regrowth by antiandrogens only , is it possible ?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is possible. It depends on your current situation. Pics?

If your loss isn't aggressive then you may want to hold off on dutasteride since it can increase T by a bit more. Some have reported worsened hairlines on duta, so it depends where your hair loss is located too.

From what I understand, stemoxydine and caffeine are weak stimulants. If your hair loss is in the early stages or you cannot tolerate minoxidil those might be ok substitutes.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering about this. Let’s say you use a weak dose of RU after a microneedling session. Bad absorption mixed with the small dose should mean that it’ll go only slightly systemic. But then microneedling will allow for that dose to completely concentrate on the scalp. Even if it’s a small dose, RU is dose dependent. If you have enough substance to cover the scalp it’ll inhibit androgens at the follicles.

Also, a lot of people need estrogen to get regrowth. Not just AAs
The problem is that unless people going single shot on AA's get tested, we really have very little idea what is going on. Generally people focus on AA's T-lowering spoof-like qualities and we forget the estrogenic effects that AA's might have. I think someone posted on another thread that Bica raises E2 levels substantially.

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is possible. It depends on your current situation. Pics? If your loss isn't aggressive then you may want to hold off on dutasteride since it can increase T by a bit more. Some have reported worsened hairlines on duta, so it depends where your hair loss is located too. From what I understand, stemoxydine and caffeine are weak stimulants. If your hair loss is in the early stages or you cannot tolerate minoxidil those might be ok substitutes.
It is possible. It depends on your current situation. Pics? If your loss isn't aggressive then you may want to hold off on dutasteride since it can increase T by a bit more. Some have reported worsened hairlines on duta, so it depends where your hair loss is located too. From what I understand, stemoxydine and caffeine are weak stimulants. If your hair loss is in the early stages or you cannot tolerate minoxidil those might be ok substitutes.

i'd say i am between 1 and 2 in this pic https://www.google.com/search?q=norwood+scale&sxsrf=ALeKk013rtXMXI8cS_qIUfp0d8woxduTwQ:1612374358413&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=tTXqLIoBX-iL8M%2CyyhvAuE0Pvl65M%2C%2Fm%2F05rz4v&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRJf2MWBbWE2smZnIhtLL_WvltLig&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit24LHos7uAhWFy4UKHbTxBLQQ_B16BAgoEAE#imgrc=tvltFYRd_SCjkM

my hair lost volume but its not visible that i am losing hair on my crown ( i still lost some hair on it too ) , the visible loss is on the temples i just want some regrowth in my crown because i cant really shower or style my hair without losing so much volume that my hair looks flat af and the temples i can hide it

do you think in this case the stack that i listed will help ? i do believe i am in the early stages i am only 18 rn

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i'd say i am between 1 and 2 in this pic https://www.google.com/search?q=norwood+scale&sxsrf=ALeKk013rtXMXI8cS_qIUfp0d8woxduTwQ:1612374358413&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=tTXqLIoBX-iL8M%2CyyhvAuE0Pvl65M%2C%2Fm%2F05rz4v&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRJf2MWBbWE2smZnIhtLL_WvltLig&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit24LHos7uAhWFy4UKHbTxBLQQ_B16BAgoEAE#imgrc=tvltFYRd_SCjkM

my hair lost volume but its not visible that i am losing hair on my crown ( i still lost some hair on it too ) , the visible loss is on the temples i just want some regrowth in my crown because i cant really shower or style my hair without losing so much volume that my hair looks flat af and the temples i can hide it

do you think in this case the stack that i listed will help ? i do believe i am in the early stages i am only 18 rn
The problem with Norwood is that a lot of people have thin, crappy hair but full coverage. You will see soon that hair loss is correlated with hair crappiness as well for many folks but not all. Some have perfect fringe but for many, diffuse thinning can look horrible and it is often focused in the crown and temples a bit or a lot as well. You are catching things early so that's a thumbs up.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just done a couple of quick searches but spironolactone seems not to raise estrogen levels or not much anyway. The same goes for CPA. Bica can raise estrogen levels. This is all according to wikipedia however, this is serious stuff and not to be messed around with willy-nilly. AA's are jarring to the system in a way that estrogen is not. They are also synthetic and side-effect laden compared to estrogen.

Then there are the serious health issues which arise quickly:

Bone loss​

Androgen deprivation therapy, with medications such as CPA or GnRH modulators or with orchiectomy, results in profound deficiency of both androgens and estrogens in men.[35][36] These hormones, particularly estrogens, are known to be importantly involved in maintaining bone mineral density, both in men and women.[35][37] As a result, androgen deprivation therapy causes a rapid decrease in bone mineral density in men and can result in osteopenia or osteoporosis with long-term therapy

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with Norwood is that a lot of people have thin, crappy hair but full coverage. You will see soon that hair loss is correlated with hair crappiness as well for many folks but not all. Some have perfect fringe but for many, diffuse thinning can look horrible and it is often focused in the crown and temples a bit or a lot as well. You are catching things early so that's a thumbs up.
yeah but again can my stack make my hair thicker in the areas that i have hair in like crown area? i don't believe its possible to regrow my temples now without a transplant or becoming a trans i just want thicker hair

also that's great to hear i got it early last thing i want is to end up like my uncles lol

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah but again can my stack make my hair thicker in the areas that i have hair in like crown area? i don't believe its possible to regrow my temples now without a transplant or becoming a trans i just want thicker hair

also that's great to hear i got it early last thing i want is to end up like my uncles lol
Was your stack to be RU plus Duta only? I haven't used RU but people say that it is kind of eh but I don't know. I would think about minoxidil, keto and a blue or green dandruff shampoo. Duta might grow some hair for you especially at your age.

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was your stack to be RU plus Duta only? I haven't used RU but people say that it is kind of eh but I don't know. I would think about minoxidil, keto and a blue or green dandruff shampoo. Duta might grow some hair for you especially at your age.
why do people say its eh i heard lots of success stories about it maybe its because they used it on its own without an alpha-reductase inhibitor?

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
also, why is duta better than finasteride i heard that finasteride blocks the type of dht that is active on the hair follicle only and the other dont affect hair loss

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
why do people say its eh i heard lots of success stories about it maybe its because they used it on its own without an alpha-reductase inhibitor?
I would say you should contact Norwoody. He is on all of the time and he is pretty positive about topical RU. Jake, the thing is that when a person goes through the fora, topicals are a huge deal because of systemic absorption issues so the quest is to find something that works without going systemic.

I tend to also analyze efficacy by whether someone posts pics or is willing to share them privately and many like me and others do that sort of as a service to the cohort. I just see people again and again claiming that different things work or might work but eh, as I say. When you ask for pics, they never have them or their phone camera was broken or whatever. Many people on HRT like me are posting progressive pictures over months and even years for @bridgeburn so that people can see exactly how and if the hair comes in. That is uncommon for people on other methods and you will see that many threads halt abruptly without the promised pics.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
also, why is duta better than finasteride i heard that finasteride blocks the type of dht that is active on the hair follicle only and the other dont affect hair loss
To put it in guy speak, dutasteride has better specs than does finasteride. It blocks more reductase and it blocks all three types whereas finasteride at normal dosing lets a fair amount through. But it is unclear whether better specs operate as a bug or rather as a feature. If finasteride works then great but "upgrading" to dutasteride is always an option. This stuff is really complicated as there are different types and locations where reductase inhibitors work. Even when I was taking duta and finasteride, I had terrible dermatitis because my face was apparently synthesizing DHT on its own.

I have a laser hair removal appointment but I will check back later to see if you have an answer that can propel you forward. Goddess bless.

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say you should contact Norwoody. He is on all of the time and he is pretty positive about topical RU. Jake, the thing is that when a person goes through the fora, topicals are a huge deal because of systemic absorption issues so the quest is to find something that works without going systemic.

I tend to also analyze efficacy by whether someone posts pics or is willing to share them privately and many like me and others do that sort of as a service to the cohort. I just see people again and again claiming that different things work or might work but eh, as I say. When you ask for pics, they never have them or their phone camera was broken or whatever. Many people on HRT like me are posting progressive pictures over months and even years for @bridgeburn so that people can see exactly how and if the hair comes in. That is uncommon for people on other methods and you will see that many threads halt abruptly without the promised pics.
thank you i really appreciate ur help

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is that unless people going single shot on AA's get tested, we really have very little idea what is going on. Generally people focus on AA's T-lowering spoof-like qualities and we forget the estrogenic effects that AA's might have. I think someone posted on another thread that Bica raises E2 levels substantially.
Great points. It's crazy how differently all these AAs operate.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

If I was 18 and at NW1.5, I would probably hold off on the finasteride, and I would probably go with something like RU + minoxidil plus dermarolling, maybe SP too, but that's just me. It's just with being young and having nonaggressive loss I'd rather err on the side of caution and "titrate upwards" rather than vice versa. Say if you can handle SP then maybe upgrade to finasteride 0.25mg 3x/week

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately yeah. If we go by "the science" we'll be stuck waiting around until our grandchildren are bald lol. At least it's not quite like jumping into a space shuttle, though for some it may feel that way!

JAKE12321

My Regimen
Reaction score
if I was 18 and at NW1.5, I would probably hold off on the finasteride, and I would probably go with something like RU + minoxidil plus dermarolling, maybe SP too, but that's just me. It's just with being young and having nonaggressive loss I'd rather err on the side of caution and "titrate upwards" rather than vice versa. Say if you can handle SP then maybe upgrade to finasteride 0.25mg 3x/week
nah i'd rather use finasteride and ru to get the regrowth there is this small YouTuber who had a successful experience with ru without minoxidil https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOqJFrIWn-kFPNyh3c26iMw
my uncles and granddad are all bald and my granddad in old pics had the same exact hairline as me at the same age ( 18 ) so i'd rather finasteride