Revivogen

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
kilimanjaro said:
you can buy all the ingredients in Revivogen separately and at a cheaper cost!

I would be VERY VERY curious to know where you could buy the fatty acids separately! :)

Bryan

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
flax oil contains 55-60 % alpha linoleic acid (ALA =omega 3)

borage oil contains 20-25 % gamma linoleic acid (GLA = omega 6 )

Rudiratlos

Reaction score
Free form... yeah free fatty acids..means they are not inside adipose tissue?? whats your point..

poly Un.sat Acids.. taken orally have a positive effect on anti inflamatory agents (like TNF, and protaglandines off groep 3)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rudiratlos said:
Free form... yeah free fatty acids..means they are not inside adipose tissue?? whats your point..

A free fatty acid is an isolated one that's not chemically attached to a molecule of glycerol to form a mono-, di-, or triglyceride; or any other ester, for that matter.

The point is as I've already said: only free-form fatty acids inhibit the 5a-reductase enzyme. You can't apply borage oil or flax oil to your scalp and expect it to work like Revivogen.

Rudiratlos said:
poly Un.sat Acids.. taken orally have a positive effect on anti inflamatory agents (like TNF, and protaglandines off groep 3)

That's a separate issue. Certain dietary unsaturated fatty acids *may* have a beneficial effect like you describe, but that doesn't really have anything to do with how Revivogen works, nor is it a direct substitute for Revivogen.

Bryan

Dismembered

Reaction score
Well, I just wanted to add a quick update. It has been almost five months off Propecia, and my hair has improved. At least I can cover my scalp again when it's dry. After doing this twice, it is very obvious I suffered a major Telogen Effluvium. I don't think I'll ever take a medication that messes with my hormones again.

My hair is still thinning slowly and I feel I have lost some density compared to a little over a year ago before I started Propecia. However, my hair is thicker now compared to six months ago because of the Telogen Effluvium.

Anyway, so far I believe that topical spironolactone and Revivogen both seem to be doing a decent job at maintaining. I'll stick with this for another six months and see if there are any changes.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi Dis -

Could you elaborate on why you think spironolactone/Revivogen are doing a good job of maintaining if you say you've noticed continued thinning even though you've been on them for 5 months?

I have continued to thin despite being on them for 1 month. 1 month is too early to judge a treatment by, but based on that I wouldn't say that they're working. Thanks for any clarification.

HairLossTalk.com

Linda Marie

Reaction score
I am happy to hear of the iron. Due to the way insurance is set up I have to go to my MD first who will probable preform blood work and go from there. I do have hair thinning on my fathers side which is both males and females. I try and eat the right foods and get my work outs in. I have no children and on no meds. It has been very stressful with this problem and I would be happy if my doctor told me it was iron. I did not realize my hair thinning until the last month or so it just creeps up on you. I agree it will take awhile for the new growth just like the thinning. I think I was in denial also
I will keep you posted. I go this Tues and then go from there
Linda Marie l :)

Dismembered

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Hi Dis -

Could you elaborate on why you think spironolactone/Revivogen are doing a good job of maintaining if you say you've noticed continued thinning even though you've been on them for 5 months?

I have continued to thin despite being on them for 1 month. 1 month is too early to judge a treatment by, but based on that I wouldn't say that they're working. Thanks for any clarification.

HairLossTalk.com

Well, it gets kind of complicated. When I went on Propecia in May of 2001, I phased out Revivogen for about five or six months. I thought Propecia could do the job. After around seven or eight months into treatment, I was already going through a Telogen Effluvium and decided to add Prox-N in October and Revivogen in November of 2001. Also, prior to going back on Propecia I used Revivogen by itself for about five months.

Anyway, when I was on Propecia I started at 0.25 mg and after a few weeks and months slowly worked up to 1 mg. Since the Telogen Effluvium did not improve on using 1 mg steady for about three months I slowly reduced dosage to .5, 0.25, and then 0.25 every other day until the end of May 2002. I have also phased out Prox-N just a little while ago since the only reason I added it was because I was freaking out about the Telogen Effluvium. I thought adding a growth stimulator would help but it didn't do much; however, it did soothe the scalp like Revivogen.

So to get back on the subject, I have been using Revivogen since November 2001 and I added spironolactone roughly around the time I completely went off finasteride.

Since I have gone through a Telogen Effluvium for about a year, it is very difficult to determine what is working. I am still within the time frame to recover from a Telogen Effluvium, which is four to six months after the event that triggered it.

So I think Revivogen and spironolactone are helping to maintain my hair because since the time I have been using them my hair has only improved. Also, we know that my hair was going to improve anyway because I was undergoing a Telogen Effluvium, but my hair now is not worse then it was before I added spironolactone and Revivogen.

So based on all that, I cannot prove 100% that these treatments have maintained my hair, which is why I am going to continue using them for six months and see if there are any changes. Either way, Revivogen and spironolactone are helping to slow down hairloss. If I can delay it for another few more years, then new treatments like this "hairSwitch", or something else might be the answer.

I was also wondering if you use Revivogen and Dr. Lee's spironolactone in the same day. If so, how do you make time to use these topicals twice a day?

Thanks.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi Linda - your posts would be very helpful for our female readers in the female forums. You're probably already aware that you're posting in the male forums so 99% of the readers here have a different type of hair loss than you do. Good luck with your progress and thumbs up to you for taking the initiative to find out how to stop it! :)

Dismembered - you're right, that was very complicated. :)

Applying the two products is very difficult. The revivogen people were very adimant that spironolactone should not be applied with or right before or after applying Revivogen. They said it might affect absorption. They told me spironolactone should only be applied a minimum of 3 hours after applying Revivogen. This would make it nearly impossible for someone with a normal lifestyle.

I apply Revivogen immediately as I get out of the shower. I then let it absorb/dry for about a half hour to 45 mins while I get ready, depending on how much time I have available. I then apply the spironolactone cream just before I leave.

I do the same process about an hour before I go to bed.

HairLossTalk.com

diskobox

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
I apply Revivogen immediately as I get out of the shower. I then let it absorb/dry for about a half hour to 45 mins while I get ready, depending on how much time I have available. I then apply the spironolactone cream just before I leave.
You might want to note this:

"Revivogen is a stand alone product used once a day. It needs 3 hours with no other products they will decrease the effectiveness of Revivogen. ]If used after a shower your hair can only be damp not wet this will also decrease the effectiveness. We recommend that you apply the 1ML dropper of the therapy to the area 1 hour before bed time this gives it time to soak in before you go to bed and time to work over night. The dropper should be placed directly on the scalp and slowly dragged through the hair lines then spread out to cover the affected area.

Best Regards,

Judy
Revivogen Customer Service"

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Revivogen also says that some people may need to apply it twice per day, in our Revivogen FAQ here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productrevi ... view.htm#8

I was aware of the 3 hour rule, but they also state that it cannot be applied after Topical spironolactone, how would one apply Revivogen twice daily as well as apply Topical spironolactone twice daily, and still meet these three criteria?
It must:

1. Not be used after a shower
2. Not be used after applying Topical spironolactone
3. Must be used 3 hours before applying anything else

HairLossTalk.com

hotdillon

Reaction score
Can you apply revivogen and still go out in public...in other words is it messy?

What is the proof Revivogen works?...those photos on their website look a little doctored.

Hairlosstalk, how are you coming along with it...are you using just the topical application and the shampoo?

Dismembered

Reaction score
hotdillon said:
Can you apply revivogen and still go out in public...in other words is it messy?

I wouldn't dare try to use it during the day. It smells and it is greasy, so you would probably want to use it before you go to bed. Also, I use about 2.5 ml, so this makes my hair even more smelly and greasy.

I think the product has slowed down my hairloss, and I notice less hair following out. However, if it is enough to stop hairloss on its own then I really don't know. It probably depends on the person.

Hope this helps.

hotdillon

Reaction score
Dismembered, how are you? Thanks for getting back with me.
Let me ask you though, why is it that people are using spironolactone with Revivogen??
spironolactone is unproven, and reviogen at least has clinical trials!!!
Which works best for you???

cupnoodle

Reaction score
to me, having a clinical trial or not is the same, spironolactone at least be known of its power in blocking DHT, but not known when apply it on head

so some people rather go to the FDA trial approved products for clinical trial means nothing much to them

Dismembered

Reaction score
hotdillon said:
Dismembered, how are you? Thanks for getting back with me.
Let me ask you though, why is it that people are using spironolactone with Revivogen??
spironolactone is unproven, and reviogen at least has clinical trials!!!
Which works best for you???

As far as I know, Revivogen does not have any clinical trials. They have done some user trials, and HairLossTalk.com also did a user trial.

I am not 100% sure, but I think there are some studies that show spironolactone works as an anti-androgen and could be used to treat Androgenetic Alopecia. Also, the ingredients in Revivogen are proven to reduce DHT as well. You may want to ask Bryan Shelton about the studies on spironolactone and FFA.

See yeah.

hotdillon

Reaction score
Where can I find the Hairloss Talk user trials with Revivogen?? I've searched everwhere and cant find them!!!

diskobox

Reaction score
Just got my Revivogen. The solution almost smells like rubbing alcohol!

Oh well, I'll be putting it on before I go to bed anyway.

Right now I'm just looking to maintain and am not even that sure I have progressive hairloss or thin hair... it's never really changed for 4 years.

However, if it improves my hair, I'll let you all know.

diskobox

Reaction score
Ok, my impressions after applying it twice.

I expected this to be some sort of a cream and was worried about difficulty applying. Not the case. It's actually a liquid. I personally prefer liquids for dense hair areas. I think it's easier to apply.

I had tried Nioxin products before. Mainly just the shampoo, but then I tried their Semodex Scalp Serum. Really, really greasy and hard to apply since it was so thick. I also don't believe it's actually effective. I think Nioxin has some good hair care products, but I don't think they provide any results with hair loss.

I don't mind the smell, it actually smells kinda good in its own strong and obnoxious way. ;)

Time will tell the rest.