Reasons to drink green tea.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Cooldar said:
You guys should try altitudetea's oolong or jasmine pearl.

. Not much of a selection from altitude. They only have one kind of green and it's way over priced if you ask me. $19 for 4oz. It's tea not gold dust :lol: What I like about Adagio is there are over 20 different flavors of green tea alone. They also make the best tasting Black teas I've had.
Gardner....if you want a black tea recommendation try the "assam melody" from adagio. It has a little bite to it. Their yunnan jig is good too.

Tried white with a free sample they sent me and I agree as well..Truly disgusting.
For the Herbal Tea lovers.....Their Chamomile is great.

Cassin

Reaction score
Just found this on chamomile.

chamomile

What Is It?
Health Benefits
Forms
Dosage Information
Guidelines for Use
General Interaction
Possible Side Effects
Cautions

What Is It?

One of the safest medicinal herbs, chamomile is a soothing, gentle relaxant that has been shown to work for a variety of complaints from stress to menstrual cramps. This herb has a satisfying, applelike aroma and flavor (the name chamomile is derived from the Greek kamai melon, meaning ground apple), and it's most often taken as a delicious, mild therapeutic tea. Concentrated extracts of chamomile are also added to healing creams and lotions or packaged as pills and tinctures.

Two species of chamomile--German chamomile and Roman chamomile--are used in healing and both work equally well. In North America and central Europe, products made from the German--sometimes called Hungarian--chamomile (Matricaria recutita) are the most widely available. In Great Britain, Roman (or English) chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile or Anthemis nobilis) is more commonly sold.

Health Benefits

Although best known as a muscle relaxant and antispasmodic, chamomile also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory capabilities. The plant's healing properties come from its daisylike flowers, which contain volatile oils (including bisabolol, bisabolol oxides A and B, and matricin) as well as flavonoids (particularly a compound called apinegin) and other therapeutic substances. Chamomile may be used internally or externally.

Specifically, chamomile may help to:

Promote general relaxation and relieve stress. Animal studies show that chamomile contains substances that act on the same parts of the brain and nervous system as antianxiety drugs. Never stop taking prescription medications, however, without consulting your doctor.

Control insomnia. Chamomile's mildly sedating and muscle-relaxing effects can help those who suffer from insomnia to fall asleep more easily.

Treat diverticular disease, irritable bowel problems and various gastrointestinal complaints. Chamomile's anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic actions relax the smooth muscles lining the stomach and intestine. The herb can therefore help to relieve nausea, heartburn, and stress-related flatulence. It may also be useful in the treatment of diverticular disorders and inflammatory bowel conditions such as Crohn's disease.

Soothe skin rashes (including eczema), minor burns and sunburn. Used as a lotion or added in oil form to a cool bath, chamomile eases the itching of eczema and other rashes and reduces skin inflammation. It can also speed healing and prevent bacterial infection.

Treat eye inflammation and infection. Cooled chamomile tea can be used in a compress to help soothe tired, irritated eyes and it may even help treat conjunctivitis.

Heal mouth sores and prevent gum disease. A chamomile mouthwash can help soothe mouth inflammations and keep gums healthy.

Reduce menstrual cramps. Chamomile's ability to relax the smooth muscles of the uterus helps ease the discomfort of menstrual cramping.
Note: Chamomile has also been found to be useful for a number of other disorders. For information on these additional ailments, see our Dosage Recommendations Chart for Chamomile.

Forms

tincture
oil
lotion
dried herb/tea
cream
capsule
Dosage Information

Special tips:
--Because chamomile is available in so many forms, it's important to read the labels for exact dosage. Look for pills and tinctures formulated with concentrated extracts of chamomile that contain at least 1% apigenin, one of the herb's key healing ingredients.

--Many people use chamomile tea for healing. It's important to know the proper brewing method: Use 2 teaspoons of dried flowers for each 8 ounces of water. Pour very hot (not boiling) water over the flowers, steep for 5 minutes, and then strain.

For muscle relaxation and antispasmodic effects: Drink two or three cups of chamomile tea a day (many people find that the process of simply brewing and drinking the pleasantly fragrant tea can have a relaxing effect). Or take 2 or 3 capsules or 2 or 3 teaspoons of tincture.

For insomnia: Drink a cup of double-strength chamomile tea at bedtime or take 1 capsule or 1 teaspoon of tincture. Alternatively, put half a cup of dried chamomile flowers in some cheesecloth, tie it up, and place it under the running water as you fill a tub; the resulting fragrant bath will produce a relaxing effect.

To soothe rashes, mild burns or sunburn: For quick relief of mild burns or sunburn, apply a dressing soaked in freshly made chamomile tea; cool the tea quickly in the freezer or with ice cubes first. Alternatively, add 10 drops of chamomile oil, or several cups of chamomile tea, to a cool bath (this also helps dry skin). Another option is to mix a few drops of chamomile oil into 1/2 ounce of almond oil (or another neutral oil) and apply it directly to the skin. Finally, you can apply a ready-made chamomile cream or lotion to the affected area three or four times a day.

For eye problems: Prepare a strong cup of chamomile tea, cool it, soak a washcloth in it and place it over the closed eye three times daily. Make fresh tea daily and store it in a sterile container.
Be sure to check out our Dosage Recommendations Chart for Chamomile, which lists therapeutic dosages for specific ailments at a glance.

Guidelines for Use

Chamomile is so gentle and safe at recommended dosages that you can use it long-term without risk.

The effects of chamomile tea are cumulative. To get the maximum benefit, it should be drunk regularly, even if you're not suffering from a specific ailment; this is because each cup of tea prepared from chamomile flowers contains only a small percentage of the plant's therapeutic volatile oils.

Some chamomile lotions and creams sold as beauty products actually contain very little chamomile. Their fragrance makes them pleasant to use, but they are not actually therapeutic. For maximum healing effect, look for preparations with at least 3% chamomile.

General Interaction

There are no known drug or nutrient interactions associated with chamomile.

Possible Side Effects

Chamomile is generally considered safe and nontoxic. Side effects are extremely rare.

If you suffer from allergies to plants of the Compositae family (a large group including such flowers as daisies, ragweed, asters and chrysanthemums), you may wish to be cautious about using chamomile at first. While there have been isolated reports of allergic reactions, causing skin rashes and bronchial constriction, most people can use this herb with no problem.

Cautions

When using chamomile to treat burns, choose creams or tea-soaked dressings instead of greasy ointments. Ointments contain oils that can hold in heat and prevent air from getting at the wound. This can slow healing and actually increase the risk of infection.
Ailments Dosage
Acne Add 1 tsp. liquid extract to hot, not boiling water, and let cool. Rinse face. Or follow package instructions on chamomile cream.
Burns Use a strong tea: 2 or 3 tsp. dried herb for each cup of hot water. Cool quickly in freezer. Or add 2 tbsp. liquid extract to 1/4 cup cool water. Apply tea-soaked cloth to the burn for about 15 minutes.
Crohn's Disease As a tea: Pour 8 ounces hot water over 1 tbsp. of dried herb or 1 tsp. liquid extract; drink up to 3 times a day.
Gum Disease Use 1 cup cooled tea as a mouthwash. Or mix 1 tsp. liquid extract into 1/4 cup of water and swish around in your mouth.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 2 or 3 cups tea a day; or 200-350 mg capsule (flowers and leaf) 3 times a day; or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid extract 3 times a day
Stress Drink 2 or 3 cups tea a day.
Sunburn For mild burns: Add 10 drops essential oil to a cool bath and soak for 30 minutes. Use with lavender oil.
For more serious burns: Mix a few drops essential oil with 1/2 ounce almond oil (or other neutral oil) and apply to skin twice a day; use with lavender oil. Chamomile cream applied to the affected area several times a day also promotes healing

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s ... 66,00.html

mindovermatter

Reaction score
Green Tea gum

I just bought some green tea gum at Walmart, it was in the same isle with all the other supplements. It's pretty good, but sometimes it breaks down(apart) in your mouth after a while. I like it though. It also claims that 1 piece is like drinking 4 cups of tea.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
great chamomile post Cassin...I've been drinking this stuff for years. It can definitely calm you down and/or aid an upset stomach. It really helps me to sleep.

Cassin....try the Celestial Seasonings brand. It doesn't taste much different than the loose leaf stuff I get. The taste of chamomile takes a little getting used to though. It's really good when mixed with mint.

Cassin

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Cassin....try the Celestial Seasonings brand. It doesn't taste much different than the loose leaf stuff I get. The taste of chamomile takes a little getting used to though. It's really good when mixed with mint.

Thats the only brand I can stand. I love celestial seasonings. Good price and taste.

chamomile sort of has a buttery apple flavor to it.....good stuff!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I hear Billy Blanks drinks this after his workouts
072.gif

The Gardener

Reaction score
.... And one and two, and lift and two, and one and two, and knee bends, and two, and punch left! punch right!.. and one and two and KICK and two...

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
This was a product endorsement that arrived in my personal e-mail accnt today. The company is actually hawking green tea suplents, not the brewed Telogen Effluvium, but they still provided an interesting read.

~ Regards, H_T

-----

LONGEVITY NEWS
The Longevity News is a publication of Young Again Nutrients April 29, 2005, No 285

Dear Friend,

Green Tea Supplement Prevents Prostate Cancer in High-Risk Men
American Association for Cancer Research, April 20, 2005
Researchers believe green tea catechins have powerful antioxidant properties

WEDNESDAY, April 20 -- A supplement containing antioxidants from green tea was 90 percent effective in preventing prostate cancer in men at high risk for the disease.

There are many benefits to drinking green tea, but you'll need to drink 12 cups a day to get the amount of catehins consumed in the study.

That's the conclusion of an Italian study that found after a year of taking green tea catechins, only one man in a group of 32 who were at higher risk of prostate cancer actually developed the disease, while nine men in a group of 30 high-risk men who took a placebo developed prostate cancer.

'To our knowledge, this is the first study showing that green tea catechins (GTC) have potent chemoprevention activity for human prostate cancer,' said study author Saverio Bettuzzi, an associate professor of biochemistry in the School of Medicine at the University of Parma in Italy.

Findings from the study were presented April 20 at the American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting, in Anaheim, Calif.

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer affecting men. More than 230,000 American men are diagnosed with this disease each year, according to the American Cancer Society. Since many prostate cancers are found in their early stages, about 99 percent of those diagnosed can expect to live at least five years, while up to 92 percent survive for at least 10 years after their diagnosis. However, prostate cancer can be deadly. The disease claims the lives of more than 30,000 men in the United States annually, making it the second largest cancer killer in men.

Bettuzzi explained that while other studies, including his own previous work, had shown that green tea could inhibit prostate cancer cell growth in laboratory models, the researchers wanted to know if it would work in humans.

They recruited 62 men at high risk of developing prostate cancer because they already had precancerous lesions, which often turn into cancer within a year.

The men were between the ages of 45 and 75. The researchers excluded vegetarians because they may already have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer, men who already consumed green tea, and men taking antioxidant supplements or hormone therapy.

Thirty two of the men were asked to take a 200-milligram pill containing green tea catechins three times daily for a year; the other 30 men were given a placebo.

Biopsies were conducted at six months, and then again a year later.

Remarkably, only one man in the treatment group was diagnosed with prostate cancer, while nine men in the control group developed the disease.

'A projection of our data suggests that up to 90 percent of chemoprevention efficacy could be obtained by GTC administration in men prone to developing prostate cancer such as the elderly, African-Americans and those with a family history of prostate cancer,' Bettuzzi said.

However, Bettuzzi isn't recommending that men start treating themselves with green tea or green tea supplements. He said to consume an amount equivalent to that used in the study, you would have to drink 12 to 15 cups of tea daily, and that while supplements are commercially available, their quality cannot be assured and they may contain caffeine, or more alarmingly, pesticides or other contaminants.

'This is a very interesting observation that deserves to be studied further,' said Dr. Jay Brooks, chairman of hematology and oncology at the Ochsner Clinic Foundation Hospital in New Orleans. But, he added, 'Personally, I am not recommending that my patients do this.'

Bettuzzi also said his findings need to be confirmed in a larger study.

In the meantime, Brooks said that if you're concerned about prostate cancer, be sure you maintain a healthy body weight because obesity increases your risk. And, he said, make sure you go to your doctor for proper prostate cancer screening.

In other prostate cancer news presented at the same meeting, researchers from the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia announced that the trace mineral selenium, in combination with other cancer-fighting agents, may make an even more powerful therapy. When a selenium metabolite, dubbed MSA, was combined with a chemotherapy known as TRAIL, more cancer cells underwent self-inflicted cell death (apoptosis). TRAIL alone can induce apoptosis in malignant cells, but some cancer cells are resistant to this therapy.

'The combination of TRAIL and MSA may be a novel strategy for the development of innovative therapeutic modalities targeting apoptosis-resistant forms of prostate cancer,' said lead researcher Dr. Vladimir Kolenko.

More information
For more information on tea's potential cancer prevention abilities, search the Young Again Site for neumerous articels and studies on green tea.

SOURCES: Saverio Bettuzzi, Ph.D., associate professor, biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of Parma, Italy; Jay Brooks, M.D., chairman, hematology/oncology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation Hospital, New Orleans; April 19, 2005, presentation, American Association for Cancer Research, annual meeting, Anaheim, Calif.

Young Againb's Green Telogen Effluvium Extract is caffeine-free and has 97% Polyphenels and Cachechins. One capsule is the equivalent of 3-5 cups of hot tea. learn more at GREEN TEA 97% Polyphenels

During the months of April and May we are including it Free when you purchase a 90-Day Supply of Maximum Prostate, Lyco-Prostate or the Healthy Prostate Packs.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, would other green tea products such as:

green tea ice cream, those bottled green tea drinks that are mixed with other fruits, etc... have a similar effect to the actual brewed tea?

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I could only imagine your favorites list going off the screen when you click the drop down list since you provided that many links just for green tea. Just out of curiosity... how many columns of favorite sites do you have? Also at what resolution?

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
A team from Newcastle University found green and black tea inhibited the activity of key enzymes in the brain associated with memory.
The researchers hope their findings, published in Phytotherapy Research, may lead to the development of a new treatment for Alzheimer's Disease. ……….

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3951003.stm

Trust me those guys are smart, i studied there...they only accept the very cream you see :roll:

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
i drink 1 cup a day... some of the articles from the links suggest 4-10 cups a day... isn't that a little too much?

and how else are you supposed to brew green tea? i take the teabag and pour in hot/boiled water into it. one of the articles said not to do this but i don't understand how else you would go about brewing green tea.

Cassin

Reaction score
pleasehelpme said:
i drink 1 cup a day... some of the articles from the links suggest 4-10 cups a day... isn't that a little too much?

and how else are you supposed to brew green tea? i take the teabag and pour in hot/boiled water into it. one of the articles said not to do this but i don't understand how else you would go about brewing green tea.

1 cup a day is just fine. Anymore is almost a hobby! It is easy for me to drink 4 cups or so since I have a water fountain with a hot water spout next to it 10 yeards from my desk.

The article means that you should not to put the tea in boiling water to steep it. So don't put a cup in the microwave.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
(from msn.com 06/16/2005)

Top 10 Health Benefits of Drinking Tea

by Lynn Grieger, RD, CD, CDE
More from iVillage
Tea's Company
"What's the Hype: Herbal Tea
The Health Benefits of Tea

There are lots of reasons why I enjoy a hot cup of tea: I love the aroma of various flavors of tea; holding onto a hot tea mug warms my hands on a cold winter morning; sipping tea in front of the fireplace is a great way to relax. And those are just the feel-good reasons. If you're not drinking tea yet, read up on these 10 ways tea does your body good and then see if you're ready to change your Starbucks order!

1. Tea contains antioxidants. Like the Rust-Oleum paint that keeps your outdoor furniture from rusting, tea's antioxidants protect your body from the ravages of aging and the effects of pollution.

2. Tea has less caffeine than coffee. Coffee usually has two to three times the caffeine of tea (unless you're a fan of Morning Thunder, which combines caffeine with mate, an herb that acts like caffeine in our body). An eight-ounce cup of coffee contains around 135 mg caffeine; tea contains only 30 to 40 mg per cup. If drinking coffee gives you the jitters, causes indigestion or headaches or interferes with sleep -- switch to tea.

3. Tea may reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. Unwanted blood clots formed from cholesterol and blood platelets cause heart attack and stroke. Drinking tea may help keep your arteries smooth and clog-free, the same way a drain keeps your bathroom pipes clear. A 5.6-year study from the Netherlands found a 70 percent lower risk of fatal heart attack in people who drank at least two to three cups of black tea daily compared to non-tea drinkers.

4. Tea protects your bones. It's not just the milk added to tea that builds strong bones. One study that compared tea drinkers with non-drinkers, found that people who drank tea for 10 or more years had the strongest bones, even after adjusting for age, body weight, exercise, smoking and other risk factors. The authors suggest that this may be the work of tea's many beneficial phytochemicals.

5. Tea gives you a sweet smile. One look at the grimy grin of Austin Powers and you may not think drinking tea is good for your teeth, but think again. It's the sugar added to it that's likely to blame for England's bad dental record. Tea itself actually contains fluoride and tannins that may keep plaque at bay. So add unsweetened tea drinking to your daily dental routine of brushing and flossing for healthier teeth and gums.

6. Tea bolsters your immune defenses. Drinking tea may help your body's immune system fight off infection. When 21 volunteers drank either five cups of tea or coffee each day for four weeks, researchers saw higher immune system activity in the blood of the tea drinkers.

7. Tea protects against cancer. Thank the polyphenols, the antioxidants found in tea, once again for their cancer-fighting effects. While the overall research is inconclusive, there are enough studies that show the potential protective effects of drinking tea to make adding tea to your list of daily beverages.

8. Tea helps keep you hydrated. Caffeinated beverages, including tea, used to be on the list of beverages that didn't contribute to our daily fluid needs. Since caffeine is a diuretic and makes us pee more, the thought was that caffeinated beverages couldn't contribute to our overall fluid requirement. However, recent research has shown that the caffeine really doesn't matter -- tea and other caffeinated beverages definitely contribute to our fluid needs. The only time the caffeine becomes a problem as far as fluid is concerned is when you drink more than five or six cups of a caffeinated beverage at one time.

9. Tea is calorie-free. Tea doesn't have any calories, unless you add sweetener or milk. Consuming even 250 fewer calories per day can result in losing one pound per week. If you're looking for a satisfying, calorie-free beverage, tea is a top choice.

10. Tea increases your metabolism. Lots of people complain about a slow metabolic rate and their inability to lose weight. Green tea has been shown to actually increase metabolic rate so that you can burn 70 to 80 additional calories by drinking just five cups of green tea per day. Over a year's time you could lose eight pounds just by drinking green tea. Of course, taking a 15-minute walk every day will also burn calories.

1. Which tea is better -- green, black, white?
There really isn't enough difference to get overly excited about. All teas generally contain the same amount of flavonoids. Green and black tea come from the same plants, but green tea is dried for a shorter time and doesn't go through a fermenting process used for black tea.

2. Are decaffeinated teas just as good for you?
Some companies use chemicals to decaffeinate tea; others use a water process. The chemical process removes more of the beneficial polyphenols, so read labels carefully when choosing decaf.

3. How do you brew a perfect cup of tea?
For hot tea:
Bring one cup of water per tea bag, or teaspoon of dried tea, to a rolling boil.
Measure the tea into a glass container (plastic and metal pick up unwanted flavors).
Pour the boiling water over your tea and steep to the desired strength. Steep too long and you'll get an acidic taste.
For iced tea:
Brew your tea with boiling water, as described above.
Chill with ice and keep in the fridge.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Look at us young bucks sat around like little old ladies at a tea party discussing green tea, jeez where have all the real men gone? They're dead ofcourse, because they didn't drink enough GREEN TEA!!!! :freaked2:

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I had a bottle of Lipton's Iced Green Tea w/ Citrus recently (a gang of street punks started giving me sh*t about drinking Green Tea and I beat the sh*t out of all of them w/ the full bottle :). (no, kidding :)

Seriously though - it tasted OK - and was a nice break from kickin' back a bottle of Coke.

G

I like that Arizona Ice Tea stuff. Its good. They make Arizone Green Tea... I love that stuff ice cold on a hot summer day. :D

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
Green tea alone elevates DHT-levels...

Hi There!

Maybe interesting to know that there also could be interaction effects with green tea (like with every other subtance). In this article DHT-levels (in the prostate) are actually elevated by green tea, except when used with soy, than it will reduce DHT-levels,

feel informed:

Soy phytochemicals and tea bioactive components synergistically inhibit androgen-sensitive human prostate tumors in mice.

Zhou JR, Yu L, Zhong Y, Blackburn GL.

Nutrition/Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA. jrzhou@caregroup.harvard.edu

Although high doses of single bioactive agents may have potent anticancer effects, the chemopreventive properties of the Asian diet may result from interactions among several components that potentiate the activities of any single constituent. In Asia, where intake of soy products and tea consumption are very high, aggressive prostate cancer is significantly less prevalent in Asian men. The objective of the present study was to identify possible synergistic effects between soy and tea components on prostate tumor progression in a mouse model of orthotopic androgen-sensitive human prostate cancer. Soy phytochemical concentrate (SPC), black tea and green tea were compared with respect to tumorigenicity rate, primary tumor growth, tumor proliferation index and microvessel density, serum androgen level and metastases to lymph nodes. SPC, black tea and green tea significantly reduced tumorigenicity. SPC and black tea also significantly reduced final tumor weights. Green tea did not reduce final tumor weight, although it tended to elevate (P = 0.14) the serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration. The combination of SPC and black tea synergistically inhibited prostate tumorigenicity, final tumor weight and metastases to lymph nodes in vivo. The combination of SPC and green tea synergistically inhibited final tumor weight and metastasis and significantly reduced serum concentrations of both testosterone and DHT in vivo. Inhibition of tumor progression was associated with reduced tumor cell proliferation and tumor angiogenesis. This study suggests that further research is warranted to study the role of soy and tea combination as effective nutritional regimens in prostate cancer prevention.