Experienced Member
Reaction score
My green tea arrived yesterday.

PH302.gif

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 capsule
Servings Per Container: 100

Amount Per Serving %DV

Opteava® Green Tea 95% Extract (standardized to provide 95% polyphenols, 688.8 mg) 725.0 mg *

Polyphenol Breakdown:

Total Polyphenol Concentration 688.8 mg *

Epigallocatchin Gallate (EGCG) (standardized to provide 40% EGCG) 290.0 mg *

Catechins (standardized to provide 15% catechins) 108.6 mg *

Other Polyphenols 290 mg *

* Daily Value not established

EDIT: Have a break, have a Kit Kat:-

kitkat3.jpg

Limited edition green tea flavoured Kit Kat

http://www.japannewbie.com/archives/000167.html

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Well I just cranked up my green tea intake . . .

I was taking 1000 mg of supplements and 2 - 3 cups of hot green tea daily - but now I've added 3 cups of iced green tea daily . . .

why and how?

well instead of drinking water w/ my AM vitamins, I now wash them down w/ iced green tea.

Also, a few months back I bought 3 bottles of organic ACV, 1 bottle for the shower w/ cayenne, and, 1 bottle for work and 1 bottle for home just to drink. It tasted so god-awful, even cut w/ water, that I just abandoned it. But there's been so much in the news lately about how good 1 tablespoon of acv, 2 x daily, is for you (weight loss, cholesterol levels, diabetes, etc) that I thought I'd try and go back to it.

So now I dump 1 tblspn of ACV into a nice cold glass of iced green tea, 2x daily, and it's much more palatable than mixing it in water. Does wonders for my acid reflux - which is why I wanted to start drinking the stuff in the first place.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
sublime said:
hair transplant - It is pretty good if you mix it with 1 spoonful of honey. Really helps the fact that it tastes like a bottle of mad dog 20/20.

Y'know I tried that - but the honey didn't dissolve - it just crystalized because the tea was cold.

I bought a bottle of Arizona Iced Tea flavored w/ honey and that really went down good - but that tea also has some other not so good junk in it (not 100% natural & pure).

So, I brewed up a quart of green tea at home and just dropped a slice of lemon into the jug. Not nearly as good as honey - but sure helps.

Britannia

Reaction score
Has anyone tried blue tea?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
camobear777 said:
Will the Green Tea pills give you the same health benefits of drinking 5 cups of Green Tea Daily?

I'm not the expert - but the green tea tabs are loaded w/ antioxidants and do have some health benefits associated with them. They sure won't hurt ya.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think 400mg of cachetins is equal to around 8-10 glasses of green tea. So the pills are a lot easier to work into your daily schedule and do not make you visit the bathroom as much.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
According to studies 1 and 2, equol production can be increased by a low fat meat based diet. This is not obviously good for me but these studies were in no way long term. It does come down to the micro flora in your intestine according to all the studies I have read.

Study 1:

Long-term dietary habits affect soy isoflavone metabolism and accumulation in prostatic fluid in caucasian men.

Hedlund Telogen Effluvium, Maroni PD, Ferucci PG, Dayton R, Barnes S, Jones K, Moore R, Ogden LG, Wahala K, Sackett HM, Gray KJ.

School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, The University of Colorado Cancer Center, Denver, USA. Tammy.Hedlund@UCHSC.edu

The soy isoflavones daidzein and genistein are believed to reduce prostate cancer risk in soy consumers. However, daidzein can be metabolized by the intestinal flora to form a variety of compounds with different bioactivities. In the current study, we investigated the influence of long-term dietary habits on daidzein metabolism in healthy Caucasian men (19-65 y old). A secondary goal was to compare plasma and prostatic fluid concentrations of 5 isoflavonoids: genistein, daidzein, equol, dihydrodaidzein, and O-desmethylangolensin. Baseline plasma levels of isoflavonoids were quantitated in 45 men by HPLC-electrospray ionization-MS. Participants then consumed a soy beverage daily for 1 wk, and post-soy isoflavonoid levels were quantitated in plasma and prostatic fluid. Equol was the only metabolite that appeared to be influenced by routine dietary habits. Stratified analyses revealed that men who had consumed > or =30 mg soy isoflavones/d for at least 2 y had 5.3-times the probability of producing equol than men who had consumed < or =5 mg/d (P = 0.014). Additionally, those men who consumed animal meat regularly had 4.7-times the probability of producing equol than men who did not consume meat (P = 0.023). Equol production was not linked to age, BMI, or the consumption of yogurt, dairy, fruit, or American-style fast food. Daidzein and its metabolites (but not genistein) were typically present at higher levels in prostate fluid than plasma (median = 4-13 times that in plasma). In conclusion, our data suggest that the ability of Caucasian men to produce equol is favorably influenced by the long-term consumption of high amounts of soy and the consumption of meat. Last, the high concentrations of isoflavonoids in prostatic fluid increases the potential for these compounds to have direct effects in the prostate.

Study 2:

Interindividual variation in metabolism of soy isoflavones and lignans: influence of habitual diet on equol production by the gut microflora.

Rowland IR, Wiseman H, Sanders TA, Adlercreutz H, Bowey EA.

Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health, University of Ulster, UK.

The soy isoflavones, daidzein and genistein, and the lignans, matairesinol and secoisolariciresinol, are phytoestrogens metabolized extensively by the intestinal microflora. Considerable important evidence is already available that shows extensive interindividual variation in isoflavone metabolism, and we have investigated the extent of this variation in a crossover study of a soy-containing food low or high in isoflavones (each treatment period lasted for 17 days, and the 2 treatment periods were separated by a 25-day washout period) in 24 healthy subjects [19 women and 5 men, mean age 30 yr, range 19-40, mean body mass index 22.5 +/- 3.5 (SD) kg/m2]. There was a 16-fold variation in total isoflavonoid excretion in urine after the high-isoflavone treatment period. The variation in urinary equol excretion was greatest (664-fold), and subjects fell into two groups: poor equol excretors and good equol excretors (36%). A significant negative correlation was found between the proportion of energy from fat in the habitual diet and urinary equol excretion (r = -0.55; p = 0.012). Good equol excretors consumed less fat as percentage of energy than poor excretors (26 +/- 2.3% compared with 35 +/- 1.6%, p < 0.01) and more carbohydrate as percentage of energy than poor excretors (55 +/- 2.9% compared with 47 +/- 1.7%, p < 0.05). Interindividual variation in the urinary excretion of O-desmethyl-angolensin (O-DMA) was also apparent (76-fold after the high-isoflavone treatment period), but there was no relationship between equol excretion and O-DMA excretion. Enterolactone was the major lignan metabolite in urine and plasma but showed less interindividual variation than equol and O-DMA. It is suggested that the dietary fat intake decreases the capacity of gut microbial flora to synthesize equol.

omgstfuty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, Ive started drinking green tea since I first started posting on this foroum, and I think its doing good stuff for me, It gives me a very healthy glow.
I was in the health shop yesterday, and the women mentioned white tea, she said that its got a lot more benefits to drinking it then green tea.
It tastes quite nice aswell, its not as bitter as green tea, anybody tried some at all?
Cheers.

Hair Gnome

Reaction score
For green teas, is it terrible to use anything but stuff you brew yourself? There are a lot of pre-made green teas in the supermarket akin to an Arizona Iced Tea and the like.

Am I ok drinking those? I like the taste, and am trying to cut down my cola and coffee intake for health reasons. If the pre-made versions are just as bad I'll knuckle down and make my own.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Those are all sugar-based crap-- a lot like sodas.

Go to a grocery store, buy a packet of 50, and brew it in the morning.

Don't add anything-- maybe a sweetner. That's it.

Enjoy.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Hair Gnome said:
For green teas, is it terrible to use anything but stuff you brew yourself? There are a lot of pre-made green teas in the supermarket akin to an Arizona Iced Tea and the like.

Am I ok drinking those? I like the taste, and am trying to cut down my cola and coffee intake for health reasons. If the pre-made versions are just as bad I'll knuckle down and make my own.

1. You're much better off drinking Arizona Iced Green Tea than coffree or sodas;

2. But as aplunk says - you're even better off getting a box of Lipton's Green Tea Bags from your local supermarket and making your own iced tea.

Having said all that, I go through about 2 of those large $1.00 cans of Arizona Iced Green Tea per week (w/ ginseng and honey). I'll place a tablespoon of organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass full of Arizona Iced Tea and chug it down. (That'll wake your arse up in the morning way more than a cup pf coffee :)

Hair Gnome

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input!

I stopped at my local coffee shop on the way to work and got a green tea with lemon and honey. I figure I can stop the honey after I get used to the taste.

I also purchased a box of the tea they use, Revolution Green Tea, to keep on hand at the office for my afternoon cuppa.

JustBreathe

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys should do yourself a favour and try some Gyokuro.

Pretty much the best tea you can get outside of Japan.
There is a tea store in Sydney called Taka Tea Gardens which is where i get mine, retails for about $40 for 40 grams...yea expensive i know, but it's nowhere near bitter if you brew it right.

I swear it's like good health in a cup.

After your pot of tea you can eat the leaves, which kinda taste like spinach :D

anyway i hit three pots of this stuff a day and it makes everything seem better, im always amazed by how many benefits there are to green tea.

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
I love Green Tea and drink it daily. Here are some more health benefits from drinking Green Tea. Cheers

Green Tea contains EGCG, a powerful antioxidant 200
times more potent than vitamin E

It is rich in bioflavonoid, and protects against digestive and
respiratory infections

Green Tea Helps decreases hormone activity

Green Tea is anti-bacterial, helps lower cholesterol, reduces
inflammation and lowers blood pressure

It also help prevent some forms of cancer including colon,
pancreatic, and stomach cancer

Green Tea stimulates the immune system, and helps
defend against dental plaque

Green Tea also protects against liver damage

Green Tea also

Helps maintain normal cell growth

Help burn extra fat and calories

and maintain good cardiovascular health

Felk

Reaction score
I love green tea and know of some of it's benefits, but think a lot of those claims are very vague and general, to put it lightly.

camobear777 said:
Green Tea Helps decreases hormone activity

...which of the multitude of hormones are they talking about? :hairy: