Reminiscing of another time

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, tonight was a beautiful fall night in Texas... The sky was so clear that the blackness seemed almost surreal and the stars seemed exceptionally bright. I stood outside in my backyard while my dogs sniffed around the yard for scents only they could perceive. A gentle breeze blew and in the background a lone dog's bark filled the cool crisp void.

I just stared looking at the sky... Remember a long lost love... A time when I had no worries... My days were filled with excitement and my nights spent warm next to a women I loved with all my heart... So much so I remember thinking to myself, before I fell asleep, not even heaven could feel this good.

I remember waking-up in the morning and actually liking the person I saw looking back at me in the mirror... Now, as I stood outside this beautiful fall evening, I could only think of the past and of all those colds nights I spent laying in the back of our pick-up, drinking beer, and making love under a sky that looked just like tonight's. For just a brief moment I felt in my heart a passion that died what seemed so long ago.

I guess I should be thankful my hairloss isnt bad (yet)... I can still pretty much pass for someone without hairloss... But that is only because I put the effort into making it look that way... Gone are the days of waking up with long thick brown hair that no matter how much I abused it, it always looked good... Catching the stares of young girls in the swimming pool looking my way as I would swim with my ex... Getting out of the pool only to catch a glimpse of myself in the huge glass window/mirrors and think, "Damn, I do look good".

I never grew up with "good looks" until around the age of 17/18... Then I started to "bloom" if you will and knew for the first time in my life what it was like to be the guy all the girls wanted. 18yrs of nothing only to have 5yrs of everything I felt I didnt have when I was younger.

Now I guess I can pass for "average" and my hairloss can be concealed. However, the thought of getting out of the swimming pool with my hair grown out and slicked back is but a memory... All those days at the beach driving my sports car on the strip with my T-tops down, my favorite CD blasting, and my hair blowing carelessly in the wind gone... Those Texas fall evenings, just like tonight, laying naked outside with the girl I love running her fingers through my hair whispering dirty words in my ear... It all seems like a life-time ago.

Maybe I'm being selfish and maybe I'm being vain but it still f*cking sucks. There are people worse off then I for sure but having gone through everything I did for the first 18yrs of my life I thought I atleast deserved more then 5yrs of happiness. I'm grateful in many ways for what I do have but nothing seems to compare to the way my life was when I was 19.

Hairloss and dealing with everything that comes with it has really taken a toll on me that I dont think I fully appreciated until tonight. I feel like there has to be an answer to my troubles out there somewhere... A path back to a guy who loves life again. I sometimes wonder if it isnt right in front of my face; staring at me; challenging me to recognize it. I think the only fate worse then feeling the way I do now is to someday realize I had the key to happiness right in front of my face and I just couldnt see it! How cruel that would be... To live a life in sorrow only to realize when it is too late that it was all unnecessary.

What if one day you opened your eyes and, instead of seeing the room you went to sleep in the night before, you saw God. If He showed you what could have been if you only were willing to see past your own vanity and insecurities, what would say? I looked up at the Texas sky tonight and instead of thinking I found heaven (as I did with my first love), I wondered if I just got a little closer to understanding Hell.

Brian

SE-freak

Reaction score
Brian, life is not the same as when 19 for a million reasons. Hair is not necessarily one of them.

Thank you for this personal piece.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Brian,

That was very well written. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I feel empty inside, too. I hope that we will all eventually find inner peace.

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn... reading this little piece brought back memories of better days, damn i miss them better days.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We all do.

I do it sometimes.

I try to forgot about it trying to live my lfe occupied doing the things I like, and studying hard to get a good career.

You can´t stop time, but try it not to run aginst you.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
This post was POETRY. I wonder if he still be getting closer to understanding hell after nearly 2 decades and being bald. Wtf...
Unfortunately, this poster, Socks was an online friend from here and another forum and he died very young. He was a really great person and was the one who helped me the most with hair loss treatment knowledge and support besides the other Bryan. Ironic how they both had the same name but one spelled it different. He also had a great head of hair and was a NW1. RIP Brian and Bryan.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this poster, Socks was an online friend from here and another forum and he died very young. He was a really great person and was the one who helped me the most with hair loss treatment knowledge and support besides the other Bryan. Ironic how they both had the same name but one spelled it different. He also had a great head of hair and was a NW1. RIP Brian and Bryan.
Yep. It's seriously a shame that trolls are on here making a mockery of it. I think some people get an ego boost when they read posts like this. Pretty pathetic that most people have to dig up someone they view as below them in order to get off.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think anybody here tried to make a mockery out of anyone's death. And even doubt there is any ego bost, we are all here for a reason...

Personally it was a nice read so I am glad someone bumped this post.
Whatever you wanna believe lol

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn man, a lot of what you say resonates so f*****g deeply within me. I too grew up in Texas, and I too spent nights watching those fast paced clouds go by, a vision always accompanied by a gorgeous light breeze particularly this time around. I spent so many nights outside just taking it all in. Up north the clouds move a lot slower

God, I miss my damn shadow. It's one of the things I miss the most, walking in the park at night with the lamplight at my back. This figure that I'd see, broad shoulders and thick hair right down to them, I loved who I was. Youth is such a valuable thing man, but at least I know I appreciated it very much at the time. Today if I had long hair it would be a disgrace of a shadow compared to what it once was. In the end you just miss such times like you miss everything else, to be honest if ever I miraculously recovered I wouldn't be able to feel the same. Time just erodes you altogether
I never cared much about looking young, I just wanted to look normal. Before age 50 baldness isn't normal. It is subhuman and people will treat you as such.