Replicel

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Once these cells are injected into areas of hair loss in humans, our scientists anticipate they will develop hair-producing follicles and initiate natural hair regeneration. They will also migrate into follicles that are still present but in early stages of damage – this is a rejuvenation measure and also a preventative measure against further miniaturization of the hair follicle. The new hair follicles and rejuvenated hair follicles are expected to have resistance to miniaturization caused by androgen hormones, the major cause of androgenetic alopecia.

The new cells injected will not carry enough androgen receptors to be affected by androgens – so the injected cells disrupt the underlying mechanism of hair loss. With significantly reduced numbers of cells with androgen receptors in the newly formed follicles, the androgens cannot act on the hair follicles and as such ongoing miniaturization and baldness should be prevented from occurring. In rejuvenated follicles some original androgen-responsive cells will remain. However, the injected cells will not respond to androgens. The growth signals from the injected cells should compensate for the loss of signal from the resident androgen-responsive cells.

http://www.replicel.com/our-science/key ... eneration/

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a look at their website and this paragraph stood out:

Dr. McElwee was appointed to the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia in 2004. Two years later, he and Dr. Hofmann founded TrichoScience Innovations Inc. (now controlled by Newcastle Resources Ltd. doing business as Replicel Life Sciences*) with three other internationally recognized hair research scientists – Drs. Jerry Shapiro, David McLean, Harvey Lui as well as a local entrepreneur Matt Wayrynen. RepliCel is now focused on translating Dr. McElwee and Prof. Hoffmann’s scientific discoveries into a safe, non-surgical solution for treating androgenetic alopecia and other forms of hair loss in men and women.

Now I have heard of:

TrichoScience & Shapiro.

I dont know who or what they are though, does anyone with more knowledge know if that makes this product more, or less likely to be effective?

F-M-DHT

Reaction score
@ finfighter -
yes it's exactly the same as what you posted!

It's quite exciting when you look at the experts that they have on board, however I do think that what they are doing is aiming very high! their initial product if it gets to that stage (and fingers crossed it will) will probably need improvement. But I can't see this as anything other than a possitive move.

The fact that there's some big runners now in the race all at once is great, aderans, histogen, "The German scientists" as they are fondly known if they find a good partner or funder, I've also read that an Australian university are working on what the Germans have achieved to produce a greater yeild, I also see follica have recently put in a new patent (even though I can't see them really producing anything solid soon). And although I very much doubt ACell i'll mention it anyway.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
So the clinician will not need complicated training with the supplied kit to cut the dermal sheath cup and place the exposed cells in a solution. So if the whole procedure takes 2 hours, then the multiplication of the cells would take less than 2 hours. This is a procedure will they'll pluck a 10 or 20 hairs and you could come back the next do to get you injections.

There is a couple of things that concern me. First of all, I don't think this procedure is going to cost a lot, however, what the paper mentioned was the potential for clinics to make a sizable margin on this procedure. So you may have to shop around for the best price. The other thing is, since the clinician will not need complicated training or equipment, you may not only have doctors applying this procedure but the assistants. A clinic who is receiving a high number of patients for this procedure, especially those that are charging less than the market, the possibility of having an accident, mistaken identity, injecting or transplanting some else hair cell follicles into your scalp is a risk.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
From Website
Development Timeline

RepliCel’s hair-cell replacement procedure is now undergoing further rigorous study to determine effectiveness. The first human clinical trials (Phase I/IIa) began in Europe in December 2010. Canadian clinical trials are planned for 2012, with European trials to follow.

Its not a drug therapy which is a good news. Will it work? I really hope so. I don't know what they mean by phase IIa and don't want to guess, but there willingness to commit to trails in Canada and Europe is a positive sign.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
somone uk said:
is it just me or biotechs have a habbit of buying each other
This is actually trichoscience
Well, yes, but from what they say in the end of the page you posted above, their technology is something that existed independently. In view of this, the acquisition of Trichoscience may be a bad or a good thing: either they don't have confidence in what they achieved, or they see light in the tunnel and they want to proactively incorporate a potentially competitive company.

EffBalding

Reaction score
Replicel is the technology owned by Newcastle Resources LTD. Newcastle Resources LTD acquired 55% of the Trichoscience making it majority owner. Just take a look at their financial statements, if you understand it. They definitely need more investors or this company will go under fast. It all comes down to what their clinical trial results show, hopefully this company doesn't go down before then, I wouldn't doubt it considering their cash flow statements. Small money we're talking about here, but then again I haven't really researched any recent company activity. I DEFINITELY would NOT get my hopes up with this company.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at the compensation table, Dr. Shapiro's portion of common shares is going to make him a hell of a lot of money if Replicel becomes successful.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ReachTheEnd said:
Replicel is the technology owned by Newcastle Resources LTD. Newcastle Resources LTD acquired 55% of the Trichoscience making it majority owner. Just take a look at their financial statements, if you understand it. They definitely need more investors or this company will go under fast. It all comes down to what their clinical trial results show, hopefully this company doesn't go down before then, I wouldn't doubt it considering their cash flow statements. Small money we're talking about here, but then again I haven't really researched any recent company activity. I DEFINITELY would NOT get my hopes up with this company.

Disagree actually.

Whether or not Replicel has money the only major factor is if they can offer a good solution that helps prevent hair loss.

They have the funding to do the trials and they will have a good idea in 6 months, and know a lot better in 1-2 years. If the product is good they will get all the investment they need. If the product is crap, they will most likely fail.

ICX failed because they did not produce good enough results. Thus meaning that the company would have to research more, delaying years, causing investors to walk away.

Also the fact that the founders are using their own money shows the confidence they have in their own product.

powersam

Reaction score
dudemon said:
They got bought out because there was no profit potential, and investors were NOT willing to take a gamble. Repicel bought them out similar to the way ARI bought the remains of ICX after their bankruptcy.

There is no mystery here.

That makes no sense whatsoever. They got bought because Replicel saw value in the company and/or their patents and research.

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
dudemon said:
They got bought out because there was no profit potential, and investors were NOT willing to take a gamble. Repicel bought them out similar to the way ARI bought the remains of ICX after their bankruptcy.

That makes no sense whatsoever. They got bought because Replicel saw value in the company and/or their patents and research.

I agree. Companies get bought out when they either pose a threat or when they have some value worth buying.... why would a company merge with one that has no profit potential and crap value?

powersam

Reaction score
dudemon said:
powersam said:
dudemon said:

My prediction:

Newcastle investors will dump the project when the results fail in about 6 months. Trico's invesotrs have already done just that, which is why they were acquired by venture capitalist looking to add a 'high risk' investment to their portfolio.

When the results come back dismal they will be no more. And in 6 months, I will be back here again saying, "I told you so!"

Even if that all happens exactly as you predict, the line 'They got bought out because there was no profit potential' would still make zero sense.

powersam

Reaction score
dudemon said:
powersam said:
Even if that all happens exactly as you predict, the line 'They got bought out because there was no profit potential' would still make zero sense.

Actually, it does make sense. Let me elaborate:
Trico's board of directors elected to allow new investors to take the majority of control by purchasing > 50% of the shares. The reason for this is most likely their previous investors decided they wanted to pull out and sell their majority of shares, and were not willing to fund another round of testing and research, due to the simple fact that the hair regeneration product was deemed as a probable failure.

The new investors were willing to add a high risk venture to their portfolio; while their old investorss wanted out.

This is basically what I said before, just more specific.

What doesn't make sense?

New investors would not put money into a high risk venture if it did not also have the possibility of high reward. Therefore the new investors MUST have seen the possibility of profit.

Hence, 'They got bought out because there was no profit potential', did not make sense, and still does not make sense.