Recommendations On Oral Minoxidil (dosage And Sources)

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all just wondering what recommendations people have surrounding oral minoxidil.
Thinking of getting loxidil forte from here:
https://www.thailandpharmacy.net/product/loxidil-forte-minoxidil-10-mg-100-tablets/

Although if anyone has a better source (in the UK if that matters) please advise

Planning on cutting it into 2.5-5mg to start and see how I react to it, maybe bump things up if I feel necessary. I'm currently using topical min 1xday with no issues and not really sure what the difference in effective dosage is like between the two but I hear oral minoxidil is considerably more effective and also more likely to work as don't have to depend on the existence of that pesky enzyme.

Oh also I assume switching straight from topical to oral is no problem?

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I purchased the same product from Thailand last year. You should start at 2.5 mg per day and see how things go.

On a side note: You will have hair growth all over your body. I now have hair on my hands, shoulders and back. And this "new" hair didn't go away once I stopped taking Loniten.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I purchased the same product from Thailand last year. You should start at 2.5 mg per day and see how things go.

On a side note: You will have hair growth all over your body. I now have hair on my hands, shoulders and back. And this "new" hair didn't go away once I stopped taking Loniten.
Thanks for the reply.

That's probably ok. I'm not a super hairy person to begin with and the dutasteride thinned my body hair out a fair bit anyway so hopefully won't be too far above baseline.
How much were you taking and for how long out of interest? Also what do you mean loniten? Or did you use multiple brands? Oh, and how come you stopped?

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Loniten is the original drug meant to treat high blood pressure. I started at 2.5 mg ed and then 2.5 mg twice per day. My heart was racing out of control one day and I stopped immediately. You should be okay with a low dose but overall I'm not sure the risks are worthwhile.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, it's just you said you bought Loxidil forte? Or by same product did you just mean oral minoxidil?

The limited studies with oral minoxidil for hair growth used it just once a day and showed results, so I will just stick with that. I suppose I could start at 2.5mg but aren't the pills quite small?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, it's just you said you bought Loxidil forte? Or by same product did you just mean oral minoxidil?

The limited studies with oral minoxidil for hair growth used it just once a day and showed results, so I will just stick with that. I suppose I could start at 2.5mg but aren't the pills quite small?

Have you tired topical with Derma rolling?

A lot of people actually struggle at even 2.5 mg per day.
NHS uses 0.625 mg per day
Private clinics in U.S and oz use 0.25 to 2 ish at most.

Google: NHS oral minoxidil
YouTube: oral minoxidil ( some Australian guy gives all info on it, think he’s on 0.25 mg)

It’s strong stuff. Tempted myself though...

Last edited:

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tired topical with Derma rolling?

A lot of people actually struggle at even 2.5 mg per day.
NHS uses 0.625 mg per day
Private clinics in U.S and oz use 0.25 to 2 ish at most.

Google: NHS oral minoxidil
YouTube: oral minoxidil ( some Australian guy gives all info on it, think he’s on 0.25 mg)

It’s strong stuff. Tempted myself though...
I currently use topical and dermastamp every week but since oral seems to work a lot better (and be easier to use of course) I'm gonna be giving it a try.

Yeah from the limited studies on it it does seem that a very small dose works, but I also remember seeing a post from an Asian guy here saying he manages 7.5mg a day without problems so I'm sure it's possible to tolerate. I will try working my way up though. Also since the pills are apparently quite small it'd probably be impossible to cut them down to that small of a dosage, probably 2.5mg is the smallest I could reliably get. I do hear that you need to get over an adjusting period though which is why it's good to taper up with dosage, maybe a lot of people just give up too soon like with most treatments lol.

I think I saw that video you're talking about but will check the NHS site

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only source i can find is thailandpharmacy but they don't accept visa,mastercard etc no idea how to order from them. If you are using oral then expect sides from foam/liquid to be more pronounced, bloated face in particular. You can use good eye serum like this stuff to get rid of dark circles https://www.sr-skincare.co.uk/eye-serum-for-under-eye-dark-circles-with-haloxyl-114-p.asp i have used it and it is good. I would also recommend the use of a retinoid.

spollardo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only source i can find is thailandpharmacy but they don't accept visa,mastercard etc no idea how to order from them. If you are using oral then expect sides from foam/liquid to be more pronounced, bloated face in particular. You can use good eye serum like this stuff to get rid of dark circles https://www.sr-skincare.co.uk/eye-serum-for-under-eye-dark-circles-with-haloxyl-114-p.asp i have used it and it is good. I would also recommend the use of a retinoid.
Yes thailandpharmacy is where I ordered from, they do bank transfers. Not too worried about sides since edema isn't too common even at relatively higher doses and even then it tends to be in the legs/feet. But thanks for the recommendations!

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Be so much easier if private clinics compounded it here, like they do in the U.S and oz.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Loniten is the name brand in the U.S. Loxidil forte is simply the name of the generic made in Thailand.

The pills are quite small but I didn't have an issue splitting them with my pill splitter.

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took 10mg of loniten daily with no problems and good growth

ValiantThor

My Regimen
Reaction score
My brother was prescribed 5mg daily. 6+ months, no issues, good regrowth. Prescribed by Dr Path in Thailand after his hair transplant.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started oral minoxidil today at 2.5 mg. I will report back with sides and/or benefits. My first post at HairLossTalk.com:)

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Felt some fluid retention after first dose of 2.5 mg. Tightness in fingers, took a day off then resumed with 1.25 mg following day. So far so good

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to take a break from oral min due to my vanity. No really into the way it makes my face look, kind of puffy and tired. I'll still be using my topical homebrew of with min and finasteride.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Late to the party but I think the minimum effective dose is 5mg. I'm currently using 10mg - 12.5mg

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im taking 5mg at night and have no issues with that dosage, i think lower dosages would work, but since im having no issues im just sticking with 5mg. I think a studies showed between 2.5 and 5mg went systematic when liquid minoxidil was applied to the entire scalp.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Late to the party but I think the minimum effective dose is 5mg. I'm currently using 10mg - 12.5mg
Hey, have you heard of sides going away with continued use of oral min? I really hate to have to give up this part of my regimen but with only 2.5 mg I could actually feel significant water retention.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, have you heard of sides going away with continued use of oral min? I really hate to have to give up this part of my regimen but with only 2.5 mg I could actually feel significant water retention.

Are you taking it in the morning or at night?