approach or solution.

frank33

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you think it will take for prices to drop down to affordable for "normal" people?

sevenseers

Reaction score
"We already know their preclinical trials were successful"

No. They announced the beginning of pre clinical studies in 2018 and then went silent about the subject for years and in 2020 Organ closed shop.

Let keep it real, this is the exactly opposite of you would expect would happen if they were successful. Chances are they failed and rebooted the research with a new approach or solution.
would be great anyways if they failed but now have a better or improved approach. I hope its the start of clinical trials though

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
would be great anyways if they failed but now have a better or improved approach. I hope its the start of clinical trials though
Agree. We have high expectations for the announcement but regardless just the fact that they are still trying is already good news.

Frenchboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
On twitter they are really teasing as f***, It will be surprising if it's not something that is significant.
10:00 AM (UK TIME) to know, see you tmw guys !