Results With Topical Finasteride - Has It Worked For Anyone?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is probably been asked a million times. Has anyone actually had decent results (regrowth ideally) from using a topical finasteride solution? I am 1 month into using a 6% minoxidil, 0.2% finasteride solution compounded by a pharmacy. No change in hair yet, but libido is noticeably down.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Regrowth from oral finasteride is uncommon as it is, regrowth from topical finasteride would be exceptionally rare. Why don't you just use oral finasteride? Or dutasteride?

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
After many years orally, I switched to topical (15% minoxidil) and after 6 months I can say that I’m losing ground . Topical isn’t nowhere near as potent as taking it orally imo.

J104

My Regimen
Reaction score
The study could be off. Who knows. Finasteride is an interesting drug...

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried oral finastaride twice before and got terrible ball ache so had to stop. This time on topical i have no ball ache at all.

What does 1 ml of 0.2% solution, twice per day, equate to in terms of once daily oral tablet?

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried oral finastaride twice before and got terrible ball ache so had to stop. This time on topical i have no ball ache at all.

What does 1 ml of 0.2% solution, twice per day, equate to in terms of once daily oral tablet?

How long were you taking it before stopping? It can be common to experience different side effects initially and then usually the side effects stop once your body adapts to it .

I experienced some minor side effects over the years while taking it orally and have not experienced any while using the topical BUT it hasn’t had any positive effect on my hair .

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
After many years orally, I switched to topical (15% minoxidil) and after 6 months I can say that I’m losing ground . Topical isn’t nowhere near as potent as taking it orally imo.

What topical finasteride did you use?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
How long were you taking it before stopping? It can be common to experience different side effects initially and then usually the side effects stop once your body adapts to it .

I experienced some minor side effects over the years while taking it orally and have not experienced any while using the topical BUT it hasn’t had any positive effect on my hair .

I got the ball ache after just a couple of doses and i am talking crippling ache. why did you switch to the topical?

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on oral for 5 years. I've tried switching to Dr. Carlos Wesley topical and I got ball ache around week 2. I stopped for 2 months tried the tropical again and got ball ache so I threw the crap out.
Next week I'm trying Dr. Coles topical.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am trialing the MinoxidilMax Essengen which has 0.05% finasteride & 6% minoxidil. Too early to tell if it making any difference but the sides are not as bad as with the 1mg of finasteride but still present. I think i will top it up with some RU once a day to see if i can enhance the effect over my defuse scalp.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the ball ache after just a couple of doses and i am talking crippling ache. why did you switch to the topical?

Very unusual to experience such side effects using topical, ive never heard of anyone up until now. Well done for stopping.

After 15 years or so taking it oral, I thought to give my body a break and quit finasteride cold turkey but then after a couple of months I decided to try topical. 6 months later I’m slowly but surely losing some ground. Now I’ve reached a crossroad.. Do I give topical more time or do I go back to oral? Decisions.... Decisions.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trialing the MinoxidilMax Essengen which has 0.05% finasteride & 6% minoxidil. Too early to tell if it making any difference but the sides are not as bad as with the 1mg of finasteride but still present. I think i will top it up with some RU once a day to see if i can enhance the effect over my defuse scalp.

The same stuff as I’m using only I went with the 15% version .
Another thing I hate about the topical is the fact that you need to leave it in your hair overnight, smothering it all over your pillow etc... finasteride ends up everywhere eventually.

Good luck with your regimen, keep us posted.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Very unusual to experience such side effects using topical, ive never heard of anyone up until now. Well done for stopping.

After 15 years or so taking it oral, I thought to give my body a break and quit finasteride cold turkey but then after a couple of months I decided to try topical. 6 months later I’m slowly but surely losing some ground. Now I’ve reached a crossroad.. Do I give topical more time or do I go back to oral? Decisions.... Decisions.
To be clear, i stopped the oral after just a few doses due to ball ache. I am 1 month into 0.2% topical finasteride and am experiencing low libido, bloating, difficulty keeping weight down, itchy chest but strangely no ball ache. I am hoping these sides will subside. The low libido in particular is not acceptable. You mention you are using 0.05% finasteride. How much of that are you applying? I am using 0.20% twice per day 1ml each time. Actually I need some help working out how much that equates into in terms of X mg of finasteride. I am applying too much?

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
f*** i am applying 4mg of finasteride to my scalp in total per day if my maths is right. That's huge isn't it?

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
To be clear, i stopped the oral after just a few doses due to ball ache. I am 1 month into 0.2% topical finasteride and am experiencing low libido, bloating, difficulty keeping weight down, itchy chest but strangely no ball ache. I am hoping these sides will subside. The low libido in particular is not acceptable. You mention you are using 0.05% finasteride. How much of that are you applying? I am using 0.20% twice per day 1ml each time. Actually I need some help working out how much that equates into in terms of X mg of finasteride. I am applying too much?

I thought you got the aches on topical ? Makes sense now... Whilst I’vr been on topical, ive experienced no sides and the return of the morning wood daily.
I’m supposedly taking 1mg of finasteride per 60ml application , but who knows? If you’re taking 4mg then that explains your symptoms . Way too high .

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** i am applying 4mg of finasteride to my scalp in total per day if my maths is right. That's huge isn't it?
Yeah mate that 4-5% is for people with prostate cancer. Will kill everything you enjoy at those levels.