Replicel

powersam

Reaction score
dudemon said:
FYI, it is quite common for investors mix up the probabilities of returns in their portfolios. For example, in their portfolio they may have 25% low risk, 50% medium risk, 15% medium to high, and 10% very high. It is likely the Replicel/Tricoscience venture lies in that high risk level, or up near it.

They include high-risk ventures, expecting (and knowing) that 9 out of 10 of them to fail within the first 6 months. Trico/Replicel is likely one of them. On the other hand, they are hoping that 1 out of 10 will be a 'home run.' The 'bio tech' bubble of today is a lot like the 'dot com' bubble a few decades ago, where 9 out of every 10 startups failed. So by purchasing a high risk venture, they are 'swinging for the fences,' as they say in baseball (but they are more likely to strike out).

Sometimes, investment firms may also deliberately incude high risk investments to use as a tax write off, knowing that it will go belly-up. I know US firms do that all the time and Canadian ones probably follow suit. So, in that sense, a "high profit potential" is not always the objective.

One does not put money into something because it is high risk, they put money into it because it is high risk but with the possibility of high reward. 9 out of 10 may fail, but you can bet every single one of those 10 had a the capability for high reward. Noone educated invests in high risk, low reward.

Could you give me one example of a company making an investment of this magnitude, planning for it to go belly up for a tax write off?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Yeah, there is probably still some possibility of profit, but not much, IMO. Otherwise, their old investors would not have pulled out.

Are you serious? If they get this product to work the profit will be HUGE. A product that maintains and regrows hair is huge.

dudemon said:
Bottom line:
The old investors were not willing to stay vested in the company. Therefore, the majority was 'bought out' by acquiring more than 50% of their common shares, giving them a controlling majority. Hence, they "bought them out."

FYI, it is quite common for investors mix up the probabilities of returns in their portfolios. For example, in their portfolio they may have 25% low risk, 50% medium risk, 15% medium to high, and 10% very high. It is likely the Replicel/Tricoscience venture lies in that high risk level, or up near it.

They include high-risk ventures, expecting (and knowing) that 9 out of 10 of them to fail within the first 6 months. Trico/Replicel is likely one of them. On the other hand, they are hoping that 1 out of 10 will be a 'home run.' The 'bio tech' bubble of today is a lot like the 'dot com' bubble a few decades ago, where 9 out of every 10 startups failed. So by purchasing a high risk venture, they are 'swinging for the fences,' as they say in baseball (but they are more likely to strike out).

Sometimes, investment firms may also deliberately incude high risk investments to use as a tax write off, knowing that it will go belly-up. I know US firms do that all the time and Canadian ones probably follow suit. So, in that sense, a "high profit potential" is not always the objective.

Nobody invest expecting it to fail. The investors will be expecting it to succeed. You should only worry when nobody invests.

dudemon said:
Newcastle investors will dump the project when the results fail in about 6 months. Trico's invesotrs have already done just that, which is why they were acquired by venture capitalist looking to add a 'high risk' investment to their portfolio.

When the results come back dismal they will be no more. And in 6 months, I will be back here again saying, "I told you so!"

What makes you say this? What is the basis for your prediction or is it just based on being negative for every single new technology because the rest have disappointed you?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Example: Although eBay did not purchase Skype with the sole intensive purpose of using it for a tax write off, this is what it turned into. Withn a year after the purchase of Skype, it became apparent that it was headed for BK. eBay scaled it down (and sold their controlling interest I believe) and held on to a portion to use as a bad debt tax write off - a tax shelter.

Yea, and ebay sold the controlling stake for about $2bn and the investors are now selling it to Microsoft for about $8bn. Seems like a missed opportunity by ebay.

Anyway, I don't agree with your argument, but I understand your view. I'll tell you what, if Replicel does ever take off, I will send you a PM to let you know. :). I'm hoping for 2016 - 2017. I know you hope I am right. :)

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
I'm hoping for 2016 - 2017. I know you hope I am right.
we all hoping that, but empirically this is bound to fail too

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I think dudemon should be banned for channeling negative energy and gaining personal pleasure from predicting and seeing hairloss companies go belly up. What are you even doing on the forums, bro? I thought this was a place for hope and and encouragement... just sayin :dunno:

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
nohawk said:
I think dudemon should be banned for channeling negative energy...
Banned? No, everyone has the right to speech and expression of his/her own opinion. As long as the others participating to the discussion are being respected, this is an irrefutable right.

Besides, as of now there is zero evidence that a solution is remotely possible through the development of these new, very promising on paper, bio-technologies. Not a bit that a real progress has been made.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
what a GIGANTIC LOAD OF MANURE!!!

I've only been balding for 3 years and i've seen dozens of these companies pop up and then go under. Its all bullsh**

These are all a bunch a money making gimmicks taking advantage of idiotic investers and the unfortunate desperate and gullible bald people

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
baldinglikeamofo said:

I've only been balding for 3 years and i've seen dozens of these companies pop up and then go under. Its all bullsh**

These are all a bunch a money making gimmicks taking advantage of idiotic investers and the unfortunate desperate and gullible bald people

u're totally wrong!

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
taking advantage of idiotic investers

I'm not sure most investors would be stupid enough to invest in these companies blindly. However, it has to be said there have been very few results in the shape of photographic evidence.

They all seem to be conducting tests to determine safety. Maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest these products work. From my own research of Histogen for example, their results haven't been particularly impressive.

EffBalding

Reaction score
Not to mention the video is probably misleading a lot of people. From what I've read, their trials are for safety purposes to see if the injections are even safe. I'm assuming the trials are not used to determine whether or not the injections work, because the probably won't. I'm assuming the problem is figuring out a way to make the injections work.

"RepliCel’s current research activity is aimed at translating the scientific discoveries made by research scientists Drs. Kevin McElwee and Rolf Hoffmann. The scientists found that dermal sheath cup-derived cells carry the potential to induce the formation of new hair follicles in animals."

I hope they succeed.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Dudemon. You are entitled to your opinion. I think it is good to not get carried away, a balance is necessary. Sometimes though it is nice to be hopeful, it gives us something to aim for.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
thx for the news and vids.....

Heres hoping we get something, just a shame I think something like this maybe 10-20 years away by then ill be in my 50s and no chance then :(

Still a 60+ year old man walking slowly down the street with a full head of hair should match my walking cane at least :)

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
baldinglikeamofo said:

u're totally wrong!

are you willing to put money on it? We have witnesses in this form that will back up any bet.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
nohawk said:
one of the board members resigned.... we got hosed again. http://www.replicel.com/appointment-of- ... directors/
From the page you linked to, I see that the new person is specialized in tax planning, acquisitions and divestitures, re-organizations and estate planning. So I suppose that the member he replaces was more or less the same. It does not sound like a failure is ahead.

Yes, in the end we may be hosed again but not because of that.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
that resignition has nothing to do with the replicel procedure.Anyway now after looking at their website I have seen that the clinical trials are conducted in Tiblisi , in Georgia, Europe.Somehow I like better that this procedure is developed in Europe rather than in USA.

powersam

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
that resignition has nothing to do with the replicel procedure.Anyway now after looking at their website I have that the clinical trials are conducted in Tiblisi , in Georgia, Europe.Somehow I like better that this procedure is developed in Europe rather than in USA.

Well yeah, they're not under the corrupt yoke of the FDA.