RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
However, we should consider that the transparency of Riken was very weak in the past, Stemson did a better job...
And being transparent to the "world" is really important, in my eyes.
The way I see it, transparency is natural when you have good news to share and results to show off. Staying silent is what companies do when they have nothing to show.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
However, we should consider that the transparency of Riken was very weak in the past, Stemson did a better job...
And being transparent to the "world" is really important, in my eyes.
Stemson has to raise funds. RIKEN is funded by the Japanese government. There was no reason for them to talk until their work was complete.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps, but your natural hairs will still be subject to androgen damage. If you don't want those to fall out you will still need an anti-androgen. Either that or pay for the procedure again after so many years, which is going to be expensive. I would think almost everyone would opt to continue taking finasteride.
But what when you are at your final norwood stage: 7, and do this procedure!?

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If they publish succesful pre-clinical work this will be all over the internet on wednesday lol

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then you better hope the price youngjet reported isn't for 10,000 hairs, but for a full scalp.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to what they've said, you'd be a viable candidate unless you've lost even the hairs on the back of your head in which case you're out of luck. If you suspect that might happen to you, you better get some hairs preserved via Hairclone asap.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then you better hope the price youngjet reported isn't for 10,000 hairs, but for a full scalp.
D: Very true. We (my family) will send my dad asap to one of those clinics as a test subject DDDD: (NW7 since 25yo, now 50yo) fingerscrossed for him lol

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or dogecoin

20210208_230728.jpg

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson has to raise funds. RIKEN is funded by the Japanese government. There was no reason for them to talk until their work was complete.
Hopefully the quality of hair if they transplanted into human skin will be good and mimic donor region hair.
This lab plans to transplant skin germs into the scalp. Does that mean it can grow in good quality without the need of a scaffold like stemson needed?

I remember in one of their previous publications they said the DP cells from the donor region lack an enzyme that makes them susceptible to miniaturization. So it would mean that the newly formed hairs should be resistant as well

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but Tsuji is working basically on cloning grafts right? This will definitely help some higher norwood guys, but I don't see how is that a cure for Norwood 2 guy. Those hairs will still have to be transplanted, and they will still fight for blood supply, meaning we won't achieve natural density. Another problem would be even if we transplant 25000 FU on scalp with norwood 7, will they even survive? Operation this big would cause a lot of scalp trauma. Not pessimistic, just don't see how Tsuji would realistically work with transplant methods we have right now.

No, he's not cloning grafts. He's implanting cells into the scalp. It's going to be less invasive than a typical transplant. They implant just a hair germ with a tiny nylon thread. Still, it might be limited to around 10,000 in one procedure.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but Tsuji is working basically on cloning grafts right? This will definitely help some higher norwood guys, but I don't see how is that a cure for Norwood 2 guy. Those hairs will still have to be transplanted, and they will still fight for blood supply, meaning we won't achieve natural density. Another problem would be even if we transplant 25000 FU on scalp with norwood 7, will they even survive? Operation this big would cause a lot of scalp trauma. Not pessimistic, just don't see how Tsuji would realistically work with transplant methods we have right now.
I mean it depends on how you define a cure. If hair cloning or w/e becomes available you can probably get any hairline you want though you probably won't get your teenage density back. But even with current hair transplantation methods you can get a densely packed result good enough that no one could tell you were balding and you could go swimming in sunlight without any scalp showing, and that's all we would really "need". Beyond that the only difference is not being able to move a comb through your thick, thick mane.

Hlbgone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to remain in that comfortable medium of neither optimist nor pessimist. Just "waitandseeist" hoping it will lead to better things but I still believe it may require more years to be accessible to the public.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
would tsuji works for someone with extremely thin donor area or dupa? or would you still need a decent density in the donor area not to end up with "thin" transplanted hair , if i remember correctly in 2016 he said that he could work on adjusting the density but maybe i'm totally wrong just asking if someoe knows. thanks

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Honestly I'm a bit fed up about hearing this drivel. "Blood supply" is just something you whipped out as a substitute for your insipid grasp of things. Despite mentioning blood supply, Dr. Rassman says it's possible to transplant more dense than your original density.

"I have seen men with better than 100% of their original density in the recipient area (>100 FUE/cm square). This was not done by me, but rather from an immoral doctor who told normal men they they needed hair transplants (for him to make money). He had a lot of charisma so he sold innocent young men hair. As this doctor was in Beverly Hills, I would see some of his patients and was able to measure higher than normal donor densities because he make them that way. I learned that more hair can always be added but good judgment would require a reasonable replacement density in the recipient area of a balding man of about 50% of the original recipient area density in a person with an average hair thickness. For fine haired people, that target might be higher, but more grafts means more donor site depletion. Dr. Erdogan and I have mutual respect for each other and I am sure that any discussion between the two of us would align. Possibly, what I was talking about in my bladingblog post was either less clearly defined or misunderstood. Maybe this writing clarifies where I am coming from.

William Rassman, M.D."

Earlier from Dr. Rassman's baldingblog :

"There is no limitation on the density of transplanted hairs, except on a per session basis. How close you can put the grafts together during surgery depend on the width of the grafts (not hair). Some grafts can be 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch wide.
"If you are a Norwood 3 and want the original donor hair density, then it may be possible with multiple surgeries."

"You must understand that hair transplant surgery involves moving hair from one location to another location. It does not create new hair. Let’s say that you got 35% of your original density in one session, then you want the same number of grafts transplanted again, assuming that the donor supply is as good, you can probably come close to doubling the 35%. Again, if you then wanted to do another 35% equivalent grafts, you will be getting close to 100% of the original density. There is actually some limits to this process, for example, what is the size of the donor area, the blood supply and the availability of grafts from the donor area. When grafts are placed very, very close together, we call this term dense packing"

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, he's not cloning grafts. He's implanting cells into the scalp. It's going to be less invasive than a typical transplant. They implant just a hair germ with a tiny nylon thread. Still, it might be limited to around 10,000 in one procedure.
that sounds like it would get cheap fast don't you think?

If its just one small injection it probably doesn't need the expertise of a specially skilled surgeon?

i guess its not worth speculating about till its out. Not like i would be able to afford it till it was years off patent